• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Drugs for healing trauma

So basically, does everyone seem to think if I want to heal through the use of psychedelics I have to 100% get off all anti-depressants?

In my experience, yes. I notice in myself and others that alternative therapeutic modalities - even something like acupuncture - are not as effective in the presence of pharmaceuticals. Pharmaceuticals have specific action whereas entheogens have diverse action. One thing you could try is stopping pharmaceuticals temporarily in order to achieve clearance, and then do psychedelics. After the trip, you may opt to return to the pharmaceuticals.

I'm not a doctor so don't act solely on my advice. I have just found for myself that pharmaceutical anti-depressants behave like blockers to the true therapeutic value of entheogens.

Ultimately you need to listen to yourself and your own needs. There's no "one size fits all" approach here, hence the diversity of psychedelic research happening.

In my experience, yes. I notice in myself and others that alternative therapeutic modalities - even something like acupuncture - are not as effective in the presence of pharmaceuticals. Pharmaceuticals have specific action whereas entheogens have diverse action. One thing you could try is stopping pharmaceuticals temporarily in order to achieve clearance, and then do psychedelics. After the trip, you may opt to return to the pharmaceuticals.

I'm not a doctor so don't act solely on my advice. I have just found for myself that pharmaceutical anti-depressants behave like blockers to the true therapeutic value of entheogens.

Ultimately you need to listen to yourself and your own needs. There's no "one size fits all" approach here, hence the diversity of psychedelic research happening.

Well, at least for now I can't get off ALL anti-depressants, at least I will probably need SOME kind of antidepressant, maybe Wellbutrin instead which would probably interfere less, but I don't see it as probably being good for my mental health not to be on anything. I'm gonna probably get a new psych. soon so I'll see.

I mean I HAVE had good experiences on shrooms while on SSRIs so they DO work, and the experiences FEEL therapeutic so long as they actually LAST, it's whether or not they'd be more likely to having lasting anti-depressant effects if I wasn't on anti-depressants that is the question, but then again, I had a friend who never believed in the power of psychedelics to be healing at all (I disagree...) even though he was NEVER on meds, so I probably got more out of them than he did so I am not sure I agree with you.

What about Ketamine though?

I hear that isn't negatively effected so much by SSRIs in terms of treating depression.

Do you think that might work better for depression even while on an SSRI or antidepressant?

It's interchangeable really. Seizures are defined as particulates of epilepsy, epilepsy is defined as a tendency to seizures. It's basically neuronal short-circuit, and the group of people prone to neuronal short-circuit. Any further appearance of concreteness is show. You obviously don't want any increased risk in that direction, but it's not a preposterous risk to take either if that just happens to be the situation you're in. You're obviously not invested in making the AD thing work, and so if you can get away with even shitty trips then you will gladly do so. I can't blame you.

People on erowid seem to survive combos with wellbutrin. Weed seems worse than shrooms or acid. So shit's whack basically.

The usual rules apply for when you're on your own. Introduce new things one at a time, and take no experience prior to the wellbutrin for granted. Concerning dose, err on the side of caution, and work your way up from there.

Also consider that microdosings might be the most sensible thing to explore in your situation.

Well, it's NOT interchangeable as far as actually DEVELOPING LIFE LONG EPILEPSY (which I'm not sure can even happen to a full grown adult). I have a friend who had epilepsy (cured through brain surgery) and it was HELL for him and he needed meds and all that, so I mean, I don't believe I'd develop life long epilepsy from the combo or that that is possible. Is it?

What do you mean about "not invested in making the AD thing work"?

You mean with my current anti-depressant (Lexapro), with another, or using psychs as anti-depressants?

i am probably getting a new psychiatrist soon and you're right, I already know my current Lexapro doesn't work well and neither did Prozac, so SSRIs are probably not the thing for me, but I AM invested in making SOMETHING (prescribed or not...) work for my depression and anxiety.

