View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

DMT isn't a drug, it's a religious experience

Rupert D

Greenlighter
I'm a poly addict of 20 years, now moving towards recovery. I've taken many, many different substances and have a soft spot for psychedelics but I'm by no means a connoisseur.

Anyway, I've posted about DMT before as I only tried it this year. I say try; I've smoked it at least a 100 times this year: low doses, medium doses and high doses. I broke trough around 30% of the time and the other times were equally as blissful.

I know this pisses some people off, but I also have tried smoking it on other substances including opium and MDMA plus other bits and pieces. Sometimes I went for weeks, maybe a couple of months without touching it, and then I'd binge on it. My last binge was twenty plus times in one sitting, the dose decreasing, but still tripping out if not totally breaking through.

No need for lectures. I'm an addict and I know I've disrespected this substances although what it has done to me has been intense beyond words. I won't go into the subjective stuff, but I will say that I went from nihilist/ atheist to finding something very close to what I had always been searching for--a sense of The Universal if you will. I have now seen what I needed to see and it's put me on the path to recovery.

None of the drugs I had taken in the past even prepared me for smoking DMT. I can safely say that these 100 or so experiences also created a narrative for me which has blown me apart as I wrestle with the concept of a higher power that is consistent with my core beliefs and what I'd always been searching for with substances.

When I've talked about DMT to my user/ recovery friends who aven't used it, I always tell them it's not a drug, it's a religious experience. This is how I feel about it. DMT is something else. One day I hope to be able to write about it when I'm a long time clean and there's minimal risk of a relapse.

Cheers.

I have only been able to try DMT twice(both times in the same evening). I never quite did get to break through, but it did feel VERY spiritual to me for some reason...I'm not really a spiritual person. I'd love to go deeper to see whats in there! I'm hoping to either get some from a friend here soon or try an extraction.

I have only been able to try DMT twice(both times in the same evening). I never quite did get to break through, but it did feel VERY spiritual to me for some reason...I'm not really a spiritual person. I'd love to go deeper to see whats in there! I'm hoping to either get some from a friend here soon or try an extraction.

Good luck with breaking through, you'll get there eventually. I smoked with a mate once who didn't break through while I was thoroughly there.

It really is profound; I've never got close to anything like it and, in many ways, it was always what I was searching for with drugs. My core beliefs were shattered in a heartbeat, but in the best possible way.

What has blown me away is just how removed it is from everything else I've taken over the years. All the acid, 2CB, mushrooms, K-holes, MDA were blown away in comparison. It's hyper reality and it's always profoundly life changing. Let me know when you get what you need from it.

After numerous times breaking through and having many such profound experiences as you describe, (got me over my then MPA addiction and the suicide of my best friend) my worried Elf told me that on my last trip I shouldn't return to his word and I was damaging everything I'd been shown by being so reckless with such a unique substance, I listened and that was almost 2 years ago, i feel as enlightened if you will as i did after my last trip.
If you truly believe that it is a religious experience (and I agree) make sure you learn from your trips.

Hyper space is pretty sweet mind you, I wish to see the cosmos again.

I've never had anything close to a religious experience from the hundreds of times I've smoked DMT, so it's probably not best projecting your singular experience onto everyone else. Sure, I understand having a religious experience on it, but saying that it IS as religious experience and not a drug seems a bit off to me.

^ I like your user name :)

It always saddens me when people claim "this is not a drug" to make it appear more legitimate, as if it can't be both a drug and a medicine/sacrament at the same time. The underlying narrative of "drugs are bad, hmkay?" needs to be challenged, then it's no longer a contradiction.

DMT has arguably saved my life. Similar to you I was about as lost as it could get at one point and I attribute a lot of what I have now to DMT amongst other medicines.

While I understand how you try to describe it to your recovery friends, just know there is nothing you can tell them that will describe it until they try it. They'll likely just view you as someone trying to use, which you kinda are by your frequency.

Just know DMT won't take the abuse forever and when it snaps it's wrath is like nothing you've ever experienced. Read some of the horror stories on the Nexus of daily users and the repercussions of their actions. I myself have been lightly spanked on a few occasions and it's rough.

DMT can be the most loving beautiful experience but always come in with respect.

Also don't listen to those holier than thou types that talk like DMT should never be mixed. While I feel DMT doesn't mix well with some substances, others it absolutely loves. Mescaline and DMT go hand in hand.

-GC

When I've talked about DMT to my user/ recovery friends who aven't used it, I always tell them it's not a drug, it's a religious experience. This is how I feel about it. DMT is something else. One day I hope to be able to write about it when I'm a long time clean and there's minimal risk of a relaps.

