• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

DEA details path of deadly heroin blend to N.E.

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
Potent painkiller fentanyl believed added in Mexico

Nearly all the heroin that has plagued New England with fatal overdoses in recent months is produced in Colombia and shipped to Mexico, where authorities believe drug cartels add the painkiller fentanyl to make a potent combination destined for the United States, the region’s top drug enforcement official said.

Ruthless drug organizations are including fentanyl, an opioid 30 times more powerful than heroin, to provide a new, extreme high for addicts who often are unaware the synthetic painkiller has been added, said Michael Ferguson, acting special agent in charge of the New England division of the Drug Enforcement Administration.

“They’re in business for one reason and one reason only. They’re in business to make money,” Ferguson said of the drug lords producing the concoction. “If you mix fentanyl in with the heroin, it’s there for one reason — to make it more powerful.”

In an interview with The Boston Globe last week, Ferguson provided an unusually detailed depiction of the journey that fentanyl-spiked heroin takes before landing in New England.

After being laced with fentanyl, the drug mix is smuggled across the border to traffickers in the United States, Ferguson said. Some of those traffickers drive more than 2,000 miles from New England to the US Southwest border and return directly with the drugs to cities such as Boston, Hartford, and Providence, he said.

Ferguson did not rule out that some fentanyl is added to heroin after it reaches the United States, but said the agency had uncovered little evidence of that.

Once in New England, heroin and its fentanyl-laced version are parceled out to dealers in smaller cities, in affluent suburbs, and in isolated towns. To reach those communities, the Colombian and Mexican drug organizations funnel heroin through contacts in “virtually every major city and town in New England,” Ferguson said.

Although drug users have become more aware of the dangers of fentanyl-laced heroin, many addicts desperate to ease the pain of withdrawal do not care about the consequences, substance-abuse workers say.

And for other drug users, the thrill of a fentanyl-propelled high is a lure in itself.

“They’re chasing the ultimate high, and if it happens to be heroin that is mixed with fentanyl, then so be it,” Ferguson said. “They’re willing to risk using that heroin with very serious consequences.”

(...)

Another concern is that many users no longer regard injecting heroin as a shameful symbol of addiction. “We’re losing the grip on that stigma,” Ferguson said.

(...)

“An issue like this is a public health issue,” he said. “It has to be addressed by education, treatment, and law enforcement as well.”

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...html?rss_id=Top-GNP&google_editors_picks=true

fent sends opiate tolerance up really quick and the heroin isn't going to be as good once the fent rush dies down (half lives)so it'll make use more compulsive and with a much worse withdrawal

I still don't understand the point of lacing heroin with fentanyl. Why not just sell fentanyl and not worry about adding real heroin at all? Fentanyl is far less expensive.

^Banging back fent is lame.. dose to face plant on the floor to wake up jonesing. So I would guess they want the H because its half life is longer and it actually produces euphoria.

Some Mexican drug thugs can be such animals.. good thing we have all those laws to make them rich and even more greedy.

Another concern is that many users no longer regard injecting heroin as a shameful symbol of addiction. “We’re losing the grip on that stigma,” Ferguson said.

Well it's about fucking time.

It's too bad that our skin, flesh, and organs aren't transparent, because perhaps it would seriously stigmatize the pruning of an alcoholic's liver, or the charring of a smoker's lungs.

“An issue like this is a public health issue,” he said. “It has to be addressed by education, treatment, and law enforcement as well.”

Not the kind of "law enforcement" that the DEA likes to employ.

You're all a bunch of oppressive two-faced tyrants who abuse your power, and don't deserve to be in business anymore, because that's what this is to a you: a damn business. And, the ruining of countless lives due to your twisted pleasure of looting property that isn't yours has become your sick little game.

The sooner the DEA ceases to exist, the better. Ass hats.

^ You said it, ro4eva!
Those same two quotes got me thinking along similar lines.
I was surprised to think that they were purposely using negative bias and stigma as part of the war against drug users, but then again not really. :(

I still don't understand the point of lacing heroin with fentanyl. Why not just sell fentanyl and not worry about adding real heroin at all? Fentanyl is far less expensive.

As someone who has used a decent bit of heroin and had a little bit of fent in a medical setting I can tell you there is a huge difference in the euphoria between both drugs, honestly fentanyl felt pretty fucking weird to me and as someone who is used to traditional opiates (codeine, morphine, oxycodone and heroin) I could of half been convinced I had taken another class of drugs if I had not been aware of what I was given.

