Desperate Did you eventually forgive the person who committed / sectioned you into psych hospital?

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
I'm interested in hearing from people who have been involuntarily committed to a mental hospital for drug use / depression. Did you forgive the person who did it to you?

I'm thinking it might be the only solution for someone close to me but am worried about long term relationship damage. When I was a teenager I was pressured into going to rehab (not same thing) by some tough love from my parents and forgave them almost imediately I was sober. Bottom line is I know a seemingly suicidely depressed young adult i who is polydrug fucking themselves up to the point of blackout regularly and getting in all kinds of trouble as a result. No amount of talk from me or sharing of bitter experience from my own drug use seems to deter them.

I wasn't committed involuntary really, but my SO and friends tried to have an intervention on me as I was going off the rails, about to lose my job and likely dead soon.

Long story short, I had a meltdown and suicide attempt after this, was hospitalized and they basically gave me the choice between going to rehab for a month in Cali or to the mental health place in town. I picked rehab (in Cali, West Coast first time, literally first plane ride) of course.

I still love all of my family and friends that were with me through this time. Hindsight is really 20/20, and even if someone is in crisis and opposed to everything at the moment, ime I was able to forgive. It has been a process though. Mostly how I wish things could've been different.

Last edited:
Sounds like some good people who loved you saw some things that freaked them out and set things in motion that ended up doing good as of now?

No because it was my fault, 47 fucking days in that loonybin god. Taking 10mg zyprexa, carbamazepine,topiramate everyday. monged as fuck.

No because it was my fault, 47 fucking days in that loonybin god. Taking 10mg zyprexa, carbamazepine,topiramate everyday. monged as fuck.

I feel that. When I went through rehab I just told them I was having auditory hallucinations so they'd give me Seroquel. I mean I probably was though for real 🤷

They put me on heavy Seroquel, Trazodone, Effexor, and others I can't recall. But yeah safe to say I put on some pounds during that time. I stayed on all these meds for a couple months after rehab, but decided my brain felt like gloop so I had to dial it back on the meds

2 stints, both jail then hospital. One in NY and one in CT. Jess Rivera was tired of me contacting her so she filed charges of harassment. It got into the courts and all that. IN short, I don't forgive her or society for taking sides. THe courts threw our my constitutional rights and one day I would like to confront her as our 6th amendment rights counter sue. BUt I did write a narrative and it includes all the details from those events. I'm still receiving injections of APs(invega) as a result. This was 2010-11 but hey, I hope she's happy wherever she is.

I feel that. When I went through rehab I just told them I was having auditory hallucinations so they'd give me Seroquel. I mean I probably was though for real 🤷

They put me on heavy Seroquel, Trazodone, Effexor, and others I can't recall. But yeah safe to say I put on some pounds during that time. I stayed on all these meds for a couple months after rehab, but decided my brain felt like gloop so I had to dial it back on the meds

Oh man, I remember when i was in rehab for the 2nd time they put me on 600mg Quetiapine a day. HOLY FUCKING SHIT, I felt so weak, no saliva, dizzy as fuck all the time, couldn't breathe through my nose. I remember they'd give me more pills and i'd spit em out. It was utter torture, thank god my dad didn't want to send me meds cause he thought i was gonna get addicted to em XD.

Oh man, I remember when i was in rehab for the 2nd time they put me on 600mg Quetiapine a day. HOLY FUCKING SHIT, I felt so weak, no saliva, dizzy as fuck all the time, couldn't breathe through my nose. I remember they'd give me more pills and i'd spit em out. It was utter torture, thank god my dad didn't want to send me meds cause he thought i was gonna get addicted to em XD.

600mg? My man that's nonsense they had you on that high of dose. I took 100mg in the morning and 100mg at night, and that was pleeenty enough for me personally. I know they do go higher on it but that does seem extreme

Anti-psychotics can make it difficult to live a normal life honestly if they're not prescribed with absolute care and caution. They are way overprescribed, and now with aripiprazole as a popular adjunct with SSRIs it is only gonna get worse imo.

APs do help some ppl and ppl def need them I just think they should be a last resort med

My family tried many times to get the correct number of signatures to have me involuntarily committed. They would constantly call and have the police come do welfare checks.

No, I still have never forgave them for that.

Involuntary trying to force me to quit drugs was a waste of time.

