• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Stimulants Do stimulants make you age quicker, make you older?

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter
I ask because since using speed/meth, my hair is thinner and shedding more, more grey (I'm 36), my face looks sunken and gaunt, and when I look in the mirror, I look older.

Also cardiac effects were concerning so a little research and medical journals claim frequent speed-induced tachycardia can take more than 10 years off you heart-lifespan.

I don't even know why I started using them 4 months ago but they ultimately served no purpose/benefit for me (I was hoping to use them to treat chronic fatigue/lethargy), and then kept using cause high doses was a dopamine rush, then realized they're making me older and the last four months went by without me even noticing it (cause I've spent so much time high AF in my apartment, listening to music and writing crap online whilst on speed).

Time passes too quick already.

So that and appearance of accelerated aging, no medical benefit and I've decided to never touch any stims again.

None the less I'm curious as to what others think of amphetamine/meth induced age acceleration?

Have you experienced any signs of aging I've described, do you believe stims induce a more aged appearance (and are detrimental to cardiac function? Heart-disease being btw the #1 cause of mortality globally).

No. But they definitely accelerate your metabolism and alongside a tendency to not have the basics down in food / water / sleep as a daily stimulant user you will have a physical decline right down to your looks sooner or later. It's actually one of the later signs I find with most people to be truly going downhill as in looking much older. Get some shelter to sleep, eat, drink water, take a break for a month and then see if you're still looking rough. If you are, think about your insides. Get everything checked out. It's actually pretty serious to be appearing obviously strung out and in a state of decay.

Most people who are using these drugs don't actually have the stereotypical 'faces of meth' look that people think. I got carded buying smokes and booze regularly until last summer when I was 30. Now it's rare. The difference last summer to now, and any time before? My use is catching up with me. I look much worse than I did at any point in my 20s almost immediately after hitting 30 because at that time last year I was extremely deep into polysubstance abuse and dependence while I also stopped taking care of my nutritional needs entirely. I've been completely stressed out and facing some health issues outside my mental health or addictions even to add onto it. I've been transient and moving around more than I have ever been before, and at this point my body just doesn't hold up as well as it used to. I can sleep for days if I find the time to do so and I never feel rested enough when i do this.

Stimulants are a good one to dodge here. There aren't actually many people who truly need something like a steady cycle of street meth just to be up and functional to do the basics. They make you more tired and less capable of most things physically over time.

Time passes too quick already.

Exactly - that was the biggest reason i chilled out with the benzos - time went by too quick and i dont remember much from that time unless somebody reminds me

but i was going to school and working at the same time, so it served it's purpose somewhat

now as far as knowing ppl who did end up with heart conditions from tweek, i only know of 1 person, but that dude's a lifer - been doing it since his teens and he's in his 40s and overweight

other than that, everybody i know that did tweek and then stopped, bounced back pretty quick, and they all look great now - like you would never know they even did tweek for a few years in a row - but they did look haggard while they were doing it

and that's just me looking at the ppl around me rather than me talking about myself which can be more critical in analysis

you're probably just going bald and gray because that's just what happens sometimes in your 30s - it happens to all of us regardless

is your dad bald and gray? what about his dad? you probably come from a long line of bald and gray dudes already so you're fucked no matter what

join the club

:cheers:

Couple months of being constantly dehydrated, not sleeping and getting vitamins from not eating properly will age anyone. It's not a direct effect from the chemical.
What are u talking about,? All stims force ur body to work harder. I've seen ppl die from a heart attack at age 30-35. Also the mugshots from 35-45 years old meth addicts, they all look fking wrecked unlike opiate addicts who maintain themselves young.

here's a nice gif of Brett Favre through the years - he retired at 41 - he looks like he's 90 now

What are u talking about,? All stims force ur body to work harder. I've seen ppl die from a heart attack at age 30-35. Also the mugshots from 35-45 years old meth addicts, they all look fking wrecked unlike opiate addicts who maintain themselves young.

Heart problems are the only thing that's really a direct effect from the chemical, the aging is the result of all the long term side effects associated with being stimmed all the time.

Sleep deprivation is so hard on your entire system. It affects everything. Plus your circadian rhythm is so important.

@JohnBoy2000
You should look up the neuroscientist Andrew Huberman on youtube if you havent already. I think youd like his content. He is one of the most educated reliable sources regarding these topics that I've ever listened to or read

Heart problems are the only thing that's really a direct effect from the chemical, the aging is the result of all the long term side effects associated with being stimmed all the time.
The stims are caustic,vasoconstriction also kills tissue and fucks up various organs. That plus the hardcore lifestyle of most addicts like u said ages them real fking bad.

here's a nice gif of Brett Favre through the years - he retired at 41 - he looks like he's 90 now

Clean since 1998.. went into alcohol seizure due to withdrawals pre surgery. But he has been clean since. So was it the alcohol and or drugs or is it just more genetics. His dad was a screaming alcoholic.. looked awful.

Sure you can't just roll stims and not take care of yourself. How many of you stim addicts take a high quality multivitamin, eat regularly and exercise regularly? How many of you take one week a month to catch up on sleep, calories and reset your tolerance? Oh yeah.. its stimulant withdraws.. BS.

What do you think will happen when you burn a middle aged candle at both ends.

Last edited:
They may or may not necessarily age you directly, but they certainly age you in practical terms. What I mean by that is a lot of heavy/moderate stim users will neglect sleep, food, water, and/or hygiene somewhat regularly. Just the act of neglecting those things alone will cause you to not look so great, stimulants can speed up the process by enforcing and possibly potentiating the consequential side effects of those bad health choices.

Meth will absolutely age you, there is no 2 ways about it. I was lucky...I was getting the pure beautiful ice and it brought me down so fast I hit bottom in only 4 months. I used off and on until I finally beat it for good 25 years ago. But I have seen it age people who used long term, no doubt about it.