View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

death by mushrooms

deviate

Bluelighter
i read in another thread about someone's friend ODing and dying from 22 grams of mushrooms. i just wanted to bring some attention to this because i feel that people on bluelight tend to vastly overstate the physical safetly of mushrooms and other psychedelics. i've read many posts saying that overdose is impossible. that you would need to eat over your body weight in mushrooms to have a chance of dying. to me it seems like there is real danger at far lower doses. similar with LSD. i've read many posts claiming you would need to ingest thousands of hits to risk death but if you take one hit to be 150 micrograms the LD50 comes out to only 80 hits (according to erowid). now i'm not trying to say that overdose is real danger from psychedelics (22 grams of shrooms and 80 of acid are much more than people typically consume) but i am wondering why people exagerate their safety so much. do any of you have friends who have suffered any health problems from high doses of psychedelics and if so could you share what happened?

Just to add, it was my friend that died from eating 22 grams of shrooms. He did it on purpose to kill himself. (We know this because he wrote a note before hand and had it in his pocket)

He consumed nothing other than the 22 grams of shrooms that night and he didnt come out of it alive. He was 5'4" 102 lbs, 13 years old.

I know that it says on erowid that you must eat your own body weight in fresh shrooms to OD, but apparently this is not always the case.

^ maybe the dealer was an idiot and picked the wrong mushrooms and besides wtf are 13 year old kids doing tripping?

No, because i tripped on the same shrooms that night. We bought them from the same person.

22 grams of what kind of shrooms, i.e. where they grown, picked, or bought off the street? If grown, what species of shrooms?

How do you know for sure shrooms were the only thing he ate?

What did the coroners report say about the cause of death?

I know that that was the only thing he had ingested that night because his mom told me that the toxicology report (or coroners report wtf ever u wanna call it) only showed the active chemicals in shrooms in his body (dont feel like gettin all technical with names). She told me that it said it was from an overdose on shrooms. I dont know exactly what it said on the report, im going by her words.

Also i have no clue about what kind/where grown, so yes it may sound stupid on my part for munching on the same ones since i didnt even know if they were legit, but this was before i found this site. (not that that is an excuse or anything)

Last edited:
Which is why i said i dont feel like getting all technical with names.

I also meant to have an s on the chemical... it should be chemicals.. ill go back n edit it

i have no clue about what kind/where grown, so yes it may sound stupid on my part for munching on the same ones since i didnt even know if they were legit, but this was before i found this site. (not that that is an excuse or anything)

Well the short answer is yes you can die from shrooms if you eat the wrong kind of shrooms. If you buy shrooms off the street or eat picked shrooms you might not get the right kind, or you may get good shrooms with a few bad one's mixed in.

I know that that was the only thing he had ingested that night because his mom told me that the toxicology report (or coroners report wtf ever u wanna call it) only showed the active chemical in shrooms in his body (dont feel like gettin all technical with names). She told me that it said it was from an overdose on shrooms. I dont know exactly what it said on the report, im going by her words.

Well thats third hand information. I can't do much with that. It doesn't say how it killed him, i.e. liver failure, heart failure, etc. nor is it saying what chemical.

Still, I'm sorry to hear this.

Third hand information FROM HIS MOM. Do you really think that a mom that has just lost her youngest child is going to tell some bullshit lies that her son died from an OD on shrooms? If it wasnt true why would she be telling me that? So that it would make him look like a druggy? I dont think so. She was telling me because i asked and im very close with their family.

I'll ask her tomorrow when i see her so i can get the real truth. I'll update on it tomorrow.

Well that is an extreme dose... his ego would have been ripped to shreds at 1/5th that dose. Perhaps at the dose he took he was given a choice between true life and true death.

If he ate them as an attempt to commit suicide... perhaps such a high dose of mushrooms actually *allowed* him to do so.

Nothing in that you can ingest is inherently safe. Just because 99.9% of people can ingest something and suffer no ill effects means nothing. No one can say for certain what effect an organic substance will have until it is tried by the individual.

I have a friend with an allergy to peanuts. He ate a cookie that had chopped up peanuts in it. His throat swelled, he almost suffocated and he ended up in emergency care in the hospital. How many peanuts would it take to kill someone with no allergy to them? Does this mean that peanuts are underestimated with regards to their toxicity?

