• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

countries most obvious differences in drug culture

It was invented in Brisbane. When I lived on res our cleaner would change the bucket water once a week

sorry for historical inaccuracy, its certainly not a common method of consumption in vic and nsw from my experience and i have not encountered in the many times i have visited qld as a common method of consumption

Regarding the differences in buying drugs in the USA and the UK.
In the UK most of our drug deals are done over mobile phones. You call your dealer and arrange a time and place to meet to do your deal.
Whereas the USA seems to have a lot of open air drug markets or street corners that sell specific drugs. No need to make a call, you can just drive up to said corner and buy what you want and be out of there in seconds.
Sounds like a great system but from reading posts on the American forums it does seem to be fairly risky due to the areas these corners are situated.

I live in the states...alcohol and weed are obviously everywhere. Whenever I travel to the Middle East (mainly Egypt), the weed is either non existent or horrible. Hash is plentiful if you know the right people though. And alcohol can be a bitch to find, as the majority of people in Egypt do not drink.

Regarding the differences in buying drugs in the USA and the UK.
In the UK most of our drug deals are done over mobile phones. You call your dealer and arrange a time and place to meet to do your deal.
Whereas the USA seems to have a lot of open air drug markets or street corners that sell specific drugs. No need to make a call, you can just drive up to said corner and buy what you want and be out of there in seconds.
Sounds like a great system but from reading posts on the American forums it does seem to be fairly risky due to the areas these corners are situated.

In melbourne we have at least one very reknowned open air drug market but it seems to be for one drug only and that is heroin. Its a shame as the same street has some of the best restaraunts in Melbourne as well, i am not sure if this exists in other cities in the country or not. Otherwise our culture for buying drugs is much the same, knowing a dealer etc

The open air drug market whilst may seem convinient, i loathe it, the ease of getting heroin is absurd and i have seen friends develop life destroying habits purely because of that ease

What i don't understand is why its not policed more vigilantly, there was a street in the CBD that was the same and after a continual police presence the market dissappeared, i guess it will just move somewhere else if they police it more strictly, but it seems strange to me all the same

I live in the states...alcohol and weed are obviously everywhere. Whenever I travel to the Middle East (mainly Egypt), the weed is either non existent or horrible. Hash is plentiful if you know the right people though. And alcohol can be a bitch to find, as the majority of people in Egypt do not drink.

Yeah, it's interesting- you can find opiates rather easily most middle eastern regions, but drinking is more of a gambit. I have a close friend who came from Iraq and he tells me that finding good booze is like trying to make an illicit drug deal in some ares.

I find Oz is great for good weed and smoking cones better then anywhere else I have been. Agree though that spliff culture here is lacking. Love showing people in Netherlands how to rip a cone proper. Major problem is it should be legalised of course.

Good quality H too, and always good psyches.

Prices are high though which for me is good and bad thing as I'm not high all the time.

Booze laws are fucked and Oz could take a good lesson from Europe on that one, and realise tougher laws are not the way to combat drunken/violence.

Gotta echo how lacking spliff culture is here, it is pathetic that my average rolling skills put most stoners I know to shame. I couldn't even roll before last year when I decided this is bloody ridiculous and put the time in to learning.

I hail from Melbourne and I doubt there are many places in the world that G is as popular as it is here, other than that since the ecstasy scene went to shit almost all anyone I know uses is ice, alcohol, G, xanax and weed.

This is probably one of few countries that has a large percentage of drug users dumb enough to see two forms of the EXACT same drug as completely different things...

Yes never did G much till I moved back to OZ. Absolutley love how prevalent it is Sydney town.

I was a spliff nazi when I came back after growing up in The Hague. I had spliff rolling down to an art with inside out one layer trumpets with 'Smoking' Gold skins. I did go through Q much quicker. I thought bongs were scummy till my best mate showed me how to chop a proper mix and rip a cone all the way through, with a decent bong. I couldn't believe how economical 'billies' were when 2 cones would wack me better than a massive bifta that had about 0.3-0.4 of skunk and half a ciggie in it. I was a converted bong head after that and still am 10 + years on.

Still love a creamy moroc hash spliff when I make my annual Amsterdam pilgrimage or a nice haze/hydo. Speaking about it makes me buzz as in 2 months will be flying out for wedding in Thailand then 4 weeks in Poland/Ukraine/Netherlands/France for honeymoon!!!!!!

Now that I don't smoke ciggies cones are the only way with tiny amount of spin with rollie baccy. My lungs have never felt better and I'll smoke max 0.5g a day usually less.

This is probably one of few countries that has a large percentage of drug users dumb enough to see two forms of the EXACT same drug as completely different things...
yeah, good call. the fact that a lot of people seem to seek out the more impure, dirty option of the two is interesting as well.
gotta laugh when i hear people say things like "it's not meth - it's smokable speed".

I worked around the Middle East and North Africa for 10 years and found the drug scene was seriously tight to break into. Punishment and stigma attached to drugs is always severe. For the most part I was chasing hash and once the first deal was done I rarely had to look elsewhere.

Being a resident helped re. time to cultivate contacts and build trust, especially in Gulf countries. There were at least 3 types of Afghani commercially available year round ans opium was plentiful. Then there were the private stashes my contacts had that were truly test-pilot worthy but rarely sold as trade. I never heard of a tourist/visitor being offered drugs on the street there, at least not by the locals.

Egypt and Morocco were slightly different but more scary imo because of the risk of setups and betrayal. Again, tourists are an easy mark for ripping off or dobbing in to curry favor with the police. Live there for long enough and you gain acceptance. Once on the inside it's generally smooth sailing.

