• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Do some people really just not feel euphoric and warm feelings from opiates?

Just sounds like tolerance to me, the fact that you had euphoria at first. It fleeted for me too after I'd built some tolerance to the oxy, but it generally just made my body feel warm and cozy, I loved it. Thankfully there is none of this left in the house. I want tramadol next time or no opiates at all for procedures like this. I'll get my wisdom teeth out end of the year and trying to quit Prozac, has an interaction with Tram.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I read this article, livescience isn't super reliable, but I really wonder. I seem to be one who is easily prone to addiction as I'd recently been put on Oxy post sinus surgery. It made me feel so good and I've kind of craved it since I stopped, and I only took them for 10 days (5mg IR). A few of those times I felt extremely relaxed and warm and cozy. Isn't that what the drug should do to anybody? Is anybody capable of becoming addicted? The article just seems far fetched. I mean, ANYONE should be able to experience a nice opiate high, right?

I kind of felt guilty just knowing I'd enjoyed them. Drug and alcohol abuse runs rampant in my family, mostly alcohol which I had a problem with for awhile, but I've been sober for a little over 2 years now. I'm definitely addicted to cannabis but I don't mind that. And diazepam at the moment, though not exceeding 15mg usually in one day. I've never considered myself a strong addict, I've messed around with a lot of stuff, but my main addiction is cannabis, which can sometimes produce a not great high. I suppose the Oxy was similar as well, it didn't hit me nicely every time.

I'm addicted to kratom as well, so maybe the mu-opioid receptors were having a stronger response or something. My kratom use has actually been up a little because of my experience with the Oxy, I think I should not get it prescribed ever again, really. My kratom tolerance had absolutely no effect on the Oxy, it was very strong, like kratom was in the beginning (and can still produce strong effects, it's just working a lot differently and doesn't usually last as long).

So are drugs like oxy or any opiates capable of pulling anyone into addiction, and is this article a load of shit? I understand some people will have a bad reaction in the very beginning, like nausea, fatigue, but after a few days more enjoyable effects begin to pop up. I hated the oxy at first, didn't think I would even finish them. I miss that feeling, but I'm in no way going to try and get it again, and hope in some weeks my brain will forget about it and not crave that feeling. I've been under a major anxiety attack for days which is worth mentioning (thanks to prednisone) so that may have an impact on why I'd like to feel that way again. It wasn't even that strong or euphoric either, it just tickled in just the right way. Probably only 1/100th of what heroin would feel like.

I should note that I use 5-6g a day, or normally do. Now I'm closer to 8g a day which I'm not fond of. I don't like having to take 5g to feel good, I was at a point where 3g could be way too strong. But I recall when I used to take higher doses like 15g a day, I would not feel very much of it at all, but I felt the cravings to use it much more often. So perhaps my mu-opioid receptors really were just tickled by this experience, since, the less kratom I take, the less I crave it. I'm upping my doses temporarily because of my experience with the Oxy (and also because it raised my kratom tolerance some). I'm gonna mess with some black seed oil because apparently that tickles the mu-opioid receptors. I know one time I took a whole spoon (5000mg) and I felt absolutely incredible. But I had a horrible taste in my mouth for 2 days. It seemed to lower my kratom tolerance at the time. I have capsules but they are 950 per serving.

Sorry if this got a little off track.
I think most users who say/think they don't get an effect, are taking too-low-of, or too-high-of, a dosage for their innate level of tolerance. Either one (too high or too low) will make the opiate seem ineffectual psychologically. I know this feeling first hand from when I first started experimenting with opiates; I thought I was immune to them too at first, as the recommended recreational-doses for new, opiate-naive individuals, had ZERO perceiveable effect on opiate-naive me.

I know now I have an innately high tolerance and anything under 20mg of Hydrocodone when I first started using had no percievable effect.

On the other side, too high of a dose had the same result of making the opiate feel unrewarding / non-euphoric for me as well: I also tried 80mg of Oxycodone insuffalated when I was starting out, and if I didn't know that the nausea I felt was from an excessive dose, I would have assumed opiates didn't work either... the euphoria was completely masked by my body reacting as if it hsd been poisoned.

Everyone* has Mu opiate receptors, and because of this, everyone should be susceptible to the rewarding effects of opiates/Opioids. There's no lab-animal (veterbrates specifically) on earth, that have mu opiate receptors, which won't respond to opiates in a "place preference test", this has been proven (if one genetically alters the animals to not have opiate receptors, these opposite animals, with mu-knockouts, also prooves the hypothesis that opiates are rewarding - as when the receptors are removed, so too are the rewarding effect of opiates - and then place preference tests fail). Human's are no exception to biology/physiology, and since we have opiate receptors, we are all susceptible to opiate euphoria - albeit to varying degrees.

