• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Do you believe “addicts” can ever use again in moderation / safety?

Do you believe “addicts / alcoholics” can use moderately and safely after suffering life changes?

• Yes they can use non addictive substance in safety

Votes: 19 29.2%
  • Yes they can use anything in moderation

Votes: 35 53.8%
  • No they cannot use anything

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
Ok I'm genuinely confused now as to whether you're deliberately taking the piss, or trying to bait me or whatever.

PS am autistic, crap at reading most social cues. I also dunno what /jk is supposed to mean.
Guy/girl I’m not trying to take a piss or bait you (at least I don’t think so as I’m not native speaker but I think I know what those expressions mean). And jk means just kidding. I was just joking.

As in, you weren’t a junkie but just thought you were. I wrote what I wrote cuz I remembered Charlie Sheen once said when he “stopped” drinking, something like, that he figured out most people aren’t drinking at all by his standards at least, but just sipping. And surely something like that applies to lot of people drinking or doing drugs. Still I was just joking not stating it as a fact for you.

Anyway sorry if I was rude to you by any means as that wasn’t my intention at all.

Guy/girl I’m not trying to take a piss or bait you (at least I don’t think so as I’m not native speaker but I think I know what those expressions mean). And jk means just kidding. I was just joking.

As in, you weren’t a junkie but just thought you were. I wrote what I wrote cuz I remembered Charlie Sheen once said when he “stopped” drinking, something like, that he figured out most people aren’t drinking at all by his standards at least, but just sipping. And surely something like that applies to lot of people drinking or doing drugs. Still I was just joking not stating it as a fact for you.

Anyway sorry if I was rude to you by any means as that wasn’t my intention at all.
Ok, get ya.

PS I'm a guy. And you weren't being rude, just confusing to me.

I'm not going to vote because I think that everyone is an unique individual with different levels of addiction.

I can use in moderation if I have too. As in I had a tooth extraction earlier this year and took hydrocodone for a couple weeks. Then I stopped.

That has happened a couple times in the 7 years being clean. I still choose to stay away from things I've had addictions to before.

But say if I asked some of my friends or family, they tell me if it weren't for treatment like subs or methadone they would use h every chance they got.

It's true what they say about treating the root of your addiction. If I came to you and offered a better way to deal with pain, or sadness, or anger you'd have no use for drugs anymore. But sadly some people never let themselves try anything else.

I use THC still sometimes when I want to feel like I'm in a comedy club on Xbox.

Why am i so rambly , 😕

One thing that I think is helpful for addicts is to make a list of the drugs that you are cool with and the drugs that you are not cool with.

This is a good example to young people.....just so they can see that not every human mixes with every drug. I think it's good to show people that the point is not to do alll of the drugs all of the time.

Here is a list of the drugs that I will never do:
  1. opiates (by reputation)
  2. LSD (too strong for me, didn't like it)
  3. gin (brain hurt!)

I tend to stay away from mushrooms, but they're not exaclty toxic for me. If your'e a young person striking out fresh into the drug world, I want you to see that those of us who are succesful have a strong sense of boundries and an interest in setting a set of rules for ourself. Research is good.
You talk to anyone who has been on a proper bender and they'll tell you that they don't want to be on all of the drugs all of the time. It's not even fashionable.

My personal definition of an addict is someone that can’t use in moderation and will always return to an abusive pattern so no, by definition they can’t (for me).

I would disagree and i am living proof that you can go bavk to using drugs in moderation. I was heavily addicted to opiates and benzos for over a decade but after having to go cold tiurkey for about a year off them after being locked up in the psych i was no longer hooked. When i was clean from morphine and clonazepam i used alot of coke so i was kind of substuting with a even worse substance. Sobriety off opiates and benzos was simply not for me.

Now i have been on back opiates and benzos for about 3 years or so and i am still not addicted to them. I try and not use for any longer then 2 weeks in a row or so so i dont become hooked again. I take breaks now and only take my opiates for pain or to get high not to maintain a habit.

I also take zopiclone and am not addicted to that either though i sometimes abuse that to

It’s possible but rare, and I don’t think using as using various stuff but as paranoid android uses, that is truly rare. Maybe not so much with BLs active members as most had way better understanding of both their doc and their addiction even while being dependant. But as for general population of addicts, I’ve seen it plenty times, someone stopping certain addiction but not drugs all-together.

For myself I feel I could use etizolam just fine now if I had it. And use it in a manner I would gain more than loose. Tho, I’m not really on a quest for etiz or substitute but I’ll rather try to completely sort out myself with dissos and psychedelics and weed. All in moderation. I used to overdo even weed, now I don’t even smoke every day and often smoke just one joint at night.

Booze is a bit more problematic for me, not cuz I love it that much but more cuz it’s everywhere, just about every fucking lunch/dinner, every fucking celebration or mourning, after/during hard work etc. It’s just part of the culture here and saying no, even when they know you’re on pills or something is hard….like one or two drinks wont kill you, well fuck off…

As for morphine my dreamy love, even I have used it for years I hardly done any damage with so don’t see why I wouldn’t be able to appreciate it even more.

As for coke, well that’s another story, leave me with a big amount and I can’t guaranty I won’t become coke-head even I’m not a huge fan of snow. I can kind of draw a parallel with nitrous, it’s good but not as good as much as I’ll use if opportunity allows for it.

I would disagree and i am living proof that you can go bavk to using drugs in moderation. I was heavily addicted to opiates and benzos for over a decade but after having to go cold tiurkey for about a year off them after being locked up in the psych i was no longer hooked. When i was clean from morphine and clonazepam i used alot of coke so i was kind of substuting with a even worse substance. Sobriety off opiates and benzos was simply not for me.

