• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Diazepam Withdrawal

Also, one last question, will my cognitive function return to 'normal' or how I was before I started abusing alcohol and benzos (which I have done for years) or have I fried my brain permanently?

Don't think about things like this, it's counter-productive.
Also I think you need to address the drinking issue a lot more seriously...(when asked "where r u with drinking at the moment? really not drinking?" - you replied "I havent gotten drunk in about 2 weeks, and I intend to keep it that way for the foreseeable future).

Sorry for being so blunt, but you gotta decide if you want to stop drinking or not.

The diazepam can be a life saver if you decide to stop drinking and use the diazepam to help with this - on the flipside........the diazepam can be a life taker if you continue to consume both substances.

^^ I answered the question that way because yes i do want to stop, but stopping for more than 3 or 4 months in a row is very difficult for me :( What is the deal with missing benzo doseages? Im really not sure how much I should take either because although im prescribed 20mg a day, i noticed ive got about 110 pills so I havent been taking 20mg a day but I was drinking an awful lot on top of that :( I'm confused and kind of stuck to be honest!

Good on ya for the 2 weeks without booze bub : ) Alcohol is so hard to kick for me because its everywhere and so many people drink. Its not like the dope house that you can just stay away from. Sorry I dont have any helpful information in regards to a taper but I know some encouragement shoudlnt hurt.

You put away 2 weeks, why dont you put away 2 months? Then after that, even bigger? Id pay to get this monkey off my back for even 2 weeks, if not just for the health issues, I cant even seem to make 2 days...

Why not get diclazepam, dissolve in propylene glycol and use a syringe to measure out daily doses to titrate down? Diclazepam is legal, cheap and readily available online, especially if you live in the UK. Or, if possible, perhaps one could dissolve diazepam from pills into propylene glycol, as alluded to above.

I don't know how well this would work but it's a start.

i noticed ive got about 110 pills so I havent been taking 20mg a day but I was drinking an awful lot on top of that :( I'm confused and kind of stuck to be honest!

You will substitute the one for the other ...... ie.. when you've had enough of the booze you will hit the valium, when the valium starts to run out you will hit the booze = endless cycle.

I honestly wouldn't attempt to give any advice on tapering, missing benzo doses etc. while both substances are "in play", I just wouldn't feel confident with my advice until the alcohol is out of the equation. Sorry.

I hope you understand.

I forgot to mention how I lowered my doses. Lets say I was at 8mg and ready to get down to 6mg. I would alternate days between 8mg and 6mg for almost a week before committing to the lower dose. So I would take 6mg during the day, and then take the last 2mg at night if I really needed to, which usually was every other day for the first week. You can also try taking 6mg during the day, and then 1mg at night and seeing if that will hold you, and if not taking the other 1mg. Then the next night try not to take anything after the 6mg dose during the day. Then you would do the same each time you lowered your dose.

I've been suffering with extremely severe depression for years. I had finally found a boyfriend who I feel was my soulmate. Didn't need antidepressants anymore however after talking about getting married and being so in love he decided "he's not good enough for me" which I think is a bullshit excuse. I've taken six 1mg Xanax and am still crying from the time I wake up til the time i go to bed (after taking several more Xanax til I pass out). I got laid off over a year ago and my unemployment has ran out. I have a bachelors degree and have applied to literally hundreds of jobs (even at the University I graduated from but apparently a degree from there isn't good enough to get a job there that only requires a HS diploma). My family (I only have my parents and two brothers who don't speak to me left in my family. I need advice on how many 1mg xanax I can take so I can sleep. I don't want to overdose I just want the pain to go away. I was planning on checking into a mental health facility but of course I don't have insurance and have been over drafting my bank account and going over my credit limits on my cards just to be able to pay my mortgage and utilities and get enough food so I don't starve to death and to buy my pets food and basic necessities. I'd end it all now if I didn't have a niece and nephew that love me even though they don't like me. I'm so lost that I'm feeling so hopeless and hurt. Anyone who can over advice on how many Xanax I can take at once would greatly be appreciated. I feel as though if I can't sleep my life away I will blow my brains out. Thanks for any suggestions as I will take it to ensure I don't do anything to hurt the people who so called love me. Please email me privately at [email protected] bc I'm new to this site and not sure if I will be able to find the responses. Again thank you to anyone who can help and I'm sorry about that rant.

This wouldn't work because of tolerance. If you found a dose that would knock you out it would begin to lose effectiveness, especially if you are taking that same medication during the day. You're going to have to face the music at some point. You can't just be taking xanax all day everyday, and then a bunch more at night to knock yourself out. Tolerance catches up with you and then you will be taking a bunch of xanax just to feel relatively normal, and then a bunch more just for a small amount of relief.

