View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Do shrooms not work for some people?

cyp123

Greenlighter
I have researched for hours and come across information related to psilocybin mushrooms and their possible inability to have effects. Considering the fact that psilocybin targets seratonin receptors which detect hydroxytryptamine, and that certain enzymes in the body such as CYP2D6 break down hydroxytryptamine, would that mean that shrooms dont work for people who have excessive amounts of CYP2D6 enzymes (or in other words, people who are ultra rapid metabolizers, a rare percentage of the population who get no effects from most drugs unless taken in incredibly large doses)? Does anyone experience any problems with experiencing effects from shrooms, or is anyone here an ultra rapid merabolizer who feels effects from shrooms?

Thanks for reading, any replies would be appreciated.

Are you taking mushrooms and not tripping, or is this a hypothetical? I haven't done the research of the sort you've been doing, so I have no idea about possible poor metabolizers, but I've personally never known, nor heard of anyone that felt absolutely no effect from hallucinogenic mushrooms. Not saying it can't happen, but I can't imagine it's very common.

I am also curious if you're asking in regards to your own experience ces. You haven't specified weather or not you personally have not felt effects from attempting a mushroom trip.

I've personally never heard of this enyme/metabolism theory. I however jave heard of people saying that certain medications can block the effects. Such medications include; anidepressants, antipsychotics and benzodiazapines.

I recently attended a small lecture of sorts on the therapeutic potential of psilocybin mushrooms, and in one study which was referenced, 3 out of 20 people apparently experienced no effects, either during the time that they should have been tripping or afterwards, from the same dose that the other test subjects had profound experiences from.

I can't remember the exact dosages here, or if they were mentioned - also this was with lab-synthesised psilocybin rather than actual shrooms, but the researcher basically said that they just weren't currently sure why this happened in a minority of people, but that everyone's brain chemistry just reacts a little differently, and it is also possible that some people just have a lot more innate, unconscious psychological resistance to the psychedelic effects of psilocybin (and, presumably, other tryptamines and some other hallucinogens). They did also mention that this kind of "mental resistance" may be associated with certain forms of OCD and OCD-like tendencies.

Obviously this proportion of people who were entirely unaffected seems very high in this particular study and I would think that it would be much lower in the general population, but this is perhaps explained by the fact that, firstly, it was a very small test sample size anyway, and secondly, that the test subjects were all people with some form of mental illness which might contribute to an atypical reaction... or, in this case, no reaction at all.

So, in summary, although it is rare, apparently it can happen that some people are just extremely resistant to the psychedelic effects of psilocybin.

Can't comment on the enzyme theory that you propose, I have no idea if that's a reasonable explanation or not, or if it's ever been specifically studied - my suspicion is not, but perhaps it's a reasonable hypothesis.

I have tripped with tons of people, probably more than 100 different and everyone reacted to the psychedelic. There are softheads as me that we need the smaller dose to get full effects and hard heads that are the opposite: they need more the get the same effect,but they always get the effect. No effect at all seems really strange, could be a ultra rare minority

So, I was afraid I might be the only one this had happened to. Funny thing is, I’ve tripped on shrooms plenty of times but the last time I took them, they had absolutely no effect and the time before that, even though I could feel what I recognized to be the effect of the mushrooms starting to take hold, it never really progressed from there and died off rather quick. The time that I barely felt anything, I was with 3 other people who took the same dose of the same batch of mushrooms as I did and they all tripped. This last time that I felt nothing was a little different. There were 4 of us who got 3 grams a piece. (Note: the only control factor here is that we had the same mushrooms. I’m just laying out the facts as I know them) 2 of us ate about half of the 3 gram bag and those 2 people claimed that, while it wasn’t intense, the mushrooms definitely had an effect on them. The other 2 of us ate the entire 3 gram bag pretty much all at once and neither of us felt a single thing AT ALL. The only other notable thing to add is that, from what I was told when I got them, the last 2 batches that I got (the ones that had no effect) were lab shrooms, where the last time I had a good trip, I happen to know they were field shrooms.
I’m having a pretty hard time making sense of all this spotty information here. I’m just wondering if there’s been any real research done on mushrooms that don’t effect people. The only other cases I’ve heard came from people who have never experienced a psilocybin trip at all and since I have, I can’t put myself in the same group as those people. All I can come up with is: what’s up with the differences between lab and field shrooms and their chemistry, and/or is it possible that people build a tolerance to psilocybin the same way they do with things like THC and NyQuil? Does anyone even know? And how would one even go about getting answers to those questions that aren’t just anecdotal?

