• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Cure to Benzo/Alcohol respiratory depression

TheSacredTree

Bluelighter
I'm prescribed Klonopin, Ambien, Cyclobenzaprine, and Adderall. I only take them as needed but there are days when they can definitely become VERY needed. Also dependant on drinking though. No drinking will cause withdrawals and likely seizures. In fact, the drinking mainly replaces the three downers but I can't drink before work so that's when the others come into play.

I know the dangers of Klonopin and Alcohol very well since I work in a pharmacy but what I was wondering (and didn't want to ask my pharmacist boss) was if I was to take the Klonopin before work then four hours later get home and drink; and then I happened to get dangerous respiratory depression; what would be the cure to keep me living?

I was thinking maybe counteracting one of the two downers using either Caffeine, Adderall, or Cocaine but they have their interactions too. Maybe just making all the drinks on those days Jager Bombs?

I'm not gonna lie, I took 2mg Klonopin 5 hours ago sublingually and got home 15 minutes ago and immediately got to drinking Jager, tequila, and Scotch. This question may come into play later tonight so a quick response would be much appreciated. Thanks

And I normally have about 4-7 legally classified drinks per night. I don't stop till I can't walk.

This is not a place for quick responses like this, but there isnt anything thats going to "cure" your depressed breathing. Depressed breathing, if i understand it correctly, is caused by the specific drug, so unless you have something that would be an antagonist on the same neurotransmitter site, youre not going to get any help.

Hasn't happened yet and I'd say I'm about where I need to be drinks-wise so maybe I'm safe but I know it'll happen again in the future someday. I probably should have asked, anything I can do at home? I definitely don't have any Benzo antagonists or Flumazenil laying around but I got plenty of stimulants. Adderall, Ritalin, Cocaine, Caffeine, Pseudoephedrine, LSD, Dextromethorphan, weed, phenylephrine. Oh and can't forget Ventolin and Epinephrine.

Last edited:
M8 if you get near respiratory depression you take more than you need. Just be carefull about the amounts.
I would also be intrested in knowing what would take you out of the situation if you are already in it,but, everytime I've seen this kind of question, people's answers tend to be "nothing"

Last edited:
You say you're aware of the dangers of these drugs, but I think the level of danger that you're putting yourself in maybe more than your opinion. This isn't a place for judgment, but it's a very difficult distinction, the comment "I only take these as needed, but consume them with Alcohol daily, as soon as I get home" is troubling. Alcohol and Benzodiazepines are so nearly identical in their effects on our central nervous system, that they can and often do substitute effectively for one another without missing nearly a beat.

It's a common trajectory for folks slipping into Benzodiazepine addiction/dependence to start imbibing more Alcohol as the efficacy of their (Benzodiazepine/Barbiturate) medications wain. Again, I'm not trying to be judgmental here, I am a realist when it comes to this shit:

If your level of intake is such that you are legitimately considered that you will die from CNS depression, you aren't really using your medication "as needed" which is a term used to imply a normal, non-compulsive level of intake in most populations.

The fact that you're considering using stimulants to artificially support your respiration in these instances troubles me as well. I feel like you might be dipping your toes into some malignant consumption. I can't stress enough that we don't judge people for their addictions, but we are a Harm Reduction forum and being that Benzodiazepines and Alcohol can kill easily, we would be seriously hypocritical.

For anyone else reading, the only option for dealing with potentially lethal respiratory depression is to notify people who know how to handle the situation. Although, I'm sure that to some extent, in some situation, somewhere, sometime, that a stimulant might save someone from death who might have otherwised died from depression of the CNS. It's just not anything close to a legitimate treatment for the condition that can be reproduced or replicated.

You say you're aware of the dangers of these drugs, but I think the level of danger that you're putting yourself in maybe more than your opinion. This isn't a place for judgment, but it's a very difficult distinction, the comment "I only take these as needed, but consume them with Alcohol daily, as soon as I get home" is troubling. Alcohol and Benzodiazepines are so nearly identical in their effects on our central nervous system, that they can and often do substitute effectively for one another without missing nearly a beat.

It's a common trajectory for folks slipping into Benzodiazepine addiction/dependence to start imbibing more Alcohol as the efficacy of their (Benzodiazepine/Barbiturate) medications wain. Again, I'm not trying to be judgmental here, I am a realist when it comes to this shit:

If your level of intake is such that you are legitimately considered that you will die from CNS depression, you aren't really using your medication "as needed" which is a term used to imply a normal, non-compulsive level of intake in most populations.

The fact that you're considering using stimulants to artificially support your respiration in these instances troubles me as well. I feel like you might be dipping your toes into some malignant consumption. I can't stress enough that we don't judge people for their addictions, but we are a Harm Reduction forum and being that Benzodiazepines and Alcohol can kill easily, we would be seriously hypocritical.

For anyone else reading, the only option for dealing with potentially lethal respiratory depression is to notify people who know how to handle the situation. Although, I'm sure that to some extent, in some situation, somewhere, sometime, that a stimulant might save someone from death who might have otherwised died from depression of the CNS. It's just not anything close to a legitimate treatment for the condition that can be reproduced or replicated.

Thank you for the tip but i think you misread part of it. I'm addicted to the alcohol but far from dependant on my prescriptions.

