• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Do you tell your doctor you smoke pot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
a) One of the previous posters is right about the MIB. What you tell them can wind up in the Insurance companies hands in the future and have consequences for you. Know your doc and if he will not chart it and is enlightened, you can tell them. Even then, I might limit it to those states where the state has made it medically legal.

b) I would limit it to my GP / internist. Mine still thinks I am 25 years clean and sober. I sometimes need a few spare opiates and get 30 or so from him for "emergencies" so I have not updated him that I was using pot again. ;)

c) Pain management doctors are under increased scrutiny as opiates, benzos, and muscle relaxers are being prescribed in record numbers. The DEA is cracking down on them and in order to keep their privileges, many are insisting on counseling and / or just flat cutting people off of opiates if they smoke pot. My last one made me sign an agreement not to smoke pot and agree to random testing. The "cleanser" did not work and I failed the piss test. I went back to my old pain management doc who did not have such a policy.

d) Pot is less dangerous than alcohol, but many docs do not understand this. If your doc routinely hands you the latest meds for your ailments, he is a puppet for the drug reps. He is not likely a good candidate to be completely honest with about your pot usage.

The opinions and observations are my own and the advice is free. Take it for what it is worth.

Well it is good to be completely honest with your doctor.... Who knows if one day he decides to write you a script it may interfere with the medication in a bad way( very unlikely). But hey it could be a good idea plus there is a little thing called doctor patient confidentiality.

Now i'm not saying that you HAVE to tell your doctor you smoke pot.... I am seeing a doctor and he is the one perscribing me suboxone. He tells me he does't want me to smoke pot so I tell him I quit..... Lol I dont think there is any reason to no smoke pot as far as my health...

But I don't want him to stop writing my scripts so I like to tell him what he wants to hear ;)

Didn't have a choice, when my parents found my "stash" they called my doctor and i had to fess up to everything i take.. Went to go to rehab after that..

A close mate of mine told his doctor and somehow the day after he did that his parents found out. I wouldn't trust them.

Depends on the doctor. I did in college because I am an honest person and I thought it was funny, and I KNEW they could tell. Then I wanted to doctor shop for scripts, and if you tell them you smoke weed you will not get anything cool. Lesson learned. Depends on what health problems you are encountering too.

Man I remember a thread just like this a while ago and coulda sweared I posted in it. Aw well.

I used to tell my doc when I was 14-17, then when my doc wanted to put it on my record I walked out. Remember, you are paying the doctor, you are his patient but you are also his boss, you pay his bill.

Found a new doctor and have not told him about cannabis. I also go to a pain clinic and if that were to get out, I doubt I would be so trusted there with opiates and pain medication for my injuries and surgical pains.

Bottom line, I'd keep the drug use to yourself unless you feel it is effecting you in anyway, or if you are looking for help, because it is a fast track to a headache or being labeled as a drug abuser.

Depends on your doc, so YMMV.

if your doctor ever handed you a cup to go piss in he/she already knows.its pretty standard for them to check your piss for health concerns,including drugs.

I tell my doctor and psych everything (if i deem it relevant that is)... don't see any reason not to seeing as its confidential and judgement free. Especially when it's strongly connected to the matter at hand so they can give you the best service possible.

yes I tell my doctor I smoke, also tell him how much a day to...he's a good bloke though and he's been my doc for the last 6yrs now. If you go to the docs or hospital they need to know so you can be treated right...I have ADD and depression though and he understands it's a good helper in relieving the 10billion thoughts rushing around all day. A doctor is not going to go running to the cops going old mate's on the hooter/pipi/harry whatever, they have doc/patient confidentionaly shit in place, they are there to help not prosecute :)

this is my favorite thing about the doctor :)

I told my doctor I smoke, and he consistently dismissed my 'legitimate' (and very painful) problem for months, on the basis that the drugs were causing me to imagine it.
He continually refused to refer me to a consultant. In the end I had to 'go private' and I told that guy exactly the same thing
...20 mins later, problem solved ...20mins, and £200...

While honesty is almost always the best policy with docs, as a person who has had a great deal of difficulty getting pain meds for very real, very severe abdominal pain, I would think it a very good thing to not have recreational drug use in your medical records.
RJ

They've never asked. Only usually about cigarettes. But if I was asked specifically it probably wouldn't be safe to lie.

*safe in the way that it may affect your health, not legal or police or anything.

Thought I'd clarify :D

Recently changed dermatologists. The first place I checked out sent me all these forms to sign and bring in. One form was a consent form to a mandatory drug test before they would see me the first time.

Needless to say, I found a different derm.

my doctor actually very highly recomended me to smoke weed..

at the time i was trying to overcome my herion addiction, 10 years down and still fighting the same battle :(

edit:
just to be be clear, im from UK england, and laws on weed / canabis are most probably more relaxed as others, not like amsterdam where its totally legal lol, hopefully we be there one day.. the irony is, UK is one of worst countris in europe for class a addictions, yet amsterdam hardly has any class a drugs problems, and canabis and prostitution is legal (amazing country belive me, ive been there lol )

but here in UK if your caught with a bit of weed or solids on you and you have no previous in possesion, no action is taken towards you, they just take the weed off you, no doubt to smoke themselfs lol..

Last edited:
i tell my counselor but not my md. Bye bye cough syrup, and ambien, and any sort of Legal fun you get from him lol

It seems ridiculous, but, no I don't. It's too stigmatizing, and once that note goes in your chart, it stays forever. When you change doctors, the new one will be primed with info from your last and may result in h/h not taking you seriously on visits.

Yea. My pediatrician told me once in a while is perfectly fine.
When i got a new doctor she told me its never fine and they are as bad as cigarettes and will kill me faster..

Status
Not open for further replies.