• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dipping my toes in Nitrous.

Inhaling into a ballon will cause carbon dioxide to build up which will give a different buzz. Recycling air in a balloon will decrease oxygen and increase levels of CO2 leading to a condition called hypercapnia. The buzz is intense but more like passing out. I prefer the opposite strategy. Hyperoxygenate before hand then hold nitrous in. 2 minutes or more of deep belly breathing before inhaling the nitrous allows you to be nicely oxygenated. Release the exhale like a sigh, very relaxed (as opposed to pushing the breath out). No pauses between inhale and exhale. You stay very conscious when the nitrous hits you and can hold it in longer.

3) ultra pure whip is the best IMO. Virtually no residue. Nice clean taste.

Most of your advice is solid, but I strongly disagree with this. I have personal experience with both Ultra Pure Whip and ISI, and ISI is *much* cleaner, while Ultra Pure left my breath smelling like gasoline for hours. But don't take my word for it; check out Erowid's article:

Erowid said:
Erowid testing shows that Pure Whip, like all other brands we've tested, leaves an oily black residue, black chips of an unknown substance, and tiny metal shards in the gas that comes out of the chargers.

Erowid said:
ISI Brand whippets are considered the best quality nitrous for both making whipcream and for recreational use. Many consider them the only acceptable brand for inhaling.

Check out the balloon in the picture above. The "punching bag" balloons are the best ones, or else thick, durable balloons they sell at the grocery store in the floral section to fill with helium. Regular, cheap balloons may very well break.

Yep, once I got turned on to punching balloons, I never looked back. :) These are perfect.

Personally, I recommend breathing a bit of air through your nose as you inhale from the balloon. Firstly, it's an extra precaution against hypoxia, but additionally, I've heard that when nitrous is mixed with oxygen, your lungs absorb it better, and I can attest to this; I feel that nitrous hits me harder when I use the nose-breathing technique. I also prefer not to hold it in for more than a couple seconds before exhaling, and find it perfectly effective this way.

Last edited:
That's odd applecore, I've never tried ISI, but I tried 5 different brands before settling on ultra pure whip. I chose it precisely because it left very little residue in my whip cream dispenser. You can see the residue by monitoring the amount of tar that accumulates in the dispenser over time. Popular brands like Whip it left a black film over time at a much faster rate. As for the taste, I didn't notice the gasoline taste, that's something that would bother me. I did notice it with the cheaper brands. Left an unpleasant aftertaste. I like the taste of nitrous when it's pure and ultra pure whip had a good taste to me.. That said, glad there are better brands. If I wasn't on drug sebatical I'd try it and let you know what I think.

Edit: here's a thread discussing the best brands of nitrous

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/archive/index.php/t-310054.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Smoking changa and doing nitrous is the best ever.
So nice to be able to get so messed up for awhile and then go back to doing regular stuff.

Too bad nitrous makes dmt addictive :p
Gotta get some b12 hehe

I think the cartridges are crap. I have done nitrous for many years and we always had tanks of medical grade N2O. That kind is food grade and is really just robbing you of oxygen with very little of the contents of what you get at the dentist. We have had food grade also, it's an imperfect world, and I have watched people flop around like a fish out of water more than I can count. I have seen people split their heads open bust out their teeth falling to the ground and would never describe the experience as psychedelic. Laughing gas yes, psychedelic no. I have seen mild mannered people turn into monsters it's called hippie crack for a reason. One is never enough and after too many you loose yourself and become obsessed trying to find that buzz that will never come back. Just my opinion and I will do it again, just sharing some facts for you.

That's odd applecore, I've never tried ISI, but I tried 5 different brands before settling on ultra pure whip. I chose it precisely because it left very little residue in my whip cream dispenser. You can see the residue by monitoring the amount of tar that accumulates in the dispenser over time. Popular brands like Whip it left a black film over time at a much faster rate. As for the taste, I didn't notice the gasoline taste, that's something that would bother me. I did notice it with the cheaper brands. Left an unpleasant aftertaste. I like the taste of nitrous when it's pure and ultra pure whip had a good taste to me.. That said, glad there are better brands. If I wasn't on drug sebatical I'd try it and let you know what I think.

