• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Do you believe “addicts” can ever use again in moderation / safety?

Do you believe “addicts / alcoholics” can use moderately and safely after suffering life changes?

• Yes they can use non addictive substance in safety

Votes: 19 29.2%
  • Yes they can use anything in moderation

Votes: 35 53.8%
  • No they cannot use anything

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
I thought you were writing my short story with Clonazepam. It was only when I felt anxiety. The four prescriptions I received none made it past day 10 of the month. the last didn't last a week. I could see where that was going. I pulled myself completely off of those. Lovemissile it seems like you've answered or the answer to your question. I know your question is / was for Negrogesic. If I may, I would like to say that, the best thing of all about your post is that you recognize where this is going. You know it, you're aware and now it's for LoveMissile66 to do something. I would think he, Negrogesic, would tell you that you should see your doctor. Not next week not Friday but tomorrow - no questions but tomorrow the more you wait, the more difficult it gets and the deeper you sink into the rabbit hole. You got this LoveMissile. I know you can do it. You know the problem. You articulated it. You have to want to slow down, and from I can see the doctor better find a different medication for you. It's considered a narcotic here in Canada. I presume it's the same in the states? Either way, they're dangerous for vulnerable people. I had said yes to my doctor but inside I was thinking like an addict. He'd asked me if I felt OK them and only when I need them. That's like leaving a bag of crack on the counter at a crack house and saying: Guys only take a little bit if you need it. That shit would be smoked before he reached the door - if he made lolol. But I say (in my opinion) see the doctor and tell him exactly what you said here. The truth. DON'T sugar coat it and say I take 2 or 3 ........... eeh sometimes 4 if I really need it. (and boy you do) You're gonna get that panic attack when you visit the doctor - you know that right? No doubt about it. Can I ask how you were getting so many? I mean I can obviously figure it out. There's only so many ways - street or visiting multiple clinics. Are you gonna be ok? Because I'm just thinking if you're getting on the street for those remaining 21 days in the month, this could be setting yourself up for a meltdown. If you're struggling at home with the Xanax because the doctor reduced your prescription or is still only giving you the 30 day supply, things may not change. Do you think you'll be ok?
my PCP prescribed all of my xanax, beginning with the 120 a month. Never bought them illegally.

I think more options need to be applied to the answers. Just because I was dependent on opioids when my back was really giving me problems (before two surgeries) doesn’t mean that I can never take any more. After all, my lumbar is degenerative so I still have considerable pain from time to time. My surgeon says I’m not a candidate for another surgery just yet, so it’s like I’m in between surgeries. Only feasible thing I can do is take pain medication from time to time. This is, of course, understood that I’m not willing, or will ever be willing, to seek, find and use street opiates, so I can’t give opinions on whether or not a heroin user can get off of it, and then use again in moderation. My intuition would be that it couldn’t be done. My pain med use is moderated by doctors, pharmacies and law. No such safeguard exists for street drugs.

^ This.

The poll is vague as is all of our drug use. Simply people's opinions.

Can't be quantified as we are all different.

Some say yes......some say no. Tomato. Too- matt-o.

I also agree that addicts that were in the grip of opioid addiction may very well need to take supervised pain meds if warranted. Stick to their dose.........don't run out.........comply with the contract if they are in pain management. Some can..............most don't. Once they get a script they are off and running.

That's how i was so i just have to live with no scripts ever again. I'm too compulsive and can't regulate my use. A flaw no question. But one I am aware of.

Yes. Heard of that, saw that and experienced that. But there’s one catch to it, to never ever get back to HC use for any time or even one binge in a blue moon and to never get to the point where use becomes problematic in one or another way even just a bit, well that, that is a true rarity.

So in essence, in short, yes, but for how long? Sure life situation and what not all influence that.

Mind you I don’t find moderation in things like - I only take X amount of X different pills and smoke loads of weed with those and such self-delusional “sober” folks.

Last edited:
Yeah, I absolutely believe that it's possible. It's simply about learning what works to control it. Granted, for many people addicted to drugs it probably is not worth trying to find what that is and it's just easier to abstain. In many cases it may even be outright dangerous to try to do. But I don't think that that makes it impossible.