Cyclobenzaprine is for my recent back troubles but he Alcohol works better so I take that pill maybe 3 times a month when I work long shifts and can't drink. Ambien is for my insomnia but alcohol also covers that pretty much every day so I haven't taken that in weeks. Klonopin i take maybe 6 times a month but that's only at work when I'm having a panic attack and I'll take both my daily prescribed pills at once. And Adderall is for work but I don't need it very often cause I use energy drinks instead most of the time. The Adderall makes me annorexic and gives stomach cramps.

It's rare I'll take my prescriptions and then need to drink within hours of it but yesterday was a day it happened.

I honestly believe though that my doctors prescribed combination is even worse than the alcohol/benzo combination itself. There's three potent downers in that mix.

Worth noting I blacked out for quite a while last night too. Not sure what happened between 12:30 am and 4:00 am. I don't even remember posting in here last night but do remember half of a movie (trainspotting) and coming to on a chair with the lights off. Also locked a key in my mom's car but she woulda known if I drove it so hopefully didn't do that.

This sounds extremely dangerous... that being said for respiratory depression from nicotine or chemistry accidents (dropped beaker or whatever) I keep 2.5-10 mg per kg of caffeine, 1.5 mg per kg of diphenhydramine, and 80 mg of strattera to increase sympathetic tone and 3 mg of tenex for hypertensive episode. However no offense dude but it sounds like youd be so f**d up at the point where you need it that you really cant have your life in your hands if your too drunk to walk how on earth would you carefully monitor your vitals and administer drugs? Im all for drinking and pills but I mean i just dont see how this is sustainable or safe. Its like if you where asking where do I get fire extinguishers because what im doing will cause a fire anyday now. They are supposed to be there incase of an improbable but possible fire not because your bathing in gasoline playing with lighters

I hope i didnt come off as judgemental. U mixed benzos and hard liquor almost stopped breathing was in icu for weeks. I was in highschool my mom came down foynd me unconcious in a pool of my own vomit and had to learn to walk again after having a feeding tube in me for week. I got lucky if I fell lying down I would of choked on my vomit and died. And, my mom would of found her son dead from jack and benzos.

Thats an incredibly tough story to read d1nach, im glad that youre still going strong though. I hope this type of harm reduction will help people realize that this mixture of drugs just is not sustainable or practical in any manner. Downers and downers dont go together. Skip the anxiety and just dont take them together.

Wow. Glad you're still okay d1nach. Didn't sound judgemental at all, you were speaking from experience.

Guess i'll stay away from the combo then. I had to take a Klonopin today at like 1pm because of a panic attack so I guess I'll just substitute the alcohol with Ambien tonight and hope I don't end up withdrawaling. It's the blacking out and stumbling i like the most about alcohol anyways so I should still get that from this combo hopefully.

And you are right that it's hard to dose other stuff after drinking too. I think (although I don't totally remember) that I missed my insulin twice last week and got sick from it.

Dude if you have diabetes you could be blacking out and stumbling from alcohol messing with your insulin my cousin has diabetes and the symptoms of lack of insulin are nearly identical to that of alcohol intoxication first you get staggering slurring confusion then as it progresses you end up passingout and if it continues you eventually wont be able to be woken and if not immediately given inssulin death. And I think alcohol can cause people with diabetes to go into shock from messing with your energy system

mate there's no safe DIY home-kit to deal with drug induced CNS depression (unless its an opiate, then narcan). if you're experiencing CNS dep get yourself straight to the emergency room

I thought CNS depression is what you want from a cns depressant. That's a different think from blacking out or respiratory depression, though.

Wow. Glad you're still okay d1nach. Didn't sound judgemental at all, you were speaking from experience.

Guess i'll stay away from the combo then. I had to take a Klonopin today at like 1pm because of a panic attack so I guess I'll just substitute the alcohol with Ambien tonight and hope I don't end up withdrawaling. It's the blacking out and stumbling i like the most about alcohol anyways so I should still get that from this combo hopefully.

And you are right that it's hard to dose other stuff after drinking too. I think (although I don't totally remember) that I missed my insulin twice last week and got sick from it.

I wonder why someone likes to black out every night...

Thank you for the tip but i think you misread part of it. I'm addicted to the alcohol but far from dependant on my prescriptions.

Cyclobenzaprine is for my recent back troubles but he Alcohol works better so I take that pill maybe 3 times a month when I work long shifts and can't drink. Ambien is for my insomnia but alcohol also covers that pretty much every day so I haven't taken that in weeks. Klonopin i take maybe 6 times a month but that's only at work when I'm having a panic attack and I'll take both my daily prescribed pills at once. And Adderall is for work but I don't need it very often cause I use energy drinks instead most of the time. The Adderall makes me annorexic and gives stomach cramps.

It's rare I'll take my prescriptions and then need to drink within hours of it but yesterday was a day it happened.

I honestly believe though that my doctors prescribed combination is even worse than the alcohol/benzo combination itself. There's three potent downers in that mix.

I think you might have misunderstood what I'm saying here. There's not really a definable line separating dependence upon Benzodiazepines and Alcohol. They're almost completely interchangeable. What I'm saying is that, technically speaking, you can't really be heavily dependent upon Alcohol and not also be dependent on your Benzodiazepines. One is a pill, one is a beverage although this is a slight oversimplification.