• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Need Help Day 7 Opioid Free - WTF helps with RLS

Branden0713

Bluelighter
I am on day 7 with no vicodin. Most of the physical symptoms have abated except for the random bouts of fatigue and this fucking RLS! It's driving me crazy!! I think more so now than in the early stages cause I have more energy.

Any advice?

^^^ helps and gabapentin.

And back in the day i used Bromocriptone that worked but comes with other sides and i also used it for something else as its main intend but it at the same time took away my rls. But ihave never tried it for Opiate induced rls

I've been taking .25-.50 mg of Klonopin but have stopped due to a previous dependence on benzos. I'd rather WD from opiates CT 1,000 times than go through benzo WD. I've also taken gabapentin for 4 days now and have stopped that as well.

It's driving me so crazy I'm thinking about taking 30 mgs of codeine just for relief.

If that doesn't help u could try loperamide for a couple days.

Keep gabapentin dosages low for aslong as possible and take breaks.Also try keep dosing for night time when it can be the worst.

RLS was the bit that would break me for some reason. well done for reaching out for help to try to tolerate it rather than taking the easy route.

Thank you for the advice. Ive taken gabapentin at 100mg doses, I'm trying to keep it low. It seems to improve just a little everyday, I cannot wait to be over this shit.

@Branden0713, how is the RLS? Getting any better?
Actually, yes. I still have bouts of RLS and still wake up super early due to being uncomfortable but it's improving.

What's getting me at this moment is the want to find joy and becoming super anxious and scared that I will never be happy again. I remember sober life and there were times of happiness, I just don't know if the same things will make me happy and don't know what really does anymore.

I'm all about healthy solutions first. I believe someone mentioned this earlier, but it's worth repeating.

Exercise. Get your heart pumping and your blood flowing.

This was my go to coping mechanism during the acute withdrawal phase.

Not only does it help release endorphins, but it's healthy and will use up excess energy.

It's worth giving it a shot before trying to fix a symptom with another drug.

Also, a strict routine and structure every day was key for me. As well as hydrating and eating healthy. That combined with exercise, I can't describe, was better than the drug itself those first couple weeks.

Spotify, good headphones, good music and a long walk or run = gold. By 10 minutes, the endorphins are flowing, and it was as close to a drug high as I could obtain - and it was healthy to boot!

I was so exhausted by 10 PM every night, I slept like a baby for 8 straight, uninterrupted hours of good, restful, healing sleep.

Last edited:
rls and insomnia. the too biggest bitches of withdrawal. being up all night while your withdrawaling leaves you with lots of time to take plenty of showers. no drugs that i could get my hands on cures the rls. take a shower then get a bit of sleep and you'll wake up with it again. but a small amount of relief is still relief.

Actually, yes. I still have bouts of RLS and still wake up super early due to being uncomfortable but it's improving.

What's getting me at this moment is the want to find joy and becoming super anxious and scared that I will never be happy again. I remember sober life and there were times of happiness, I just don't know if the same things will make me happy and don't know what really does anymore.
You need to up the gabapentin dose to 600-900 a day at least if you want it to really work. If you only use it for 2 weeks tops u won't get wds from it. Gabapentin works better if you stack the doses, 300 mg every 45mins-1hr since your body can only metabolize that amount at once. You could try using loperamide in 16-20mg doses once a day for 3 days aswell.

Magnesium can help with RLS

Excellent point. I take magnesium supplements for my cardiovascular issues and it definitely relaxes me and almost makes me tired sometimes. I take prescription SlowMag but I'm sure the OTC magnesium supplements are similar.

Yea, I've noticed on days where I get more activity that it doesn't bother me as bad. I ran out of the gabapentin (only had so many from my gma). It helped alot, just made me feel stuck on stupid.

The hot shower and magnesium route is what I'm doing tonight.

I know in time it will fade so I just keep telling myself this is only temporary. I think the lack of sleep is contributing to my mental discourse. Very anxious and empty inside. It's really throwing me off. I'm hoping increasing my daily activity/exercise will help with that.

Yea, I've noticed on days where I get more activity that it doesn't bother me as bad. I ran out of the gabapentin (only had so many from my gma). It helped alot, just made me feel stuck on stupid.

I know in time it will fade so I just keep telling myself this is only temporary. I think the lack of sleep is contributing to my mental discourse. Very anxious and empty inside. It's really throwing me off. I'm hoping increasing my daily activity/exercise will help with that.
get immodium and take 12-16mg it lasts a whole day and reduces the wds considerably.

lack of sleep exacerbates every other symptom. it's awful. rls is half of the cause of insomnia. boy are they an evil duo. i hope tonight goes okay for you. the anxiety and emptiness passes within a matter of weeks or less depending on the person. trust me things get a fuck of a lot easier. you've made it through the worst. keep on trucking as they say!