Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Delta 8 THC - Chronic User - Look At Me, I Am the Captain Now

w01fg4ng

Bluelighter
Delta 8 THC - Chronic User - Look At Me, I Am the Captain Now
by w01fg4ng

I used delta-9 THC regularly for over 25 years prior to my delta-8 THC experiences. I’ve seen it all from brick weed to growing some of the most potent top-shelf in the world. I’m here to let you know why someone like me would settle for “weed lite.”

Due to complications with sourcing, I finished the rest of my delta 9 stash that I had managed to stretch out for over 3 years. This was the ultimate “I’m almost out and I need to pick up again” feeling I’ve ever had in my life. My only source for weed just kicked the bucket and I didn’t have much money. It was early in the year 2021 and there was a new compound online called delta-8 tetrahydrocannabinol. People called it “weed lite.” It looked too thick for distillate. It was messy and difficult to work with. I said fuck it and took some fat ass dabs anyway. It was slightly more harsh than delta 9 and my dab rig clogged up after only a few dabs. This was…different.

A minute passed by and a rush feeling of relief showered over me. It was the feeling I was after. I felt high on weed. More importantly, I felt medicated. The high peaked, without any feelings of anxiety that sometimes accompanies a delta-9 high, and a slow come down gently returned me to baseline.

The Delta Conversion

Determined to overcome the harshness and viscosity of the distillate, I continued to try various products and methods of consumption.

My first creation was hash (Fig 1). By simply using CBG kief and delta 8 distillate at roughly a 1:1 ratio, I pressed my own hash that I smoked. It wasn’t as harsh as the straight distillate so I continued using it for a few weeks. The smoke itself was uninviting and it stained my teeth quicker than anything I had smoked before. I decided that I wasn’t getting high enough and the hash smoke was too harsh and so my next project began.

I then made diamond sauce for dabbing (Fig 2). I simply used CBD isolate and delta 8 distillate at roughly a 1:1 ratio. I tried various terpenes and impressed myself by adding cannabis derived terpenes (CO2 extracted) to make the dabs taste exactly like regular delta-9 dabs. I was happy, or at least much happier dabbing this product than my hash. It was a lot smoother than the raw delta 8. It reminded me of regular dabs, just like the old days.

(Figure 1)
M9p23wZ.jpeg

(Figure 2)
aznOVrU.jpeg

I had stopped using delta 9 THC at this point. Delta 8 completely replaced it. I continued to dab for several months, going over a gram a day without even noticing. I was converted, however the amount that I was using became a chore, even if only slightly more than delta 9 THC. I was tired of constantly loading up the dab rig just to get my medication. I considered making pods/carts as I had done that with delta 9 but the issue of constantly vaping all day wasn’t sitting right with me. I needed a large medical dose and my lungs were tired of doing all the work. It was time to make another major change in my life and stop smoking/vaping all together.

I had made a green dragon recipe about a decade ago so I figured I could make an updated version of an old recipe. Using Everclear and delta 8 distillate at a 1:1 ratio, it was too easy. It completely dissolved in a few hours without heat and I had made my first tincture with little to no effort. However, I was quickly tired of having alcohol in my diet so I moved onto a new recipe using MCT oil.

The new recipe required heat but otherwise was just as easy as the alcohol recipe, using similar ratios. I was able to produce several MCT oil tinctures for consumption (Fig 3). I used this tincture regularly for several months before running into diarrhea as a side effect from the amount of MCT oil. I had a few ideas to make the side effects less noticeable or non-existent, and they worked! The first thing I did was make my tinctures more potent, ingesting less MCT oil in my diet. The second thing I did was lower the amount I was taking and take breaks more frequently. Finally, the last effort to combat this side effect was to not take the oil by itself, but to take it with food, i.e. make edibles.

The edibles I made took slightly longer to kick in but they always hit slightly harder and lasted longer than tinctures. They were a better bang for my buck. I typically made biscuits. They were easy to make by simply adding the tincture oil to the biscuit after cooking them so all the doses were as accurate as possible (Fig 4). My edibles were not sweet or unhealthy as I typically consumed them everyday and did not want to ruin my health. I still enjoyed using delta 8 recreationally but my main focus was to use it medicinally.

(Figure 3)
pr1Uu5U.jpeg

(Figure 4)
M0s7Xv3.jpeg

Medical & Recreational Values, Side Effects and Withdrawal

Delta-8 worked slightly better than delta-9 at increasing my appetite. It also worked slightly better for my sleep and insomnia issues. I received a few more giggles on delta 8 than I typically got with delta 9. It was consistently more “fun.” I was also able to use delta 8 in a social setting more easily than delta 9. Delta 8 and delta 9 worked roughly the same for countering my depression, anxiety and pain issues. Prices are drastically different, however.

