• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Cure to Benzo/Alcohol respiratory depression

Dude if you have diabetes you could be blacking out and stumbling from alcohol messing with your insulin my cousin has diabetes and the symptoms of lack of insulin are nearly identical to that of alcohol intoxication first you get staggering slurring confusion then as it progresses you end up passingout and if it continues you eventually wont be able to be woken and if not immediately given inssulin death. And I think alcohol can cause people with diabetes to go into shock from messing with your energy system
Never heard of the energy system thing but i would say it's pretty much identical to hypoglycemia. You definitely don't want insulin when you have hypoglycemia, you need food or sugar instead but I'd imagine lots of people can have low blood sugar go unnoticed when drunk. I test it a lot while drinking though but there are days I've fallen asleep without checking and it could've been bad.

I think you might have misunderstood what I'm saying here. There's not really a definable line separating dependence upon Benzodiazepines and Alcohol. They're almost completely interchangeable. What I'm saying is that, technically speaking, you can't really be heavily dependent upon Alcohol and not also be dependent on your Benzodiazepines. One is a pill, one is a beverage although this is a slight oversimplification.
I do agree their effects are pretty close to identical but I'm still a little confused how being addicted to alcohol (which I am) is the same as being dependant on my benzos.

I just like it. Not sure exactly why but that's the level I like to get to. Piecing together what you did the next morning is part of the fun in drinking for me.
Ι like that part too(piecing together what you did) especially when it includes getting laid or getting in adventrures like fighting, being arrested or other stuff you will remember when you get older and say "good times"...
But, while I don't want to be jugmental, needing to black out every night is...weird. Like you don't love your self enough or something. That's my point. I don't mean to insult you and don't take me wrong, but maybe you would want to solve some of these isues and make piece with your self.

I do agree their effects are pretty close to identical but I'm still a little confused how being addicted to alcohol (which I am) is the same as being dependant on my benzos.

It's because they are practically identical in their effects. It doesn't matter if you drink the sedative or take it in pill form. I guess what I'm saying is that the end result is practically identical, so differentiating between the two might he a disservice to you. You're dependent upon these GABA agonists, which is the problem. Does that make sense? It's almost like me saying, I use Heroin and Morphine frequently, but I'm really only dependent upon the Morphine.

Although the effects on the central nervous system are nearly identical, Alcohol simultaneously effects several other (practicall all) systems of the body in a negative way. By comparison, Benzodiazepines are relatively safe medications. If you're not mixing them, they'rev very, very safe. Alcohol on the other hand, as I'm sure I don't need to tell you, slowly kills the person drinking it by insulting practically all the organs of the body including the brain.

In short, if you are dependent upon Alcohol/Benozos/Barbiturates, harm reduction is going to dictate using Benzodiazepines over Alcohol. It's not an ideal situation, but you will be much better off by cutting the Alcohol. I know that might not be an option, but I'm just giving my opinion.

You said you take insulin shots. Drinking ethanol while you need insulin shots is totally different then someone just having low blood sugar from not eating.

insulin ↔ Alcohol (Ethanol)
Moderate Drug Interaction

GENERALLY AVOID: Alcohol may cause hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia in patients with diabetes. Hypoglycemia most frequently occurs during acute consumption of alcohol. Even modest amounts can lower blood sugar significantly, especially when the alcohol is ingested on an empty stomach or following exercise. The mechanism involves inhibition of both gluconeogenesis as well as the counter-regulatory response to hypoglycemia. Episodes of hypoglycemia may last for 8 to 12 hours after ethanol ingestion. By contrast, chronic alcohol abuse can cause impaired glucose tolerance and hyperglycemia. (Web md )

There's not really a definable line separating dependence upon Benzodiazepines and Alcohol. They're almost completely interchangeable.
Not actually true. I know many people had a hard time trying to replace alcohol with benzos, and I guess there would be some people who had some deficulty doing the opossite. The effect on gaba isn't the only effect of alcohol.

^I didn't actually say that they are totally interchangeable. When I said that the line is not "definable", I meant to imply that there was a very significant overlap between the two drugs.

