• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Do some people really just not feel euphoric and warm feelings from opiates?

BourbonMac

Bluelighter
Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I read this article, livescience isn't super reliable, but I really wonder. I seem to be one who is easily prone to addiction as I'd recently been put on Oxy post sinus surgery. It made me feel so good and I've kind of craved it since I stopped, and I only took them for 10 days (5mg IR). A few of those times I felt extremely relaxed and warm and cozy. Isn't that what the drug should do to anybody? Is anybody capable of becoming addicted? The article just seems far fetched. I mean, ANYONE should be able to experience a nice opiate high, right?

I kind of felt guilty just knowing I'd enjoyed them. Drug and alcohol abuse runs rampant in my family, mostly alcohol which I had a problem with for awhile, but I've been sober for a little over 2 years now. I'm definitely addicted to cannabis but I don't mind that. And diazepam at the moment, though not exceeding 15mg usually in one day. I've never considered myself a strong addict, I've messed around with a lot of stuff, but my main addiction is cannabis, which can sometimes produce a not great high. I suppose the Oxy was similar as well, it didn't hit me nicely every time.

I'm addicted to kratom as well, so maybe the mu-opioid receptors were having a stronger response or something. My kratom use has actually been up a little because of my experience with the Oxy, I think I should not get it prescribed ever again, really. My kratom tolerance had absolutely no effect on the Oxy, it was very strong, like kratom was in the beginning (and can still produce strong effects, it's just working a lot differently and doesn't usually last as long).

So are drugs like oxy or any opiates capable of pulling anyone into addiction, and is this article a load of shit? I understand some people will have a bad reaction in the very beginning, like nausea, fatigue, but after a few days more enjoyable effects begin to pop up. I hated the oxy at first, didn't think I would even finish them. I miss that feeling, but I'm in no way going to try and get it again, and hope in some weeks my brain will forget about it and not crave that feeling. I've been under a major anxiety attack for days which is worth mentioning (thanks to prednisone) so that may have an impact on why I'd like to feel that way again. It wasn't even that strong or euphoric either, it just tickled in just the right way. Probably only 1/100th of what heroin would feel like.

I should note that I use 5-6g a day, or normally do. Now I'm closer to 8g a day which I'm not fond of. I don't like having to take 5g to feel good, I was at a point where 3g could be way too strong. But I recall when I used to take higher doses like 15g a day, I would not feel very much of it at all, but I felt the cravings to use it much more often. So perhaps my mu-opioid receptors really were just tickled by this experience, since, the less kratom I take, the less I crave it. I'm upping my doses temporarily because of my experience with the Oxy (and also because it raised my kratom tolerance some). I'm gonna mess with some black seed oil because apparently that tickles the mu-opioid receptors. I know one time I took a whole spoon (5000mg) and I felt absolutely incredible. But I had a horrible taste in my mouth for 2 days. It seemed to lower my kratom tolerance at the time. I have capsules but they are 950 per serving.

Sorry if this got a little off track.

Last edited:
Without reading the article (I may visit it if I get the chance), yes it is known that some people don't feel the euphoria and warm fuzzies of opiates. I believe it is an enzyme issue. I know for a fact that some people lack the enzyme that breaks codeine down in to morphine. I presume it would be the same deal for other opiates.

Without reading the article (I may visit it if I get the chance), yes it is known that some people don't feel the euphoria and warm fuzzies of opiates. I believe it is an enzyme issue. I know for a fact that some people lack the enzyme that breaks codeine down in to morphine. I presume it would be the same deal for other opiates.

Well, codeine is a prodrug. Morphine isn't.

That the study was on remifentanil isn't really going to predict if someone finds oxymorphone (for example) euphoric. Fentanyl derivatives are amongst the least euphoric class of opioids, remifentanil the least euphoric of the class.

Some people do suffer significant side-effects which, if severe enough, offset any euphoria.

I can confirm that some people definitely don't get any of the recreational effects from opioids, because I am one of those people. I actually made a thread about it here some time ago. Since then, I have also tried Oxycodone (in addition to the various opioids listed in that thread), and that, too, had basically zero effect for me.

