• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Disrepectful Treatment at Pharmacy - Should I Take Action?

rikerliker707

Bluelighter
Yesterday I was at an independent chemist in north west England where I am known to the regular staff. I went in and asked one of the assistants if I could speak to the pharmacist and a bespectacled Black man came out the back (the usual one is of Chinese descent and does not wear glasses, so this was either a locum or a new employee.)

He asked me what I was after, I said I was thinking about it and he responded out of the blue, "Co-codamol? Sleeping pills? Painkillers? Methadone?" 8( It was bad enough he'd just rattled off a roll call of 'abused medications' without suggesting that I was somehow expecting him to supply me with methadone when I'd not presented a prescription. So I asked him "What are you talking about?" to which he answered, "Because they're what drug addicts look for. And the only person who goes to a pharmacy and doesn't know what they want is a drug addict." :eek: :X

I was astonished he had 'gone there' so explicitly- some pharmacists will flash suspicious looks at you or ask questions that imply they believe you're a recreational drug user (even as they sell what you've asked for) but never has one burst out with comments like that.

I sat on one of the chairs provided for customers, then told him a few minutes later I'd remembered what I wanted only for him to pipe up again: "Let me guess! Kaolin and Morphine? Codeine? Flunitrazepam? -also known as Rohypnol? This compounded my surprise and anger as I said "You mean that pill known as the date rape drug?" To which he nodded and said "Yes, exactly."
I then informed him that I wouldn't bother telling him what I wanted, because I wasn't going to buy anything after being spoken to like that, and walked out.

I have had the odd problem with pharmacy staff before, from being accused of threatening staff and wanting to steal because I peered under the counter (when I was looking if they had any Gee's Linctus down there, knowing that was where it was kept) to getting ordered out for challenging the lie that Cyclizine is a 'prescription-only medicine'. But never like this.

Apart from the unprofessional disrespect shown to me, I worry about how others may be affected by a pharmacist willing to rush to judgment so vocally. This time he was speaking to an actual experienced hard core aficionado of psychoactive medications... but what if I
a) had a cough/cold with sinus pain and was deciding whether to get a combination product (e.g. Day/Night Nurse) or cheaper decongestant, paracetamol and cough mixture separately
b) was caring for a bedbound elderly relative who had asked me to pick up some eye drops which I'd forgot the name of
c) had been sent in by an embarrassed friend to buy Clamelle (azithromycin for chlamydia) and was myself embarrassed asking while his two female assistants hovered staring at me
d) suffered from a head injury or medical condition that caused intermittent short term memory loss
That's just four I can think of out of dozens or hundreds of reasons why a person might tell a pharmacist they're not sure/can't remember what they want. To assume addiction is the reason and effectively label the patient a drug addict would be extremely insulting to people in such a situation. (Yes, much of that is due to the stigma surrounding 'unapproved' drug use, and one day it may not be such a sharp insult to be called that, but the present reality only makes it more important to avoid this kind of assertion, especially based on 'evidence' that doesn't hold up.)

Is it worth me raising the issue with the regular pharmacist (and, I believe, shop owner) next time I encounter him; responding to the pharmacist concerned by letter or e-mail demanding an apology; encouraging locals to boycott the store; making a formal complaint to the GPhC- or some other (lawful and reasonable) action? I'd like to know what a cross-section of my experiential community broader than those I know in real life thinks, hence posting on here.

respect always
RL

Definitely make a complaint but go about it in the right way.

http://www.pharmacyregulation.org/raising-concerns

Your complaint falls under serious unprofessional or inappropriate behaviour.

Go back to the pharmacy and ask to speak to the owner. Outline your complaint as you have here, particularly your a-d points. Tell the owner you are thinking of taking this further to the regulatory body. Don't even think of organising a boycott. Keep goodwill on your side. I think the GPhC is the route to take after informing the shop owner. Tell them you have written a letter and will send it instigating an investigation if no appropriate apology, preferably in writing, is forthcoming.

Good luck. You met a cunt.