Yeah, I absolutely believe that it's possible. It's simply about learning what works to control it. Granted, for many people addicted to drugs it probably is not worth trying to find what that is and it's just easier to abstain. In many cases it may even be outright dangerous to try to do. But I don't think that that makes it impossible.
Great point with that it can even be dangerous. On the other hand total abstention can also be dangerous for some, in a sense that life might stop being sunny all-together, possibly for too long for some to be able to cope with that.

Depends on what you are addicted to or have been, but my personal experience with drugs has been:
Ketamine - Frequent and fairly high volume useage
codeine - Regularly took and extracted pills to make 'shots'
diazepam - was up to 30mg a day at one point
mdma - once a month, lets be fair i treated this one with respect
Alcohol - become a heavy drinker for 6 months then got bored (and overweight)
cannabis - heavily addicted at points but now a very take it or leave or go days without approach

Nowadays, i sometimes enjoy some codeine and i use cannabis on and off but sometimes i go days or weeks without any but i do use CBD flower nearly every day

In an instance can they use again with moderation? Yes.

Long term? No. That's why they're an addict.

All in all the answer is No - too risky if they no longer wish to keep up the addiction.

In an instance can they use again with moderation? Yes.

Long term? No. That's why they're an addict.

All in all the answer is No - too risky if they no longer wish to keep up the addiction.
Addicts can STOP being addicts. They are THEN capable of moderation.

.. Has this ever occurred to you, or do you just buy into the 'once an addict always an addict' mantra.

.. Has this ever occurred to you, or do you just buy into the 'once an addict always an addict' mantra.

I was looking at it from the perspective of being an addict myself.

Yes I can use sensibly for one night. Can I do that 10 times in a row without relapsing? Probably not.

TheUltimateFixx you just say that cuz you always were just a sipper not a drinker ;) /jk

I was looking at it from the perspective of being an addict myself.
I'm looking at it from the perspective of HAVING BEEN an addict. A textbook one. 6 + years ago I checked every single junkie cliché that there was, believe me.
Yes I can use sensibly for one night. Can I do that 10 times in a row without relapsing? Probably not.
And you never ever will so long as the way you think about that drug is an addict's way of thinking.

I made SEVERAL failed attempts at 'moderation' and they were basically just driven by a desire to mitigate the damage of my drug use.
In other words I liked the IDEA of moderation, 'wouldn't it be nice if I could do that' ; I didn't actually WANT to moderate. What I WANTED was continue to shoot heroin several times a day and just magically evade the fall-out.

I keep telling people you can moderate IF, and only if, you 'want' to.
Only that 'wanting' DOESN'T mean wishing you could, or rationally seeing a benefit in it, or sincerely desiring to stop the bad shit that comes with addictive use, or having better intentions for yourself. It means wanting as in true PREFERENCE.

A comparison I like to draw is with compulsive fast food consumption. You're not gonna stick to any diet plan long-term if the implementation means miserably munching on salads while constantly fantasising about cheeseburgers. The only way it's gonna stick is if you can get yourself to a place where you can say 'ok I like burgers but right now I'd literally rather have a nice fresh salad'.

These days even if given the option of hitting myself multiple times daily I WOULD NOT TAKE IT. It requires no self-control because I genuinely do no longer WANT it.

No offence bro but I'm allowed to have my own opinion it is a forum. I have no interest in going back to using in any way shape or form; the drugs I was addicted to made me miserable, a shell of my former self.

TheUltimateFixx you just say that cuz you always were just a sipper not a drinker ;) /jk
Oh, I hadn't realised you knew me all my life.

I was a physically dependent user for the better part of five and a half years, my entire life revolved around heroin. My tolerance was ridiculous by the time I cut back and multiple therapists wrote me off as a 'hopeless' case.

.. I reckon according to your logic, my drunkard friend who preferred beer over spirits, so that he ended up having to make himself throw up mid - drinking session just so he could physically accommodate more alcohol to reach his desired level of intoxication (since the liver will eliminate the alcohol faster with a habituated drinker than the stomach and kidneys can process the volume of liquid), also was never a 'real alcoholic'.

PS he has a couple drinks on weekends these days.

No offence bro but I'm allowed to have my own opinion it is a forum. I have no interest in going back to using in any way shape or form; the drugs I was addicted to made me miserable, a shell of my former self.
Nobody contested this, least of all me -? 😶

If you feel you're personally better off with abstinence, ffs do abstinence. For some this is better and easier. I've never said somebody shouldn't be abstinent wtf.