Personally I've never done DMT yet, it's hard to get here but also I am afraid of it's power.. just mushrooms, truffles and a tiny handful of synth tryptamines I know of and even a good part out of them weren't exactly drugs* but more mystical agents as were my beloved dissociatives, a ticket into an outworldish spacey experience.. but people always say nothing can prepare one for DMT so I suspect it to be still an equally big but very different beast ...

tokezu said:
It always saddens me when people claim "this is not a drug" to make it appear more legitimate, as if it can't be both a drug and a medicine/sacrament at the same time. The underlying narrative of "drugs are bad, hmkay?" needs to be challenged, then it's no longer a contradiction.
That's true too, mmmmmh.... for now, I've thought of "drugs" as "narcotics", things that mess with your ability to feel / receive input / process etc.. vs. e.g. others on which one might be more wide awake (not just feeling faster that is!) than while sober..

DMT can be the most loving beautiful experience but always come in with respect.

Also don't listen to those holier than thou types that talk like DMT should never be mixed. While I feel DMT doesn't mix well with some substances, others it absolutely loves. Mescaline and DMT go hand in hand.
And this. Reminds me much of what I've experienced on O-PCM though... :\:)

Quite. I agree with tokezu. And as for all that holier than thou bollocks, it's just snobbery, like people who whine about how much ice you have in your cocktail. If they don't like it, they don't need to do it in such a way. If they want to shove that down someone else's throat, then fuck them.

Right in the ass.

Diagonally.

With a chair.

Well religion is like a drug (opium for the people right) and is actually known to be similarly addictive. Although I am not saying that DMT is addictive. Psychedelics are of course psychoactive drugs, but they are not narcotics like pretty much most other drugs are I think.
Psychedelics make me face reality (even though its warped in a trip), narcotics help me escape it. That is not to say psychedelics can't be abused for escape if so inclined.

Last edited:
Ugggh, yes. Religion. Disgustingly addictive. And damn dangerous stuff, the number of deaths religion has caused, I should imagine it makes the entire sum total of drug caused deaths (including tobacco and alcohol) pale into insignificance in comparison.

DMT is definitely not really an escapist sort of thing, although somewhat oddly, given the AMAZING afterglow. That actually does remind me a lot of opioids. Only, what opioids want to be, but never made the grade, to a DMT afterglow.

As for the 'not a drug, it's a religious experience' BOLLOCKS. Utter and total bollocks. Not to say it cannot be a religiose-esque TYPE of experience for the religion-addiction-prone genotypes/phenotypes among us all. But it is a psychoactive drug, stop trying to separate it out from the rest, it's just buying into the false narrative that 'all drugs are bad, and those who possess/use/distribute/synthesize them are evil and ought to be punished', promulgated by government vermin. Just in a very subtly invasive, perverse way.

DMT is definitely not really an escapist sort of thing, although somewhat oddly, given the AMAZING afterglow. That actually does remind me a lot of opioids. Only, what opioids want to be, but never made the grade, to a DMT afterglow.
Hella reminds me a lot of my O-PCM / MXE experiences. Makes you face reality -much deeper so than while sober- covered into a trip, it's possible to abuse it with some implications, and when used correctly it's great during and great afterwards (afterglow) ... some day I just have to do pure DMT. Think if anything then my extreme disso habit might have prepared myself a bit for it... well just if there wasn't the anxiety I get usually from anything messing too much with 5-HT2a, just being on a low/medium NMDA antag dose the same time made me capable of sampling some synth tryptamines with success / no anxiety..

Ugggh, yes. Religion. Disgustingly addictive. And damn dangerous stuff, the number of deaths religion has caused, I should imagine it makes the entire sum total of drug caused deaths (including tobacco and alcohol) pale into insignificance in comparison.
Word. This

it's just buying into the false narrative that 'all drugs are bad, and those who possess/use/distribute/synthesize them are evil and ought to be punished', promulgated by government vermin. Just in a very subtly invasive, perverse way.
and this

^ I like your user name :)

This, I've had this conversation many times over; while the experience is amazing, beautiful, and so foreign that we can perceive it as an almost enlightened state of mind, it's important to remember we're all just under the influence :) not to say one cannot have a religious experience, but the experience is just what the individual makes it to be

I've smoked DMT 4 times. I have question for you about the 2nd and 3rd times since you seem to haev a lot of experience with DMT.

The first time I was at my own home, smoking with a traveling shaman (didnt know the guy before that night, but I had a good feeling about him). Broke through so fucking hard. Traveled outside my body, into outer space, looked into the void, turned away from the void to face the earth and saw everything at once.

