• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Did anyone graduate recently? Come brag in here!

Jerry Atrick

Bluelight Crew
Although I successfully defended my Master's thesis, I have some loose ends to tie up before I graduate in August.....

Don't have the diploma yet, but I just finished my second associates. 8)

First was Humanities & Social Sciences. Second was Dietetic Technology.

Congrats!

I used to work in the kitchen at a nursing home and sometimes a dietician would drop by and talk to our manager. I never knew what they talked about though I'm sure it had something to do with the food we were cooking for the residents.

Heh, thanks.

I worked in a kitchen as part of my internship--I can almost guarantee you that the dietician was dropping by to talk about the resident's food with your manager. ;) What did you do in the kitchen? Dietary Aide work?

It's unfortunate I have no desire to go into the "traditional" DTR careers... :-/

I received my biochemistry B.S. I don't even like biochemistry anymore. Fuck, oh well.

Heh, thanks.

I worked in a kitchen as part of my internship--I can almost guarantee you that the dietician was dropping by to talk about the resident's food with your manager. ;) What did you do in the kitchen? Dietary Aide work?

It's unfortunate I have no desire to go into the "traditional" DTR careers... :-/

Yes, I was a dietary aide. Essentially a dishwasher who also acts as a foodserver. We always had to be careful because some residents are diabetic or have certain allergies or other food-related problems.

If you don't mind me asking, what sorts of "non-traditional" DTR careers are there?

If you don't mind me asking, what sorts of "non-traditional" DTR careers are there?
I don't exactly know, but apparently there are "a few out there" according to two professors of mine. When asked for specifics, they said I'd just have to look. 8) From my looking (though no extensive searching has been done yet :p), I've found that a DTR could work in independent practice, though they would have to work under an RD--Rather contradictory, don't ya think? ;)

I have done some searching on "food consultants" and that appears to be what I would be most interested in doing, but it wouldn't be a full-time job, just something on the side. And I'd be fine with that. I'm fine doing office work, and if my temporary position would only turn into a permanent one, I'd be all set. ;)

I don't exactly know, but apparently there are "a few out there" according to two professors of mine. When asked for specifics, they said I'd just have to look. 8) From my looking (though no extensive searching has been done yet :p), I've found that a DTR could work in independent practice, though they would have to work under an RD--Rather contradictory, don't ya think? ;)

Are you sure that working under an RD isn't temporary...kinda like an internship or something? Yeh, I'm talking about things I'm unfamiliar with. Either that or maybe they want you to work under an RD because they have more education.

I have done some searching on "food consultants" and that appears to be what I would be most interested in doing, but it wouldn't be a full-time job, just something on the side. And I'd be fine with that. I'm fine doing office work, and if my temporary position would only turn into a permanent one, I'd be all set. ;)

That's cool. Sounds like you know what you're doing.

Have you thought about going to grad school in a field that you would enjoy?

Yeah but I'm sick of school and tired of living like a student. Moneys not everything to me but I'm not interested in making $17,000 a year as a perpetual post-doc when I'm in my 30s. After seeing what happens to most of the grad students I know, I feel like it's a major mistake to shuffle along to grad school unless you need the degree for something in particular and are absolutely passionate about some narrow interest (which I'm not).

I'll probably either go into industry or teach or become addicted to heroin. My loftiest goal at the moment is making enough money to afford an apartment without a roommate.

Yeah but I'm sick of school and tired of living like a student. Moneys not everything to me but I'm not interested in making $17,000 a year as a perpetual post-doc when I'm in my 30s. After seeing what happens to most of the grad students I know, I feel like it's a major mistake to shuffle along to grad school unless you need the degree for something in particular and are absolutely passionate about some narrow interest (which I'm not).

I'll probably either go into industry or teach or become addicted to heroin. My loftiest goal at the moment is making enough money to afford an apartment without a roommate.

That's cool. I'm definitely not trying to pressure you into something you don't want to do. I should say, though, that not all grad school experiences are like the one you described. Grad school in the hard sciences is a different animal than other grad school programs. Even if you went into a 2 year Master's program in a social science, that would open a lot more doors.

But you are correct. If you're not sure what you want to be, grad school may not be a great idea. I went into grad school thinking I wanted to be one thing, participated in an internship during my last semester of coursework, and now I've completely changed my mind about what I want to do with my life. Fortunately for me, the Master's degree that I will have is something I can still use towards the career I have now chosen. YMMV.

^i believe this calls for a handle upgrade, and three cheers. well done, mate. :)

(about three months left before i become the one and only uni graduate in my fam, besides the wife).

You all can now address me as Dr. MDAO.

How about just M.D.AO?

Grats man, and grats to you too Jerry. One more year to go for this guy. Someone kick me in the ass and tell me to get to work on my summer course. I'm totally slacking.

Congratulations, M.D.AO. ;)

(about three months left before i become the one and only uni graduate in my fam, besides the wife).
I realized the other day that I'm the first in my immediate family to graduate college, let alone attend for more than a class or two.
Someone kick me in the ass and tell me to get to work on my summer course. I'm totally slacking.
*Kick* :p

Hardy-har-har =D

Thanks for the well-wishes, guys. Congrats on the masters degree, Jerry. (You might be interested in hearing that I'm considering a career in geriatrics.)

Thank you and congrats to you as well.

Geriatrics is definitely a growing field. Before I was a dietary aide at the nursing home, I helped as a volunteer in the recreation department. The people in this population have stories to tell and it was great being able to listen, if only for fleeting moments. Best of luck to you!

You all can now address me as Dr. MDAO.

congrats!!

i just finished my masters in applied math, and start work tomorrow as a quant. 3.8 GPA and the most senior member of my thesis committee said he was "intimidated" by my research.

three years ago i was an unemployed psych major living with my parents.

W, applied math is a very, very marketable degree. With those kinds of chops, any engineering PhD program (of any sort) would roll out the red carpet for you. Or you could just sign on with a financial or accounting firm and make money.