• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Do you enjoy getting stuck in loops from acid ?

fastandbulbous said:
^ Cannabis is the worst drug going for getting trapped in thought loops (and usually becomes anxiety ridden)

Certainly ; each and every time I've been stuck in an uncontrollable loop (that is, an uncomfortable one...) It has been due to excessive cannabis ...

This usually results in complete memory loss the next day too, bar the odd flashback..

One case in particular, I watched a film with a repetetive sound track - one song that plays consistantly, 4 or 5 times throughout the film (can't recall the title atm)... this perpetuated my thought loop. Being relatively inexperienced with psychedelics at the time, I opted to try and 'kill' the loops by smoking bong after bong of cannabis - aiming to get into a blissfully unaware, cabbaged state...

massive mistake... the evening continued, the song carried on repeating - time after time after time... I got the inevitable "I'm stuck" thoughts etc...

I remember quivering in the corner for almost the rest of the trip... not speaking at all even though apparently several people tried to talk to me

I suffered a massive ego loss this particular evening; the next day was wonderful however - but I will never ever choose to re-live that experience! The following day I was filled with so much emotion I cried uncontrollably several times, which is completely out of character; being the man's man

I cannot explain the feelings I get; the thought process etc. when I hear that particular song to date... thinking about it now i almost has me in the same mind-state....

Quite an outstanding experience I think.... I learnt many many lessons about myself that fateful evening, including confronting many of my lurking inner demons in what can only be described as a mind-duel =D

I hope this goes some way to describing the phenomenon to those who don't know what these loops consist of; and offer some advice with regards to stupidly excessive cannabis use - the confusion from being stone to pieces combined with your mind running a million thoughts per second on acid - have some respect for cannabis!

fastandbulbous said:
^ Cannabis is the worst drug going for getting trapped in thought loops (and usually becomes anxiety ridden)
so true.
Cannabis almost always gets me stuck in a loop. But I enjoy it though.

fastandbulbous said:

And I HATE how true it is. Last couple of times I've smoked up with a few friends they would cheer me on to keep smoking the bong with them when my tolerance has gone to almost zero[I rarely smoke anymore], and I always end up having some GENIUS thought pop up in my head, being happy for myself, then eventually dwindling down into being terrified of everyone and everything in the room.
I always tried to move room to room but it just kept happening.

However, salvia is even worse in my personal experience.
I always seem to end up in a corner practically bawling I just get overwhelmed by everything.

Hmm, I don't get loops even a little bit with cannabis. I suppose I used to sometimes. I dislike negativity loops, like anxiety and depression and so forth, but I enjoy the "god-loop", where it's as if you're continually waking up further, remembering what it is like to be "god". This loop eventually leads to the void, which can be frightening, but to me it's frightening like a rollercoaster; that is, it's exciting and memorable.

My first psychedelic experience was with shrooms, 9 grams! Well after I blew my mind apart from that, I felt I could handle anything. To this day, that trip has produced the most insane negative thought loop I think any conscious being can experience, minus those on shrooms with mental disorders perhapes.

While I had no experience with hallucinogens, the knowledge I attained from reading every source online and in books for 6 months gives you the misconception you won't be overwhelmed like the other idiots before you. Naturally I thought I took too much (when in actuality I did). I remember totally being unable to do simple tasks like opening my eyes between psychedelic waves when the loop give you a brief second to snap out of it. The negative loops were true hallucinations of different scenarios of me dying, falling mainly. What was interesting is that each recycling of the loop showed the same exact images but with one very minute aspect changed.

When I started to show signs of coming down I thought a bowl full from a bong would sober me up. Mistake number 2. This error in judgement reignited the thought loop multi-fold. As experience has shown me in later years, while cannabis creates zero anxiety while used alone for myelf - it adds a certain something to any psychedelic trip that will make the threshhold for thought loops to be drastically lowered. Cannabis is almost the exclusive trigger to start thought loops for myself.

I still can't say I can control thought loops very well at all after all my experiences, which thankfully keeps my hallucinogen use in check. If there were no negative consequences on tripping I could see a much higher addiction potential.

This "god-loop" is what I consider the most valuable precious experience anyone psychonaut can hope for. If you aren't spiritual prior to experiencing this you soon will be -or- have a new found appreciation for life. I find it difficult to reach this state, your mind must be in the right place and all things aligned (or find the right combo). I achieved this on LSD/Ketamine/Cannabis LIGHTS OUT. Can't beat total sensory deprivation.

Very scary thought loops on oral DMT!

Like Zophen says, get up and act instead of (in my case) laying in my own vomit thinking I am an insect, fertilizer, a pattern, nothing, and other various ideas...over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Frolicking in a pasture in the middle of the night coming down from oral DMT however is a different thing altogether!!!

<3

The only time I experienced acid loops was the first time I dropped. I did not enjoy it at all my mind would continue to wander back to the same story That I could not explain I got tired of it and so did my company. Since then I learned more about my mind and myself in general.

My favorite thing to do in meditation on acid is to clear my internal dialogue and concentrate all thought on questions I take note of the day before. I find that the answers I am given have much more substance and weight behind them.

Well, It depends on the Loop, and where I am/how im feeling when it occurs. The last loop i was in involved me maniacally pen drawing and thinking I was god as I did so, so that was pretty sweet

One time I was introducing 4 of my friends to mushrooms, none of them with any previous psychedelic experience and all 4 of them got caught in these loops. It was absolutely devastating to the trip and I don't think anyone had a good time, I was too busy trying to convince them that they are okay and it's all part of the experience and trying to convince myself that I was right and I wasn't going to fall into one of the loops that I forgot to have a good time.

