• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Does snorting with nasal hair ruin the effect?

oxyloveUK

Bluelighter
I found that after I shaved my nasal hair (normal amount lol) the oxycodone hit me much harder the last few times I snorted it. Never thought of it before but if you have hairs alot of any kind of snorted drug like heroin or cocaine must get stuck in them and not absorbed or does it not make much difference?

Last edited:
Whatever would get caught by nasal hair is minimal at best

Yeah, as someone with especially hirsute nostrils, I assure you long schnoz-locks will filter powders quite effectively. They seem to hold the larger bits just until you move your head away from your work surface, sending otherwise salvageable crumbs to a (usually wet) floor and oblivion. Meanwhile the finer powder remains as a visible dusting of criminal evidence, twinkling at coworkers and law enforcement for hours sometimes--the longest you'll ever go without sneezing somehow.

A scourge of insufflators everywhere, depiliate that nasal rim without mercy.

Personally I keeping things trimmed high and tight. I mean, why take a chance? Honestly, unless you have a super hairy nose, it probably doesn't matter much. Funny question though.

Washing said hairs & nasal septum with 0.9 % saline in a netti pot or some oxymetazoline spray might reduce the real drug & excipient grabber which is snot or boogers. The hairs probably act more like a pachinko machine if their clean.

It made a big difference to me after I shaved it haha, like x5 the effect and I didnt have a hairy nose. Could see white blobs in the hairs before, really wondered if it led to a waste or made no difference

If half your line is stuck to hairs, it's not dissolving and adsorbing into your bloodstream. It could become doused with snot, which then dries and entombs it for an ignoble boogery end. I really don't think diffusion across thick booger material is good.

Another thing--not all of you are as blessed as I with nasal caldera, the vastness allowing easy anatomical study if you can survive the howling winds. Those hairs should emerge from the inside rim, they don't line the path all the way to your sinuses. Keeping them shortish and placing your clean and unshared straw at a point just beyond their lawn, can avoid them entirely.

And with nettie pots (fun and gross, and maybe helpful too) or other nose washing tricks, try to use sterile or distilled water if you don't have normal saline around. The risk is remote, but horrifically real, I am not kidding, this is snark and sarcasm free: at least two deaths from brain-eating amoebas in nettie pots using tap water, in the USA.

The irony would be too much: Bluelighter used random drugs up his nose for decades, shared needles from old sharps bins; but he washed his nose with tap water and amoebas ate his brain.

Lol I am lucky to have next to no nose hair.

It's generally a good idea to sniff a drop of bottled water into each nostril, snort it back hard, then aggressively blow your nose.

THEN PUT THE STRAW DIRECTLY INTO YOUR NOSTRIL. Nose hair should not matter, because you should be shoving that straw up your nose further than you could ever trim.

Don't share straws. Sharing straws means one of two things: everyone is barely sticking the straw up their nose (and therefore getting drugs stuck in their hair, depending on the drug) or everyone is sharing mucus. Either situation, not fun. Protip: Use Lysol spray HEAVY on a specific dollar bill. Let it sit out and air dry. Put that in your wallet, and use it as your straw for the night. Your own private straw, cleanly, AND it's not paraphernalia that can be used against you like a real straw.

Wouldn't the dollar you lysol'd just get nasty again as soon as it was inside your wallet, which has had gross money all up in it, even if it was the only bill in there? Seems pointless. I use ink pens that come apart easily, won't bend or cut my nose as easily as a straw, and it's long so I don't break my neck bending over so much.

You can also reassemble the type I use when not in use if you're paranoid

Same here steady, with the added benefit of putting your bag inside the pen for travel.

Same here steady, with the added benefit of putting your bag inside the pen for travel.

Right-o, forgot about that part. Oddly enough, I've had people seen me carrying like that, they say "Hey, great idea", and then continue on with a two inch, scoliosis inducing straw and huge bag in tow.

Lol I've been there, had to train myself to use the pen, my doc was meth so I always had cheap pens electrical tape and light bulbs.

I'd discourage anyone who takes drugs up their nose from "aggressive" blowing actions, whether it's with bottled water or the air in your lungs.

It isn't going to get rid of cooties, and you might just force drug or cut agent, dust bunnies or hairs, deeper into your sinuses, or damage those septa worse than they are.

Whatever straw you use, I'd try to avoid forceful deep insertion (into your nostril; with consent, it's encouraged elsewhere) so you don't zest off more nasal tissue.

I think the cocaine users, with frequent redosing, and pleasantly numb to how their shit would burn as bad as crystal, with chunks of bloody septum falling out of their faces, are the ones who need to worry about the flora and fauna on their drug straws. They are more likely to massage raw tissue with a straw that someone else massaged their tissues with.

Fellow meth snorters, we should worry less about the bill that barely touches skin on our faces, and seriously think about the one that crushes the stuff. That goes straight up our nose to incubate.

The HR folks will leave out the astronomically long odds part in warning of HIV or HCV through shared straws (HBV is much more likely) but the one that'll get you is plain old staph. That shit's already on your body, and rather than kill you slow, it'll kill you fast. So the hygienic route is hygienic: wash your hands.

Really, it's about taking a break before your nose is an open sore, and staying healthy enough through self-care that simply breathing through a dollar bill doesn't get you sick.

(FWIW: I like to use a plain post-it note to make straws (and it seals itself!). They come in pre-made stacks too.)

The HR folks will leave out the astronomically long odds part in warning of HIV

Omg, I needed that laugh! :D

Why can't everything be vaped? Insufflating is so - primitive.

Post it notes are good too, or a business card really anything. Coke does indeed do some nasty things to your septum, just ask mine.

We Americans love the burn I think lol.

No snorting with a straw u WANT TO GET PASSED YOUR NASAL HAIR And the powder only absorbs in the thin skin passed where the nasal hair is.

Yeah that's a great way to suck it down your throat, and not into your nose where it'll absorb through the mucus membrane.