Coming from a medical scene dating way back to 2010 in Colorado, I’ve watched prices plummet for regular weed as much as 90% as the industry took off. I thought I was going to have to wait for those prices again after moving to an illegal state but I was happy to discover that delta 8 is a lot more affordable than delta 9 ever could be. Even at my worst, I never spent more than a dollar a day on delta 8. The money was the least of my problems related to side effects.

Short term memory loss on delta 8 was comparable to that of delta 9 THC. Loss of motivation issues has also been on par with delta 9. Anxiety rebound issues were not as pronounced on delta 8 but they do exist. I had exactly one anxiety attack after consuming 1.5 grams of delta 8, so I discontinued using that amount. Dehydration issues were more pronounced on delta 8 than they were on delta 9, which led to more headaches and more severe headaches. Increasing water intake was a necessity. Tolerance built at roughly the same pace as delta 9 and withdrawal was only slightly easier to cope with.

Sleep issues occurred during the first few nights of sobriety but it was easily manageable. Anxiety and depression occurred somewhat but they tended to linger longer than the sleepless nights. Overall, delta 8 was easier to deal with withdrawal but ultimately what made withdrawal easiest was using edibles. Edibles took the longest to get out of my system, essentially making the drop off a lot smoother than smoking or vaping ever provided. Edibles produced a natural “taper,” if you will, it’s a gentle way to come down. Detla-8 THC edibles were the answer I was looking for in every way possible.

Closing Thoughts

I still enjoy the intricacies of cannabis only a connoisseur could appreciate but I no longer obsess about them. I still go through withdrawals but it’s easier and it no longer puts me in debt or jail. I still love getting high but it’s not the highlight of my day. I still get high all day but I don’t waste it fucking around with paraphernalia. I still consume medicine but it no longer consumes me.

Tagged by Xorkoth
substancecode_delta8thc
substancecode_cannabinoids
explevel_retrospective
exptype_positive
roacode_oral
roacode_vaporized
roacode_inhaled

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the thorough write-up, lots of information here. I tend to agree that oral delta-8 is the way to go. Some aspects of it come out when you eat a sufficient dose that you don't experience when you smoke it.

I'm with you I love traditional cannabis products with delta 9 in a social setting or to enjoy a movie or something, but I'm amazed at how much of a worse fit it was for me as a daily thing

Delta 8 leaves me without such intense memory impairment

Intense rushes of emotion followed by apathy is how I generally feel about modern high potency cannabis (delta 9 is a roller coaster of passion and excitement followed by dense apathetic sedation)

Delta 8 is a much more reliable and easy going substance

I enjoy having it on hand but I feel like it has less punch and so do enjoy the return to traditional cannabis on occasion, it is much better with a wait in my opinion, I'm happy to have d8 to fill in the cracks so to speak

Damn. I am just starting my journey with these "weed-like" substances.
Teenty five years plus...? I had no freakin clue this stuff was even a thing til about a year ago maybe? The only other experience with ither than weed is a very short affiliation to spice whatever that was. A coupla wierd thoughts while on that shit turned me off.
This stuff is nice so far. Cheap, fairly consistent within a brand and easily obtained.
What a noob i am. lol A fuckin babe.
Thanks for the time and energy devoted to posting this. Interesting.
Peace

Thanks for the thorough write-up, lots of information here. I tend to agree that oral delta-8 is the way to go. Some aspects of it come out when you eat a sufficient dose that you don't experience when you smoke it.
I've read that when you eat Delta 8 it metabolizes into 11-OH-Delta 8 THC. Just like Delta 9 to 11-OH Delta 9 THC.

Potency wise 11-OH-THC of either isomer is purported to be more potent.

Interesting. Also interesting is that you do not have to decarboxylate delta-8 THC before eating it (or delta-10 THC). You can just eat the distillate raw. Whereas with delta-9, you have to decarb it.

Interesting. Also interesting is that you do not have to decarboxylate delta-8 THC before eating it (or delta-10 THC). You can just eat the distillate raw. Whereas with delta-9, you have to decarb it.
I just looked up the reason for this again.

Apparently marijuana has THCA and CBDA in it and heat converts them into THC and CBD. So either an oven for edibles or fire for smoking.

I knew THC-A converted to THC when smoked, but most weed only has a little bit of THC-A (though there are "hemp" strains bred now that have up to 16-18% THC-A and are sold legally to bypass the illegality that still exists in some states), but most weed contains straight delta-9 THC as its main cannabinoid, until recently THC-A was a minor cannabinoid in all weed flower. But it still needs to be decarboxylated.