The second time (about 6 years later) I was at a FWB house and not in a very good mental place. I didnt really like her that much and wasn't comfortable at her house. Anyways she said she had some DMT so we loaded it up in a glass pipe on top of a bowl of weed. this time the trip was ABSOLUTELY terrible. First I had this terrible weird feeling where nothing made sense. I felt minor color distortions but I definitely didnt blast off, just felt weird as fuck. Then I went into the kitchen, turned on the faucet, and started to drink water until I sobered up. Weirrrdddd fucking trip.

About 1 hour later I tried to dose again, thinking that I just needed to let go. I got even less high but it wasn't as weird and bad as the first time. Still was kind of traumatic though. IMO this was because of smoking it on weed, and not properly vaporizing it.

Maybe 4 months later I was at a friends house and he had DMT. I was pretty comfortable here but still a bit scared about DMT because of my past 2 bad experiences. I still remembered my best trip (first one) so I was willing to try it again. I took the hit and had like a very small closed eye visual of white bliss/love, but then the other 10-15 minutes was just open eyed hallucinations (my friend was meditating and he turned into a cartoon monk, the trees turned into stained glass pictures that were moving. pretty epic).

So my question is what the fuck happened on the 2nd and 3rd tries. Was the hellish trip because of smoking it on the weed? Was it because I wasn't comfortable or in a good mood when I blasted off?

I figured that as soon as I smoked it I would just become happy or serene, I didnt think my intial mood made a difference.

^^^ Those bad experiences were likely related to your setting at the time. DMT like any other psychedelic is highly reliant on set and setting.

-GC

For me even not clearing my mind of the humdrum thoughts and just stuff one is hung up on at the moment can usually lead to chaotic trips.

The most positive (not the most awesome tho) trips I've had were after meditating to clear my mind before blasting off. I can't imagine what it's like in a bad setting or much worse mindset than what i was talking about.

I think mindset is more important (although of course indirectly influenced by the setting) with breakthrough trips whether on K, salvia or DMT... because if you lose contact with your surroundings it doesn't always matter that much what they are. However in some cases you seemingly lose contact with your surroundings but your hallucinations can still be influenced by them in ways impossible for you to follow.

For me even not clearing my mind of the humdrum thoughts and just stuff one is hung up on at the moment can usually lead to chaotic trips.

The most positive (not the most awesome tho) trips I've had were after meditating to clear my mind before blasting off. I can't imagine what it's like in a bad setting or much worse mindset than what i was talking about.

I think mindset is more important (although of course indirectly influenced by the setting) with breakthrough trips whether on K, salvia or DMT... because if you lose contact with your surroundings it doesn't always matter that much what they are. However in some cases you seemingly lose contact with your surroundings but your hallucinations can still be influenced by them in ways impossible for you to follow.

Thanks GC. I almost forgot how important set and setting were, I was so sure it was the weed but yeah looking back I basically had every red flag from my inner self to not blast off or lose control. I was in a relatively new setting with a person I didn't trust. I deserved that hell trip, haha, taught me a valuable lesson.

Since then I've actually learned how to make a good set and setting. It's a god damn tragedy that it took me so long.

I traumatized myself pretty badly when I did salvia haha. I learned a lot but it was so brutal, I felt like odin trading an eye for knowledge.

Ketamine seems to be very compatible with me because I always have a good trip on it. Sometimes it gets so freaking weird but I just love it anyways. It's always just weird, never scary haha. Even when I feel like I'm lost in infinity and can never get back out, it's more of like a "wow this is wild" not a "IM TRAPPED!" kind of thing.

DMT I definitely need more practice with but I'm not ready for it yet. I'll know when I am and look forward to that day. Might be a few years though.

@lionheart- Funny that I'm the complete opposite, Ketamine scares the shit outta me anytime I try to go anywhere past the body buzz stage haha. I can't reason with it either, it seems to trigger this natural fear response.

DMT can be so set/setting dependent, I can relate to your experiences too. I've had some more negative experiences when I was around someone I wasn't particularly fond of at that moment. Just their presence was bothersome. I had one trip go rough just cuz my partner turned on a light...

The best set and setting I've found for those powerful blast you off kinda compounds is dark or low lighting, music or a light hum of a fan, and no movement or excitement. Anything beyond that and it can completely mess up the experience. I always get this impression that my distraction is an insult to the presence before me, whether that's true or not idk.

And Salvia is Salvia haha, only had one experience on that shit and probably my last. Scariest trip of my life where I at one point was viewing my own body convulsing on the bed (flopping so hard I was getting air) in 3rd person from the top corner of the room. I had my hands stuck in "C" shapes for about 10min afterwards, never again lol.

-GC

it's probably not best projecting your singular experience onto everyone else.

Whatever, brother. Clearly I'm saying that, for me, it was like a religious experience. I'm not here to tell others that their experiences are to be described as the same.