• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Dont see this posted, 3 dead from ecstasy tablets in the UK

blackstorm

Bluelighter
Hey,

I haven't seen this posted, looked around for it, 3 people have died in the UK (2 in manchester, 1 liverpool) in the last few days.

Heart pills coming in 3 colours.

Sorry if this has already been posted, just couldn't see it..

Anyone know more about it?

Yes, I found this on IB Times: http://goo.gl/ew6W2

Manchester: Contaminated Ecstasy Pills Linked to Deaths of Gareth Ashton and Jordan Chambers

Police in Manchester have issued a warning following fears a batch of contaminated ecstasy tablets have resulted in the deaths of two people and the hospitalisation of several more.

Greater Manchester Police have confirmed Gareth Ashton, 28, died at Wigan Infirmary on 21 January after complaining of being unwell. A day earlier, 19-year-old Jordan Chambers died at Oldham Hospital after suffering from similar symptoms.

Toxicology tests are due to be taken to determine the cause of deaths. Police are investigating whether the two deaths are linked and the possibility there could be a bad batch of ecstasy pills in the area.

There have also been a number of people admitted to hospital, all complaining of similar symptoms over the past few days.

Police believe the contaminated pills are coloured and heart-shaped.

A 26-year-old man in Liverpool also died over the weekend after reportedly taking ecstasy tablets. A GMP spokesman could not confirm if police are investigating a link between the deaths in Greater Manchester and Liverpool.

Det chief insp Howard Millington from Wigan CID said: "We are very concerned at how these deaths of two apparently fit young men have occurred.

"It is believed several other people have been admitted to hospital suffering from similar symptoms.

"It is possible that they are linked and this is something we are exploring as part of the investigation.

"Our main concern is that there may be a contaminated quantity of illegal drugs and if this goes unchecked it could result in further deaths.

"The drugs are believed to be ecstasy tablets, heart shaped in purple, green, yellow and blue.

"If you are suffering adverse effects after taking one of these tablets I would advise you to go to hospital for a check-up.

"If you have any information, I would ask you to contact police as soon as possible. We will treat the details you supply with the strictest of confidence.

"I would always urge people not to take illegal drugs and remind them that you do not know what they have been made up with. They can contain poisons and illicit chemicals that can have potentially fatal effects."

Anyone with information should phone police on 0161 856 7149 or the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.

Also found this on the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-21141113

Liverpool ecstasy death link investigated

The death of a man in Liverpool is not yet being linked with other fatalities which could have been caused by contaminated ecstasy, say police.

The 26-year-old collapsed at a guesthouse in Tuebrook early on Sunday and died later in hospital. He is believed to have taken the drug.

The results of toxicology tests are awaited in this case and two others.

Greater Manchester Police is investigating two possible ecstasy-related deaths.

Merseyside Police said the 26-year-old was not from the area, but he has not been named.

Det Sup Tim Keelan said: "This death follows a number of possible ecstasy-related fatalities around the country and while it is too early to link this tragedy with other incidents, Merseyside Police take this opportunity to warn people of the dangers of using illegal substances."

Medical help
Greater Manchester Police say a batch of contaminated ecstasy may be behind the deaths of two men and that other people have been admitted to hospital.

Toxicology tests are being conducted on a man aged 19 who died at the Royal Oldham Hospital on Sunday and a 28-year-old who died at Wigan Infirmary on Monday.

Greater Manchester Police are worried more deaths may occur from taking contaminated ecstasy and they urged anyone who becomes ill to seek medical help.

The contaminated drugs are believed to be heart-shaped tablets coloured purple, green, yellow and blue.

if they are the batch i think they missed out the red ones as well , last time these were around it was because they had been pressed to hard and were not breaking up in the gut so people were dropping 3 more before the first one bust

Posted on January 22, 2013, 6:56 pm GMT by twhitetw1928 (member since January 22, 2013)
These pills are now said to have been tested by authorities and contain PMA as the main active substance. It is extremely ill-advised to take these beans as they can cause severe overheating of the body, even at a low dose, ultimately resulting in death. Pills are fun but always be safe. Para-Methoxyamphetamine.

http://www.pillreports.com/index.php?page=display_pill&id=31018

ive been hearing a lot of reports on the news recently in the UK about exstacy tablets being spiked with PMA now. god knows why they're doing it - but lots of people are ending up in A&E all around the country due to it. the same goes with legal highs - specifically benzo-fury which has lead to a man becoming paralysed from the neck down.

PMA is apparently very easy to make, and some people will press whatever chemical they can get their hands on to make $ I guess? Not everyone who deals with E's are in it for the love and unity etc.

Some might add it with MDMA (+ other stuff like speed and whatever) to make more pills, so many different scenarios could be the case.