Could be that I just got a bad batch of Ultra Pure Whip chargers. :) I'm also suspicious that Ultra Pure's "8 gram" cartridges are a little skimpy, as they don't seem to inflate my balloon as much as the ISI 8 g cartridges... but maybe I'm hallucinating. ;)

I think the cartridges are crap. I have done nitrous for many years and we always had tanks of medical grade N2O. That kind is food grade and is really just robbing you of oxygen with very little of the contents of what you get at the dentist. We have had food grade also, it's an imperfect world, and I have watched people flop around like a fish out of water more than I can count. I have seen people split their heads open bust out their teeth falling to the ground and would never describe the experience as psychedelic. Laughing gas yes, psychedelic no. I have seen mild mannered people turn into monsters it's called hippie crack for a reason. One is never enough and after too many you loose yourself and become obsessed trying to find that buzz that will never come back. Just my opinion and I will do it again, just sharing some facts for you.

I'd LOVE to get a tank of medical grade oxygenated N2O. Mmm...

Sure a tank is better for sure.
But looks weird getting one home from the depo lol.

Also good luck stopping before its empty hehe.

I dont know what kind of crap cartridges you get, but the mosa brand is quite nice.
Done hundreds in a night on acid with no bad effects.
I always load up on b12 though.

True dat, medical grade is way better where you have the N2O and O2 together so you can keep inhaling it without suffocating. That is so much better.

2-3 should do it, 1 isn't enough. I like to use 3, just take really deep breaths of it and hold it as long as possible and then do another until all the gas is gone.

You should clean out the canister regularly... if it's dirty then little bits of frozen material can blast into your lungs, which is bad. Honestly I think using balloons from the whip cream canister is the best, that way you're not inhaling cold gas. Inhaling directly from the canister has started to feel bad to me.

I just began inhaling straight from the canister, seems better to me and everyone who seems to do a good bit of nitrous/actually know something just does it that way. I've never felt it be cold coming out of the canister into my lungs though, not even remotely, even when I inhale it right away after releasing it.

I disagree with pretty much all of this. Except that yes, people get very fiendish.

I've only had medical grade at the dentist, but the cartridges seem to work might damn fine for everyone else. The argument that medical grade is worlds better kinda reminds me of how people say LSD was better "back in the day" when its still the same stuff just a different dose. I've had it at the dentist countless times and I can tell no difference (of course it is mixed with oxygen at the dentist though and a smaller dose).

That doesn't make sense, medical grade or not, its still robbing you of oxygen if you're not breathing any oxygen. Even IF food grade had a ton of crap in it, its robbing you oxygen just as much as 100% nitrous would be. Now, people going ham hyperventilating on a balloon is robbing you oxygen and will make you fall over and pass out, or worse.

I find it to be VERY psychedelic when combined with a psychedelic, its a complete wonder to me there doesn't seem to be any good explanation for it, but it blasts you the fuck off. A sober whippit to me is totally pointless and boring, definitely a novelty the first couple times though.

That's odd you've never felt the gas to be cold even right after releasing. In any case, if you press too hard it comes shooting out of the canister, and also if you haven't cleaned it out, it actually comes out cold enough to make tiny ice particles out of built-up gunk that you then inhale. When it's compressed in the bulb it's extremely cold. Ever used a cracker (the metal screw ones that suck compared to canisters) to crack a bulb into a balloon? The metal where the gas comes out gets too cold to handle after a couple of them, and the end of the balloon can freeze.

No disrespect Hilo what I was saying is the high some feel is actually the robbing the brain of oxygen. It's not like those catridges are FDA approved and who knows what is in it. I'm an old deadhead and the acid formulas haven't changed from certain families. I was hitting tanks in the mid 80s and thought it was the greatest topper after a sick show but now I see people charging twenty dollars for a balloon. And dumbass people are paying it by the hordes. That's why you can have tanks delivered to your hotel room in any city across the USA.

That's odd you've never felt the gas to be cold even right after releasing. In any case, if you press too hard it comes shooting out of the canister, and also if you haven't cleaned it out, it actually comes out cold enough to make tiny ice particles out of built-up gunk that you then inhale. When it's compressed in the bulb it's extremely cold. Ever used a cracker (the metal screw ones that suck compared to canisters) to crack a bulb into a balloon? The metal where the gas comes out gets too cold to handle after a couple of them, and the end of the balloon can freeze.