I think your experience with kratom could have had some impact. From what I can tell it seems like experience and maybe also age make people more likely to enjoy opioids. I tried several different opioids over the course of several years and for a long time got literally nothing out of them, I remember I took some modestly high dosage oxycodone pill when I was like 18 and all it did was make me tired and was almost entirely imperceptible after smoking cannabis. However, over the years each opioid I took seemed slightly better and after a while I was starting to feel pretty good even off of a single hydrocodone pill. I took a 10 mg oxycodone pill in my late 20s and it was ridiculously euphoric, it was one of the only things that made my body feel as good as a euphoric psychedelic trip and I couldn't stop raving about how amazing it made me feel. So it's definitely at the very least a thing that can change over time.

I just feel itchy and nauseous from heroin though get reasonable degree of pain relief from Endone. No warm fuzzies though.

I think your experience with kratom could have had some impact. From what I can tell it seems like experience and maybe also age make people more likely to enjoy opioids. I tried several different opioids over the course of several years and for a long time got literally nothing out of them, I remember I took some modestly high dosage oxycodone pill when I was like 18 and all it did was make me tired and was almost entirely imperceptible after smoking cannabis. However, over the years each opioid I took seemed slightly better and after a while I was starting to feel pretty good even off of a single hydrocodone pill. I took a 10 mg oxycodone pill in my late 20s and it was ridiculously euphoric, it was one of the only things that made my body feel as good as a euphoric psychedelic trip and I couldn't stop raving about how amazing it made me feel. So it's definitely at the very least a thing that can change over time.
I have a similar experience with cannabis. If I'm feeling kratom hard or even when I was taking the oxy, it would basically just overpower it. THC is strong lol

I should note that I use 5-6g a day, or normally do. Now I'm closer to 8g a day which I'm not fond of. I don't like having to take 5g to feel good, I was at a point where 3g could be way too strong. But I recall when I used to take higher doses like 15g a day, I would not feel very much of it at all, but I felt the cravings to use it much more often. So perhaps my mu-opioid receptors really were just tickled by this experience, since, the less kratom I take, the less I crave it.
Yep, that happens to me

I think is natural, and not a bad thing, you just have that type of use, and kratom works like that, the more you take more you want to redose, is the fact of redosing, because your brain may think that if it didn't work with 3 doses it would work with 4 or 5 and when it works with 2, then it just works, and normally if you taper properly and you take doses far from each other, then it normally works (not always), now I'm tapering, reached seven and it's difficult for me to lower than 7, when I reach 5 is quite easy to reach 3 and then cut (for a t-break).
When having 12 or around 15 I feel more "addicted" than anything else, but when I used 6-9 I feel that's how kratom helps on this or that. I think is the nature/spirit of the plant.

Lots of recreational drug users dislike opiates. Probably more so than not. The stimulant people I knew disliked them for sort of the opposite reason as to why I disliked stimulants. I like to sleep and these MFer's like to stay awake for a few days.

And honestly the pull of opiates happens when a person needs them most and gets them. From sick to well in a dramatic simple way. Even most opiate people may have disliked their first tries. Oh but once the need is there the injections of IV heroin in someone who is fully dopesick has nothing else to compare to in life at that level of relief. Not a great place to be in life but most remember going from sick to well and nodding. The brain does not forget. I imagine something similar happens with let's say methamphetamine. Going from sluggish to zoomed?

Last edited:
For me there is a sharp difference between acute (either without tolerance or then a higher IR dosage than used to) and chronic (daily) opioid intake. The acute dosages are euphoric, warm and fuzzy while chronic dosing just gave me side effects and sedation. Same with kratom but it's a bit more forgiving. With stuff like morphine I was addicted to without even liking what it did to me. Seems like this is pretty common, I heard few people saying that they liked methadone - I did, but only with methylphenidate on top. Otherwise same, sedating and depressive crap.

I loved how low dose dissociatives would make me feel and thought that opioids must be the non-plus-ultra that I'd avoided for long time and then in some crisis turned to but they were very different.