I havent had ecstasy in a long time and Im just wondering, is it possible to die from just one pill if its PMA? I mean dont you need more than that to overdose?

It probably depends on quite a few factors, altho i'm no expert, I would think things like how much PMA the pill contained, how much food you had consumed prior (was it on an empty stomach, that may hit you harder then) if your bodies natural defence was already low (ie sick or on the down) and if you had had other drugs or alcohol and probably more things that I cant think of right now.

I would imagine the answer is yes tho, if the pill was a strong PMA based pill.

If the pill is a PMA / MDMA mix then I think it's possible. I believe the Canadian deaths were from such a mixture, and some victims reportedly took one pill. The mixture is very dangerous because PMA is an MAOI and MDMA is a super-potent serotonergic.

Looks like the death toll is up to 5 now.

Telegraph
By Alice Philipson12:27PM GMT 23 Jan 2013

With reader comments

A contaminated batch of ecstasy could be responsible for the deaths of up to five young people as police warn more people could die if the pills continue to circulate.

Two "apparently fit young men" from the same town in Wigan died this week after taking drugs.
A third man, a 26-year-old, died in Liverpool on Sunday and is believed to have taken tablets – possibly ecstasy – before he collapsed. Greater Manchester Police are not currently linking his death to the two in their region, but said they could not discount a connection.
The tragedy follows two suspected drug deaths in Derbyshire before Christmas. Police believe brightly coloured heart-shaped tablets containing PMA – a far stronger and more toxic drug than Ecstasy – could have been responsible for a number of deaths of recreational drug users in the county.

More...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...killed-up-to-five-people-as-two-arrested.html

Reader comment
clumsier
If they were not taking illegal drugs they would not have died. Your idea is not that far from giving men women and children to hit under medical supervision so they kill fewer.

Some people are such degenerates that they will commit murders to get money. That is all there is to it.

This is crazy...haven't had ex in a long time and I was planning on getting some soon.

Glad this is on the news anyway.

It probably depends on quite a few factors, altho i'm no expert, I would think things like how much PMA the pill contained, how much food you had consumed prior (was it on an empty stomach, that may hit you harder then) if your bodies natural defence was already low (ie sick or on the down) and if you had had other drugs or alcohol and probably more things that I cant think of right now.

I would imagine the answer is yes tho, if the pill was a strong PMA based pill.

Must be a strong drug if just one pill can kill you.

make it legal to over 21's, tax it, package it with warnings and dose in mg's and how much should be enough for a good time and emergency ph numbers in case of OD. Limit it to 2 pills per day or so, licence or ID has to be produced, for sale only at chemists or something.

The harm is coming from tainted pills, and up and down doses mostly it seems. People don't usually get violent on this drug, quite the opposite. I'm getting over using it personally, I did alot of that when I was younger, but I still would like to see it be able to used safely for people 21 and up. Otherwise we will continue to see OD from PMA pills and people dropping too many high dosage pills too quickly, and other pills with god knows what in them.

Shame this seems to not be on the cards for anywhere tho, can you imagine how many people are dropping ecstasy every week in the world? It must be a huge amount.

Dr Death: Fresh warning over the 'ecstasy' pill that kills

RECREATIONAL drug users have been warned about a highly toxic imitation of ecstasy following a spate of deaths in the UK from 'Dr Death' ecstasy pills.

Five young people have died over the past month in parts of the UK, reports the Daily Mail, after taking what they believed to be ecstasy, but in fact contained the dangerous substance PMA.

PMA, or para-Methoxyamphetamine, is a "synthetic amphetamine-type drug with both stimulant and hallucinogenic properties", according the Australian Drug Federation.

The Drug Squad says it's almost exclusively as MDMA - or ecstasy - posing a huge risk to recreational drug users.

It's more dangerous than regular ecstasy because it's known to cause death and takes longer to affect the brain - meaning users are more likely to double or even triple their dose.

Though PMA has been a problem in Australia before - six deaths were attributed to the drug being sold as ecstasy in South Australia in 1998 - experts warn that young people need to be extra vigilant.

"With any manufactured drug there is no guarantee of quality or quantity," said a spokesperson for the NSW Drug Squad.

"You don't know the dosage you're taking, or what you're actually taking.

"You're basically in the hands of criminals who are trying to turn a profit rather than looking out for your safety."

The Australian Drug Federation says PMA supply in Australia occurs in waves, and is particularly dangerous because its hallucinogenic potency which is "approximately five times that of mescaline and three times that of MDMA."

In addition to the street name 'Dr Death', users can also be fooled by the drug being sold as 'Pink ecstasy', 'chicken yellow' and 'chicken powder'.

No shit.