When I was ready to quit, I did. On my own time and I made the decisions to set it all up and execute it, that's what I needed for myself.

It had to be something I wanted.

In the case of other mental illnesses, I would imagine this could vary considerably. This is just my personal experience with trying to be commited as mentally ill because of my addiction.

Weed and booze with the occasional festival goodies have been good for me. I mean, I'd rather do cocaine than booze, but they work so well together. ANd finding good coke in the country does not exist. Anyway, what I'm saying is not all bad came from the jail and hospital. I'm like a psychiatrist lawyer now because psychiatry is easy to pick up on and law due to the courts. I hope you are well, but it's trauma, or drama maybe.

I'm interested in hearing from people who have been involuntarily committed to a mental hospital for drug use / depression. Did you forgive the person who did it to you?

I'm thinking it might be the only solution for someone close to me but am worried about long term relationship damage. When I was a teenager I was pressured into going to rehab (not same thing) by some tough love from my parents and forgave them almost imediately I was sober. Bottom line is I know a seemingly suicidely depressed young adult i who is polydrug fucking themselves up to the point of blackout regularly and getting in all kinds of trouble as a result. No amount of talk from me or sharing of bitter experience from my own drug use seems to deter them.

Short answer is yes. They did what they thought was best. Do what you think you need to do to help them. They’ll understand when they are thinking straight.

My family tried many times to get the correct number of signatures to have me involuntarily committed. They would constantly call and have the police come do welfare checks.

No, I still have never forgave them for that.

Involuntary trying to force me to quit drugs was a waste of time.

When I was ready to quit, I did. On my own time and I made the decisions to set it all up and execute it, that's what I needed for myself.

It had to be something I wanted.

In the case of other mental illnesses, I would imagine this could vary considerably. This is just my personal experience with trying to be commited as mentally ill because of my addiction.

Can a hundred percent understand that too. Addiction crises and mental health crises can be handled differently.

Short answer is yes. They did what they thought was best. Do what you think you need to do to help them. They’ll understand when they are thinking straight.

Most states in the US won't even allow you to do this for addiction, without getting numerous signatures and doctors involved to get an order from a judge - which is extremely difficult unless there is solid evidence such as text messages or a voicemail or something with the person saying they want to harm themselves or others

It may be hard to swallow for some, but if someone is an adult - it's their life, they can do as they please.

And a lot of times people summarize drug use like that as "suicidal", when it may not neccesarily be.

It's really impossible for anyone to make an informed decision with knowing it only from one perspective...as they say there is three sides of a story, one for each person and then the truth somewhere inbetween.

I'm not saying this person doesn't need help, I'm saying tread lightly.

Can a hundred percent understand that too. Addiction crises and mental health crises can be handled differently.

Thanks for understanding. The thought of my own family trying to have me committed and imprisoned agaisnt my will still infuriates me. Especially with all the other judgemental behavior based on misinformation and ignorance of drug addiction.

I'm glad I live in a country with a judicial system that protected me from that nonsense.

As a matter of fact, at one point, they tried to use one of my text messages "I give up" which was clearly meant to mean I give up arguing with the person, as I was suicidal.

Police stormed my house for a welfare check and I had to be held there for three hours until a mental health person could come and decide if I should be admitted right then and there

They saw through it for what it was, and it honestly just made my family look horrible. The police and everyone else was upset to waste time and resources.

And I was furious for the lengths they were willing to go to try to get me committed, because deep down, they thought they knew best for me.

My husband at the time called the cops on me saying I was having an OD, I wasn't he was just mad because I got high. When the paramedics got there and started talking to me I could answer all of their questions, including reciting both my social security & driver's license # verbatim, ss# may be easy, but how many people know their DL# by heart? Anyways the paramedics Narcon'd me anyways which was the pits, when I got to the ER the doc on duty said there was no way I was an OD after talking to the cops who accompanied me, but I still ended up handcuffed to a bed for several hours before being shipped off to the local health department's mental health unit, i.e. local insane asylum where it was determined that I wasn't suicidal I was just a junkie and was sent on my happy way.
Hubby wasn't happy that I was gone less than 24 hours total, and it was never we something we ever talked about, or giggled about later, as in ".....remember the time you sent me to the insane asylum??? hehehehe" But he is dead, heart attack NOT OD which shocked everyone, so all in forgiven now, it is osrt of pointless to hold grudges against dead people.