• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Dosing Differences in the "high" of Indica & Sativa are non-existent. Placebo. Change My Mind?

keseyhitchens

Bluelighter
The general view out there is that Sativa is less sedating. . After a decade of smoking I've come to the conclusion that the Sativa- Indica dichotomy is mostly bullshit. It's similar to pretentious wine experts who will tell you Cabernet will give you a more heady drunk than Pino Noir or some shit. You expect the indica is gonna chill you out so it does. You think sativa is gonna speed you up so it does. People think they can't smoke Sativa because "i need indica cuz it's sedating" when really if you smoked Sativa all you'd be doing is you psyching yourself out and feeling tension because you are not smoking the "right" weed. THC is a hallucinogen and with those drugs set and setting, aka subjectivity is more important to how the drug is going to make you feel more then other drugs. To sum up my first point, The Indica and Sativa effect is mostly placebo.

My second point, which is more important, is that when you buy weed now you can see the cannabanoid levels in the flower you bought and I have seen countless strains of weed that were exactly the same percentage of THC, CBD, etc so there doesnt seem to be a chemical reason why they would give a different high. I swear the only difference on some of these products is that one says indica and one says sativa. And sometimes I'll see Sativa strains with CBD and than indica with nothing but THC.

An important side point. I'm not saying there are no differences between strains. There are ones that give a better high because they are grown better, stronger, whatever. There have been sometimes where i have gotten a strain and it made me laugh at everything like i was on LSD. The question is but was that the strain I had or was i just in a good headspace. I suspect it was probably both. The chemicals and mind aligned perfectly. I think that is definitely a thing. BUT the whole "Indicas are more sedating and Sativas are more stimulating" is nonsense. What really matters is the quality of the bud and how much you smoke imo. The more you smoke the more sedating THC is.

I also propose a challenge. If you are one of those "I need/prefer Indica/Sativa" people and you really think there is a noticeable difference that is not based in your bias but in the difference in the chemicals in the strains. Say you have a friend who only smokes indica. Slip your friend a sativa preroll (play it off as fire indica preroll) w/o telling him when your having a smoke session. I guarantee you that at least 100 percent of the time they wont notice a difference or question the high at all.

I think the whole Indy-Sativa thing is a tribal marketing scam. It's like PC or Mac. Star Wars or Star Trek. Do the white onions in the grocery store really taste that different than the red variety? No.

Questions? Comments? Rebuttals? Arguments? Agreements? Elaborations? Lets get a discussion going my fellow plant smoking primates!

Don't even get me started on "Hybrid" strains, whatever the fuck that means. The only strain/type of weed you need is USDA Prime dank McNuggets. Just get high doggy dogg. Huzzah!

having tried and used many different strains then growing some northern lights years ago which is supposedly indica dominant, well that month i had the best months sleep i have had in my whole life. Not all strains even indica are sedating to me though so it is indeed a pretty much broad blanket term that is often what id consider overused and taken for gospel, however that being said 'knockout' strains do exist and they are indica dominant

The general view out there is that Sativa is less sedating. . After a decade of smoking I've come to the conclusion that the Sativa- Indica dichotomy is mostly bullshit. It's similar to pretentious wine experts who will tell you Cabernet will give you a more heady drunk than Pino Noir or some shit. You expect the indica is gonna chill you out so it does. You think sativa is gonna speed you up so it does. People think they can't smoke Sativa because "i need indica cuz it's sedating" when really if you smoked Sativa all you'd be doing is you psyching yourself out and feeling tension because you are not smoking the "right" weed. THC is a hallucinogen and with those drugs set and setting, aka subjectivity is more important to how the drug is going to make you feel more then other drugs. To sum up my first point, The Indica and Sativa effect is mostly placebo.

My second point, which is more important, is that when you buy weed now you can see the cannabanoid levels in the flower you bought and I have seen countless strains of weed that were exactly the same percentage of THC, CBD, etc so there doesnt seem to be a chemical reason why they would give a different high. I swear the only difference on some of these products is that one says indica and one says sativa. And sometimes I'll see Sativa strains with CBD and than indica with nothing but THC.