Yes, I have had GOOD trips on shrooms while on both an SSRI (first Prozac and later Lexapro) AND my benzo (Klonopin), and I know first hand and from what everyone says that they dull trips (I've nothing to compare them to though, as while I have tripped while not on benzos I've ALWAYS been on an SSRI while tripping) and posters here have essentially told me there's no point in tripping while on either, but I disagree with them and maintain that I disagree because I have had some good trips, just most likely not of the intensity as someone NOT on those drugs, but I mean, I figure I could just take more shrooms or whatever and have a similarly strong experience to there's, despite it being different.

I've also been told that because of the anti-depressant and benzo I'm on that microdosing would be useless to me, and THAT i am more inclined to believe, see as I have taken eights of shrooms probably like 10 times, and every one of the trips I wanted to be stronger (most likely because they were dulled by my meds), to the extent that I am 100% sure i want to try AT LEAST 5 grams next time, and would probably be able to enjoy a whole quarter myself and not freak out IMO (though I'd try 5 grams 1st), based on how well I handled eigths of shrooms (again, ONLY because my trips are dulled by my meds...), or the equivalent of that with something else like 4-ACO DMT, etc.

Well, at least for now I can't get off ALL anti-depressants, at least I will probably need SOME kind of antidepressant, maybe Wellbutrin instead which would probably interfere less, but I don't see it as probably being good for my mental health not to be on anything. I'm gonna probably get a new psych. soon so I'll see.

I mean I HAVE had good experiences on shrooms while on SSRIs so they DO work, and the experiences FEEL therapeutic so long as they actually LAST, it's whether or not they'd be more likely to having lasting anti-depressant effects if I wasn't on anti-depressants that is the question, but then again, I had a friend who never believed in the power of psychedelics to be healing at all (I disagree...) even though he was NEVER on meds, so I probably got more out of them than he did so I am not sure I agree with you.

What about Ketamine though?

I hear that isn't negatively effected so much by SSRIs in terms of treating depression.

Do you think that might work better for depression even while on an SSRI or antidepressant?

Ketamine is pretty safe at low doses. I wrote a whole thread detailing how I used a low dose regimen for depression. I think this regimen is still relevant because of the cost of pharmaceutical ketamine still being out of rich for most people.

If you find that mushrooms work while taking anti-depressants, then all the power to you. I just found they weren't very effective for me while on SSRIs.

Mushrooms act on the NMDA receptors just as ketamine does, except mushrooms also have the 5HT aspect... so they are more broad spectrum. Everything I've read from research and anecdotal reporting seems to indicate that once a week dosing of mushrooms is sufficient to aid recovery, which would suggest that microdosing is more practical.

I'm in the process of setting up a mushroom microdosing experiment for myself. I'm going to start at 25mg 2x per week and increase from there. I specifically need to avoid tripping right now because my PTSD levels are high and I can't afford to enter an anxious, de-realized state. I want the benefits without the reality warping properties. Some neuroplasticity, but not so much that I feel disoriented and unsafe.

Are you unable to partake in LSD in the microdosing format as well?

I would love to do this, but I don't have any realistic way of titrating a dose. All I have is LSD on blotter paper in approximate amounts. For a proper therapeutic regimen, and to accurately report the results, I would need to obtain liquid LSD that I could reliably titrate. Not an easy task these days, especially with all the garbage RCs out there and other adulteration.

It's also hard to find reliable therapeutic usage data like what exists for mushrooms and MDMA. It would be hard for me to even decide what dose to start with, how frequently, etc.

Ketamine is pretty safe at low doses. I wrote a whole thread detailing how I used a low dose regimen for depression. I think this regimen is still relevant because of the cost of pharmaceutical ketamine still being out of rich for most people.

If you find that mushrooms work while taking anti-depressants, then all the power to you. I just found they weren't very effective for me while on SSRIs.

Mushrooms act on the NMDA receptors just as ketamine does, except mushrooms also have the 5HT aspect... so they are more broad spectrum. Everything I've read from research and anecdotal reporting seems to indicate that once a week dosing of mushrooms is sufficient to aid recovery, which would suggest that microdosing is more practical.

I'm in the process of setting up a mushroom microdosing experiment for myself. I'm going to start at 25mg 2x per week and increase from there. I specifically need to avoid tripping right now because my PTSD levels are high and I can't afford to enter an anxious, de-realized state. I want the benefits without the reality warping properties. Some neuroplasticity, but not so much that I feel disoriented and unsafe.