So, I was afraid I might be the only one this had happened to. Funny thing is, I?ve tripped on shrooms plenty of times but the last time I took them, they had absolutely no effect and the time before that, even though I could feel what I recognized to be the effect of the mushrooms starting to take hold, it never really progressed from there and died off rather quick. The time that I barely felt anything, I was with 3 other people who took the same dose of the same batch of mushrooms as I did and they all tripped. This last time that I felt nothing was a little different. There were 4 of us who got 3 grams a piece. (Note: the only control factor here is that we had the same mushrooms. I?m just laying out the facts as I know them) 2 of us ate about half of the 3 gram bag and those 2 people claimed that, while it wasn?t intense, the mushrooms definitely had an effect on them. The other 2 of us ate the entire 3 gram bag pretty much all at once and neither of us felt a single thing AT ALL. The only other notable thing to add is that, from what I was told when I got them, the last 2 batches that I got (the ones that had no effect) were lab shrooms, where the last time I had a good trip, I happen to know they were field shrooms.
I?m having a pretty hard time making sense of all this spotty information here. I?m just wondering if there?s been any real research done on mushrooms that don?t effect people. The only other cases I?ve heard came from people who have never experienced a psilocybin trip at all and since I have, I can?t put myself in the same group as those people. All I can come up with is: what?s up with the differences between lab and field shrooms and their chemistry, and/or is it possible that people build a tolerance to psilocybin the same way they do with things like THC and NyQuil? Does anyone even know? And how would one even go about getting answers to those questions that aren?t just anecdotal?
Of course people build tolerance to mushrooms! Psychedelics are some of the worst offenders when it comes to tolerance! I thought this was common knowledge... Especially among those who have tripped plenty of times.

How far apart were your trips spaced? If you took them one day after another, or even a few days, no wonder you experienced no or very little effects....typically, if you trip two days in a row, you'd have to consume about 3x the amount you did on the first day to receive the same effects....
I know there's a psychedelic tolerance mega thread on here somewhere, but I don't have the link....has a graph and everything (based off an average of users' experiences), which I've found to be fairly accurate. I'd recommend taking a look, as well as better planning in the future....and I would very strongly advise you start researching substances before consuming them from now on.

As for finding answers to drug questions that aren't anecdotal, just use the internet lol.....there are countless excellent resources online....Erowid is usually a good starting point for people.

-PA

Last edited:
I have researched for hours and come across information related to psilocybin mushrooms and their possible inability to have effects. Considering the fact that psilocybin targets seratonin receptors which detect hydroxytryptamine, and that certain enzymes in the body such as CYP2D6 break down hydroxytryptamine, would that mean that shrooms dont work for people who have excessive amounts of CYP2D6 enzymes (or in other words, people who are ultra rapid metabolizers, a rare percentage of the population who get no effects from most drugs unless taken in incredibly large doses)? Does anyone experience any problems with experiencing effects from shrooms, or is anyone here an ultra rapid merabolizer who feels effects from shrooms?

Thanks for reading, any replies would be appreciated.
Newbie here, unable to experience any effect from mushrooms in two attempts, and certain that quantity and quality were good. On an MAOI for 30+ years, and suspect that could be the reason. From reading other comments it seems there could be other reasons. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Only person I know to barely or not get affected by shrooms has been on all sorts of cocktails of pharma drugs for bouts of depression and psychosis in previous years. I assumed it was from all of that which stopped him tripping.

Thanks, as suspected. I've only been one, but 30+ years. Id go off the MAOI but that runs counter to advice I received which dont take them if you're having a bad day, which is guaranteed if I go off thr MAOI. Oh well

Thanks, as suspected. I've only been one, but 30+ years. Id go off the MAOI but that runs counter to advice I received which dont take them if you're having a bad day, which is guaranteed if I go off thr MAOI. Oh well

I firmly believe there is a big conspiracy around such a situation. I've always found it interesting that the drugs dished out to 'fix' or 'help' with mental health are the opposite spectrum of and even block psychedelic drugs.

Like those drugs are purely designed to close ones mind, whereas psychedelics open it.

I can't say get off those drugs, I don't know your situation, but in my experience and opinion they are almost always the wrong thing to be consuming.