An important side point. I'm not saying there are no differences between strains. There are ones that give a better high because they are grown better, stronger, whatever. There have been sometimes where i have gotten a strain and it made me laugh at everything like i was on LSD. The question is but was that the strain I had or was i just in a good headspace. I suspect it was probably both. The chemicals and mind aligned perfectly. I think that is definitely a thing. BUT the whole "Indicas are more sedating and Sativas are more stimulating" is nonsense. What really matters is the quality of the bud and how much you smoke imo. The more you smoke the more sedating THC is.

I also propose a challenge. If you are one of those "I need/prefer Indica/Sativa" people and you really think there is a noticeable difference that is not based in your bias but in the difference in the chemicals in the strains. Say you have a friend who only smokes indica. Slip your friend a sativa preroll (play it off as fire indica preroll) w/o telling him when your having a smoke session. I guarantee you that at least 100 percent of the time they wont notice a difference or question the high at all.

I think the whole Indy-Sativa thing is a tribal marketing scam. It's like PC or Mac. Star Wars or Star Trek. Do the white onions in the grocery store really taste that different than the red variety? No.

Questions? Comments? Rebuttals? Arguments? Agreements? Elaborations? Lets get a discussion going my fellow plant smoking primates!

Don't even get me started on "Hybrid" strains, whatever the fuck that means. The only strain/type of weed you need is USDA Prime dank McNuggets. Just get high doggy dogg. Huzzah!

Dude, and someone I met used to deliver things to people? And his clients would pay him EXTRA for the fancy little flowers. And when they asked me which one do I like, I'd say, "I'm a country boy. I smoke the cheap stuff."
But they still cheerfully paid extra for the stuff in the fancy packaging with the beauty queen buds and mild smell and the cute little purple hairs and flashy strain reputation.
To corroborate your story, one of my buddies in New York used to push and he went to the most effort of any pusher I knew to label stuff, and weight stuff and add strain information to his bags. My friend JR confronted him on this one day, "You pretty much just make all of this up, don't you?" and homeboy agreed. LOL. You'd think his clients would have been calling him out on it if there were a noticeable difference.
I love Denver. But Denver is the worst for pretention as far as customer base goes, or the way that they talk to you in the head shops. I try to be polite to people but when you go into a head shop and there is a dude with a gun hip-holstered and they want to scan your ID before selling you federally scheduled narcotics, it's not for me. Scoring in the park feels safer, more convenient and cheaper, and I don't have to listen to some dude give me the THC THC-B lecture.

Thank you for posting this. I have never wanted to ruin someone's fun, but I wish that these kids would discover wine.

ce87ef-20190610-wine.jpg

Last edited:
There’s definitely a difference.. In the way they grow. Terpenes matter more than anything on how the high will feel. Read with your nose. I’ve had 12% THC bud get me higher than 22% and I could tell it would before I even took the first hit, all cuz of smell.

Then you have strains treating people differently. Like Durban Poison and offshoots put me to sleep, yet full bodied Kush strains seem to keep me going. Jack Herer is another that’ll get me sleepy often times despite being touted as a more energizing strain.

-GC

If it's Stony I will smoke it....
That being said.
I can always tell the difference.
My husband likes to mess with me and see if I will notice it's a sativa when he said it was indica/or vice versa

There have been some articles floating around the "pot sites" which have said that you cannot tell the high by the percentage of Indica or Sativa. Careful reading of those articles will show that they are saying that the genetic pool is so mixed at the moment that the percentage indeed does not matter as much.

You can have a 95% African American human being with blue eyes.
With breeding and cross breeding, the various traits get mixed up and different traits are selected for.
A Sativa high can be bred into a high Indica strain. You've actually read of breeders trying to do just this for years.
So, it is indeed true that percentage of Sativa and Indica is not a good indicator of high anymore.

However, those articles do not say that Indica and Sativa landraces never had highs which tended one way or another.
They say that the genepool is such that Indica and Sativa percentages matter less now.

