• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Diazepam Withdrawal

Here's an outrageous idea, but here me out: Why not go to detox and kick cold turkey?
I can't think of anything more inhumane. But, if you can point us all to some success stories going this route, I'd be interested in reading them.

Here's an outrageous idea, but here me out: Why not go to detox and kick cold turkey?

Here's an outrageous idea, but hear me out: Why not take a long fucking walk off of a short cliff? Its far less painful than cold turkey and can bring about the same possible end result - death.

I really hate it when people come in here with their stupid barbaric ideas... Even the detox places themselves are starting to reject benzodiazepine patients for short term "rapid" medically-assisted detox because of its failure rate and propensity to not only cause a relapse but to make it even harder for the patient to get off with a "proper" taper.

Sorry to hear that you're heading south Crampz. Don't make a cut - remember that some people take 14-20 days to feel a dose cut really kick in from diazepam. The half-life of diazepam + its metabolites can vary dramatically between people. You're going to have some level of discomfort no matter what but only you know what level you can handle. I agree with Gratuitous Grace.

I can't think of anything more inhumane. But, if you can point us all to some success stories going this route, I'd be interested in reading them.

I met a man in August with 17+ years of sobriety who did it this way. He said it was hell, but he did it. Any other questions?

I met a man in August with 17+ years of sobriety who did it this way. He said it was hell, but he did it. Any other questions?
Any *other* questions? I don't remember asking you a question. I did ask you to point us to success stories -- you know, the detailed kind that we could read and validate on our own. I was actually hoping that you'd have your own personal story to share. There's really nothing like hearing it from someone who's been there -- you know?

Anyway, given the pretty serious (potentially fatal) medical consequences of following your recommended route of quitting Benzos cold turkey, I'm not sure I'm going to credit "I met a man in August." Don't get me wrong: I'm happy for anyone who managed to free himself of Benzos in whatever way worked for him. I personally would need to know way more. But, someone might find that encouraging for sure! Thanks for your help. It was cool for you to post with suggestions and words of support.

Kicking cold turkey from benzos is absolutely not recommended... just like detoxing from alcohol. With those two withdrawals, the risk of seizures and other serious complications are great, hence why doctors set up tapers for their patients (Which can work very well by the way) or the individual checks into an inpatient detox facility where they are tapered there..

Chill out MrSquizz.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I think I am going to hold it for a few more days at 12.5mg because (and I probably should begin splitting the dose) I normally take the whole dose about an hour before bed, and today and yesterday, about three hours before im due to take it I feel very 'tense', almost like a pins and needles feeling all over my body and very mentally 'uptight', agitated might be a better word I suppose.

This is going to be awful :(.

[unfriendly words]
Nah ... just a troll. Going through some growing pains. He's upset because his boyfriend just went on vacation with some other guy or something. (Different thread.) He's taking it out on you.

Anyway, we were all that young and in love once. <3 He'll get over it. Good luck, squizz.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^

Whatever issues going on personally with a member, it is no excuse to lash out and post so immaturely and break forum rules.

^^^

Whatever issues going on personally with a member, it is no excuse to lash out and post so immaturely and break forum rules.

This.

It is especially bad when you're fucking with people who are actively in withdrawal...

@Crampz - I think I'm holding my dose too... I don't want to increase my Delsym dose and I'm definitely feeling the impact of the 2.5mg cut I made last week plus I made another 1.25mg this week... I was hoping to be down to 10mg on Sunday but I don't want this discomfort to get worse. I know what happens if I don't get to sleep when I'm in benzo withdrawal and its getting to the point where I'm up until noon, set my alarm for 2PM to take my dose then I go back to sleep til the evening hours. Ugh. What a nightmare.

The thing that sucks is that all of this is psychological. The physical is bearable... I actually started to get suicidal this morning, at least in thoughts. I can't really explain it. Its like I had no conscious will to harm myself but my mind was trying to convince me that I needed to die. Fucking weird.

I'm at 11.25mg currently.

I removed some inflammatory postings, let's be civil and play nice, yeah?

This.

It is especially bad when you're fucking with people who are actively in withdrawal...

@Crampz - I think I'm holding my dose too... I don't want to increase my Delsym dose and I'm definitely feeling the impact of the 2.5mg cut I made last week plus I made another 1.25mg this week... I was hoping to be down to 10mg on Sunday but I don't want this discomfort to get worse. I know what happens if I don't get to sleep when I'm in benzo withdrawal and its getting to the point where I'm up until noon, set my alarm for 2PM to take my dose then I go back to sleep til the evening hours. Ugh. What a nightmare.

The thing that sucks is that all of this is psychological. The physical is bearable... I actually started to get suicidal this morning, at least in thoughts. I can't really explain it. Its like I had no conscious will to harm myself but my mind was trying to convince me that I needed to die. Fucking weird.

I'm at 11.25mg currently.