Thanks.

I'm looking into Ketamine infusion centers in my area for depression but the problem is that 1) they might not consider my depression/anxiety bad enough to admit me, when I still want to try it anyway

2) more importantly, these places probably do not take my insurance, which makes it a no-go.

3) I saw on one Ketamine website that they say that Ketamine is negatively effected by benzos and amphetamines, and while I've been off my dexadrine for a week and can and will stay off longer, I constantly have benzos in my system, even if I skip my Klonopin dose for the day I'll still have some in my system.

Now OBVIOUSLY you are no doctor, but do you personally think Ketamine would be ineffective for depression/anxiety if a person is on a benzo?

I mean, most would say even asking a random non-doctor's opinion is pointless, but just because the effectivness of something CAN BE LESSENED doesn't mean it won't work, and Ketamine is so powerful I don't see why it wouldn't.

Thanks.

I'm looking into Ketamine infusion centers in my area for depression but the problem is that 1) they might not consider my depression/anxiety bad enough to admit me, when I still want to try it anyway

2) more importantly, these places probably do not take my insurance, which makes it a no-go.

3) I saw on one Ketamine website that they say that Ketamine is negatively effected by benzos and amphetamines, and while I've been off my dexadrine for a week and can and will stay off longer, I constantly have benzos in my system, even if I skip my Klonopin dose for the day I'll still have some in my system.

Now OBVIOUSLY you are no doctor, but do you personally think Ketamine would be ineffective for depression/anxiety if a person is on a benzo?

I mean, most would say even asking a random non-doctor's opinion is pointless, but just because the effectivness of something CAN BE LESSENED doesn't mean it won't work, and Ketamine is so powerful I don't see why it wouldn't.

I personally would not mix ketamine with benzos or amphetamines in a therapeutic setting. The targeted benefits of ketamine could easily be swayed into abuse territory if mixed with other substances. I even avoided cannabis when I did my ketamine regimen.

I also have a very negative view of infusion centers. They offer single doses, usually high doses, and they are a cash grab.

The esketamine nasal spray available now is also ridiculously expensive.

If you can find pure ketamine on the black market and formulate it into a 10mg/mL solution, you'd be better off financially. I hate how doctors are cashing in on this effective therapy because to them it has exotic appeal. It's unethical.

For whatever it's worth, I had very disturbing interactions with benzos and MXE. Waking up from vivid nightmares, trashing the place. I definitely would be weary combining them with ketamine.

I personally would not mix ketamine with benzos or amphetamines in a therapeutic setting. The targeted benefits of ketamine could easily be swayed into abuse territory if mixed with other substances. I even avoided cannabis when I did my ketamine regimen.

I also have a very negative view of infusion centers. They offer single doses, usually high doses, and they are a cash grab.

If you can find pure ketamine on the black market and formulate it into a 10mg/mL solution, you'd be better off financially. I hate how doctors are cashing in on this effective therapy because to them it has exotic appeal. It's unethical.

The problem is that there's no method of integration offered, apart from the meaningless surveys. People have to figure it out for themselves, or remain stuck in an escapist dynamic.

It looks like a cash grab, but so will MDMA therapy once it's approved. Rick Doblin estimates the price for a single dose of legal MDMA at $150-200, while it's clear that MAPS is not in it to dance on the grave of ethics, right?

The indirect effects of having these tools available in official medical settings might be the most important facet, in the long run.

I'm extremely sorry to hear what you went through, but glad you were able to feel considerably better from your experiences.

I haven't been through anything like what you have but I've been considering trying 4-ACO DMT for my own FAR less serious problems, but I'm on Lexapro which is an SSRI, and almost always have Klonopin in my system as well which is a benzo.

May I ask, did you have any anti-depressants or benzos in your system during any of your experiences with 4-ACO DMT?

If so, did the 4-ACO DMT still work?

If not, do you think it might have still worked if you'd had any of those drugs in your system?

I'm probably switching my medications up soon, but some have said not to even waste my time with 4-ACO DMT if I'm going to be on drugs that lesson the experience so much.