So, you get people reading these articles and parroting what they think they read because people have a tendency to want to be the ones, "in the know".

Last edited:
I think OP is mostly right. Well, it was a difference many years ago, when strains were natural. Weed from Angola had nothing to do with thai (they said, never tried thai myself), or colombiana was very different to Morrocan seeds adapted to random Iberic locations.
But those were natural beings, very old genetics, grown in very different places around the world, different soils, latitudes, climates, from almost sea level to himalayan heights....
Indoor weed may be different from strain to strain, but always has something very similar and predictable to me
Buying weed out of young people drives me mad, always giving me names and data and shit, trying to make me understand that " strongest is allways best". Like if I fancy a beer and the walter were to say "no, man, what you really want is this 65% vodka!" Fuck it all.
bullshit. It's similar to pretentious wine experts who will tell you Cabernet will give you a more heady drunk than Pino Noir or some shit
Can't agree here. I am far from a "wine expert", but I happen to be from a place were wine is cultural (over 90 Origin Denominations in the country). While wine is allways wine and will basically get you drunk, there are a lot of different outcomes from wine to wine regarding feelings, hungovers, stomach issues and so on... also, some of them can enhance some particular food while others would ruin it for sure,
Some wine giving you a more heady drunk is as big as a truth as some opiates being more or less euphoric or sedating than others.

having tried and used many different strains then growing some northern lights years ago which is supposedly indica dominant, well that month i had the best months sleep i have had in my whole life. Not all strains even indica are sedating to me though so it is indeed a pretty much broad blanket term that is often what id consider overused and taken for gospel, however that being said 'knockout' strains do exist and they are indica dominant
But as I said in my op ANY strain ,as long as its dank enough, will put you to sleep if you smoke enough. [

But as I said in my op ANY strain ,as long as its dank enough, will put you to sleep if you smoke enough. [
Sure. What's your point?

Don't you get any difference at all in highs from different pot? I can smoke two different balanced hybrids in the same day and, although the highs will be very similar, I can feel a difference.

Yes, pot is pot and the pot people call "up" still sits you back. There is no pot that makes me want to be more active and do housework. There is pot that I can motivate myself to do housework on and there is pot where no amount of self motivation will get me going. I will be pretty sedentary on either if I let myself.

Sativa isn't "up" for me. It's more floaty and euphoric. Indica feels "syrupy", for lack of a better word.

A Sativa high makes the the "Bing, bing bing" just before Shatner says "Space, the final frontier" happen in my head. (figuratively) Spacy, floaty.
An Indica high wraps my head in a warm blanket.

Hawaiian felt different than Columbian felt different than Mexican. If I smoke some good Mexican regs nowadays, it sparks memories of high school when Mexican was the only game in town. When Indica hit the homegrown market, the difference was significant. People would say, "This is some sleepy headed pot.", without any discussion of strains or genetics.

Yeah, it's all blended together nowadays to a large extent. We've produced a new landrace. Maybe we can call it "Indoorus americanus".

BTW, there are many different alcohol like compounds produced during fermentation. For instance, anything having a lot of pectin in the wort will produce a lot of Methanol. Methanol will make you more wasted, but it's a poison and will give you a hell of a hangover. Hard cider is high in Methanol and used to cause something called "apple palsy" as a bad hangover (usually if concentrated in Applejack). Methanol is but one of many compounds produced during fermentation which can affect how the booze affects you.

Hard liquor, where the ethanol is generally separated from those other compounds to at least an extent, feels different than beer or wine to me.

Last edited:
my father claims that some weed brings him down and other weed speeds him up. when he gets the supposed upper weed, he has to "chug three beers" to level out... i've been going to the dispensary for a year and a half now trying to figure out which chemicals in the weed he might not like, and from his experiences, none of it makes sense with what chemicals are on the packaging. maybe there are terpenes that i'm not reading about that are affecting him, but i'm just guessing he likes to chug three beers to come down off of a high and it's just something he likes to do every now and then, so he makes it up in his mind.

i personally can't tell the difference between sativa and indica at all. i can tell some buds have a distinct taste, but as far as the high goes, i'm with the OP. i think the THC mostly overwhelms the other chemicals from my experience making most highs the same feel. i've never tried extracted CBD, but i've never really been able to tell if CBD is in the bud either.

seems like indica and sativa is mostly just having to do with the size of the plant and what part of the world it originally grew in. they mostly contain the same cannabinoids. i notice the sativa tends to have more CBD at my dispensarys. funny as CBD is supposed to be relaxing and sativa is sometimes labeled the upper breed.

