View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dipping my toes in Nitrous.

nuube

Bluelighter
Hi All. I am plannign to try Nitrous and have been doing some reading. I still have a few questions I wonder could you please help me with.

I know about minimising harm by filling balloons and there appears to be two ways 1) a little 'cracker' type device that punctures the canister and the gas can then be released into a balloon and 2) a cream whipping machine. I've also read about varying quality of cannisters so my questions are:

1) Would I be better getting a small cracker or the whipping cream cannister?

2) What type of balloons should I get, will ordinary ones do?

3) What would be a 'clean' charger - less residue and adulterants?

Many thanks for the help.

Hey man, guess today is my turn to talk about nitrous

1) whipping cream cannister is better to use. You can fill it with 2-3 chargers at once. However, your first time go ahead and waste one practicing trigger control. If you press the trigger all at once you get a compressed blast of nitrous. Can damage your lungs. You are sucking directly on a compressed gas. Not as safe as a balloon. That said, it's easy. Balloons are a pain in the ass. They fall apart after about 10 go's. The dispenser below is built like a tank.

Red-Whip-it.jpg

2) Get the heavy duty kind. They're expensive but they'll last longer.

nitrous_cracker4.jpg

3) ultra pure whip is the best IMO. Virtually no residue. Nice clean taste.

Take a B vitamin before or after your nitrous session and go easy on it. If you buy 100 chargers at a time it's hard to stop. Some people have more self-control, but it is a bit moreish so maybe make it one of those occasional things and stick to a smaller amount of chargers in your possession at any given time. Safe travels

Thanks levels, that is the sort of info I was looking for, I appreciate taking the time to help. Are you saying I just take the Nitrous straight from that cannister without emptying into a balloon first? What about frost bite?

Also what size of a canister should I use, I found a 1/4 litre one on ebay, is that large enough?

Last edited:
given the minuscule price difference between a 1/2 L and 1/4 L go with the 1/2 L. You'll have it for years to come and you can actually make some really good whip cream with it. Just add heavy cream and nitrous to make some real deal whipped topping, not that Cool Whip sorry excuse for a whipped topping you buy at stores. With the 1/4 L you can't really add more than one charger I'd think. Maybe some people do. I like the convenience of getting multiple chargers in the dispenser since I do exercises along with it to potentiate the experience and don't want interruptions. Fill the dispenser with three chargers, load up another to be cracked. Hassle free operation for a bit. Frostbite is a non-issue really. It'll get a little cold, sometime a bit unpleasantly so. no harm in letting it sit for a little bit before inhaling to equilibrate. Inhale directly from canister. A balloon would probably work too and be a bit safer but never tried.

I've located a 1/2 L container, just wondering now how many of the little canisters is needed for a good trip?

2-3 should do it, 1 isn't enough. I like to use 3, just take really deep breaths of it and hold it as long as possible and then do another until all the gas is gone.

You should clean out the canister regularly... if it's dirty then little bits of frozen material can blast into your lungs, which is bad. Honestly I think using balloons from the whip cream canister is the best, that way you're not inhaling cold gas. Inhaling directly from the canister has started to feel bad to me.

Thanks Xorkoth. Is there a special type of balloon or will an ordinary one do? From the videos I've watched they look like the normal ones.

Check out the balloon in the picture above. The "punching bag" balloons are the best ones, or else thick, durable balloons they sell at the grocery store in the floral section to fill with helium. Regular, cheap balloons may very well break.

I got a 1/2 L dispenser, 100 8g chargers and 10 heavy duty balloons, let the fun commence :). Thanks to all who helped.

Apart from the cold, asphyxiation and B12 problems is there anything else I should be aware of safety wise?

Pretty stoned, read this and thought you were going to literally dip your toes in some nitrous.8o

Haha yeah

Doing the balloon would be the the best idea, frostbite in the lungs is no fun. Or, get one of those big ass 6 foot balloons on amazon%)

I got a bag of 10 heavy duty balloons so hopefully they will do. I am really looking forward to this as I haven't the time/energy for proper tripping at the moment so hopefully this will be an easier solution until I'm back up to full fighting speed.

For me, the most profound/root-level sort of experiences I've ever had are from nitrous. Something about the "nitrous place" is just like, IT as far as psychedelic/dissociative experiences are concerned, it's hard to really remember but you retain scraps. But I usually can't get there, even on psychedelics. Being on a psychedelic makes it more likely to get there. Some people seem to get there a lot easier than me though. If you don't "get there" (and if you do get there, you'll know what I mean), it's just a really strong and pleasurable body high where sounds can sound a lot different and some other stuff happens, but nothing to write home about IMO. I wish I could get there more consistently, it hasn't happened in like the last 10 times I've tried.

For me, the most profound/root-level sort of experiences I've ever had are from nitrous. Something about the "nitrous place" is just like, IT as far as psychedelic/dissociative experiences are concerned, it's hard to really remember but you retain scraps. But I usually can't get there, even on psychedelics. Being on a psychedelic makes it more likely to get there. Some people seem to get there a lot easier than me though. If you don't "get there" (and if you do get there, you'll know what I mean), it's just a really strong and pleasurable body high where sounds can sound a lot different and some other stuff happens, but nothing to write home about IMO. I wish I could get there more consistently, it hasn't happened in like the last 10 times I've tried.
Vitamin B deficiency? I heard that nitrous trips were weak when you have low vitamin B, as nitrous also uses up all your vitamin B.

Also, can you build up a tolerance to nitrous?

I think you can, but I hardly ever do nitrous. Seriously doubt I have a B-12 deficiency as that only happens with chronic use, and I consume a lot of B vitamins. I do nitrous like once every few months at most.

Oh, ok. I dont think that is enough to make a big difference then. I have only used nitrous once and I only inhaled one time. I hope you can get the magic back. Good luck!

We always combine cream dispenser and balloons. The gas direct out of dispenser is very cold for your lungs, apparently.

So 2 cannisters into a dispenser (as mentioned above for cream) and attach a helium grade balloon, for durability.
Then simply dispense into balloon and then inhale repeatedly out of balloon and back in until you cannot any more.

You expel oxygen every outbreath back into balloon so this is safe and you will lose ability to move (thus dropping balloon) before running out of oxygen.

Btw, in my experience, have some background music on. I find the auditory effects significant compared to visual, ymmv.

We always combine cream dispenser and balloons. The gas direct out of dispenser is very cold for your lungs, apparently.

So 2 cannisters into a dispenser (as mentioned above for cream) and attach a helium grade balloon, for durability.
Then simply dispense into balloon and then inhale repeatedly out of balloon and back in until you cannot any more.

You expel oxygen every outbreath back into balloon so this is safe and you will lose ability to move (thus dropping balloon) before running out of oxygen.

Btw, in my experience, have some background music on. I find the auditory effects significant compared to visual, ymmv.

So am I right in thinking you suck in the Nitrous and blow it back into the balloon and repeat? Would it not be better to take a blast of the balloon, hold before exhaling into the air and then repeat?

Your correct in understanding my description and your question has merit.

I havent googled this in any depth or profess to know from an industrial perspective, however, i believe what you inhale and exhale in terms of gas percentages is relevant.

In a normal breath you inhale circa 21% oxygen and the remainder is made up of nitrogen predominantly and other gases.

Using the balloon method described assumes

1. You will be able to stop if you need oxygen unlike using a mask attached to a cylinder by dropping balloon, or ceasing to move.
2. Their is benefit from recycling exhaled nitrous oxide gas and reinhaling.

The second point is unconfirmed via google or more trusted scientific measures. But if accurate the described method is most efficient with the tools at play.