That being said, we all have our "Drug of Choice". Opiates paradoxically make me hyper/manic, so I am likely predisposed to favoring them more than others would.

*I am sure someone out there has a knock-out mutation like used in lab animals... but that's something so rare it's practically non-existent.

Last edited:
Honestly I’d like to know if anyone really feels euphoric from any type of drug and if they do then maybe they’re good at convincing themselves they feel good and are satisfied and to those people I say more power to you.

To me (( this could just be my opinion but it doesn’t seem to crazy knowing my shitty government )) I believe our government is and has done anything in its power to take away all forms of pleasure and will seize all the drugs and dilute them or allow drug dealers to use shitty cuts so that instead of a high we barely just get by thinking we feel “good” when really there’s no more feeling good. Just take our shitty vaccines and slowly kill yourselves because we feel we are superior and we want control and this world all to ourselves! Fuck em! They’ve fucked everything up since day one! I’m over living man I can’t wait to fucking die! Sorry but I’m done pretending like everyone else. Some of us see too much of the truth that we don’t wanna see and grow more cynical and I never imagined at 36 I would be so negative but what do you do when that’s all these fuckers do is create nothing but negativity and filth!?

I can see the allure of opiates but they seem to be quite subtle in nature when taken orally.

I do get that cozy feeling from 10mg of morphine but its very short-lived and i find side effects (constipation the main one) to just make it not really fun to take daily

I imagine banging up opiates are a totally different world though.

Would love go go there on my death bed.

Opioids has allways reminded me of mother's love, kind of return to feeling of inner 'homeness'. Later when I started using benzos and codeine as an adult I noticed the same 'home coming' and feeling of inner peace with combination of benzos and opioids (mainly alprazolam and codeine). For me it has allways been this search of inner peace, feelings of love and mental calm which I have valued so much. Partly this search for inner "Shangri la" was because of the fact that I had developed sleep problems and anxiety as an adolescence and so did in fact lost that inner peace and love that was there as a child. So if one has lost inner peace and feelings of love.. then opioids&benzos definately have potentiality to allow one to experience them again and thus be euphoric and addictive. It is like Yin aspect of psyche where ego dissolves in to love when stimulants are more like a yang aspect with their mind/ego enchanching properties. If one lacks that feminine aspect in their psyche then it seems to me opioids and benzos are the balancing agents and if yang aspect is missing then it is stimulants.

Every opiate I've ever tried ....at the hospital or given to me by a friend just made me feel nausea, sweaty and constipated.....even iv morphine at the hospital....zero pain relief.
But I have a severe inflammation disorder so I take excessive nsaid's which give me far far more relief than any opiate I've tried, demerol, morphine, oxy's or codeine....I'd trade any of those if I had them.fir a muscle relaxant and or advil honestly.

My take on it is that the warm fuzzy feelings from opiates has a shitload to do with previous psychology, rather than anything else. People with the most euphoric responses seem to be people who have some history of trauma, meaning that the reduction of anxiety or pain is what makes them euphoric. I know, because of my own personal history, I find them initially euphoric, but that wanes pretty fucking quickly (three weeks of morphine, for pain of dressing change, of septic abscess and I can't wait until I don't require it). If someone has a past of being abused etc., pushing such feelings/memories to a great distance is obviously a desirable state...

Every opiate I've ever tried ....at the hospital or given to me by a friend just made me feel nausea, sweaty and constipated.....even iv morphine at the hospital....zero pain relief.
But I have a severe inflammation disorder so I take excessive nsaid's which give me far far more relief than any opiate I've tried, demerol, morphine, oxy's or codeine....I'd trade any of those if I had them.fir a muscle relaxant and or advil honestly.
I know it has certain issues attached, but ask them for methadone for pain relief. It's a fairly decent NMDA antagonist and deals with a lot of pain most opioids don't

Just sounds like tolerance to me, the fact that you had euphoria at first.

No, it wasn't tolerance after three days, lol. I've been on these meds for almost 12 years, tolerance definitely is a thing since my dosage has been increased many times over the years as necessary, but I never get "high". I have some serious pain and it does help with that, that is all.

I did recently get my DNA tested, though, and it seems that I am missing some enzyme that works on certain opioids so maybe that's part of the reason, too.

I know it has certain issues attached, but ask them for methadone for pain relief. It's a fairly decent NMDA antagonist and deals with a lot of pain most opioids don't
Please, no. I have heard from many people that getting off methadone is worse than getting off heroin. I would never try it even though I desperately need pain relief. I won't try fentanyl, either. Too strong, deadly if a tiny mistake is made in dosage.

