• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol Doctors have told me my liver is only functioning at 20%

As others have said, you're young, the body has an amazing ability to heal. You relapsed, so what? Don't let it continue. A slip up does not mean anything other than you made a little mistake. I'm sure we've all been there. The important thing is to see it as a little mistake and not as something that defines you. I know I'd miss you if you're gone. I'm sure people who actually know you would miss you a whole lot more. Much love, you can do it, life is beautiful, it just sometimes doesn't feel like it. ❤

I just came back from a Great AA meeting, This ladys Liver was shut down , and she made it ( she was Yellow)! Then received the Grace of sobriety, and now id 9 years sober and living a totally different live and thriving (y)

Thanks for all the replies, everyone! Thank God I didn't totally relapse, just that one stupid slip up. Mostly I'm just embarassed of my drunk-posts.

Psshhh.. don't be embarrassed.
I have posted drunk so many times.. Thank jeebus for the delete option! ?

so many good replies. Chemically Enhanced, i hope you get through your problems. i've been lucky with my liver, i had hep c for 15 years on top of a massive gear and crack addiction and in 2012 i was in prison and just on methadone, so decided to give interferon a go ( to get rid of hep c). before i was treated they did an ultrasound on my liver and i was shocked to learn that mine was fairly healthy. my point to you mate is medical science is a wonderful thing, but you need to give your body a chance and try and keep off the alcohol. i know it's easier said than done, alcohol was my first addiction, but once i started using gear (not advocating it just telling u about me) i swapped alcohol for heroin. in a way, it freed me and fuked me at the same time. anyway, i've rambled on enough. my thoughts are with you.

Hey man first of all, quit the fucking alcohol man, that shit is literally poison. As one of the other posters said, one slip up doesn't define you. I know you feel defeated, but you can possibly get a liver transplant or take medication. I'm pretty sure the liver can repair itself, as long as you dont sabotage yourself.

I know how your feeling bro. I got in a bad car accident in 2016 and crushed my spine. I've had fusion surgery's to injections, to everything else in between. I already had a bad back, but the accident just turned my life upside down. Than in 2018 I got diagnosed with IGA nephropathy, that is an incurable and progressively worse kidney disease. At some point in the near future I am going to need dialysis, or a kidney transplant. I refuse to do dialysis, I'm just now going to the hospital 5 days a week or whatever it is to clean my blood. If I cant get the transplant, which h realistically I'm not, than I'm done. Not to mention I'm only 26 and all this shit has happened too me.

I truly believe you can still live a long and productive life if you just cut out the alcohol. Also, even if it seems that nobody will miss you, I can guarantee that's not true. I used to think the same thing, and one time I came to my mom's house at 1 in the morning to crash there so I wouldn't risk a dui. And when I came in, her bedroom door was closed and I heard her devastated and crying about my health and that she most likely will outlive her own kid and her husband (my dad) already, to her friend. Dude that just broke me man, I've only cried a couple times in my adult life, and that was one of those times.

Sorry for the long post, but telling you my story hopefully will give you a wake up call and quit the alcohol, and also people do care about you, and would me devastated if you died man.

Ps, if I'm a match, I swear I would give you my liver l, so don't say people dont care about you. Keep your head up man. You can beat this.

One, alcohol dependence is a very rough ride. The psychological aspect of alcohol addiction keeps one believing alcohol will help self-medicate your pain. You do have pain and alcohol does medicate it, but your in place where you can kill yourself with it.
Two, alcohol dependence is physically a major problem. You have to deal with daily use, withdrawal, kindling, and organ damage. Not to mention loss of cognitive function. Working through all that is a serious challenge. There's no right way to do it, you may end up substituting one thing for another ('picking your poison') or make mistakes along the way. It happens. But it can be worked through in an infinite amount of ways.
Three, I have known many people along the way who are no longer around. If you're a lifelong drug and alcohol/psychiatric person, you understand its part of life, it's part of the process. There's no law and no religion that prohibits you from having major issues like addiction or psychiatric problems. Try to recognize when your mind is not thinking what you want it to think. Its like watching a tv show or horror movie, or having a nightmare, enjoy the entertainment and remember it's just a bunch of unintelligible bullshit. In consensus reality it means nothing. Hopefully the craziness will pass sooner than later. Understand the risks you face and try your best to avoid the most pressing harm you face. This is a tricky business.
Fourth, you can use doctors and health providers for what you want. If you're paying them, ask for what you want until you get it. Its not their life, though many are well intentioned, some are as flawed as you are, or more so. Use them, if you pursue it long enough you can find people, treatment, and medications that will heal you. This is a fact.
Lastly, enjoy the craziness, you're the one suffering, if someone else has a problem with it, don't get angry, just say fuck 'em and write 'em off. Then get on with your life.

