• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Drug czar: No state can nullify federal marijuana ban

Bluelight Crew
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/04/17/drug-czar-no-state-can-nullify-federal-marijuana-ban/

President Barack Obama’s drug czar toed a strict line on marijuana Wednesday, saying federal laws will prevail regardless of state-level efforts to legalize pot.

Gil Kerlikowske said enforcement of the Controlled Substances Act of 1970 — which ranks marijuana as a Schedule One drug alongside heroin, LSD and ecstasy — remains in the hands of the US Department of Justice.

“No state, no executive can nullify a statute that has been passed by Congress,” the director of the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy told a National Press Club luncheon.

“Let’s be clear: law enforcement officers take an oath of office to uphold federal law and they are going to continue to pursue drug traffickers and drug dealers,” he said.

“Let’s be clear: law enforcement officers take an oath of office to uphold federal law and they are going to continue to pursue drug traffickers and drug dealers,” he said.

Notably absent from that statement is mention of marijuana users.

Yeah whatever dude, didn't Seattle already opt to send cease and desist letters to dealers? I feel like the war on weed is truly ending, lets hope it can get extended to other drugs. People should be able to decide for themselves what they are willing to do, I don't need the fucking government to tell me what I can and can't do.

That said, even North Korea has legal weed.... North Korea, come on, lets not fall behind them in any rights issue.

Technically a state can nullify any federal law they want. That's the way it is suppose to be, States governing themselves.

Doesn't the constitution trump over any law made against it? Not that it matters anymore, they do it alllll the time

It's been said and I'm going to keep saying it.

Let's take Roe vs Wade, and transpose it to voluntary/consensual drug use. If they can do this with abortion rights then they can do it with drugs too. It's actually quite straightforward unless you're a retard or otherwise have serious cognitive deficits.

Privacy. The right over your own body. Security of person. Should not be deprived.

End of story. Is it really that hard to comprehend? You either own your own body or you fucking don't. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

It's been said and I'm going to keep saying it.

Let's take Roe vs Wade, and transpose it to voluntary/consensual drug use. If they can do this with abortion rights then they can do it with drugs too. It's actually quite straightforward unless you're a retard or otherwise have serious cognitive deficits.

Privacy. The right over your own body. Security of person. Should not be deprived.

End of story. Is it really that hard to comprehend? You either own your own body or you fucking don't. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

I am with you on that.
That includes the absolute right to suicide, in addition to taking any and all drugs that one wants.

If only the billions of dollars spent on the war on drugs were spent on healthcare and real crimes.

We're leasing our lives from our governments. We don't own ourselves.

"Nullify" is a conveniently safe and vague choice of words here. I say this is all smoke and no fire. Pay no attention to the man behind that curtain.

Is "nullifying a law" even a term with any legal meaning? I've heard of repealing a law or declaring a law unconstitutional or even overriding a law, but not nullifying one. No, of course a state legislature in a federal republic does not have the power to repeal a federal law, or to pass legislation declaring their state and its residents explicitly exempt from a federal law. But local and state-employed law enforcement officers do not generally charge citizens with violations of federal law, because it's tediously bureaucratic to do so. Most things they charge people with that are illegal under federal law are also illegal under state law, so they just charge people with violating the state law, and issue them a summons to appear in a state-administered local court, which is far easier to arrange. Examples like marijuana possession -- illegal under federal law, legal under state law, and commonly encountered in the general public by local and state patrolmen -- are relatively uncommon, and I imagine would tempt most state-employed cops in legalized states to turn a blind eye.

Only LEOs that are employed by forces under the direct control of the federal government regularly hand down federal charges to people. If you're in a legalized state, it would be good to know which LEOs fall under this jurisdiction, and avoid having pot on you if you're anywhere they patrol. I know customs and immigration officers, national park rangers, postal police, and US Marshals are some examples. This is not hard to do, as all of these forces have relatively easy jurisdictions to steer clear of. The DEA is the only federally-employed force I'd truly be scared of if I were an ordinary citizen heavy into the marijuana trade in a legalized state. They're disturbingly untouchable.

Yes, in theory there is nothing stopping the federal government from mobilizing a large number of LEOs under its direct command to states that have passed state laws legalizing marijuana, kicking in tokers' doors far and wide and putting the fear of federal law into the hearts of the citizenry. But I have a hard time seeing this really happening, unless the local legal status of marijuana causes the federal government some sort of big or costly collateral problem it can't afford to ignore, such as large numbers of drug tourists from far off places causing friction with the locals. But even that is a bit far fetched.

