• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

does anyone here "work from home" and make a decent living?

drugfukkdrockstar said:
I was browsing through the net just before and came across paid online surveys. I had a good read, and it all seems like a bit of a con to get people to pay the joining fee.

Does anyone here do/has done online surveys? Did/do you actually make money from doing them? Is it good money?

As good as what they say...?

A part of me feels tempted to try it out, as i am curious but i am still unsure as it all seems like a bit of a con. One in particular the joining fee is $37. That's not much, but i still don't wanna throw $37 away if it's all a load of bullshit.

What are your thoughts?

I was looking at this site: *edit*
Does it seem legit to you?

have you tried closing the window to that site shiat . . . talk about Jesus coming out of the dark . . .I thought about Bodyguard flashback

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah i went to close it after i posted the link and created this thread - now i have my answer about that site lol

:\

i have filled out surveys online before (and still do) and its easy, but the bad part is that you have to qualify for surveys and then you get points (usually a survey is 5-50, 5 being if you answer the basic questions and you dont qualify for whatever reason, and 50 for doing the whole thing). most of the surveys take about 20 mins (but in all honesty you dont really have to read all the questions.) when you get to 1000 points, you can cash in your points and you make $50USD, but you have to have 1000 points before getting cash. to get 1000 points it took me about 3 months or so, but i figure its easy and kills some time and when i get the check its like 50 bucks that i dont expect. it also takes about 4 weeks to get the check.

if anyone is interested i will post the link or PM me for it. :D

edit to clarify: you do NOT have to pay to become a member of the site i take surveys at. like spork said, theres some good sites out there, but a whole lot more that will rip you off.

Last edited:
dr-ripple said:
have you tried closing the window to that site shiat . . . talk about Jesus coming out of the dark . . .I thought about Bodyguard flashback

Yeah I noticed that too. I'm going to edit the site out just to make sure that any one who might click it won't get any nasty spyware or something on their computer. I hope you don't mind DFRS. <3

As pennywise said, be careful about taking surveys and work from home sites as most of them are scams. The number one rule is you should NEVER have to pay them.

There are some legit sites out there but most of them are scams. Be sure to do your research.

spork said:
Yeah I noticed that too. I'm going to edit the site out just to make sure that any one who might click it won't get any nasty spyware or something on their computer. I hope you don't mind DFRS. <3

No no that's fine babe, sorry about that i didn't actually think about that :\

I run a custom fishing tackle buissnes out of my garage and make decent money (1500-4500$ a month depending on the time of year). Its all me though, no fucking scam involved..

There is another forum site that has all sorts of links to free survey sites. I will post it and if a mod would like to check it out before removing it feel free. http://slickdeals.net/. Site also has everday things that can save you money like coupons or research panels for different parts of the country. Those are where the money is at. Almost like selling plasma ;).

I am a member of like 5-6 sites and get numerous invites every day. I don't get qualified for all of them probably about 1/3 of them. Its good beer money. And some of the surveys actually pay you to try out items. I have gotten paid to test shaving cream and cologne. Just make sure you build your profile and you will get more invites.

^Can you or JV PM me the links for some of these things? Might be something I could do at some point. Id like to write the links down.

My boyfriend works from home and makes enough money to live off of... but doesn't have much left over. At all. I would only suggest to use it as either a college job or an in-between job. It's not the type of career I'd be comfortable with for the rest of my life, but that's just me. :)

Online surveys

I work as a project manager in the market research business and make use of online opinion panels extensively.

They basically work like this:

1. Company wants to know how their product/advertising campaign/brand is performing and submits a research brief
2. Research company submits research proposal and wins the work
3. Research company designs survey and survey sample (i.e. the 'mix' of the population that will be selected to answer the survey)
- Sample will vary depending on research but is usually designed to represent those who buy the particular product
- The survey incorporates 'screener' questions that will determine if the respondent fits into the sample, for example, how old are you?, how often you buy product x? etc. Screeners will usually try to weed out 'professional' respondents by asking them to nominate which products they buy from a list of 5+ diverse things. If the respondent answers 'yes' to all 5, they will be refused.

So it's fairly difficult to qualify unless you are a genuine user of the target product or you get lucky. Online panels that you sign up to will also record when you complete a survey and usually 'quarantine' you (that is, prevent you from answering another one) for a certain amount of time.

The above reasons mean that the rewards for participating are usally pretty low and infrequent I don't think you could make a living out of it. It's pretty much just a way to get easy cash or 'points' to trade in for prizes.

But please keep doing it, or I'll be out of a job! :D

I work from home, only in the university holidays, but I do 25-ish hours a week for £7.50 an hour plus commission (roughly US$13 which isn't bad for a student job).

I do admin and sales for a company that sells premium foods over the internet. thrilling I know but it's actually not so bad. Basically I communicate with my boss, who lives about 150 miles away from me, several times a day over email and google documents and Skype. It actually works pretty well and I get quite a lot of work done. Who knows, maybe this is how more and more work will get done in the future. etc.

One of my friends used to transcribe Medical Doctor's notes from home. She could type like 200 words/minute (not sure but it was phenonomal).

I wonder if those new digital recorders have a program for voice recognition that can do the work 4 U?

I removed some of the off-topic stuff. -pw

Last edited by a moderator:
Those I know who work from home and are success doing so are extremely focused and self motivated. Usually they're high priced consultants or ridiculously driven and talented designers. If you're going to become a sole proprietor or free lancer you basically have to eat, sleep, breathe, and shit your work. That is if you want to stay competitive and produce a good living. For every success story there are a dozen failures. It's not easy.