• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Did anyone graduate recently? Come brag in here!

^going with option B for the time being (working in finance), but i definitely have some long term ambitions to go back for a PhD. likely something in the intersection of statistical computing and mathematical finance - i like to keep one toe in the theoretical side of the pool, so likely not going over towards engineering (but five years ago I was in research psychology, so who knows).

I just finished my last LL.M. in Taxation final today (a degree some people get after their law degree -- like a Masters in Law). I graduate in 2 weeks. :)

amy said:
I just finished my last LL.M. in Taxation final today (a degree some people get after their law degree -- like a Masters in Law). I graduate in 2 weeks.

congrats indeed!

congrats!!

i just finished my masters in applied math, and start work tomorrow as a quant. 3.8 GPA and the most senior member of my thesis committee said he was "intimidated" by my research.

three years ago i was an unemployed psych major living with my parents.

Whoa, I didn't know it was possible to go from a psych BA/BS to applied math MS in three years. Did you take a lot of math courses as an undergrad? Are you naturally gifted in math?

Whoa, I didn't know it was possible to go from a psych BA/BS to applied math MS in three years. Did you take a lot of math courses as an undergrad? Are you naturally gifted in math?

i got through calc II in high school, but really didn't do much math at all in college (aside from some intro stats courses necessary for my BS). once i decided to pursue math in earnest, i started off by taking upper-level undergrad/first-year grad courses as a part-time student. my grades in those classes (as well as a very strong GRE) were good enough to get me in to a master's program. and yeah i would say that math comes more naturally to me than most. i worked very hard to accomplish what i did, but i have to admit that natural ability had a lot to do with it as well.

Last edited:
High school dropout, woo!
One at a time, ladies. One at a time.

That is a pretty radical change in a short period of time. Right on dude.

All you guys with you MS make my BS look like, well bs.
Maybe I will go back to grad school considering that all my tuition and fees are paid if I go before 26.

5.5 more credits until I graduate. Less than a year and I'll have my B.Sc. In two months I'm applying to the BScN program in B.C, which is 3 semesters. I plan to paint my walls with degrees and certs.

Well I graduated from high school in July, hooray...uni here I come =D