I always tend to fall into the same loop when it happens to me, which it has on LSD, DOx(not quite sure what it was, but it definitely wasn't acid) , and Salvia. I always think that life is a joke, and is on replay. I relive the experiences of my life and convince myself that I've done this all before and at some point it's going to stop and whenever I realize it, it starts all over again from the beginning.

The thing that is craziest about these are the visuals I have along with them. It always happens in a semi-dream state, so it's out of this world. One time my body was a bowling lane, but also an empty mold. As the ball would roll down the lane, the mold would fill up with my actual body, and as the ball hit the pins, that would be my realization and my life would start over. Throughout the balls travels I'd see some of my life experiences. Each of the lanes were my body at different ages in my life.

These always tend to preempt ego-death experiences for me, but I'm never ready for it.

I didn't get loops from LSD, but I get mad loops when combining salvia and weed (in the seconds before the salvia kicks in.) Kind of interesting, I guess, not very frustrating to me because I feel very good.

Happaned to me once on some real strong blotter (underestimated the strength) my friend came over and I was just laying on the floor trippin and hes like "smoke this" handed me a bubbler i took a few hits and BAM, he didn't tell me how fuckin strong the weed was (very sativa domminant) sent me thru this "Forever" trip like mabey I could be like that forever and since theres no turning back your stuck to deal with it.

In those situations it comes down to acting like a shark, if they stop moving they die so you just keep yourself occupied with things and its easier to take your mind off of it. It also makes the trip alot better.

It seems many people are describing different phenemenon.

First there is the nitrous style wah-wahs.

Secondly, there is simply thinking a sentence over and over again. Usually this is described as happening on a freak out: like "will i be okay? oh my god, am I going to survive? oh my god, will I be okay? am i alright? oh my god, will I be okay?"

Thirdly, there is the thing where your body almost freezes, and you think the same (usually short) idea over and over again. You are literally stuck. You can't function. Every time you think your phrase, it triggers your brain to think that same phrase over again, and over again, and over again, and over again, and over again. I guess you could say it is slightly similar to when you have a nightmare, and you are trying to escape something, and you keep running and running, and it keeps getting closer and closer, and you keep running and running. You can't do anything else, you can't really think about anything else, you are consumed. They might be more similar if the nightmares lasted for many minutes before you woke up.

Fourthly, there is the so-called "god-loop". Tell me if I'm getting this wrong here, but it feels kind of like this wavy rising feeling (it can feel like sinking too). It feels circular almost, but it repeats itself over and over again, each time at the peak (top of the circle) you get some "strange feeling" that I can't describe. The feeling is very inhuman, almost backwards. The cycles seem to be building towards something. I have never reached the top of that building sensation, and broken past it.

Lastly, there is the thing where you try thinking about other things but your mind keeps coming back to an old thought. You want to branch out, but you keep thinking the same ideas over again. You can't come up with anything new. It's almost like writers block.

Feel free to correct me here.

Nothing I'm saying is set in stone. I certainly can't speak for other people.

Last edited:
thought loops can be pretty hilarious in retrospect... what i understand them to be is getting stuck in a state of mind where you just can't shut up about one thing in particular. For example, this kid I know kept talking really loud and apologizing for talking really loud because he kept forgetting that it was annoying for other people; he did the same thing for like 3 hours "o guys im so sorry im talking loud, omg so sorry, damn am i still talking really loud? o wow i LOVE THIS SONG. holy shit am i yelling? omg im sorry am i talking loud? are you sure ive been talking loud? is it annoying? am i talking loud? etc...." the other 6 people in the room couldn't get a word in he was apologizing for talking loud and not shutting up for so long.

co.1nspire said:
I know what you mean by god-loop. Its like your in an upwards spiral of liberating consciouseness. Once you reach the top and have let go, you know everything. It really feels like you see the world through the eyes of god. Maximum intuition.

This is a +4 experience, when you "come home" safely and securely and realize you are IT. The classical term for it is "soteria" meaning safe return. The knowledge you receive is called "metanoia" or all-knowing.

The scary loops are experienced in a +3 experience, or psychedelic intoxication. It can vary in intensity. Most of the ones described here seem to be +2s or maybe light +3s in which the participants are still able to function on something of a conscious level. When it gets heavier, you can't communicate logically. Your conscious brain has been superceded by your subconscious mind and you're extremely vulnerable to influences of all kinds. You might act on instinct alone, but generally you're just lost in the experience.

When the loops are uncomfortable but not overwhelming (less intoxication or loss of conscious control on your part), its evidence of a submerged neurosis you should deal with before tripping too hard again. If not, you will have to deal with it sooner or later while you're tripping, and if it's serious, it could lead to a bad trip. If you resolve it on such a trip, it can be very liberating. But it's very risky business. If you get there but don't resolve the problem, it can remain intensified when you come down from your trip and trouble you worse than ever.

If you resolve ALL your personal negative baggage while on an intense +3 you will break through to a +4. But there is no way to guarantee this, or to plan for it. And it's an incredibly painful mental ordeal to go through. The kind of trip that has you coiled on your bed, holding your head in terror, trying to "hold" your mind in so you don't lose it.

(Note: I'm not claiming that you need to go through this negative experience to reach a +4, just that the loops are connected to the +3 experience level, and if that becomes a "rebirthing" process, you eventually should transcend the looping and hit perfect clarity. Bottom line is, you can't willfully bring on a +4, it is a gift, like the "Holy Ghost" descending upon you.)

Ive never experienced a thought loop whilst on any psychdelic and ive had a fair share of experiences

I do however get caught up on those Psychdelic wild goose chases all the time.

I quite enjoy it ill spend my day wandering around looking for various things or to do something only to forget when i get there and go in search of something else