Can agree that delta 8 wax/shatter/sugars all fuck up my lungs waay more than delta 9 does.
It would also be nice if it was a little longer lasting. I find myself needing a hit of it every 15-20 minutes. Some times sooner.

However, it gets old having to 'break the law' to medicate, doesn't it? So I use what works when I can.

Yeah it definitely is really rough on the lungs. So is delta 10.

You ever try eating delta 8? It lasts a long time and is way better. And doesn't fuck your lungs up

i may be in the minority/just me but eating or vaping it over a few days, i start to get shaky/noticeable GABA rebound like effects. that's the only think i can liken it too. energy/mania on a physical level and tremors/tachycardia.

I've definitely never had that from d8 or any cannabinoid. But I know your GABA system has been quite damaged, and mine has not, so I know you're very sensitive to all of that.

yeah it doesn't seem to be a usual reaction. but as you say, seems like a leaf falling wrong in japan will eff me all up. if we have anyone following the thread that perhaps deals w epilepsy or another seizure disorder and uses d8, id be very interested to hear their experience. Every couple of months i think i must be imagining it (this happened over last 5 days) and ill start using 50-60mg at night for sleep help orally. im two days out of it right now and yesterday night was weird, but i've repeated this pattern at least 10 times now of starting using it, being like "This is great!" then three or four days later having to stop after noting mounting rebound/weird effects

D8 is fabulous and functional when ingested orally. When you figure out what dosing works for you it can be super easy-going and enjoyable in small doses, but can give you a great and less anxious, more intense experience that can be rather heady at higher doses. Vaped, I find it lackluster, but orally? The tincture is great.

On a side note, THC-O is also super nice orally and like d8, small doses can make for a very pleasant and subdued experiences with long legs. And both are cheap, overall. 2000 mg of D8 can be had for 30 bucks (SS), and THC-O is slightly more pricey at about 40 bucks for 2500 mgs. In my mind, it might as well be free at that cost. I think that some people are so married to flower and vaping that they tend to underestimate things like these but I say get it while the getting is good. At some point, they won't be so available if I were to speculate about such things. But right now, they are easy to find, HQ, and again...pretty cheap. Both are capable of providing what you are looking for up to including getting your ass handed to you if you get carried away. Kinder and gentler overall, imo.

Some aspects of it come out when you eat a sufficient dose that you don't experience when you smoke it.
For sure. I find it to be more of an indica-downer type vibe when smoked/vaped, but when I eat it via edibles or a tincture, it gets psychedelic, heady, and physically heavy in a different way.
Intense rushes of emotion followed by apathy is how I generally feel about modern high potency cannabis (delta 9 is a roller coaster of passion and excitement followed by dense apathetic sedation)
Couldn't put that better myself lol. Regular weed has a 'crack-like' aspect to it, where you get a rush that wanes rapidly and is replaced with sadness/apathy. The up-down process with d8 seems far less intense, which I think lends greatly to it being the more sociable of the two.
I find myself needing a hit of it every 15-20 minutes. Some times sooner.
Same. I find myself using a lot of d8 if I let myself vape, especially if I start early and use it when I'm consuming media (games, movies, tv). I can go through a 1mL cart in a few days easy if I don't watch it.

On a side note, THC-O is also super nice orally and like d8, small doses can make for a very pleasant and subdued experiences with long legs. And both are cheap, overall. 2000 mg of D8 can be had for 30 bucks (SS), and THC-O is slightly more pricey at about 40 bucks for 2500 mgs. In my mind, it might as well be free at that cost. I think that some people are so married to flower and vaping that they tend to underestimate things like these but I say get it while the getting is good. At some point, they won't be so available if I were to speculate about such things. But right now, they are easy to find, HQ, and again...pretty cheap. Both are capable of providing what you are looking for up to including getting your ass handed to you if you get carried away. Kinder and gentler overall, imo.

Are you in the US? Are you getting it from shops? I don't want to get into price discussion or sourcing, but just wanted to let you know, you can get it for WAYYYY cheaper than that, in bulk online. Carts are marked up tremendously. You can make your own.

I am referring to the tincture which is generally more expensive. As a result, I do not buy carts or other vapable forms. Just tincture. THC tinctures from dispensaries follow suit, and 2 or 3 thousand mgs in tincture form from such places is way more expensive than either an equal amount of d8 or THC-O.
The ones I am referring to are online and well known sites for such things. And yes...in the US.