I'm sorry, that sounds awful, I can relate to what you are saying though, I think I am following a similar schedule, did you go 15mg, 12.5mg, 11.25mg then you were planning on dropping to 10? From what you've said I agree, you shouldn't go any lower for a lil while. I doubt I am at your stage of suffering but I can totally relate to the suicidal feelings, I woke up this morning after a few hours sleep with stiff muscles and a racing mind kind of saying 'oh god, you may as well just kill yourself'. Nothing I would act on, but it was definitely there.

Sorry if you already said but have you tried green tea? I got the decaf version and that totally helped me out last night! Feel free to PM if you need someone to talk to, and I'm trying to think of it as 'you are heading in the right direction, you are taking less than you did before'. :)

Yeah I'll hit you with a PM later. My brain is too fried right now. Once I get some sleep I'll hit you up.

And yeah that's exactly what I did with my dose because I had two weeks where I held my 1.25mg cut... I wanted to make up the time but I don't think I can do that. So I'm going to slow down. I did some math and I've got extra Valium to play with. In fact my taper schedule was going to leave me one more full month's prescription of 120 5's so I might go to 10 day cuts instead. It seems like that's about when the cut hits me.

The psychological part of this is maddening though... It really makes you think you're going insane. I've never experienced anything like benzo withdrawal. At least I'm not hallucinating this time.

And nah, I haven't tried any tea... I couldn't drink it while I was on my prescribed dose so I'm not going to try it right now for sure lol.

I have a feeling I might end up posting over in TDS soon. I'm trying to avoid it because that negative thinking won't help but it might be a good support system.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I'll hit you up when I wake up later.

Hi everyone, I was hoping someone here could help...

After struggling with fucking benzis for about 2 years I have decided to make a proper attempt to get off them instead of some half hearted effort. I have been on them for just over 2 years.

Over the past couple of weeks I have given up drinking entirely (and I drank ALOT) and have reduced my diazepam from 20mg a day to 15mg (been on 15mg for the past week). I was thinking that I am going to lower my does to 12.5mg today and keep it at that for a week to 10 days, then reduce 2.5mg every 7-10 days until I am off it completely.

Is this a realistic plan? will I be likely to experience very unpleasant withdrawal effects? Thanks in advance for any advice/guidance/suggestions. I would really like to avoid a long, long taper if possible so any input much appreciated.

thanks guys.

Crampz.

yea man i have been on and off for nearly ten years currently lost it a bit and on 60-100mg diazaepam a day.. not fun altho ive only take 30mg but will need 20-35mg to come down of my stress/depression(they make that worse btw) and anxiety/panic... the easy part is getting down to the last 5-15mg for me but for u id say u will come out on top.. just remember when coming off these u will have negative feelings now its impossible for u to have a good thought and a bad feeling at same time and vice versa so if ur feeling bad check what ur thinking about and think of the opposite, the positive that helps too.. so does breathing in for 4 and out for 4, meditation works for some but my mind is too active for that keeping busy helps too and when in a negative or stressful environment just leave if possible no point in suffering. now u can expect a wide variety of withdrawal symptoms like mood swings, hot and cold, sweats, shakes, numbness, insomnia, depression even aggression etc. a good idea is google it.. now im not saying u will get all these effects as your on a relatively low dose in comparison to few i know but long term users can suffer from seizures if they stopped taking them immediately. id say ur plan sounds solid to me good luck, can i ask why are u taking them i was given them after an anxiety attack as a teenager and the emergency doc never told me the dangers, addictions and tolerance u build up within as little as a week to a month!are the ones u take prescribed? feel free not to answer that if that incriminates you.

PS DO NOT DRINK with benzos can be lethal combination, ive known people to be drunk take them and never wake up.. so its good to hear you stopped drinking, i stopped drink nearly three years ago two of the worst drugs ive taken alcohol and tobacco and also discus this with your doctor i know a lot from experience but im not medically trained, although ive been on so many pharmaceuticals over the years friends tend to come to me for advice with their ailments, anyway hope this helps but remember one thing.. "if u think u can or if u think u cant then your right "- Henry ford, so keep telling ur self even when u dont beleive it at times but keep telling ur self YES I CAN.. cant is no longer in your dictionary. good luck take care

Last edited:
i was given them after an anxiety attack as a teenager and the emergency doc never told me the dangers, addictions and tolerance u build up within as little as a week to a month!

That's when you know you hit the jackpot with the right doc!

Same here. Someone handed me a Xanax in an anxious moment. "Take this ... it'll calm you down." That moment was 14 years ago.

Yeah... In my case it was a doctor who gave me a script and I was extremely anxious that day so he told me to fill it and take one as soon as I got the script to see how I feel. That was almost 9 years ago.

Devilinsideme i am extremely worried about you. You say that you don't want OD but if you keep taking them to try n 'knock yourself out,' you may very well overdose. Also masking yourself with something will only delay the problem - not make it go away. And it's highly addictive. In my opinion I think up need some sort of professional help like therapy. Is there not anyone who could help you with your financial
Issues, mortgage etc?

All the best,
Evey x

well if i was wanting to get high then yea jackpot but unfortunatley at the time it was a medical emergency, and without the facts it left me dependent on them for 5 years solid.. ten on and off now

lazy poor quality docs that all.. purely into profit and patient management instead of helping them to change and get better shite system