I think OP is mostly right. Well, it was a difference many years ago, when strains were natural. Weed from Angola had nothing to do with thai (they said, never tried thai myself), or colombiana was very different to Morrocan seeds adapted to random Iberic locations.
But those were natural beings, very old genetics, grown in very different places around the world, different soils, latitudes, climates, from almost sea level to himalayan heights....
Indoor weed may be different from strain to strain, but always has something very similar and predictable to me
Buying weed out of young people drives me mad, always giving me names and data and shit, trying to make me understand that " strongest is allways best". Like if I fancy a beer and the walter were to say "no, man, what you really want is this 65% vodka!" Fuck it all.

Can't agree here. I am far from a "wine expert", but I happen to be from a place were wine is cultural (over 90 Origin Denominations in the country). While wine is allways wine and will basically get you drunk, there are a lot of different outcomes from wine to wine regarding feelings, hungovers, stomach issues and so on... also, some of them can enhance some particular food while others would ruin it for sure,
Some wine giving you a more heady drunk is as big as a truth as some opiates being more or less euphoric or sedating than others.
I was being hyperbolic in my post i know there are differences between wines all i'm saying is they are exagerated. I'm from the USA, right near Napa, the other wine center of the world, and there just seems to be so much pretension and nonsense in the wine tasting culture. Also are you a Spainard? Where from I am too, well partly, that part of my family emigrated from Madrid to Colorado when it was still New Spain (then some of the Garcia's moved to CAlifornia Bay Area in the 50's which is how i'm here) But i'm totally americanized but i've always been intrested in and wanting to visit the mother country.

my father claims that some weed brings him down and other weed speeds him up. when he gets the supposed upper weed, he has to "chug three beers" to level out... i've been going to the dispensary for a year and a half now trying to figure out which chemicals in the weed he might not like, and from his experiences, none of it makes sense with what chemicals are on the packaging. maybe there are terpenes that i'm not reading about that are affecting him, but i'm just guessing he likes to chug three beers to come down off of a high and it's just something he likes to do every now and then, so he makes it up in his mind.

i personally can't tell the difference between sativa and indica at all. i can tell some buds have a distinct taste, but as far as the high goes, i'm with the OP. i think the THC mostly overwhelms the other chemicals from my experience making most highs the same feel. i've never tried extracted CBD, but i've never really been able to tell if CBD is in the bud either.

seems like indica and sativa is mostly just having to do with the size of the plant and what part of the world it originally grew in. they mostly contain the same cannabinoids. i notice the sativa tends to have more CBD at my dispensarys. funny as CBD is supposed to be relaxing and sativa is sometimes labeled the upper breed.
People can psyche themselves out and get into habits with drugs. Like i WILL NOT use any stimulant. Coke, meth, mdma, anything without having a benzo just in case. it's a mental thing because I have an anxiety disorder and get panic attacks and the high of stimulants feels like an anxiety attack physically in alot of ways (racing heart, sweaty, feel like cant breath). I feel i need the benzo to take the stimulant. Just having it around makes me feel better.

disagree, thats the whole reason specific strains are bred for focus and energising uplifting effects. There are strains being bred now to eliminate CBN (with proper processing and harvesting methods in place which is important as THC degrades to CBN)
But then again im someone who wont sleep even after taking anti psychotics or sleeping tablets my insomnia is just stupid sometimes

There are 2 things i know for real though that would send me to sleep if i can have a large dose:
Benzos
Vaped Weed cakes
I presume vaped weed cakes contain a lot of CBN