Yesterday I was at an independent chemist in north west England where I am known to the regular staff. I went in and asked one of the assistants if I could speak to the pharmacist and a bespectacled Black man came out the back (the usual one is of Chinese descent and does not wear glasses, so this was either a locum or a new employee.)

He asked me what I was after, I said I was thinking about it and he responded out of the blue, "Co-codamol? Sleeping pills? Painkillers? Methadone?" 8( It was bad enough he'd just rattled off a roll call of 'abused medications' without suggesting that I was somehow expecting him to supply me with methadone when I'd not presented a prescription. So I asked him "What are you talking about?" to which he answered, "Because they're what drug addicts look for. And the only person who goes to a pharmacy and doesn't know what they want is a drug addict." :eek: :X

I was astonished he had 'gone there' so explicitly- some pharmacists will flash suspicious looks at you or ask questions that imply they believe you're a recreational drug user (even as they sell what you've asked for) but never has one burst out with comments like that.

I sat on one of the chairs provided for customers, then told him a few minutes later I'd remembered what I wanted only for him to pipe up again: "Let me guess! Kaolin and Morphine? Codeine? Flunitrazepam? -also known as Rohypnol? This compounded my surprise and anger as I said "You mean that pill known as the date rape drug?" To which he nodded and said "Yes, exactly."
I then informed him that I wouldn't bother telling him what I wanted, because I wasn't going to buy anything after being spoken to like that, and walked out.

I have had the odd problem with pharmacy staff before, from being accused of threatening staff and wanting to steal because I peered under the counter (when I was looking if they had any Gee's Linctus down there, knowing that was where it was kept) to getting ordered out for challenging the lie that Cyclizine is a 'prescription-only medicine'. But never like this.

Apart from the unprofessional disrespect shown to me, I worry about how others may be affected by a pharmacist willing to rush to judgment so vocally. This time he was speaking to an actual experienced hard core aficionado of psychoactive medications... but what if I
a) had a cough/cold with sinus pain and was deciding whether to get a combination product (e.g. Day/Night Nurse) or cheaper decongestant, paracetamol and cough mixture separately
b) was caring for a bedbound elderly relative who had asked me to pick up some eye drops which I'd forgot the name of
c) had been sent in by an embarrassed friend to buy Clamelle (azithromycin for chlamydia) and was myself embarrassed asking while his two female assistants hovered staring at me
d) suffered from a head injury or medical condition that caused intermittent short term memory loss
That's just four I can think of out of dozens or hundreds of reasons why a person might tell a pharmacist they're not sure/can't remember what they want. To assume addiction is the reason and effectively label the patient a drug addict would be extremely insulting to people in such a situation. (Yes, much of that is due to the stigma surrounding 'unapproved' drug use, and one day it may not be such a sharp insult to be called that, but the present reality only makes it more important to avoid this kind of assertion, especially based on 'evidence' that doesn't hold up.)

Is it worth me raising the issue with the regular pharmacist (and, I believe, shop owner) next time I encounter him; responding to the pharmacist concerned by letter or e-mail demanding an apology; encouraging locals to boycott the store; making a formal complaint to the GPhC- or some other (lawful and reasonable) action? I'd like to know what a cross-section of my experiential community broader than those I know in real life thinks, hence posting on here.

respect always
RL

Firstly, cyclizine IS prescription only. Secondly, report the cunt to whoever you can - he was totally out of order and he needs to be made aware of that. IME, regular pharmacists are usually fine, especially when they get to know you, but locums can be right cocky fuckers.

respect always
RL

What was it you were after though? You never said :\

I'd say it's a fairly irrelevant point under the circumstances.

Something he'd forgotten the name of. You're both just being nosey.

I'd say it's a fairly irrelevant point under the circumstances.

Something he'd forgotten the name of. You're both just being nosey.

Nosey maybe, but the point could be relevant if he really was looking for shit to get off his tits on...

The pharmacist couldn't have realistically known at that point though, so it is pretty much irrelevant. That is the way he behaved simply from a customer saying they forgot what they were after, he's obviously a total arsehole.

Yeah even if he was looking to get wrecked, they can't know that so theres every chance theyve just treat a paying customer like a proper cunt. I'd be filled with righteous anger, not sure I could be arsed with complaints procedure but would of went mental in the place

Just pointing out that there's always two sides to every story, and we've only been told one. But like I said, it sounds like the OP has every right to complain.