That being said, I've still had good experiences on shrooms while on SSRIs, and one while on an SSRi and a benzo.

Thanks
i have taken it on benzos, and it certainly dulled the experience. one time i was having a hellish ego death purgatory loop while camping and shooting up 4 aco dmt. i took 3 mgs of clonazepam and it didnt kill the trip, but rather changed it to a satori like heaven state. i would imagine any SSRI will block to some degree as well. if u feel comfortable doing so perhaps you could taper yourself to a lower dose? id consult your doctor first tho

Jamshyd (R.I.P) found that gabapentin aided his ketamine therapy, which implies that ketamine consumes GABA. Since benzos do that as well, I don't think it's a good idea to mix them with K, on that basis alone.

I agree, the infusion centres are not offering proper psychological services. It's because they are only viewing the benefits of ketamine as neurophysiological. They don't care so much about the consciousness properties or the need to integrate memories. In the future this will hopefully change.

I just hope that psychedelic therapy doesn't become this boujie thing that only rich people can afford, and if you can't afford it then you have to take crappy pharmaceuticals.

Me personally, I'll obtain street drugs and do the therapy on myself, TYVM.

Well, I read one of their the infusion center websites and they pretty much seemed to be saying they won't treat you if you are on benzos so it may not be an issue but I'll keep it in mind.

I mean, at the very least a number of posters here have said combining a benzo with Ketamine is not actually dangerous, but do you really disagree that it is super dangerous?

As for them making a cash grab, that is something to think about.

I mean, I just want relief of my symptoms of depression and anxiety with as few side effects as possible so I'll use what I can that's 1) safe and 2) afforadable, and most likely it's not affordable either as most don't take insurance so this might be a non-issue.

However, as far as them offering "high doses", every center I've looked at has said the opposite, that they offer LOW doses and that whenever anyone asks if they will hallucinate or what not they say "no, you won't because the dose is lower than recreational doses."

I'll be careful in any decision I make.

Thanks.

i have taken it on benzos, and it certainly dulled the experience. one time i was having a hellish ego death purgatory loop while camping and shooting up 4 aco dmt. i took 3 mgs of clonazepam and it didnt kill the trip, but rather changed it to a satori like heaven state. i would imagine any SSRI will block to some degree as well. if u feel comfortable doing so perhaps you could taper yourself to a lower dose? id consult your doctor first tho

Taper to a lower dose of what?

The Klonopin, Lexapro or both?

I'll be talking a doctor soon about both.

Sounds honestly like the Klonopin made your trip much BETTER rather than worse, although sometimes with psychedelics when trying to create change people actually WANT a bad trip but I'm not so sure I would.

I know that shrooms have worked for me while on both benzos and SSRIs (mostly while on Prozac and NOT Lexpro like now or benzos.....out of my 10 or so shroom trips all but one of them I was on Prozac and not Klonopin or lexapro, and then the last one I was both Lexapro and Klonopin.....) and they were all good trips, but only the 1st and 2nd trips did I get any visuals and usually my trips are weak but very peaceful and enjoyable.

I mean, I don't usually get visuals, but I get a profound sense of peace, so yeah, I mean, they work on SSRIs and benzos for me, I just think I'd have to take a large dose of whateve psychedelic (in this case tryptamines---shrooms or 4-ACO DMT) to probably get a more similar effect...but still not the same as someone not on the meds.

Well, I read one of their the infusion center websites and they pretty much seemed to be saying they won't treat you if you are on benzos so it may not be an issue but I'll keep it in mind.

I mean, at the very least a number of posters here have said combining a benzo with Ketamine is not actually dangerous, but do you really disagree that it is super dangerous?

I did not use the word dangerous. I said it's inappropriate in a therapeutic setting. Ketamine on its own has a pure action in the pre-frontal cortex synapses, specifically on the NMDA receptors. Combining it with other drugs will change its potential and will likely prevent it from having a therapeutic effect. Ketamine has a very narrow therapeutic window, in my experience. Recreationally (for fun), mixing ketamine with benzos is not dangerous in of itself, no.

