• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Do opioids exacerbate Psychosis?

But i do not "suffer" from schizophrenia. I have no dellusions. I have been declared completely healthy by the last three psychiatrists I've spoken.

But i do not "suffer" from schizophrenia. I have no dellusions. I have been declared completely healthy by the last three psychiatrists I've spoken.
I mean but you still have schizophrenia and while I hope you don’t break again, it’s statistically likely that it will happen.

I only have episodes on too high doses of the wrong drugs. I know what to use and what not to touch. It will never happen if i stay sober my whole life. Same with my epilepsy.

Opiates (obviously) will help phycosis and paranoia if anything as they relax the while body including the mind. Why you think I take them

Opiates (obviously) will help phycosis and paranoia if anything as they relax the while body including the mind. Why you think I take them
Yeah but they still decrease GABA and increase dopamine in certain regions of the brain, but I guess there is something to be said about the effects of mu and delta agonism. If this is the case that morphine for instance doesn’t induce psychosis in psychotic prone individuals, then that proves that it’s not just dopamine. And somebody please give me some publications cause google is shit.

I only have episodes on too high doses of the wrong drugs. I know what to use and what not to touch. It will never happen if i stay sober my whole life. Same with my epilepsy.
Yeah THC, salvinoran, dextromethorphan, and the amphetamines are them chemicals man.

Actually I have no bad effects from those substances. THC makes me anxious though so i smoke tiny doses. salvia is boring imo, and i'm not really an amphetamine guy. Not my type of drug.

Actually I have no bad effects from those substances. THC makes me anxious though so i smoke tiny doses. salvia is boring imo, and i'm not really an amphetamine guy. Not my type of drug.
Theirs nothing a little ganja can not fix unless your a smackhead like me I would have to have a maintenance dose first them smoke a spliff

Yeah, when I have had about four lines of heroin (my usual dose) the cannabis feels so much better.

Theirs nothing a little ganja can not fix unless your a smackhead like me I would have to have a maintenance dose first them smoke a spliff
Yeah man really tiny doses. It’s funny how marijuana is commonly cited as the least harmful drug when It causes the most relative anxiety/paranoia of any hallucinogen I’ve tried (dissociatives,deliriants,and associatives).

Yeah man really tiny doses. It’s funny how marijuana is commonly cited as the least harmful drug when It causes the most relative anxiety/paranoia of any hallucinogen I’ve tried (dissociatives,deliriants,and associatives).
Its only last year I dropped my illusion of weed being harmless because it really I a gateway drug its a line you cross and once you cross it its to late I mean smoking on occasion at parties celebrations etc fine, but everyday daily is a no no just like any drug

Didn't know methadone was psychedelic, I know people sometimes say that of morphine

Wanna be calm and none paranoid like normal people? Get smack

I'm sorry I just love smack

Sorry everyone here is stuck with me until my girlfriend comes home and gives me something more interesting to do

Morphine and opium were used as what are now known as anti-psychotics up the the introduction of the phenothiazines in the 1950s. The synthetics can cause all manner of problems, with cyclazocine (and all benzomorphan opioids) and cylorphan being famous examples, and the stronger the κ opioid effects, the more likely are psychotomimetic symptoms, including fentanils and benzimidazoles because of the extreme κ opioid activation in absolute terms, whereas cyclazocine also is more of a result of the complete receptor activation profile. The less frequent but still relevant psychotomimetic side effects of dextromethorpan, levorphanol and the like appear to be a little of both.

I agree with those who say that narcotic addicts and especially medical habitués are drearily sane as both William S Burroughs and my general practitioner in the 1970s put it. There is in fact little to no overlap betwixt them and the psychonauts in the long run, and one definition of tripping is temporary, instrumental, deliberately chosen, semi-controllable, completely recoverable psychosis, which makes me think, so long as they are not harming others and subject to awful suffering, aren't some of the results of psychosis neutral or maybe even positive in some cases? For example, isn't psychosis trotted out as an explanation for Vincent van Gogh's incomparable insights? I suppose it is like the autism spectrum, even if the aetiology is in a completely different locus (neuro-endocrine?) in the respect that there are indeed some neutral or somewhat positive results in some cases, in addition to the negative results which result in a range of effects from a barely perceptible under-utilisation of talents to horrendous suffering.

Yeah, they do.

I am pretty atypical though, as for many apparently opioids are antipsychotic. For me its especially hearing voices, that I get from bupre, morphine. Not methadone, which is kinda strange. And NMDA antags potentiate that, yet don't trigger on their own (minus DXM), strange again.
But esp. with morphine it can be heavily disturbing as the Docs don't know or believe, and antipsychotics don't help at All here, some are strongly exacrebating (risperidone is bad. Aripiprazole less but still bad. Olanzapine maybe just knocks me out too strongly but reliefs DXM psychosis)

It's not true psychosis tho, things come and go with dose, and tolerance. But fear that the brain learns.

. I only have episodes on too high doses of the wrong drugs. I know what to use and what not to touch. It will never happen if i stay sober my whole life.
Same here. Didnt tell for long, until I was sure that it's drug related and only drug related but still got diagnosed with paranoid schizo and should take antipsychs for life, which make me depressed and lethargic, not to speak of long term effects. Fuck that.

Not unless it's relatively selective for the kappa opiod subtype, like salvinorum a.
This I was wondering too. Morphine has a weak affinity to KOR afaik, so it might fit with that the hallucinations are most pronounced when taking a high dose and fade away with tolerance. But I had strong auditoral ones from just 2mg bupe while nodding (w/o tolerance) and this was the first time ever I had any voices. And it's an antagonist at KOR.. 🤔