"However, this method of classification is flawed, and now with the advent of molecular testing, it’s clear that sativa vs indica is a false dichotomy.
As of yet, there’s not a better system in place to help people differentiate between different strains of cannabis, and figure out which strains they might prefer.
It’s important to keep in mind that the effects of different cannabis strains can vary widely and may be affected by a variety of factors, including the specific genetics which yield specific terpene profiles and overall cannabinoid content. Other factors include the method of consumption, and the individual characteristics of the person using it.
It’s best to try different strains and see which works best for your individual needs and preferences.
Conclusion
The sativa vs indica myth has been around for a long time, and it’s likely not going away anytime soon. Although it’s misleading in some respects, it does work at a very basic level. That is, it can help people describe a specific strain delivering an “up” or a “down” effect.
Especially in the world of aggressive breeding with an incredibly diverse gene pool, the line between sativa and indica is non-existent. It’s all based on the terpene profile, coupled with the cannabinoid content.
What do you think is a better way to classify cannabis strains? Let us know in the comments!"

Again

"Especially in the world of aggressive breeding with an incredibly diverse gene pool, the line between sativa and indica is non-existent. It’s all based on the terpene profile, coupled with the cannabinoid content. "

This article is typical of a very common analysis out there at the moment. Many of them actually have word for word cutting and pasting.

A careful reading will show that these articles do not say that there are no differences between highs given by pot. They say quite clearly that there is a difference related to the terpene profile and cannabinoid content. The articles state, and only state, that there is much less difference in terpene level and cannabinoid content related directly to the amount of Indica and Sativa in the plant than there used to be.

That being said, growers have spent decades trying to breed a more Sativa type high into American domestic genetics. I mean, why was there even Haze? It's certainly not an easier plant to grow. Separating the long flowering time and high light requirements from the buzz proved to be difficult. This tells me that The Indica and Sativa cannabinoid profiles were somewhat difficult to separate from the other traits. They've largely done that now, though. After decades.

A similar thing happening now is the breeding of Ruderalis autoflower strains. Ruderalis' cannabinoid profile is quite low, it's not a drug plant. However, now, after years of breeding, growers have achieved Ruderalis hybrids which supposedly are just as potent as other strains. For years, Ruderalis hybrids were known as inferior in potency. Now, finally, that Ruderalis cannabinoid profile is also not really specific to subspecies.

I will say this. Marijuana being legal in many states has invited in the capitalist system to market it, for good or ill. Now that pot has had it's face painted and it is on the street corner making money, the advertising hyperbole has begun.

Pot is still pot and always has been. Pot highs have always had more in common than the (distinct) differences. There is no pot that will make you want to vacuum the sidewalk and wax the driveway like speed will.

Maybe it's not that we need to revise calling different strains "Sativa" or "Indica". Maybe we need to revise that "up" or "down" label.

Any suggestions? How would we describe the differing highs? What are better labels?

Last edited:
Sure. What's your point?

Don't you get any difference at all in highs from different pot? I can smoke two different balanced hybrids in the same day and, although the highs will be very similar, I can feel a difference.

Yes, pot is pot and the pot people call "up" still sits you back. There is no pot that makes me want to be more active and do housework. There is pot that I can motivate myself to do housework on and there is pot where no amount of self motivation will get me going. I will be pretty sedentary on either if I let myself.

Sativa isn't "up" for me. It's more floaty and euphoric. Indica feels "syrupy", for lack of a better word.

A Sativa high makes the the "Bing, bing bing" just before Shatner says "Space, the final frontier" happen in my head. (figuratively) Spacy, floaty.
An Indica high wraps my head in a warm blanket.

Hawaiian felt different than Columbian felt different than Mexican. If I smoke some good Mexican regs nowadays, it sparks memories of high school when Mexican was the only game in town. When Indica hit the homegrown market, the difference was significant. People would say, "This is some sleepy headed pot.", without any discussion of strains or genetics.

Yeah, it's all blended together nowadays to a large extent. We've produced a new landrace. Maybe we can call it "Indoorus americanus".