I firmly believe there is a big conspiracy around such a situation. I've always found it interesting that the drugs dished out to 'fix' or 'help' with mental health are the opposite spectrum of and even block psychedelic drugs.
Yeah I'm also suspicious

Yeah I'm also suspicious
Thanks for comments. Two points:
1) I agree that there has been a concerted push by Big Pharma to get half the country taking antidepressants and various other drugs that are in many cases unnecessary and whose purpose is only to imorove profits.
2) but if you believe that there is no such thing as a biochemical disorder called Major Depressive Disorder, you couldn'tbe more wrong. I was knocked out by at age 13 and was a train wreck of a human until about age 30 when Nardil literally saved my life. I've experimented going without it a few times since, but 48 hrs without it is an extremely bad experience.

Thanks for comments. Two points:
1) I agree that there has been a concerted push by Big Pharma to get half the country taking antidepressants and various other drugs that are in many cases unnecessary and whose purpose is only to imorove profits.
2) but if you believe that there is no such thing as a biochemical disorder called Major Depressive Disorder, you couldn'tbe more wrong. I was knocked out by at age 13 and was a train wreck of a human until about age 30 when Nardil literally saved my life. I've experimented going without it a few times since, but 48 hrs without it is an extremely bad experience.
This is very well stated. I have not heard of Nardil in years. It is an MAOI that is always listed in the what not to mix with foods and meds. And in this case it helped someone.

But from what we know about MAOI would that not increase the strength of the mushrooms?

This is very well stated. I have not heard of Nardil in years. It is an MAOI that is always listed in the what not to mix with foods and meds. And in this case it helped someone.

But from what we know about MAOI would that not increase the strength of the mushrooms?
Yeah, thats what I thought. The literature and my mentor told me to reduce the Nardil dose or the trip mighr be mire than I bargained for. Oh well, I've been approved for Spravato, will see how that goes.
Nice handle, though you seem more of an Augustwest type

Like those drugs are purely designed to close ones mind, whereas psychedelics open it.

I can't say get off those drugs, I don't know your situation, but in my experience and opinion they are almost always the wrong thing to be consuming.
Stopping people from being able to try some not so conventional cures or even conventional that ain't bringing pharma companies big profit isn't unexpected at all. It ain't like that only with many psychiatric medicine blocking psychedelics, it's like that with substitution therapy blocking street opiates and some other examples too.
Is blocking psychedelics evil plot beyond or simply consequence of decades where hallucinogens were considered to recreate symptoms of schizophrenia or some third thing?
But watch how over past and coming years and further decriminalization and medicinal use of psychedelics one after another pharma company jump on that train as it gets closer and closer to potentially huge profits. While there's certainly more $$$ to be made from medicine that needs to be used daily, creates addiction and causes WDs, has so many side-effects that sooner or latter medicine for fixing that needs to be added, etc, there's certainly more $$$ in selling something that needs to be taken only once every week or two, or even just a few times a year or altogether than in watching people buy it on the street or grow it or whatever...

OK, so a lot of research was done on this by people. If there’s any current experience post it here so that this post could be part of peoples research. If you do end up taking nardil and mushrooms let us know how it goes. Or let us know how any attempt goes.

They’re always people searching for combinations and dangers. I am still willing to bet that nardil will strengthen the trip.

100% there are people who can take a decent dose of magic mushrooms and not get any effects.

I've been with 2 people in the past, who weren't on any MAOI's but they had exactly the same mushrooms as myself from the same batch, picked them my self with a lot of experience in identification, so I know they were the real thing, taken at the same time as myself. I was tripping balls, and they didn't get anything.

Must be that some people are just wired up differently. One of these people, I got her to take even more, and nothing beyond a slight stoned effect. Very odd. Also this is the same person who could spoke copious amounts of cannabis and never really get stoned, just topping their levels back up to normal. Possibly endocannabinoid deficient, so medicinally topping back up to normal functional. The neurochemistry of everyone is so uniquely different and fascinating.

I remember sometime back we had a sheet of excellent acid. Half a blotter was probably 100 µg. So all experienced heads thought it was very potent as did I. We saw this one guy pop a full hit claim nothing happened. He certainly acted like nothing happened, he was on the phone with his girlfriend he didn’t act like he was tripping. I have no explanation for that. Either that one blotter did not have anything on it, or it just didn’t affect him.