I have definitely experienced the little small metal one getting cold. In fact, last summer I was using one and the balloon broke and it sprayed on my finger and gave me a nasty burn.

With the canister, it shoots in, and then you gotta inhale it from there, so usually there is at the very least a few seconds delay between loading it and inhaling it. I don't have a ton of experience with it, so maybe i'm wrong, but just a couple weeks ago i was going straight from the can for 3 days and it was never even a bit cold. I was doing them rather rapidly when I was doing them back to back to get further. Strange it wasn't cold now that I think of it though.

No disrespect Hilo what I was saying is the high some feel is actually the robbing the brain of oxygen. It's not like those catridges are FDA approved and who knows what is in it. I'm an old deadhead and the acid formulas haven't changed from certain families. I was hitting tanks in the mid 80s and thought it was the greatest topper after a sick show but now I see people charging twenty dollars for a balloon. And dumbass people are paying it by the hordes. That's why you can have tanks delivered to your hotel room in any city across the USA.

Well, its used for making whipped cream used by places like starbucks, so I imagine there is some level of regulation if the brand is right, depends on brand I imagine. At least around here, the brand everyone buys is sold under the table from a certain coffee shop chain. But you're right, there are brands on amazon with awful reviews.

What this about tank delivery? sounds like some east coast nitrous mafia shenanigans

Last edited:
I've gone though at least 500 chargers with my whip-cream dispenser always inhaling directly from the canister. Once I went through 50 in a row and noticed my throat was a little sore. I speculated it could have been from the cold but it didn't last long. It's a harm reduction forum, so yeah, go with the balloon, it's safer. That said, the cold really isn't an issue for a 1/2 L size dispenser and the convenience is better.

Remember, the whip cream dispenser isn't just for getting high. Besides whip cream, use it to extract and infuse booze with nitrous to make specialty cocktails or some molecular gastronomy creations.

http://gizmodo.com/5955339/how-to-rapidly-flavor-any-booze-using-whip-its

So tried 2 canisters and apart from feeling heavy and breathless nothing. Will try three tomorrow.

Nitrous by itself is pointless, you need at least some cannabis to make it fun.
LSD or similar is even better.

Maybe for you it is. Of course other drugs make it much better though. Psychedelics, cannabinoids, and other dissociatives especially.

Nitrous by itself is pointless, you need at least some cannabis to make it fun.
LSD or similar is even better.

I agree. Until trying it with LSD+MDMA I disliked the stuff, seemed like a childish cheap high to me. Something teenagers do behind 7-11. But boy was I wrong!

Doing it on its own, without the occasion of being on another substance, seems to more easily lead to abuse. On its own its more of a quick, very euphoric high that leads to you doing more, with psychedelic drugs it can be incredibly profound and in that you can find much more respect and restraint in my experience.

DMT and nitrous is a crazy ride. Especially IM or with other psychedelics and dissociatives involved. Simple tryps go very well with it IMO. Will take you deep down the rabbit hole!

Well I tried 3 cannisters 2 hours into a 4-ho-met/MXE combo, (and 2 and then another 2 and then 3) and was less than impressed. Apart from one stage when I felt detached with a nice pulsing in my extremities I was very underwhelmed.

Good job I only bought 1000 cannisters :)

Well I tried 3 cannisters 2 hours into a 4-ho-met/MXE combo, (and 2 and then another 2 and then 3) and was less than impressed. Apart from one stage when I felt detached with a nice pulsing in my extremities I was very underwhelmed.

Good job I only bought 1000 cannisters :)

Really? I can completely breakthrough with nitrous o the tail end of even a light LSD trip. By breakthrough I mean go to a place where I no longer really remember I took a drug, or who/what I am and all the secrets of the universe have been revealed to me, but only momentarily. And oh, the visuals!!!

I don't really like dissociatives so I've never tried it on nay of them, but I've heard nitrous on mushrooms is very profound so I'd expect a similar-ish result with 4-ho-met. Although, a lot of people think 4-ho-met lacks the depth that mushrooms does, I've only had it once on a small dose so I can neither confirm nor deny.

1000 canisters? Jeez thats more than I've done in my life time lol, take your b12 and good breaks if you plan on working through all those yourself.