Addiction to opioids is really unique in that it's not because one wants the opioids but instead wants to avoid withdrawal. Guess that is what's called "physical" addiction vs. psychological one.

The acute dosages are euphoric, warm and fuzzy while chronic dosing just gave me side effects and sedation. Same with kratom but it's a bit more forgiving.
And honestly the pull of opiates happens when a person needs them most and gets them. From sick to well in a dramatic simple way
Yeah, I agree with both of you.
Now I'm tapering kratom, today I took 7 grams. Never went higher than 15gpd, but normally 9-11. For me it's not euphoric at all when done daily, but you still feel "content". That contentness is not entirely positive cause it leads you to not do the things that would make you feel the dopamine hit when you finished them, in that way is like the laziness of weed, but passive, instead of an "active laziness" so to speak. You just don't feel the need to do more than the minimum. Now tapering I feel that this last dose (2 grams!! of a strong red) has hit very hard, while when taking 12gpd the last dose of the day didn't do shit... or even worse, I got in a void-like mentality without any energy and some slight sedation. It's not good, that's why I need an entire month of t-break

And yes, never tried other opioids but for kratom I think it works when you NEED it, in the sense of, if you're feeling fucked up, very tired, without proper sleep, with pain.. stressed out.. then it always (of 90%) works... If you just want the kratom high for the sake of it,... it works less and less often, I think that's the good about the plant actually, a good trait to make it self-sustainable.

I read some work on the derivatives of the phenylpiperidine opioids (e.g. pethidine & 7-OH mitragynine). Pages 346 of Opioid Analgesics - Chemistry and Receptors; I don't know what makes it quite as potent as it evidently is BUT I am reminded that the 6-OCH3 & the 2-OH of the etorphone side-chain are vital to activity (without it, the result is 1/2th the potency) and so suggest that the o-OCH3 & 7-OH interact in the same manner. Between them, they WOULD explain potency.

As for the ester functions, well I haven't seen any studies of substructures of 7-OH mitragynine that lack those ester side-chains BUT I am prepared to bet that they exhibit space-filling and nothing more.

On interesting detail is that 7-OH mitragynine comes in the form of the picrate salt. Why? Because if you use a haloacid, it will halogenate the 7-OH and if you use other strong acid, dehydration occurs.

So ANYONE who claims they used HCl to extract 7-OH mitragynine is gibbing.

I had IV morphine, fentanyl and diluaded in the hospital and oral oxycodone, hydrocodone and morphine and smoked heroin and didn't get high or warm fuzzies with any of them. I had a lot of oxycodone and pushed the dosage pretty high and got nausea but no high.

Did it help with the pain? The amounts given for analgesia tend to be small and some H is cut 'down to the paper' so in fact's it's mostly caffeine. But if it's not euphoric for you, maybe that's a good thing? I have the same with coke. I've tried every form and every ROA and I still think it's AWFUL.

I think it helped with the pain once but I also was given IV torodol (an NSAID) so I'm not sure.

I also don't like stimulants they seem to put me straight into what people describe as the crash. The heroin was 20 years ago with a rich nepalese hotel owner in Nepal, he was an addict and offered me to get high with him. I think he had good stuff, it was a white powder and he seemed to be a discerning person. Not much happened so I smoke more and still not much so I smoked some hash and couldn't believe that hash seemed more powerful a drug than the mythic H

Well good hash IS strong. Your body may have a capacity to quickly convert 6-MAM (the active metabolite of H) to it's 3-gluconate. I have that issue. I am scripted oxy for pain but the relief mirrors the plasma levels of oxycodone itself, not oxymorphone, the much more active metabolite responsible for producing a steady plasma level and 50% of the analgesia.

So I take a pill. 1 hour later some relief peaking at 4 hours and then crashing at the 8-9 hour mark. Then wait 3-4 hour for the next pill. It's a pain BUT my GP MAY give me OxyContin TID (I hope).