Psshhh.. don't be embarrassed.
I have posted drunk so many times.. Thank jeebus for the delete option! ?

Thanks, Quckfix, I really needed that ? still reading over the last couple of days posts..hoping I didn't get too depressing or self-indulgent..

I refuse to do dialysis, I'm just now going to the hospital 5 days a week or whatever it is to clean my blood. If I cant get the transplant, which h realistically I'm not, than I'm done.

Why would you refuse dialysis if you need it? No judgement, but it seems odd.

I flush my system on sober days with as much water as I can. Stop drinking and switch to something that doesn't harm your liver? Take up cannabis? Idk.

I flush my system on sober days with as much water as I can. Stop drinking and switch to something that doesn't harm your liver? Take up cannabis? Idk.

I do usually drink like 1.5 gallon plus of non-alcoholic fluids a day. And this was a VERY rare drinking binge. I normally avoid alcohol at all costs.

Stop drinking and get yourself Milk Thistle. Milk Thistle is such a potent liver regenerator that it is used with success when someone eats a poison mushroom that kills the liver. I had a dog many years ago that had liver failure and the vet wanted to put her down. After a few weeks of Milk Thistle I went back for heartworm pills and the vet asked what the hell I did now that the dog perked up. She lived another 16 months happily after that. SHe was 15 anyway.

The liver can heal. It is an amazing organ. Oh and nothing is every over. Reality is a shifting moving target that has no real target. I have an aunt that had stage 3 lung cancer 15 years ago. Almost stage 4. She is 86 now and still smokes (not the point though so really, quit drinking). So you never know when it is over. None of us do. Stay well.

It's over now. It was just a 2-3 day bad binge. My parents found out very last night/early this morning and to my utter shock were actually very kind and supportive about it! :)
That i's, back to sobriety for me. No more of the devils' piss.

It's over now. It was just a 2-3 day bad binge. My parents found out very last night/early this morning and to my utter shock were actually very kind and supportive about it! :)
That i's, back to sobriety for me. No more of the devils' piss.

Good to hear C.E.

The liver is the one amazing organ in the body that can regenerate itself.
Given time, nutrition, and no toxins.

Hang in there. Good job for reaching out for help.

Good to hear C.E.

The liver is the one amazing organ in the body that can regenerate itself.
Given time, nutrition, and no toxins.

Hang in there. Good job for reaching out for help.

Thanks, PO! I feel like you and other people who posted like you really helped me gather the strength to say "no".
I'm very grateful to you guys for helping cut short a potential relapse.

C.E., hows it going ?
Beautiful here in the NE☀☀
Still cool for June, but No rain
A great day to be Sober
All is well
Ice

Hey there, Ice :)
Everything is going good thanks. Once more free from the grasp of the demon drink.
Hope all is well with you too?

So glad to hear you are doing well C.E.
It helped me to know I was able to help you out!
I’m dealing with a lot myself.
Thank you!

If you need any advise on healing the Liver feel free to ask me.
I had full blown liver failure and was able to heal it.
Eat a lot of mushrooms (just the food kind ;) they are a superfood and really help heal the liver up.
Lots of fruits and vegetables. Very small portions of meat. Try and stay away from red meat and pork.
Learning meditation helped also.
Drink lots of water.

I am really proud of you C.E!
Keep up the good work!

If the doctors gave you a 10% chance to make it to 30 thats pretty good odds. Just think of the things you could do in the future if you luck out and make it through these bad times. And if you must get fucked up try to find something that isn't hard on your liver, it needs rest and probably a lifetime of recovery.

Write off that slip and don't repeat it. Start taking Milk Thistle, Vitamin B1 and Vitamin B12 in high doses (discuss dosages with a pharmacist as I don't remember).

Your liver can regenerate as long as it's not cirrhotic. It's the one organ that can. I think your lover would want you to live life to the full and meet her/him again when you die of old age.

I know quitting alcohol is hard - trust me I know. It's so worth it though. See a doctor about Naltrexone, campral or antabuse if you haven't already. Get as many people in your corner as possible.

YOU CAN DO THIS.