So does federal law actually "trump" local law? Not really, because it doesn't work like that -- state/local law and federal law do not have a nested or hierarchical relationship. The actual enforcers of federal law are much fewer and father between in most US communities.

What I do foresee is the DEA picking on (or picking off, as the case may be :) ) a few hapless token tokers as a publicity stunt every now and then, to look like they're doing something about it. Oh, and every now and then an empty-threat press release like this.

Now, what would be a real turning point in US legal history, and which I could possibly see happening if there's enough pressure from powerful groups that benefit from marijuana's illegality, is a US Supreme Court order that the states with legalized marijuana re-illegalize it, setting a precedent that anything banned by federal law as contraband must be banned under state law by every state. This would be a major overturning of the states' rights laws passed in the 1860s, and would call into question just how federalist the US really is.

Worse yet, but relatively less likely, I could see a national referendum for the federal legalization of marijuana winning a majority of votes, but the federal government (or even just the DEA, invoking some strange power of theirs) refusing to honor the referendum, citing some concern over public safety or ordinary citizens not being good judges of what's good for them or for society. That would set an even worse precedent, and would be all the proof we'd need that we're not a real democracy.

Yeah, sure, and I haven't been smoking medical marijuana from Californian dispensaries. 8) lol

It's happening, no matter how badly the federal government wants to trample all over the states rights of Colorado and Washington, this won't change what's going on in California, and it hopefully won't deter the good citizens of Colorado and Washington (god bless your brave stoner hearts) from doing what you know is good and right in your hearts to grow and consume the cannabis plant safely.

I totally called this happening, but I am still hoping states rights wins the upcoming battle.

It's sad they are taking this backward approach simply for rhetoric. Really, this stance is going to make no difference to the state of marijuana use in states where it is legal, or at least make no difference to users. There is no way the DEA is going to be able to arrest small time users and dealers without cooperation from local law enforcement. All this inane stance does is make it difficult for the sale of marijuana to be profitable for the taxpayers and the local economy.

It also shows that the government is a monolithic and mechanical entirety whose machinations have no respect for what is in the will of the people or the people's best interest, it will forever be locked onto running its drug war script. Obama sounded so promising with his campaign, but he is one of the most disappointing presidents of all time. At least George Bush never purported himself to be some intelligent maverick. Obama is just a sell out, he is massivly lobbied, and completely under the control of big business. Obama's inordinate failure to effect any change made it very clear America is not a democracy, lobbyists have too much power, and so no matter who gets voted in, their actions will be identical. As long as the private prison industry, the pharmaceutical, Alcohol and the rehab industry (basically just snake oil coated prisons) says so, Marijuana will always be considered a C S1 deadly drug by the US federal government, even in an alternate universe where Bob Marley became president (and I mean this as absolutely no disrespect to the late and great Marley)

I wish they would stop fucking referring to this person as the "drug czar". We don't live in imperialist Russia. They're a DEA bureaucrat and, on paper, they are answerable to the PEOPLE. The People of WA and CO have spoken, so this "czar" can go sit on a cactus and rotate.

I love 4-20 because it's civil disobedience on a massive scale. We need more of this to show the DEA that they can't take away our bodily sovereignty.

The war on consciousness must end. I can alter myself however I please and they have no business trying to stop me.

The Fed can pretend that the legalization laws don't matter, but they're fighting a losing battle. For every person they arrest and every business they raid, 10 more will appear. People are increasingly not putting up with this shit any longer. The war on drugs should be renamed to the war on unemployment for law enforcement and reduced private prison profits, because that's all it is at this point.

Declaration of Independence said:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Drug laws are a direct contradiction to these inalienable rights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_and_legal_rights
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life,_liberty_and_the_pursuit_of_happiness

Fuck you, drug czar. Fuck all these paid-off sell-out pieces of shit running this country.

What I do foresee is the DEA picking on (or picking off, as the case may be ) a few hapless token tokers as a publicity stunt every now and then, to look like they're doing something about it. Oh, and every now and then an empty-threat press release like this.
--------

Pretty much the way Netherlands been operating for decades. The occasional bust to make a point the law still exists, but city licenses and other signs its being regulated. I can't wait to hit up legal weed in WA as a pot tourist, I can drive there, can't drive to Amsterdam.

I think the word democracy is already misconstrued by the general public and Sacha Baron Cohen's speech at the end of "The Dictator" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1E9MiUECXU was pretty spot on.

Yeah that scene sadly sums up just how "democratic" America is. More like "democratic dictatorship".

Even sadder is that I see some comments on there where it appears that many Americans don't understand what Sasha's speech has to do with America.

...so this "czar" can go sit on a cactus and rotate.

lol