No, it wasn't tolerance after three days, lol. I've been on these meds for almost 12 years, tolerance definitely is a thing since my dosage has been increased many times over the years as necessary, but I never get "high". I have some serious pain and it does help with that, that is all.

I did recently get my DNA tested, though, and it seems that I am missing some enzyme that works on certain opioids so maybe that's part of the reason, too.

But in context - do you get 'high;? I took oxycodone TID - and I had to PUSH the doctor to accept TID but 30mg of oxycodone TID doesn't give a high. In fact, it's not so good at stopping pain.

What pisses me off is that methoxetamine (well done F&B) works better. F&B had a need for decent analgesia - but I admit, it has it has 'Side effects' . Not bad ones when compared to the pain, but it's killed NMDA antagonist researched a bit.

Pissed off that isophendine wasn't pushed because of commercial reasons. But I've managed pain with it for years. Fewer side-effects.

Could be though. When I was prescribed Oxy after making this post the euphoric warmness did go away after just a couple of days and I didn't want to start increasing my dose, because I prefer kratom and it was murdering my kratom tolerance. I.E making it completely ineffective. I'm sure you've probably tried kratom.

I think I had kratom long ago - but it didn't do anything. But I have no idea of it's quality.

No, oxycodone is really addictive when compared to equipotent doses of, say, methadone.

It depends also on the opiate and the person.

Personally I don't find oxy that appealing and warm. My first days with kratom (when I was opiate naive) were far more euphoric and recreational, for example.

Other people say Kratom doesn't do much for them. So it's a lottery.

Indeed - but I guess I was referring to analgesic activity. Oxycodone really isn't any better than methadone for severe pain - but very few people like the subjective effects of methadone. It's the fact that OxyContin is attempting to achieve via sustained release, the duration methadone has naturally.

Depends on the person and depends on the opiate/opioid. I kinda like opes in general but my favorite BY FAR is oxycodone.
I've known druggies who hate opes--- they'll say "just makes me itch."
Go figure.

Kratom quality is definitely dicey, but if it looks brown or more brown than green you might as well toss it. There are good and bad vendors, but even the best will have bad stuff sometimes. This is why I mostly go to a local headshop that has one specific "brand" and it's top notch every time, even if it's just a bit more pricey than buying online. But yeah I agree, kratom has always felt more natural and inviting than Oxy did. Codeine does zilch to me but I've only taken 40mg tops, but that should still be around the same potency of 5mg Oxy which had me feeling really nice. It's certainly more sustainable than a kratom high which can be reduced after you eat, while it's the opposite for Oxy. But then it can be the opposite for kratom, too. Usually eating doesn't do more than reduce the effect temporarily or it will enhance something or other.

Lots of recreational drug users dislike opiates. Probably more so than not.
This is absolutely true. Some people don't metabolise them efficiently, while others do but get the undesirable effects like nausea much more pronounced than the pleasurable ones. Which is why one of my pet hates among all the many drug myths out there is this whole notion that 'if you try heroin just once you will become an addict' AAARGH!! ... The majority of people in my experience find it less than irresistible and not worth repeating after giving it a go.
And honestly the pull of opiates happens when a person needs them most and gets them.
Oh definitely. Heck, a few times I've deliberately held off for another hour or two after scoring when in severe withdrawal, just so it would hit EVEN BETTER... xd

Depends on the person and depends on the opiate/opioid. I kinda like opes in general but my favorite BY FAR is oxycodone.
I've known druggies who hate opes--- they'll say "just makes me itch."
Go figure.

Good thing Pallfium is no longer and Diconal so rare. Yes, oxycodone IS more euphoric than many opioids, but trust me - they are as nothing to the compounds I mention. That's why I no longer use my prescribed OxyContin - it's far too dependence forming compared to the analgesia it provides.

The problem with swapping to methadone for pain is that the UK prescribed tablets - and their have been so many failures in the supply-chain.

I also do not like being tied to the whim of a doctor and the supply-chain has failed on OxyContin more than once. It's THEN that you realise that you have a problem.

Well good hash IS strong. Your body may have a capacity to quickly convert 6-MAM (the active metabolite of H) to it's 3-gluconate. I have that issue. I am scripted oxy for pain but the relief mirrors the plasma levels of oxycodone itself, not oxymorphone, the much more active metabolite responsible for producing a steady plasma level and 50% of the analgesia.

So I take a pill. 1 hour later some relief peaking at 4 hours and then crashing at the 8-9 hour mark. Then wait 3-4 hour for the next pill. It's a pain BUT my GP MAY give me OxyContin TID (I hope).
what the formulation difference? So you have the OC which were crushable and snort etc. then OP which I guess you cant do anything to unless you do some chemical reactions to get rid of the binders etc, waste of time in my opinion