This is only one example, but you can apply it to about anything that you ingest. Legal or illegal really doesn't make a big difference when you are dealing with practical experience. No one can really say how much of something will kill you, but based on the evidence it would take much more than twenty-two grams to kill someone with no allergy to any chemical, psychoactive or not, found in hallucinogenic mushrooms.

I don't mean to depersonalize or take away from the tragic death of your friend, but based on anecdotal evidence he may have been one of the unlucky 1 in 1,000,000 who had an allergy to some chemical(s) found in hallucinogenic mushrooms. Who's to say it was even the psychoactive chemicals?

And just to clear things up if any of you were thinking that he did the shrooms and then killed himself, thats not how it happened. It was the shrooms themselves. Just wanted to clear that up just in case anyone thought that.

Yes that is a very extreme dose too. I have never heard of anyone else taking that large of a dose all at once.

But as i said, i will talk to his mom and find out exactly what it was (liver failure, heart failure, respiratory failure, blah, blah)..

whatever it is ill find out and update yall.

vancbc- That just may be what killed him, he may have had an allergy, but we will never know that now.

Im glad i didnt find out that night that he killed himself cause i was tripping that night also, and i would probably have been screwed up in the head for life....

bluedolphin said:
Well that is an extreme dose... his ego would have been ripped to shreds at 1/5th that dose. Perhaps at the dose he took he was given a choice between true life and true death.

If he ate them as an attempt to commit suicide... perhaps such a high dose of mushrooms actually *allowed* him to do so.

Quite a profound speculation. :D

Very sorry to hear about this death.
Are there any media reports?
wtf are 13 year old kids doing tripping?
My thoughts too; and sad that a 13 year old would be suicidal.
similar with LSD. i've read many posts claiming you would need to ingest thousands of hits to risk death but if you take one hit to be 150 micrograms the LD50 comes out to only 80 hits (according to erowid).
Where did you see this information on erowid? The only LD50s for LSD I've seen listed relate to various rodents and birds and these very widely. (I don't believe an LD50 for humans has been established).

80 hits @ 150 ug each comes to 12mg. There are many unofficial reports and rumors of people taking considerably more than 12mg of LSD (sometimes intentionally and sometimes not) and no deaths that I am aware of.

Of course psilocybin and LSD are different substances.

Has it even been established that the mushrooms the boy ate were infact psilocybin mushrooms?

Yes, i have stated that i ate the same shrooms he did and i tripped off of them. We bought them the same night from the same person.

They also found Psilocybin in his body, im guessing, because his mom told me that they were magic mushrooms and she found out from the coroners office or whoever.

Psychedelics Encyclopedia
Peter Stafford
p.70
"For those concerned about immediate medical hazards in ingesting LSD...Abram Hoffer has estimated, on the basis of animal studies, that the half-lethal human dose--meaning half would die--would be about 14,000 [ug]. But one person who took 40,000 ug survived. In the only case of death reportedly caused by overdose (Journal of the Kentucky Medical Association), the quantity of LSD in the blood indicated that 320,000 ug had been injected intravenously."

For the 320 mg of LSD injected intravenously under the mistaken idea it was speed (this killed the user and appears to be the only instance of death by LSD overdose), the reference is: Journal of the Kentucky Medical Association 75: 172-173

Im done talking about this incident for the moment.. its bringing back too much stuff for me to want to think about right now. I still will update you on what his mom says but thats it. Im done talking about this. Sorry.

Last edited:
Here's what I think happened: Shrooms increase body temp and increase persperation. He might have become highly dehydrated and his body just gave out. Plus he was 13 years old and didn't weigh that much.

Man, I don't want to seem cold hearted, but I am not worried about the death, what I am worried about is what his mind was going through at the time. That many shrooms would create hell on earth. Rest in peace kid.

I can understand you getting sick of talking about that mrsumone...

I'm on the fence; One I ingested tea made from, I don't know exactly, around a super-market bag full of mushrooms (P. semilanceata), to about 2L of water. This was some strong tea, one guy had like a sip, and he got trails and moving walls. Me and one other had 2 cups. The resulting experience was fucked, (It was also worse because we had both given blood that day). The other person stoped breathing for a bit, there was massive para-sympathetic action (mucous, saliva, tears flowing).