Oh definetly, but I think this one of the situations where cunt was being a cunt, and brilliantly he exposed himself to difficulties for being such a cunt

Firstly, cyclizine IS prescription only.

The latest BNF begs to differ. Note branded Valoid ampoules are marked 'PoM' (this is automatically true of all medicines intended for use by injection, which is why it was illegal for harm reduction services to supply amps of pure water for injectors of street drugs until a patient group direction was issued)
But the tablets listed as 'cyclizine (non-proprietary)' and costing (net price) £10.85 per 100 tab pack do not have a PoM symbol next to them. They are still in the P [pharmacy only] category. This recently taken photo of a pack has the 'P' symbol visible:
Cyclizine-50mg-100-Tablets-front.png

I am not posting URLs because of sourcing rules but a quick search for 'cyclizine 50mg buy' will show up a number of licensed UK online pharmacies which would not sell any PoM without a prescription as offering 100-packs of the tablets (no longer branded Valoid.)

I'm unsure about your first claim, but your second claim is wrong I know a variety of pharmacies that will happily sell you Lyrica despite that being prohibited without a prescription.

Devil's advocate: Whether or not you were fucked and/or intending to acquire a grey area substance is imperative to a balanced perspective on this.

Bluelighters are generally understanding of this kind of stuff, due to personal experience, but a pharmacy assistant is going to have a completely different take on the situation because they have to deal with people (not necessarily you), but people coming in fucked and/or trying to play them for opiates/benzos etc.

He may have acted like a cunt; imo the best way to deal with that would have been to call him out on that as it happened. People will often be silenced, and reconsider their view/sometimes offer an apology. Sometimes people are just having a shitty day and engaging them will release some of that tension and cause them to reassess.

Instead you "sat on one of the chairs provided for customers, then told him a few minutes later you'd remembered what you wanted", which in case you have some kind of cognitive dysfunction, indicates that you were pretty mashed, which could easily get a pharmacists back up.

With all due respect, and again I'm just providing perspective and not trying to grief you, but you have a previous history of:

• Trying to score Cyclizine (presumably to potentiate opiates)
  • Trying to score an opium based cough tincture
  • Being thrown out/accused of threatening staff (perspective, again)

Yes it's not ideal that the situation occurred, and anyone here would display a greater degree of empathy and understanding, but we've seen the world through a different lens to your average person and/or pharmacy assistant.

My GP's wife quit working as a GP back in the 90's due to the stress of dealing with an influx of opiate/benzo addicts.

People working for the man still be the people.

/Devil's advocate

I understand your point, but in that case the pharmacist should have no issues explaining his conduct to whatever board governs him? If hes confident that his approach was the right one, which he should be when your dealing with customers, then there should be very little problem.

I understand your point, but in that case the pharmacist should have no issues explaining his conduct to whatever board governs him? If hes confident that his approach was the right one, which he should be when your dealing with customers, then there should be very little problem.
Haha I'm re-reading OP's original post, "getting ordered out for challenging the lie that Cyclizine is a 'prescription-only medicine'", the idea that some junkie is challenging Big Pharma's (small independent shop) cyclizine conspiracy made me giggle. Seeing your a regular there and have had issues before is making me slightly wary about my enthusiastic backing before, I think its pretty clear they've cottoned on to you and If I was a pharmacist there I might of been a bit of a cunt to you, given the risk they would be taking in suppyling you with grey area substances. The point that would of enraged me in person however, was the Rohypnol accusation, however I'm not sure you did much for your cause by immedietly recognizing that Rohypnol was flunitrazepam hahaha

Reaver- conspiracy! aha nope, just that there are basically three ways in which pharmacists deal with items like cyclizine and certain cough syrups:
1) sell them, of course provided you're not going in too often to be using it as directed/ a known addict/ underage/ rude to staff (etc)- except the odd few who'll overlook this.
2) straightforwardly refuse to sell them without a prescription on the grounds they are abusable, either across the board or with limited exceptions (e.g. some may sell them only to a few local people they know personally, or people who have been prescribed them on the NHS in the past)
3) dishonestly refuse by claiming a P medicine is actually PoM, that "they don't make it any more", that "we've got none in stock" when it's under the counter or in the dispensary, that their stock is "out of date" when it isn't, etc.