Now i have been on back opiates and benzos for about 3 years or so and i am still not addicted to them. I try and not use for any longer then 2 weeks in a row or so so i dont become hooked again. I take breaks now and only take my opiates for pain or to get high not to maintain a habit.

I also take zopiclone and am not addicted to that either though i sometimes abuse that to
Then by my definition you are not an addict are you, so you aren’t disagreeing with me at all.

I would say that someone who is an addict could use less harmful drugs in moderation and not be in danger of returning to their DOC. This is a very individual thing though. It's important to know your individual triggers, including drugs that lead to dangerous use. I like the suggestion of making a list of drugs that you are OK with.

I would however say that any substance that you have had problematic use with or been addicted to should be avoided at all cost, especially a substance you were physical addicted to because your brain remembers the dependence and resorts back to its defenses much quicker, which causes rebound and sets the stage for depression, anxiety, craving and relapses leading to dependance.

Ive seen a lot of people try the periodic usage game. Some can do it longer than others. I've seen people dabble on and off for years after addiction but after 25 years in the heroin game I can tell you almost everyone of those people wound up horribly strung out again. All it took was just the right crisis or life situation to send them back to the crutch they had been keeping on their mind and just at arms length for all that time.

I would however say that any substance that you have had problematic use with or been addicted to should be avoided at all cost, especially a substance you were physical addicted to because your brain remembers the dependence and resorts back to its defenses much quicker, which causes rebound and sets the stage for depression, anxiety, craving and relapses leading to dependance.

I think this is brilliant however I like @THECATINTHEHAT definition the best. Me, as one fat old dude, find it to be a good definition because people who are truly suffering sometimes benefit from seeing the world in black and white.

Since several people have already provided excellent definitions for the word addict, including you, I will point out what I see as one of the signs of the addict, is that a couple of beers, just makes them want more beer. A couple of lines just makes an addict want another line.

With me, my problem is that every day is a good day to smoke weed. Not a great thing, eh?

Last edited:

Surely using opiates for 2 weeks in a row you get re-addicted? As in physical withdrawals.

Wouldn't really categorise using them for two weeks in a row as moderate use particularly either.

Surely using opiates for 2 weeks in a row you get re-addicted? As in physical withdrawals.

Wouldn't really categorise using them for two weeks in a row as moderate use particularly either.

Nope i havent had physical withdrawals or mental wd's since i first came off opiates like 4 years ago

I'm sorry if I'm coming off a little aggressive, I really do apologize but are you guys MF crazy? No. An addict is an addict for a reason. They cannot use any substance in moderation if they're an addict. Are you guys delusional? What the hell kind of question is this? And the fact that no comes in last place on the poll show the kind of people that are in this forum. It's mostly filled with people who are using and have no desire to stop. Anyone who has been through any type of recovery has learned that you cannot pick up again and just use it in moderation. I mean I thought this was obvious. An alcoholic cannot drink in moderation or else they wouldn't be an alcoholic. If somebody uses drugs in moderation then they're not a drug addict. It's as simple as that. If you find yourself using in moderation then guess what? You're not an addict. But for someone like me who is absolutely 100% an addict, I could never use meth or cocaine or heroin in moderation. Hell, I could barely use ecstasy in moderation. That's what makes me an addict, the fact that I can't use drugs in moderation. If I could I wouldn't be an addict. My God, this is like drugs 101. Please people, if you're convinced you're an addict, do not try to use in moderation. It'll NEVER EVER work. You'll fail 10000/10000 times. You may be able to for a few weeks or so but never long term.

Nope i havent had physical withdrawals or mental wd's since i first came off opiates like 4 years ago
Then you weren't using much at all. And it's not mental withdrawal it's a mental addiction. If you're not experiencing any of these things then you're not an addict. Be happy about that but don't try to push it because even non addicts can become addicts when it comes to opiates because of the physical aspect

Not all drug's are equal as are individual responses.

But for me personally. Ending a devastating period of my life atm. Alcohol should be treated with extreme caution. as it grabbed me my the ball's very unexpectedly. And for sure I can never drink again, beside's 1 Shandy or a glass of Kombucha.

5 unit's and I am instantly in WD's the next day, suffering and addicted.

Never a substance hooked me so hard. And the weird part of the Ethanol beast is that its way less rewarding. But way more reinforcing as any other drug I got hooked on.

In WD's severity it tops my personal addiction chart, never got into stronger opiod's or a Benzo dependence:

1. Booze.
2. GHB/ GBL.
3. Kratom.
4. Cannabis.
5. Methoxetamine.

So the poll is useless to me, i can use anything moderately. Not that i will. Except Alcohol.
You don't know that though unless you do everything. Start shooting heroin and tell me that you can do that moderately after a month. Or start doing crystal meth. It's easy to say that you can do stuff in moderation that you've never done before. Now if you've done those things I apologize

Im a heroin addict and got clean. I have since gone back to using only twice a month to feed my craving. I dont use a lot either.
Yeah it's like this now but see if it stays like this. We all started at a few times a month. But then it progressed into everyday use. Eventually you're going to be using every day again and I would bet every single thing I own on that

Ask for non addictive substances, sure, if somebody wants to use acid they're not going to get hooked on acid but it's going to break the ice again to getting fucked up and it's going to lure them back in the direction of addictive substances. The answer is no and I have organizations that would back me up on that.

You don't know that though unless you do everything. Start shooting heroin and tell me that you can do that moderately after a month. Or start doing crystal meth. It's easy to say that you can do stuff in moderation that you've never done before. Now if you've done those things I apologize
Glad I never shot any Heroin, based coke or did Meth . Addiction is my weakness, my drugs of choice confirm that.. Except Ethanol.That was a surprise,