That's just my opinion though. It's closer to approaching an actual fact that Benzodiazepines are the indicated treatment for Alcohol withdrawal. The fact that Benzodiazepines can immediately arrest virtually all symptoms of Alcohol withdrawal should be proof enough that they are essentially interchangeable as drugs, but of course, you're right. Although they are really similar, they are different substances.

Also, you're correct that Alcohol effects a plethora of other systems in the body and brain, but in this instance, it's the GABAergic effects of Alcohol that are causing the vast majority of the effects that we're discussing. Again, all the proof you should need of the similarities is that you can pretty easily substitute one for the other.

Taking stimulants will most likely not cause you to breathe more frequently, but constrict your lungs causing you to lose oxygen. This will raise your heart rate causing extreme confusion/unconsciousness while your CNS (central nervous system) is so depressed. This is going to cause many problems and possibly kill you. Before trying adderall or caffiene, I would try nicotine, but that will also cause many other health issues.

You need to stop drinking. I went through alcohol withdrawal about a year ago and I feel your pain and fear. You may go to the hospital where they can help you through it. With there help, it won't be nearly as bad. I know from experience. I tried it alone and had hallucinations and other symptoms for a few days. It is extremely unsafe to do alone as I could've died from a heart issue or seizure. If you can't afford a hospital/detox center, you can try weaning yourself off alcohol. I tried this too and it worked but it very hard to do because you have trouble controlling your urge to drink. If you only drink enough to ease the heavy symptoms of withdrawal and nothing more, you will slowly bring the drinking down. Using benzos as a substitute for drinking when in withdrawal helps b/c as it is the same as alcohol in pill form, so your addiction will not go away. There are many ways you can die other than Respiratory depression when mixing alcohol with these drugs, and thats not including the physical illness you will cause in your body that will also play a role (diabetes, heart palpitations, etc.). Please find help.

I disagree, nicotine acts on muscarinic acetylcholinergic receptors in addition to nicotinic ach receptors. While I do agree that low doses will act as a stimulant increasing heart rate and alertness, due to its muscarinic agonism it is not a good treatment for respiratory depression. Muscarinic antagonists are broncodialators and commonly used for asthma and act in the opposite of nicotine at these receptors. Therefore, nicotine while making you feel more alert could further impair your breathing by increasing salvia and constricting your lungs. Also, it may cause a large degree in blood pressure as muscarinic antagonists are used. As pressures to increase bp in people in shock. This could further impair the body making it work harder to keep you alive.

Both amphetamine and caffeine act on the lungs via adrenic and adenosine deceptors to increase the ability of the lungs to dialate and stimulate lower brain areas signaling increase in respiratory.

However, I do agre with you fev that trying to reverse respiratory depression without dealing with the issue of drinking dangerously will just result in serious injury and death. If you have respiratory depression call 911 even if your too drunk to talk so they can send help and. Give you drugs to get you breathing while watching youe vitals if you try playing around and being your own er doctor your risking your life there is a reason they go through so much schooling

I see what you guys are saying about all this stuff and yeah, it's definitely getting time to quit. Past couple days I've been sick, sore throat with yellow spots, weird headaches, fatigue, muscle pain, crazy random blood sugars everywhere from 70 to 320 that I can't even link to specific foods or insulin amounts. Probably not good stuff and it's probably because of the increased alcohol recently. Nurses said allergies but I'm going for more specific blood tests cause I don't even think there's allergies during snowy months.

And I wouldn't even smoke if I had respiratory depression. Used to really love my fancy cigars till I started getting infections after every one.

But I'll probably just start weaning myself off the liquor. Decided to mix vodka and tequila to invent a drink and nothing tastes good anymore anyways. lol. The flavor is ruined for me.

Good choise m8, do it carefully, use proffesional help and keep as updated.

Dude drinking alcohol is basically like drinking coca cola . carbohydrates are like big chemical globs of energy tangled together and your body has to do chemical reactions to break the tangled mess into usable energy the result is slowly getting the energy over time as it breaks down. Alcohol is like high fructose corn syrup I stead of being a big chain your body must break down alcohpl like simple sugar can go directly into use as energy