I would like to politely ask you to create a new thread for your specific health goals. I made this thread because I need help with psychedelic therapy for PTSD. I am not currently trying to treat depression, pharmaceutically or otherwise. If you want to ask more questions about ketamine for depression, feel free to check out the thread I linked you to, and post questions there. It'll help add to the body of knowledge developed in that thread as myself and others respond to you. This thread is mostly about my quest to treat PTSD. Thanks a lot.

I did not use the word dangerous. I said it's inappropriate in a therapeutic setting. Ketamine on its own has a pure action in the pre-frontal cortex synapses, specifically on the NMDA receptors. Combining it with other drugs will change its potential and will likely prevent it from having a therapeutic effect. Ketamine has a very narrow therapeutic window, in my experience. Recreationally (for fun), mixing ketamine with benzos is not dangerous in of itself, no.

I would like to politely ask you to create a new thread for your specific health goals. I made this thread because I need help with psychedelic therapy for PTSD. I am not currently trying to treat depression, pharmaceutically or otherwise. If you want to ask more questions about ketamine for depression, feel free to check out the thread I linked you to, and post questions there. It'll help add to the body of knowledge developed in that thread as myself and others respond to you. This thread is mostly about my quest to treat PTSD. Thanks a lot.

Ok, no problem, I don't need a new thread now.

I figured that trauma and PTSD were related enough to depression and anxiety, and Psychedelics enough to Ketamine, that what I was saying could fit in, but I suppose not.

I am sorry for whatever it is you are going through with PTSD, and I'm very glad I've never had it.

I kind of thought to myself that most likely I have experienced some trauma that triggered some of my issues, but it's probably not the sort of acute and serious trauma you are talking about, nor is it PTSD, so if I want to talk more about that I will make another thread.

Thanks.

If it were me, I'd go for shrooms, hard for me to judge the situation and all, but I'd go for shrooms surely.
Of course, as you know, MDMA has had quite some succes in PTSD treatment, in my eyes you might potentially get some beautiful days out of it even if you don't reach your personal goals, I say: go for it. Sometimes it's good to dive in deep, and there's almost nothing better than magic mushrooms for it, hope the microdosing experiment is going well.

Btw, quite some microdose 1p-LSD tabs are being sold around the clearnet, I've had some around 20ug one time, which I find a little too much for a microdose, but about 10-15ug is great.

Foreigner: have you ever used shrooms for your PTSD/trauma?

I second the fact that I think they'd be likely to help and I'm sure you know they are being looked into as an antidepressant.

Then again, I mean, I'd have a hard time imagining you haven't done shrooms tons of times as most people on this forum have.

For me, I haven't tripped on many psychedelics, mostly just LSD, shrooms, Salvia and one time on baby hawaiian woodrose and morning glory seeds (boy was that a story...got SUPEr sick....) but for me, LSD and shrooms are night and day: Acid I get anxious usually, whereas I've never really gotten anxious on shrooms, just totally peaceful.

For me it's the opposite, LSD is very easy to handle (except in high doses) and mushrooms are very erratic. Mushrooms have more value in healing and spirituality though, they're just more of a challenge for me. I don't take them recreationally but I take acid just for fun (at festivals, etc). My first trip was on mushrooms and it changed my life.

If it were me, I'd go for shrooms, hard for me to judge the situation and all, but I'd go for shrooms surely.
Of course, as you know, MDMA has had quite some succes in PTSD treatment, in my eyes you might potentially get some beautiful days out of it even if you don't reach your personal goals, I say: go for it. Sometimes it's good to dive in deep, and there's almost nothing better than magic mushrooms for it, hope the microdosing experiment is going well.

Btw, quite some microdose 1p-LSD tabs are being sold around the clearnet, I've had some around 20ug one time, which I find a little too much for a microdose, but about 10-15ug is great.

What is it about mushrooms that makes you say this? If you don't know, that's OK, I am just curious. For me, I am choosing shrooms as a candidate because it's a low intensity psychedelic that also has a plant spirit with it. I think fungi are amazing in the natural world and they are intelligent. I'm going to buy shrooms, grind them into powder, and measure out 25mg doses in capsules. I'll take those twice a week. Then I'll upgrade to 50mg, then eventually 100mg. At the point that it becomes too much, I'll downgrade to the previous level. This seems to be the microdosing regimen that therapists are endorsing.