I think you need a little bit of heroin in the mix to pass in terms of a particularly enjoyable high, a "rush" sensation when IV'd likely plays a role in this as well.

If you are an international drug cartel who produces and/or traffics heroin in high kilogram figures or greater then I highly doubt the few kilos of dope mixed in with fent to make a huge batch of fent tainted dope make any real difference to your bottom line. The fact is they are already making so much more by jumping on the heroin with fent that they can easily afford to include the heroin and still make several times more money than on a standard shipment of heroin cut with inert fillers, and the profits from heroin alone are very high!

If you look at the horrible things that occur in Mexico every single day it becomes very obvious that the people responsible for supplying most of this drug to the United States have no regard for human lives or suffering whatsoever.

As someone who has used a decent bit of heroin and had a little bit of fent in a medical setting I can tell you there is a huge difference in the euphoria between both drugs, honestly fentanyl felt pretty fucking weird to me and as someone who is used to traditional opiates (codeine, morphine, oxycodone and heroin) I could of half been convinced I had taken another class of drugs if I had not been aware of what I was given.

That's interesting, as I really enjoyed the fentanyl I've used.

The experience is unique, in that it makes me giddy-ish (for lack of a better term), as well as the typical mu-opioid agonist effects.

Also, I found it wasn't very sedating at all, which reminded me of oxycodone.

In contrast, methadone can really knock me off my ass.

If you look at the horrible things that occur in Mexico every single day it becomes very obvious that the people responsible for supplying most of this drug to the United States have no regard for human lives or suffering whatsoever.

♫ Money Money Money! ♫

What is it now - over an estimated 80,000 dead in Mexico since the end of 2006? Most of them innocent civilians caught in between turf wars and revenge roadside killings?

I try to not think about it too much, as it disturbs my day.

If the US, or the British Commonwealth would have experienced this level of carnage due to the WoD (especially if the majority of the deceased victims were of Caucasian descent), I believe the UN Conventions on Narcotic Drugs Treaties would have been repealed years ago.

♫ Poop. ♫

Yeah, it's hard to compare fentanyl to heroin objectively since I've never had access to genuinely pure salts of either, but I'm sure given access to pure fentanyl presented as such, most opioid users would be more than happy to purchase it. I sure wish there was more honesty in the drug trade, people could still make their money without all the adulteration and misrepresentation. That's why I really love the idea of Silk Road.

You may not like the image you have of Mexico but the people are just people and the culture of Mexico is hard to judge from the outside. They are warm-hearted and if there is only one nice thing to be said about Mexico it is the people there.

I am not sure you meant to sound offensive, but it just sounded like you were talking bad about Mexicans or something.

(especially if the majority of the deceased victims were of Caucasian descent)
Three Mexicans and a Caucasian.
Mexican_Girls.jpg

nanuka_gogichaishvili.jpg

Just keeping it real.

Last edited:
Congrats, for it appears you possess the ability to spot Caucasian features by looking at seemingly random pictures of World Cup 2014 Mexican fans, and a what looks like a Georgian model.

Yes, there still exists Mexicans of European descent. And they tend to look Caucasian. They also happen to make up for only a small percentage of their nation's total population (roughly 1 in 6 - and that's the high end estimate). Just keepin' it real, yo.

Now just in case you're trying to fish it out (based on my previous post), I don't value a human life based on racial features, but why don't you go ahead and notify your representative of what's been happening in Mexico (be sure to show him/her the picture posted above with the three amigos) and perhaps something good may come out of it.

Pmoseman I really don't see how my comment could be interpreted as offensive, I clearly stated the people who are responsible for drug supply in the US are doing some pretty horrific things in Mexico, I never said that a majority of Mexican's are bad people. I have nothing against Mexican's, or any other Nationality or race for that matter, it is just very unfortunate (especially for Mexican's) that the illicit drug trade is flourishing there and so many people are suffering as a direct result.

Congrats, for it appears you possess the ability to spot Caucasian features by looking at seemingly random pictures of World Cup 2014 Mexican fans, and a what looks like a Georgian model.

Yes, there still exists Mexicans of European descent. And they tend to look Caucasian. They also happen to make up for only a small percentage of their nation's total population (roughly 1 in 6 - and that's the high end estimate). Just keepin' it real, yo.

Now just in case you're trying to fish it out (based on my previous post), I don't value a human life based on racial features, but why don't you go ahead and notify your representative of what's been happening in Mexico (be sure to show him/her the picture posted above with the three amigos) and perhaps something good may come out of it.