While I obviously prefer 1), I respect the professional discretion shown by 2). It is 3) as in my example involving cyclizine which I have a problem with. Some people (non-users) have tried to justify it by saying that customers may get aggressive or even violent if they are simply told "no". I find this a completely unsatisfactory excuse because hardcore users are most likely of anyone (except other health professionals) to know they are lying. Then if the person is desperate for the item in question, they've even more perceived reason to get nasty because they've been denied it and lied to.

Looking at it the other way it also penalizes the non-recreational user. If a middle-aged man who's been relying on codeine linctus when their cough gets really bad for 30 or 40 years goes to a different pharmacy to their normal one and is told "I'm afraid that's prescription only now, you can have Pholcodine instead or go to your doctor" then he'll likely take what he heard from a socially respected professional at face value and believe he does only have those two options. If pholcodine doesn't work as well (or at all) for him and securing a GP appointment is as hard as it can be sometimes, he may be stuck with a nasty cough for a week longer than necessary. While if an opioid user gets told that, they'll know they can always try the next chemist, and the next and so on until they find one to sell it.

So if the aim of pharmacists is to allow people who meet the clinical indications to access medicines while preventing diversion to recreational use, the lying strategy is an own goal there.

By the way, and this is important, I have NOT "had issues before" in this pharmacy: the incidents with Gee's Linctus (which I didn't want to buy btw- have never used it, was looking for someone else who would have then gone in for themselves) and cyclizine happened in completely different chemists (to each other and the one I described my experience this week in) several years ago. And the mention of "threatening" was entirely because I leant on the counter to have a quick look at the shelf underneath, with my hands clasped together behind my back which I hoped made it clear I wasn't trying to grab anything or hurt anyone.

In my frazzled brain atm, I would have gone about this the wrong way and said:
"No... wait! I remember now: it was to be sold crack by an absolute fuckin cuntface :X "
... And stormed out.
But you should ABSOLUTELY make a complaint, because that is a disgusting attitude to be given when swearing an oath to providing care and sound information to ANYONE who comes needing assistance (I'm fairly sure pharmacists have to swear to an oath of some form as Dr's do).

Cyclizine and Pregabalin are actually PoM's but there are accounts and a Panorama documentary of some Pharmacies selling anything from Valerian to Benzos to Morphine and beyond, for monetary benefits! :eek:

Regardless - Make a detailed complaint in the brilliantly suggested manners prior posters have mentioned and I hope it ends up with that twatus spyncti's dismissal :)

Cyclizine and Pregabalin are actually PoM's but there are accounts and a Panorama documentary of some Pharmacies selling anything from Valerian to Benzos to Morphine and beyond, for monetary benefits! :eek:

Pregabalin certainly is. Cyclizine is not, unless in ampoule form- see up thread for my link to the official BNF website for proof.
Yes, I saw that programme about the London chemists- an offer of 500ml Oramorph for £200? I've paid far less buying it from people in actual chronic pain who rely on our ever-precarious welfare system for their survival needs- for someone on a pharmacist's salary to charge that is reprehensible profiteering.

Also Reaver- I'm interested in your saying my "second claim is wrong" because pregabalin is sometimes sold OTC. Firstly, I was speaking about specific UK registered internet pharmacies which I know for a fact only sell medicines classified P or GSL [general sales list e.g. packs of 16 paracetamol that can be sold virtually anywhere]- and which do sell Cyclizine tablets. I would link to them if not for the sourcing rules. I was not claiming that no pharmacy would break UK law in this way.

Secondly, are you saying there are bricks-and-mortar pharmacies in your part of the country where you can walk into the shop and get Lyrica without prescription, as with those Edgware Road ones on Panorama? Or are you talking about websites like those I mentioned? In the latter case, they are almost certainly either unregistered ones or offering an 'online doctor' service.