• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Dosing Differences in the "high" of Indica & Sativa are non-existent. Placebo. Change My Mind?

G-chem is right again, if you have grown you will know a sativa from in indica. I guess i was thinking buds in a bag smoke em and tell me if there indica or sativa, I couldn't. But my tolerance is sky high. Sativas grow much different than indica. I am almost suprised it is still around haha.

It’s why we’ve lost a lot of good Sativa genetics over the years. Thankfully some dedicated folks try their best to preserve what we do have left.

-GC

^ Cheers to them. Growing sativas was always very unrewarding yield wise and they seem to grow tall and lanky with it being tough to produce decent colas. I want to say super lemon haze is a sativa I grew that put me off sativas (and growing tbh but that was more my roomate). G-Chem, could you mention some of the strains no longer with us? Or just good genetics from those strains....If your growing sativa, thank you for your extra effort and time (if i member right) lol.

^ Cheers to them. Growing sativas was always very unrewarding yield wise and they seem to grow tall and lanky with it being tough to produce decent colas. I want to say super lemon haze is a sativa I grew that put me off sativas (and growing tbh but that was more my roomate). G-Chem, could you mention some of the strains no longer with us? Or just good genetics from those strains....If your growing sativa, thank you for your extra effort and time (if i member right) lol.

I’ve heard Colombian Gold is no longer with us which was the “gold standard” of high quality in the 70’s. According to my dad who’s tried all the modern stuff, the high can’t be matched.

I’ve looked and while there are seeds sold as Colombian Gold, if you look at the reviews you’ll see old timers saying it’s nothing like the actual real deal from back in the day.

I’ve been able to smoke genetics preserved from the late 80’s, the high definitely was different. The cannabis had less terps but gave a heady reliable high.

-GC

I heard the real purple haze died off and was replaced by basically anything purple. (remember the timeframe, even nitrogen deficient purple brick fetched extra) so i bet anything that was truly purple I may have believed it in the black market days.

I’ve heard Colombian Gold is no longer with us which was the “gold standard” of high quality in the 70’s. According to my dad who’s tried all the modern stuff, the high can’t be matched.

I’ve looked and while there are seeds sold as Colombian Gold, if you look at the reviews you’ll see old timers saying it’s nothing like the actual real deal from back in the day.

I’ve been able to smoke genetics preserved from the late 80’s, the high definitely was different. The cannabis had less terps but gave a heady reliable high.

-GC
(Columbian) Gold was great. I liked Columbian Red Bud even better. It was stonier. Gold was more psychedelic and up. Red Bud had that Sativa high, but you were stoned to the bone.

Hawaiian was the best. It was supposedly Thai seeds grown in Hawaii. So, great genetics but fresher and big buds.

As an aside, gold became commercialized and more mass produced over the years. "R", the High Times "Dope Connoisseur" then suggested calling it "pale" instead of "gold".
It was still pretty darn good and a nice high. The "pale" or "commercial gold" is something I was lucky enough to smoke exclusively for years since I was getting older, had a better job, and would buy in quantity when it was around.

Columbian was supposed to be super hard to mature. If you look at a map, Columbia is right on the equator whereas Thailand a little further away, like southern Mexico. People would plant 'Lumbo seeds and get the tiniest of immature flowers. (40th parallel)
Isn't there Columbian Gold in Haze? Along with Mexican and Thai to try to get it to flower.

Last edited:
I notice a big difference in strains like red congo and durban poison compared to indicas

M'well, true or false it's a win-win for yellow papers trying to survive democratization of the internet...

columbian gold very well may be in haze. I am not the strain guy at all. I laughed my ass off at a cartoon "dont you label those sour diesel you label that lemon haze" ... "but they came off the same plant?" "its called marketing you fool". Rang true to me. I go by brand more than strain.....but im in a semi legal US state so I have alot of benefits I suppose.

my father on the other hand i do believe invented a couple strains.

Thanks to G-chem for responding- Columbian gold was definitely one of them. I wanna say thai sticks but maybe they were just before my time as ive never been clear if that is a strain or a form of packaging. (probably both at this point).

*edit. Paranoid, are you a daily smoker or just occasionally? heavy or light? just wondering as i've never heard anyone take the voice of different strains produce different highs, and well, I don't think your making it up to sound special based on your other postings.

Last edited:
(Columbian) Gold was great. I liked Columbian Red Bud even better. It was stonier. Gold was more psychedelic and up. Red Bud had that Sativa high, but you were stoned to the bone.

Hawaiian was the best. It was supposedly Thai seeds grown in Hawaii. So, great genetics but fresher and big buds.

As an aside, gold became commercialized and more mass produced over the years. "R", the High Times "Dope Connoisseur" then suggested calling it "pale" instead of "gold".
It was still pretty darn good and a nice high. The "pale" or "commercial gold" is something I was lucky enough to smoke exclusively for years since I was getting older, had a better job, and would buy in quantity when it was around.

Columbian was supposed to be super hard to mature. If you look at a map, Columbia is right on the equator whereas Thailand a little further away, like southern Mexico. People would plant 'Lumbo seeds and get the tiniest of immature flowers. (40th parallel)
Isn't there Columbian Gold in Haze? Along with Mexican and Thai to try to get it to flower.

Interesting. I could definitely see Hawaiian being Thai due to that fruity smell. Original Blueberry was also Thai. I’m not a fan of growing Thai strains cuz the buds mature in stages, you’ll very often notice a couple immature hairs and calyxs on the buds because of it.

Haze has Gold? I could see that as well. Hazes are the only strains that can give me anxiety. It usually only lasts 15min but it’s not comfortable while it lasts lol. I’ll start throwing Hazes at my dad to see what he says.

-GC

i've seen speculation that original cali haze is all or mostly colombian... and iirc, oldtimers haze (storied to be an offshoot of proto-haze) was said to have colombian in it (i forget if it was confirmed with genetics).

anyway, at risk of sounding like a broken record... ime, sativa v indica is MOSTLY marketing hogwash when it comes to modern commercial hybrids... but it still means something in the heirloom/ landrace side of things.

ppl like ace seeds and cannabiogen still work with heirloom genetics to make 100% or almost 100% pure sativa hybrids, and some interesting indicas.

here in the states, in most markets, sativas are almost unobtanium without growing your own from known seeds.

but when it's a real deal sativa, it's different fosho.

Interesting. I could definitely see Hawaiian being Thai due to that fruity smell. Original Blueberry was also Thai. I’m not a fan of growing Thai strains cuz the buds mature in stages, you’ll very often notice a couple immature hairs and calyxs on the buds because of it.

Haze has Gold? I could see that as well. Hazes are the only strains that can give me anxiety. It usually only lasts 15min but it’s not comfortable while it lasts lol. I’ll start throwing Hazes at my dad to see what he says.

-GC
I live in a non legal state, so I'm not as familiar with what is called "Hawaiian" or "Thai" in strains now. I would wonder if they are pure Hawaiian or Thai or if the genetics is a bit muddled.

Supposedly, they grew Indica in Hawaii too, once it became common.
In the days of imported Columbian, there was no Indica anywhere.

So, I dunno.

Sativa makes me giggly and euphoric, which I MUCH prefer to Indica, which makes my limbs feel heavy...kind of like a fucking zombie. I want a mental relaxant, NOT a paralyzing agent. So, I quickly learned to avoid Indica. It's definitely not for me.