• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Depression and weed

When I started using pot I was pretty badly depressed and smoking weed made it a lot worse in the days and sometimes weeks after I'd last smoked.
A couple of years later and with the depression behind me I can smoke again and there's no signs of the depression coming back. I guess it's a case of 'set and setting'?

of course it can trigger depression. it can also trigger a lot of other stuff. manic depression, paranoia, psychosis. etc... what proof do i got? myself! + a lot of friends. but its from person to person.

When I started smoking I was pretty depressed and bored and using weed to escape. I would often get kicked in the ass for it, although I would also have a pretty good time sometimes.

I tend to feel introverted and slower the day after I smoke, and this effect increases if I smoke multiple days in a row. Now that I've gotten much more extraverted this isn't so much of a problem, but it definitely used to be.

Now I still receive ass-kickings, but they're much more of the psychedelic sort - showing me where I have to improve (and making me semi-miserable in the process - I mean, who wants to look at their shit?) rather than just making me miserable. The big difference ais that if I'm objective about it, I notice definite gradual improvements in my personality as a result of temporarily feeling shitty sometimes.

smoking even one hit of bud makes me depressed, paranoid and sends me into negative thought loops. I'm usually paralyzed, not physically, but I lack the will to do anything but stare at the wall and think depressing thoughts.

I've had chronic depression (with a few major depressive episodes and a few minor manic episodes) for around 9 years. I have been on a ton of different antidepressants (doc also suggested an antipsychotic as a mood stabilizer, but I declined, as the side-effects are way too ugly) and such. Weed (on a relatively regular basis) has been the only thing that has really kept me stable for the past year. I have had no major depressive episodes, no manic/anxious/paranoid states and far less anxiety in general. Interestingly, weed has made daily life a lot more livable. Unfortunately, it has its side effects. The worst for me is the soporific property of weed--I hate feeling tired or sluggish and hate the fact that I usually "nod off" after smoking up.

Smoking weed does change the way I look at EVERYTHING. In fact thats why im quitting, because I've totally forgotten who I was, and I'm too caught up making sense of everything about life and so on. Being high on ganja makes me realise how dumb things are around me and how pointless peoples lives and patterns are. I don't knw why but MJ just reveals the vanity of life.....it used to make me laugh but not anymore.

I don't like smoking early in the day because when the high wears off I feel ....

Not sure how to describe it but it's not good.

Almost everytime my high is going down I think depressing things . I think about having no future and stuff like that . Last night I laid in my friends room with the lights off fried and all I was thinking was depressing thoughts. I need to quit bc I really do think it's changing me worse then ever. Now I can't even have a conversation with my parents bc I always feel out of it and don't feel like talking.

Simple solution is to quit smoking and get your life on track.

I tend to notice negative traits in other people when I'm smoking with them, like when they listen to shitty rap music I just see them as idiots, it's so confusing how they even listen to that shit. I usually end up seeing some of them as cheap, shallow, egotistical people. It's all true for some of them, but I can usually ignore it.

Some people just don't have a mind to distinguish good music, especially when their tastes are formed by corporate fatcats trying to make quick money.
You could try and set an example for your friends who have inflated egos and are shallow but don't let them affect you. The most cliched but useful saying I know is "Live and let live."
But if you see them acting like an ass to people that doesn't mean to just let them put people down...

I always see negative shit about others, and about myself but I focus on their positives as I'm sure the people who put up with my shit at times do.

Smoking weed does change the way I look at EVERYTHING. In fact thats why im quitting, because I've totally forgotten who I was, and I'm too caught up making sense of everything about life and so on. Being high on ganja makes me realise how dumb things are around me and how pointless peoples lives and patterns are. I don't knw why but MJ just reveals the vanity of life.....it used to make me laugh but not anymore.

hey man same thing.. i cut down BIG TIME and i still get that, but im not gonna quit just yet.

I get depressed thoughts when i run out of weed...Ugh...lol
it seems like an easy ass concept ... keep on blazing...

Yesterday I had my worst pot related anxiety of them all. Since I downloaded some great episodes of the above lost I got the idea the only way to really enjoy the show is after smoked a really big joint so i got to my car and managed to get a gram of this weird purple looking strain. I was like wow.. this has to get me above and further to the clouds i have ever been :D so i rolled it all up in a big stux papered joint with some estrella chips next to my screen. Smoked it all and climbed back upstairs to my room when I realized I didnt buy dip sauce for my chips. Really it was disturbing, my brain went ??????????????????????

The next hour I stared at my chips tryin to figure out why I didnt buy the dip but luckily at the end of this session I came to the conclusion that chips without dip are not worth eating and managed to turn that thought into I can control the rain hahaha.. I guess weed is fun but it does that to you sometimes.

Started getting depressed even when high.
Used pills and pot far too heavily for a period of time.

Had a 3 week break from pot, then smoked again from Sunday-Tuesday night.
It was horrible. Completely unable to function. I don't remember anything at all from those days.

I don't think I can smoke pot anymore =(.

pot, like lots of psychedelics, has the tendency to sometimes bring underlying issues to the forefront of conciousness. This being said, its probably unwise to smoke when you're feeling down & out, not only because it may exacerbate things, but also because using any substance to escape negative feelings is not psychologically healthy

i've been a chronic depressive for 9+ years, and weed helps me.. a lot. more than any antidepressants i've ever taken. and, i'm sorry, but, feeling kind of sluggish and lazy sometimes is vastly preferable to the side effects i've had from anti-deps, stuff like, feeling completely apathetic and totally losing my sex drive... sativas seem to have less of the groggy burn out feeling afterward, and are just better mood enhancers (for me) in general. i still get depressed, sometimes, but i haven't been suicidal since i started smoking daily... and like, the main time i feel depressed/anxious is at work where i am always sober. so... i don't know. at this point i don't even care if i'm a stoner, better that than being so depressed i can hardly get out of bed, lol..

when i was very depressed (probably partly due to a 2 year XTC+ketamine binge) i couldn't smoke weed, it would give me depressive negative paranoid anxious feelings... but now i'm fine (ish)

i love it, just started

been smoking for a few months, it was my xmas gift to myself.

BEST

FEELING

EVER

i did have bad episodes the first 2 times but i realized that i still loved it, i fell in love with the thrill of letting all my emotions flooding through me, made a consciously high decision to smoke through it - never looking back :) and yes i'm high as fuck as i type this