You have got that backwards. In Mexico there are still native americans.

I just wanted you to know something about Mexico and Caucasians, that you seemed unaware of.

European descent does not make a person white and neither does the word Aryan, nor does having white parents. Being white is meaningless, whites hold the same mixed type of lineage as everybody else.

A racist makes assumptions about character based on supposed racial features. I think it helps to know those features are not a dividing line; the theory of race has been handedly disproven.

There are still remnants of segregation, a practice which places everyone at a disadvantage. Racism holds sway over those that assume other groups have racist intent, despite an ironic law put in place to penalize anyone for racial discrimination and a black president; you think my representative is racist?

Pmoseman I really don't see how my comment could be interpreted as offensive, I clearly stated the people who are responsible for drug supply in the US are doing some pretty horrific things in Mexico, I never said that a majority of Mexican's are bad people. I have nothing against Mexican's, or any other Nationality or race for that matter, it is just very unfortunate (especially for Mexican's) that the illicit drug trade is flourishing there and so many people are suffering as a direct result.
It just seemed like maybe you were saying, horrible things that happen in Mexico because the people (Mexicans), who are responsible for providing the US with illicit drugs, have no regard for human life; which is ridiculous.

Again, sorry for reading the wording any other way than what you intended, but these things happen.

Last edited:
Interesting read as it talks about my general area. Not sure I've ever come in contact with fentanyl dope and I don't think I'd ever want to.

You have got that backwards. In Mexico there are still native americans.

You interpret my rebuttals too literally.

I just wanted you to know something about Mexico and Caucasians, that you seemed unaware of.

I don't have all the answers, nor do I pretend to, but the demographics of Mexico is something I've been familiar with for a while, as I have family there, and I've visited at least 6 times in the past two decades. Edit - Back in the summer of '95, we drove from Phoenix to Cancún - with a stopover in Chicxulub. That's one roadtrip I'll never forget.

European descent does not make a person white and neither does the word Aryan, nor does having white parents.

Modern day Mexicans which appear to have a white/Caucasian skin color/complexion are presently known in Mexico as "Mexicans of European descent," or, "Europeo Mexicanos." They are also sometimes referred to as "gringos" - with greater frequency - the further south you go, possibly due to the fluctuations in demographics (their numbers are greater in the north).

A racist makes assumptions about character based on supposed racial features. I think it helps to know those features are not a dividing line; the theory of race has been handedly disproven.

Yes, I believe we all share a common ancestry, which was likely influenced by the eruption of the Toba supervolcano roughly 75,000 years ago.

There are still remnants of segregation, a practice which places everyone at a disadvantage. Racism holds sway over those that assume other groups have racist intent, despite an ironic law put in place to penalize anyone for racial discrimination and a black president; you think my representative is racist?

I do not know if your rep is racist. I hope not. Edit - And we also are not acquainted, therefore, I choose to reserve judgement regarding whether I think (s)he is racist.

Edit - There are concerns that our present Municipal Chief Magistrate (of Toronto, Ontario, Canada) may be racist. He claims it was the alcohol talking.

Last edited:
I read a while back the actual fent was coming from mexico and beimg sold to the mickey cobras street gang in Chicago AMD was getting wacked down there and then shipped off to diff points. Tho I'm sure there are other points of entry. But there were some weird seizures I read about back when the dea had the microgram was a white powder purportedly crushed lortab AMD it was a bunch of fent and lactose. They found the guy passed out in the bathroom just in time.

There's been an explosion in overdose deaths where I am recently, it's all over the mainstream news. The toxicity results are taking an eternity, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same fentanyl/heroin combo as is showing up in New England. The one good thing coming out of it is that people are talking about naloxone and asking why the hell it's so hard to access.

Last edited:
There's been an explosion in overdose deaths where I am recently, it's all over the mainstream news. The toxicity results are taking an eternity, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same fentanyl/heroin combo as is showing up in New England. The one good thing coming out of it is that people are talking about naloxone and asking why the hell it's so hard to access.

I hate to sound stereotypical, but this very old, very proven (to save lives) concept only tends to stumble into the ears of the government when they start to feel affected by it.

Last edited by a moderator:
You make it sound like some lost artifact.

Considering how long it's been around for, and the amount of lives which would have been saved if it wasn't so tightly controlled, I'd consider naloxone a priceless relic.

In fact, I'd buy as much of it as I could afford to, and I'd hand it out for free to whomever may end up needing some to survive.

And if the local methadone clinic would allow it, I'd put some next to the free condoms they have available.

Last edited: