• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Does MDMA "lose the magic" even if you don't abuse it?

who cares about magic anyways... your always going to be able to get high off of it
Yeah you're right, why would you want any of the magic of MDMA when you can just feel smashed? It's not like the unique emphatic properties of MDMA are what's most important, as long as you are high as a kite it's fine...

I've thought about this a lot and I think that the "magic" diminishes when you have done it so much that you know what to expect. Part of the magic of MDMA is going into it and embarking on a brand new adventure. Like all adventures, when it becomes to familiar the thrill goes away and that's the end of it.

I highly doubt that its anything permanent. I'll let you all know the next time I roll. I "lost the magic" ages ago. But enough time has passed that I've mostly forgotten the actual experience of MDMA which makes it perfect to test my theory.

That's funny because I can't remember what it was like either. I just remember that it was really good. I also think my past usage of 4-MMC might have contributed to my permatolerance.

That's funny because I can't remember what it was like either. I just remember that it was really good. I also think my past usage of 4-MMC might have contributed to my permatolerance.
I've been at it for a long time now too. Experienced a certain degree of loss of magic but luckily not nearly as severe as some cases I read about, for me it's still much more than just 'being high'. But I DO remember like it was yesterday how my first few times were. And I know I lost a certain something, some hard to grasp and undescribable feeling the substance gave me. A feeling I lost somewhere along the way, far earlier than I ever abused the stuff. I did so on a few occasions, but nothing really crazy other than rolling 3 back to back days once, never did anything else that even came close to that stupid weekend. But still the loss of magic is real, even though I didn't really abuse it apart from 2-3 occasions on a 9 year stretch and even though I remember vividly what the feeling was like when I first did it. I know what feeling is missing, I just can't describe it. It isn't one of the three main effects of MDMA I think: empathy, euphoria and some stimulation. It's some underlying feeling that gave an already divine feeling it's golden, shining finish. The closest I can get to describing it is 'clarity'. It's like I was looking at the world through a kind of mental glasses, which in turn even made my senses sharper. I could literally see, hear, smell better. Remember how your sense of touch seems to be 'improved' when you roll? Where everything you touch feels wonderful and interesting? In my case that decreased right around the same time. When rolling now everything feels a bit different, but that's about it. And the world does not appear more clear but sometimes even a bit more hazy, even at low doses and with 0 tolerance (6 month break).

In my humble(!!) opinion I believe this is something more than just psychological, I believe there is a physical component to it too because I've used and abused other drugs too and though the novelty does wear off which in turn changes the feeling slightly, in the case of MDMA this is much much more profound. With other drugs there is no doubt in my mind it is psychological, it even "feels" psychological, with MDMA I am not so sure...

I know one thing: though it can take years to fully regain the magic of MDMA it is possible. I have a mate that is proof. He quit for 7 years and he told me it was just like the first time, he had the magic back. He tried once before that after quitting for two years but that didn't work out at all, so it can take a long long time

Sorry for the long reply, I am a bit stoned here =D

Last edited:
I think MagiKat is correct in that MDMA use simply becomes a non-novel experience once you do it enough... I have rolled *a lot*.... and for the incredible amount of MDMA I abused I had a very good long run. But alas recently its just not the same and as a result my usage went from multiple times per week to once on the weekend to once per month and now I just don't care to do it anymore... Keep in mind I can still roll every time I take it but the experience feels diluted. I think of it as I had so many really amazing experiences that by comparison any give time I roll now is just an average night...

Maybe in a year ill give it a try and report back...

Now that I have confirmed my permatolerance, I realize that, like so many other things in life, MDMA was too good to be true.

It's been 3 years or so since I've done MDMA! I'm so looking forward to trying it again. I recently read the Biography portion of PIKAL- quite an amazing book! I'd say the magic is back- but then again It's been 3 years since I got turned on! Shulgin also talked highly of DOM- The drug that was called STP back in the 1970's. Never did that one. Of course I never did Mescaline either!

I really believe you can keep the magic, but the feeling of your very first time is impossible to recapture. MDMA was the first drug I tried after weed and it blew my mean clean open, I couldn't believe that it was possible for my body and brain to feel so wonderful and perfect, and for so long!

Every other time, I've known what to expect. That's not to say that many of my subsequent experiences haven't been fantastic, but dropping that bomb, diving into the unknown, and loving every minute of what I found there, was really extraordinary.

I have an angle of hindsight to communicate. Using MDMA sporadically won't lose it's magic.

What will reduce euphoria is using other stimulants like amphetamines or worse yet, methamphetamine. In any frequency they desensitize you to stimulated states, and especially in the case of meth, it downregulates serotonin, as it is a releasing agent, not as strong as MDMA, but tends to be used more casually. Even using amps only on weekends in non-massive doses IMO is more detrimental to MDMA 'magic' than taking MDMA 4 times a year. After using amps, recently I find MDMA to be pleasant, but not like it should be. I need to wash out for a long time. I think it'll come back, I wish I didn't have to worry about it though. MDMA is great, don't do amps in any frequency if you want it to stay that way.