It takes a very large dose of xanax to overdose (considering you have no other CNS depressants [alcohol, opiates, etc] in your system) but without knowing your tolerance I don't want to recommend a dose for sleep.

A little more background on my tolerance. I typically don't take any Xanax. I occasionally will take one 1 mg if I'm having a panic attack but the past two days I have needed an extremely large amount just to stop from crying. I don't use any street drugs or alcohol. I don't understand how I can have basically no tolerance built up but require so much now to relieve the heartache. I'm at a loss.

A little more background on my tolerance. I typically don't take any Xanax. I occasionally will take one 1 mg if I'm having a panic attack but the past two days I have needed an extremely large amount just to stop from crying. I don't use any street drugs or alcohol. I don't understand how I can have basically no tolerance built up but require so much now to relieve the heartache. I'm at a loss.

Because Xanax is not for this purpose. It sounds like you may need a mood stabilizer, as much as I hate to recommend them. Xanax is a depressant. It may have a euphoric buzz that comes with it but it is a depressant which is not what you need.

I would seek out medical help as soon as possible. It is quite possible that you have a chemical imbalance that is causing your issues and your brain is latching on whatever it can (in this case Xanax) to try to restore stability. This situation is a case of diminishing returns and in the case of benzodiazepines it can turn into a deadly situation. Please seek out professional assistance. There are programs all over that allow you to get mental health services at no or low cost.

You will substitute the one for the other ...... ie.. when you've had enough of the booze you will hit the valium, when the valium starts to run out you will hit the booze = endless cycle.

I honestly wouldn't attempt to give any advice on tapering, missing benzo doses etc. while both substances are "in play", I just wouldn't feel confident with my advice until the alcohol is out of the equation. Sorry.

I hope you understand.

I'm going to be honest, I found this post a bit insulting. 'You will do this' or 'You will do that' comes across as somewhat presumptuous. How long do you consider it before 'alcohol is out of the question entirely'? Plus when asking this advice on how to sort my mess out, you are kind of saying 'I'm not going to give you any advice until you sort your mess out'. Sorry if this post comes across as abrasive but yeah, please don't make assumptions about what I will or will not do as if it is set in stone when you have never met me.

I'm going to be honest, I found this post a bit insulting. 'You will do this' or 'You will do that' comes across as somewhat presumptuous. How long do you consider it before 'alcohol is out of the question entirely'? Plus when asking this advice on how to sort my mess out, you are kind of saying 'I'm not going to give you any advice until you sort your mess out'. Sorry if this post comes across as abrasive but yeah, please don't make assumptions about what I will or will not do as if it is set in stone when you have never met me.

I think he meant that as a general statement, rather than direct. So in general, people will substitute one for the other, causing an endless cycle. And I agree that you really can't taper until you put down the alcohol for good. If you drink you will need more valium the next morning, and that messes with the taper.

^ I understand that, which is why I don't intend to drink anymore. I think getting off these stupid pills really needs to be done now, I have been on them far too long &drinking hasn't done my life much good so far so I'm quite happy to see the back of it :).

I haven't read the entire thread, but skimmed it. Another one for sleep, anxiety, and abdominal pain in my case is Amitriptyline if melatonin does nothing. I know this thread is about Valium but for fucks sake if you are on Xanax or a short acting benzo and your doctor tells you no when you ask for a valium taper please tell him to eat a fucking dick and walk out. Go find a doctor that knows these drugs. My doctor told me no to 30 10mg valium pills for one month - why would i switch you to a longer acting one her said? I explained and he said no, thats not how we do it here. He said they taper on a .25mg per week basis or cold fucking turkey it and put them on baclofen like alcohol addicts at the detox center in the hospital where is office was - fucking asshole. I'm printing him an Ashton Manuel and bringing it to my next appointment.