Is it possible to spit out your suboxone dry it and take the residual bupronorphine

Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I read this article, livescience isn't super reliable, but I really wonder. I seem to be one who is easily prone to addiction as I'd recently been put on Oxy post sinus surgery. It made me feel so good and I've kind of craved it since I stopped, and I only took them for 10 days (5mg IR). A few of those times I felt extremely relaxed and warm and cozy. Isn't that what the drug should do to anybody? Is anybody capable of becoming addicted? The article just seems far fetched. I mean, ANYONE should be able to experience a nice opiate high, right?

I kind of felt guilty just knowing I'd enjoyed them. Drug and alcohol abuse runs rampant in my family, mostly alcohol which I had a problem with for awhile, but I've been sober for a little over 2 years now. I'm definitely addicted to cannabis but I don't mind that. And diazepam at the moment, though not exceeding 15mg usually in one day. I've never considered myself a strong addict, I've messed around with a lot of stuff, but my main addiction is cannabis, which can sometimes produce a not great high. I suppose the Oxy was similar as well, it didn't hit me nicely every time.

I'm addicted to kratom as well, so maybe the mu-opioid receptors were having a stronger response or something. My kratom use has actually been up a little because of my experience with the Oxy, I think I should not get it prescribed ever again, really. My kratom tolerance had absolutely no effect on the Oxy, it was very strong, like kratom was in the beginning (and can still produce strong effects, it's just working a lot differently and doesn't usually last as long).

So are drugs like oxy or any opiates capable of pulling anyone into addiction, and is this article a load of shit? I understand some people will have a bad reaction in the very beginning, like nausea, fatigue, but after a few days more enjoyable effects begin to pop up. I hated the oxy at first, didn't think I would even finish them. I miss that feeling, but I'm in no way going to try and get it again, and hope in some weeks my brain will forget about it and not crave that feeling. I've been under a major anxiety attack for days which is worth mentioning (thanks to prednisone) so that may have an impact on why I'd like to feel that way again. It wasn't even that strong or euphoric either, it just tickled in just the right way. Probably only 1/100th of what heroin would feel like.

I should note that I use 5-6g a day, or normally do. Now I'm closer to 8g a day which I'm not fond of. I don't like having to take 5g to feel good, I was at a point where 3g could be way too strong. But I recall when I used to take higher doses like 15g a day, I would not feel very much of it at all, but I felt the cravings to use it much more often. So perhaps my mu-opioid receptors really were just tickled by this experience, since, the less kratom I take, the less I crave it. I'm upping my doses temporarily because of my experience with the Oxy (and also because it raised my kratom tolerance some). I'm gonna mess with some black seed oil because apparently that tickles the mu-opioid receptors. I know one time I took a whole spoon (5000mg) and I felt absolutely incredible. But I had a horrible taste in my mouth for 2 days. It seemed to lower my kratom tolerance at the time. I have capsules but they are 950 per serving.

Sorry if this got a little off track.
its an itching burning feeling and a loss of reality.

they hate it.

unless you have dived into being hi like we have most are scared when they feel it. and anxiety takes over ie a stimulant which works in opposition to an opiate ( a big prob in pharma)

loss of who you thought you are is no small problem as it really is what we base the world on.

find your self in a hospital chest cut open and drugs that make it so you can not say what you wish to those you love.

this is what most see in opiates as they do not get the opportunity to see the other side.

do not judge them.

and remember there will always be those that are allergic or have bad reactions to opiates so know 1 in 10 you give it to you fuck and that is with out addiction.

my numbers are probably out but you get the idea you play with fire and ....

having said that n3ophy7e is right not all have the right enzymes (though I thought that had to with the cyp enzyme and demethylation of a methylated opiate.)

Last edited:
I take prescription opioids for pain and do not take more than I need to control the pain. I do NOT get any euphoria from them. I did have a little euphoria when I first started taking them many years ago, but that only lasted a few days. After that all it did was reduce my pain (which is fine by me, that's what I need them for.) From my experience and from talking with other people with pain, if you truly have pain and don't overdo it, you don't get any "high".