Now I strongly doubt that that was due to too much psilocybin, but its possible that trace chemicals in some mushrooms that in a normal dosage would be non-toxic, but at such a high dosage started to cause some serious problems, or that there is a toxic shroom that looks like semilanceata, and it might normally get picked one out of 20 real semilanceata, but when your eating crap loads, you get enough of it to fuck with you...

I don't know... but I agree with the sentiment in the OP; people need to respect the fact that hallucinogens can be life threatening.

My condolences to the family and friends.

I can understand the desire to post a warning about the situation, but to declare substance xxx was the cause of death is totally unsubstantiated. So many variables are unknown to make such a statement. (based on the information provided so far)

Maybe the mother didn’t want to share all the details with her son’s friend? (especially if the friend is in the same age group, and/or the mother is aware they bought shrooms together that night)
Maybe there were other known/unknown medical conditions involved?
Maybe he was under doctor’s care? (IE: for depression or other psychological issues)
Maybe the mother is not emotionally prepared to discuss, in detail, the cause of death with non-family members?
Maybe the mother is not intelligent enough (no offense intended) to completely understand a corners report?

mrsumone, I think you will have to agree that you don’t know every detail of your friends life. Add that to questionable second hand coroners report information and we really don’t have any hard facts to go on.

IMO, it’s very plausible he was under a doctor’s care for depression or some other psychological issues and did not share this information with you. (you both went to buy shrooms from the same dealer, tripped the same night, but you had no clue he was suicidal? – there are segments of this persons life you aren’t aware of)

Taking psyilocybin containing mushrooms while on an MAOI can dramatically increase the effects of the experience. MAOIs are most commonly found in the prescription anti-depressants Nardil (phenelzine), Parnate (tranylcypromine), Marplan (isocarboxazid), Eldepryl (l-deprenyl), and Aurorex or Manerix (moclobemide). Ayahuasca also contains MAOIs (harmine and harmaline). Check with your doctor if you are not sure whether your prescription medication is an MAOI.

¾ oz shrooms + maoi’s + 13 yrs old body This seems to be a more conceivable scenario.

Psychedelics Encyclopedia
Peter Stafford
p.70
"For those concerned about immediate medical hazards in ingesting LSD...Abram Hoffer has estimated, on the basis of animal studies, that the half-lethal human dose--meaning half would die--would be about 14,000 [ug]. But one person who took 40,000 ug survived. In the only case of death reportedly caused by overdose (Journal of the Kentucky Medical Association), the quantity of LSD in the blood indicated that 320,000 ug had been injected intravenously."

For the 320 mg of LSD injected intravenously under the mistaken idea it was speed (this killed the user and appears to be the only instance of death by LSD overdose), the reference is: Journal of the Kentucky Medical Association 75: 172-173

As per Erowid, http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/lsd/lsd_dose.shtml
Hoffer’s numbers seem to be in question and Ott proclaims “no danger of death or injury from LSD” Anyone can speculate, go with the facts. Almost no one in roughly 60 years has died from an LSD overdose.

@ 100 micrograms (ug) per hit, 14,000 micrograms = 140 hits (almost 1 ½ sheets)
@ 100 micrograms (ug) per hit, 40,000 micrograms = 400 hits (4 sheets)
@ 100 micrograms (ug) per hit, 320,000 micrograms = 3,200 (sheets)

I think anyone on the planet would expect to die if they knew they just shot 3200 sheets in their arm. Here are a couple sections of the official report:

In the present case, a careful dissection revealed
no gross anatomic cause of death. Hence,
it appears possible that this man expired from
CNS-mediated respiratory arrest due to the direct
toxic effect of massive LSD overdose.

Says ITS POSSIBLE he died due to the effect of an LSD overdose.

Apartially clothed 34-year-old male was observed
while engaged in bizarre behavior,
and was subsequently accosted during an
attempted break-in in November, 1975. He fled
the scene and was found dead in a deserted
warehouse, one month later. An autopsy was
performed to ascertain, the cause of death.

Wonder if he lived for a month after injecting the cid.