I was not happy, but I said okay because I had many left over pills. I was only on 1mg per day for 3 years or so. I took it at night for sleep and anxiety/panic. I did .25mg every 2 weeks or so until i was at .25mg. I did not have much WDs so far accept a little irritability and disrupted sleep. Then all of a sudden one night it felt like a hand reached into my back up into my intestines and pushed up on my stomach. I thought it was from the Xanax WDs immediately and put it off for a few days but it kept getting worse and worse to the point that I thought there was no fucking way this was from Xanax...I need surgery or some shit. I could not eat as my food was not digesting. My digestive track basically just froze from the shock. I barely could keep down gatorade and lost 15 lbs in a month. In this time I got a CT scan, upper GI, lower GI, x-rays, gastric emptying study because they thought I had gastroparesis which is an awful debilitating rare disease, and 3 blood panels. Doctors are clueless although my original GI told me to go back to my normal dose of Xanax. I did that but I was still fucked up from the time I ate lunch until i took my dose at night not being able to eat and burping all day long (like 500-1000 burps a day, no joke). Three days ago I decided to say fuck it and I took my nightly dose in the morning after breakfast and then again after dinner so doubled the dose temporarily. My symptoms have drastically improved and I think Xanax WDs are going to be the culprit after all this bullshit. If so I would like to hit my doctor in the face with my cock until valium comes out of his nose. I realize my receptors in my gut must be super sensitive and this is a rare case. I know people have GI problems when withdrawing, but my entire stomach and small intestine fucking froze basically. i seriously thought I either needed surgery or was going to live with a shitty debilitating illness like severe functional dyspepsie or idiopathic gastroparesis. I have spent days in the life of those people and really feel for them if I can fully recover without any nerve damage here. Xanax works great for occasional panic attacks, but fuck that shit for daily anxiety or insomnia use. Never did I think anything like this would happen. Im not even off them and opiate withdrawal is already a fucking joke.

Sorry to jack the thread a little, but just wanted to give a heads up to anyone withdrawing. Peace!

Last edited:
I think he meant that as a general statement, rather than direct. So in general, people will substitute one for the other, causing an endless cycle. And I agree that you really can't taper until you put down the alcohol for good. If you drink you will need more valium the next morning, and that messes with the taper.

Thx Tommyboy... Crampz, my post was not meant to be offensive in any way, and Tommyboy's post is exactly what I was trying to say.

Does this mean it is unlikely to return to normal? :(

Sorry again for missunderstanding me here, what I mean is that "a person" going through a life changing positive decision that is so difficult to carry out should try not to think about "possible" negative thoughts that could cause them to give up for a reason that probably won't happen. So when I say it's "counter-productive", I mean that the actual thought and the anxiety that comes with it makes the recovery process that much harder.
I'm not a doctor, and I don't know you, or your history, but I do know many ex-alcoholics and none of them have "fried their brains permanently" - I also know many active alcoholics who are destroying their brains by years of alcohol abuse but continue to drink, so I think worrying about this is "counter-productive" ......... hope you understand.

I'm sure it WILL return to normal, and your brain WON'T be fried.

Your posts seem pretty lucid, clear and sane - which seems pretty normal to me. That's why I typed the above sentence.

Nothing positive will come from worrying about it.

I'm on your side, I'm rooting for you and am not trying to insult you in any way.

^^ thank you for your reply and encouragement, it means alot :).

I know it is going to be extremely hard though, today I am going to a rave SOBER (I haven't been to a rave in about 8 years, this is a kind of one off since it is happening in our town and my old raving buddies wanted to go). It is going to be pretty weird being stone cold sober going to something like this!

Okay, this is starting to get 'not fun' already. Just a general kind of feeling... tense etc. I have had this feeling before so I know its def benzo withdrawal starting to begin from when I cut it to 12.5mg. I was going to cut it to 10mg in a couple of days, is this a bad idea since I've just started noticing it not feeling great 2 days before I am due to cut the dose again?

Please advise! To be honest I am so looking forward to an hours time when I can take a fucking dose!

thats awesome you are doing so well and thank you for the recommendation but unfortunately we do not have Delsym available over here :( *sigh* is diphenhydramine going to be okay for sleep?

Personally trazodone did nothing for me. Melatonin 10mg GNC has it. Take 2 of those and some benedryl. Or get doctor to prescribe baclofen 10mg or clonidine. FYI. So I wouldn't worry about using again, I got the naltrexone implant. No W/D physically at all even after 7 yrs of 300mg a day of 30s

Okay, this is starting to get 'not fun' already. Just a general kind of feeling... tense etc. I have had this feeling before so I know its def benzo withdrawal starting to begin from when I cut it to 12.5mg. I was going to cut it to 10mg in a couple of days, is this a bad idea since I've just started noticing it not feeling great 2 days before I am due to cut the dose again?

Please advise! To be honest I am so looking forward to an hours time when I can take a fucking dose!
I know "not fun" oh so well. Crampz, no one is going to come along and give you an award for finishing a Benzo taper quickly, right on schedule, or slowly. No one cares about the timeliness of it at all. What's at issue is comfort and eventual success. Maximize your chances and do this at the pace your own body dictates. There is absolutely no shame in taking this a little more slowly than you had planned. You get to make that call. What's to be avoided is making a cut too early, not being able to handle it, trying to reestablish yourself at your old dose, and finding out that even that isn't enough to bring comfort. Then you're going in the other direction.

Here's an outrageous idea, but here me out: Why not go to detox and kick cold turkey?