How would you compare 1p-LSD to LSD?

Foreigner: have you ever used shrooms for your PTSD/trauma?

I second the fact that I think they'd be likely to help and I'm sure you know they are being looked into as an antidepressant.

Then again, I mean, I'd have a hard time imagining you haven't done shrooms tons of times as most people on this forum have.

For me, I haven't tripped on many psychedelics, mostly just LSD, shrooms, Salvia and one time on baby hawaiian woodrose and morning glory seeds (boy was that a story...got SUPEr sick....) but for me, LSD and shrooms are night and day: Acid I get anxious usually, whereas I've never really gotten anxious on shrooms, just totally peaceful.

I've done shrooms before but always at higher doses, causing breakthrough hallucinogenic experiences. We're talking out-of-reality experiences. I've never done mushrooms at a sub-threshold level with microdosing like I have with ketamine, so I'd be interested to explore this. I just want to be safe. I am so paranoid about triggering my auto-immune condition. But part of that paranoia is my PTSD that I need to work on. Underneath that paranoia is a lot of hurt over everything that has happened to me that I have been unable to unpack. I need a psychedelic ally to do so.

Btw... apologies if I seemed harsh in my request for support. I hope you don't feel dismissed. I'm just kind of desperate and I need more focus on my shit.

For me it's the opposite, LSD is very easy to handle (except in high doses) and mushrooms are very erratic. Mushrooms have more value in healing and spirituality though, they're just more of a challenge for me. I don't take them recreationally but I take acid just for fun (at festivals, etc). My first trip was on mushrooms and it changed my life.

Higher doses of mushrooms completely remove me from reality. I would call them shamanic. I have to lie down and then my eyes close and I'm off to another universe. The imagery is extremely vivid and in technicolour. For example, last time I did mushrooms, when I hit the bed, I closed my eyes and suddenly I was seeing the formation of planet Earth from outer space, during its fiery, volcanic tectonic epoch, before life ever existed. I mean, who knows if that's what it really looked like, but the vision was intensely vivid and real like I was watching it from the viewpoint of the creator. It was really cool -- but what was the point?

Mushrooms connect me to earthly things like that.

I have never microdosed LSD or mushrooms. How do you even microdose LSD, anyway? Do you need to use liquid LSD? I only have blotter.

I'm attracted to mushrooms because they have a spirit signature, and because I think fungi networks are similar to neural patterns. According to the doctrine of signatures, they would be good medicine for the brain. This is confirmed in how mushrooms cause the release of neural growth factor.

LSD is utterly magical and cosmic. I love it for that. But... it's ungrounding for me and doesn't really help me unpack trauma. Also it lasts too long and I don't want to get stuck in what feels like a forever-trip.

1P LSD is believed to be a prodrug for LSD analogous way psilocybin metabolizes to psilocin. I myself find both 1P LSD and 1A-LSD (aka ALD 52) to be indistinguishable from LSD 25. In fact I'd probably go as far as to say the 100 microgram 1P and 1A LSD blotters have been better than some of the street LSD I've had. As I think the 1P and 1A are actually dosed at the advertised dosage. Where as the last "110 mic" blotters of LSD I had last were probably about 70 mics if I had to guess by how strong they were compared to the analogs. My cousin also just ordered some "150 mic' LSD blotters from a dnm and he believes they are probably about half that, 75 mics. Again that's by judging them against his 100 mic 1A LSD tabs which he says are most definitely more potent than the supposed 150 mic blotter.
So I actually would recommend the 1P and 1A LSD. And since u are on bluelight, that means u have an internet connection and access to google. You should easily be able to come across some

I know personally one mercenary who fought in 1999 Yogoslavian war, on Serbia. I medicate him, with benzos. 100x 2mg clonazepam bottle a month. He clearly has PTSD, but because of he has drug using past, so doctors wont prespicpe him shit. I wouldn't give him LSD tho. I have gave him MDMA, cuz i have read that it helps with PTSD and he enjoyed it.