Prior to leaving the Gulf I did notice that there were more kids dabbling with pills than hash, particularly oxy's which they seemed able to source fairly easily despite an almost complete absence of opiate-based painkillers in the respective healthcare systems. Most had very limited knowledge of drugs in general and seemed happy to scoff any old pill if it altered their behavior in a noticeable way.

Last edited:
^ great post losthippy. it's particularly fascinating because we in the west never get to hear these sort of angles about countries in that region - thanks man.

I just recently got back from africa and have been in eastern and southern africa. The two things I noticed one of which has been mentioned in this thread before was the khat and marijuana being used and grown fairly openly. There is another thread on this in drug culture here http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/373156-Foreign-Drug-Scenes/page15 I was thinking of posting some pics when I get around to it if thats allowed.

i think our culture is huge on drinking, especially binge drinking, i think alot of people get way to drunk way to often.

on the same topic of the above post by justsayknow....
.​
a close relative is a soldier for a foreign army, his completed i think 3 6month tours of Afghanistan. He came to australia this one time on his two week leave straight from Afghanistan. He was telling me how just prior to leaving his team were in an area where the taliban had been attacking allied forces then hiding in a large marijuana plantation to avoid helicopter infrared. His tezm or squad lol were sent into the crop to hunt them out.
.​
he said the plants were all above his head (above 6 feet) and apparently from above looked more lkke a forest lol. All poppy fields and marijuana crops they came across were never purposely distroyed he said
.​
.​
.​
.​
Post # Four 6 One

Last edited:
^Cheers spacejunk. It always helps to do your homework before leaping into the drug hunt in these parts. I had a steely resolve to keep tokin when I left Oz, and being a bit older certainly helped me get to the right people when I was on the hunt. These guys don't rush into business with randoms and are usually wary of younger seekers. They believe (often quite rightly) that young westerners are indescreet and draw unwanted attention accordingly. In dry countries like Kuwait and Saudi you stick out like the wanker at the orgy if you get ripped and don't keep a lid on your high. Westerners stand out enough anyhow, let alone when they're stoned. ID checks by cops and MOI are common and they always sniff around looking for alcohol and have extraordinary powers of search and seizure compared to Oz.

Strangely enough I always felt safer dealing with stable, older suppliers (40+) than the younger hotshots I met who clearly didn't know shit from clay in the hash stakes. They were usually pretty cocky, loose with their arrangements and quick to try and rip you off with inferior or underweight product. They also weren't afraid to lose face, which in Arab culture is a shameful thing to do. The older guys were always straight up and made sure every transaction left both parties happy.

One last observation - female smokers/eaters were almost unheard of unless they were foreigners or local girls who consumed on the sly behind locked doors. The risk of bringing shame on their faith and family through being busted was just too great. In the general sense the vast majority of citizens look upon drugs with great disdain and would consider it their duty to anonymously dob you in if they caught wind of anything suspicious going on.
In all, the anti-drugs message pushed by authorities is very effective and travelers need to be very aware that jail conditions throughout the region are medieval and especially brutal on foreigners. Despite what we Aussies see as draconian laws here at home, we're blessed by comparison with most developing countries I've visited. Sorry for being long-winded :/

Yeah I gave it a go, some of the khat was a bit stronger than the stuff over here, they grow it for 50 years + though. The weed was mostly sativa but none of the stuff I tried this time was much stronger than the bushies here just a mellow uplifting high. In Malawi especially it seems that no one is shy about smoking it fishermen, business owners, soldiers everyone. One of the cafes even had space cake and cookies on the menu. It seems that the general attitude is that growing and smoking is tolerated but largescale trafficking is punished severely. Apparently in Lesotho though it is one of the largest sources of national income.

^ That's pretty interesting... I like hearing about people's experiences in other countries. :)

they grow it for 50 years + though.

Talk about vintage!

Been too a few different areas of the world.

The US: seems to be more of a bud focused country. particularly in california, they are very particular about what they strain they smoke, and alot of people grow due to the medical marijuana laws. Its got more of a cannibas connesouire culture.

Other drugs, with maybe the exception of cocaine (and natural things like shrooms) are quite frowned apon. ecstacy doesnt have the popularity that it has in Australia (we at leaast used to be the biggest consumers in the world). and meth is considered to be a gutter drug. many people will happily admit to using cocaine, but will give you a filthy look if you ever mention meth.

South America: plenty of people smoke weed, and there seems to be about as much stigma about smoking weed in SA as there is in Australia. Lots of people drink too, and early in the day I found. The interesting one was cocaine. Most south americans hate what cocaine represents (in terms of corruption and violence) and don't use it. though I did notice that many south americians in their 20s did still use it, but wouldnt advertise their use. Many indigenous groups use ayahuasca and san pedro for medicinal/spiritual purposes. the use of these drugs is widely accepted in countries like Peru and Bolivia. you can buy them at markets. enforcement of drug posession is actually pretty lax, but you wouldnt want to end up in jail.

South East Asia: plenty of meth, weed and opium. locals are pretty secretative about drug use, probably due to stigma and the incredibly harsh penalities if caught. meth (or yaba) has a very bad connotations, but is still used for recreation or to help with work. opium is used traditionally. some of the younger, wealthier types in Bangkok have quite liberal views to cocaine and ecstacy. however, the only drug I saw semi-openly used by locals in any of the countries I visited was marijuana.

BTW, from travelling I have realised many young Australians have very liberal views on hard drugs. We had a bit of a stereotype in south america for being drug pigs