BTW, there are many different alcohol like compounds produced during fermentation. For instance, anything having a lot of pectin in the wort will produce a lot of Methanol. Methanol will make you more wasted, but it's a poison and will give you a hell of a hangover. Hard cider is high in Methanol and used to cause something called "apple palsy" as a bad hangover (usually if concentrated in Applejack). Methanol is but one of many compounds produced during fermentation which can affect how the booze affects you.

Hard liquor, where the ethanol is generally separated from those other compounds to at least an extent, feels different than beer or wine to me.

Yes of course dude. My post was purposefully hyperbolic and I hope humorous. Of course the high is different but the difference is mostly in the strength of the high and also how im feeling before. Indica and Sativa is way overblown in there importance and differences that's all I'm saying.

Yes of course dude. My post was purposefully hyperbolic and I hope humorous. Of course the high is different but the difference is mostly in the strength of the high and also how im feeling before. Indica and Sativa is way overblown in there importance and differences that's all I'm saying.

Just going by the title of the OP.

Differences in the "high" of Indica & Sativa are non-existent. Placebo. Change My Mind?

Sorry if I was strident, but that seems to be a trendy thing to say, usually based upon a misreading of articles common at the moment.

They still haven't figured out what cannabinoids and/or terpenes can change the high. Fascinating subject, actually.
CBD, almost completely non-psychoactive, can change the buzz from THC quite noticibly due to only similar occupation of receptor sites.
CBD alone does not account for the differences, though, and CBG and others can modify things as well, likely in the same fashion.
Then, the likely role terpenes play?

Interesting indeed. Almost shines light on the differences in LSD since the main argument for "acid is acid" is that there is no substance directly psychoactive in small enough quantities to fit in a blotter. Similar, non-psychoactive, substances occupying receptor sites partially is often overlooked.

There's another debate for ya. ;)

I like your username and avatar. Christopher or Peter Hitchens?

Star Wars or Star Trek.

Star Trek, of course. ;)

Last edited:
I know you guys are going back-and-forth on this, but this is what I have found too. Indica or sativa, eventually it all makes me hungry and sleepy. But yes, I can tell some subtle differences and I always prefer an Indica as it feels more stonier. But enough sativa will eventually do the same.

I also grew up in a time where you’ve got your bag of weed and it was a bag of weed whatever it was. And make no mistake. There is a lot of new folklore being created in the cannabis industry. But I can still tell subtle differences in strains.

I used to prefer Sativa marijuana or hashish because compared to Indica it was usually more psychedelic, there was no annoying body load, and I am very energetic and active.

Indicas tended to make me feel very relaxed, sleepy, and sluggish-It was almost as bad as this annoying side-effect of alcohol.

Last edited:
I resent being asked that the minute I walk into a dispensary. Like hey let me look at what i want and pick something dont limit me to half of all products immediately. I find very little difference for the record. at this point it looks alot like. Couple strains of top notch flower 40 an 8th or 190 a zip (brand not strain) and some kief 9 a gram! to make sure I hit all the receptors. Some distillate or live resin carts 10-30 a g and this is mostly a very intense thc high to add to the flower and if I am really feeling like lighting things up THC-A crystals rolled in live resin for a better consistency more than the high itself. Only problem ive found is if you go crystal heavy it is apparent they burn at a lower temp. (in my experience anyways).

There’s definitely a difference.. In the way they grow. Terpenes matter more than anything on how the high will feel. Read with your nose. I’ve had 12% THC bud get me higher than 22% and I could tell it would before I even took the first hit, all cuz of smell.

Then you have strains treating people differently. Like Durban Poison and offshoots put me to sleep, yet full bodied Kush strains seem to keep me going. Jack Herer is another that’ll get me sleepy often times despite being touted as a more energizing strain.

-GC
G-chem is right again, if you have grown you will know a sativa from in indica. I guess i was thinking buds in a bag smoke em and tell me if there indica or sativa, I couldn't. But my tolerance is sky high. Sativas grow much different than indica. I am almost suprised it is still around haha.