• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Counterfeit drugs : why do they even bother making them. avoid at all costs !!!!!

I think if your talking about COUNTERFEIT pills bought or otherwise sourced from the black market then perhaps use the word counterfeit to avoid confusion. I guarantee 99% of ppl who read the title and opening post will think he means generic medication from a pharmacy.

I'd be curious to see the evidence when you have time to dig some up. I can't say I agree that EVERYTHING is active to some degree. At least in terms of using the word active in a way that has any real meaning in this context.

But we're not talking about everything we're talking about the stuff they use as binders and fillers in pills in specific combinations. If there are cases where it makes even a small difference I'd be interested to know more about it. But I'm not aware of any and it seems highly unlikely.

To my knowledge the generi brands typically have the same amount of active ingregient but will use different amounts/types of binders. Usually this is benign and I swear by generics most of the time. Occasionally there may be something else in there that happens to alter the metabolism a bit or a person may be a little more sensitive to than usual but for the most part they're the same thing. When a pharm company makes a new drug they have a limited time patent where only they can produce it but after this expires it's wide open for others to make. There are stingent regulations to make sure that they are similar and safe and the amount of active ingredient is as advertised so for the most part it's the same thing but cheaper. May have a different coating/binders/time release etc. but you're still getting what is advertised. I would never buy a name brand acetaminophen or naproxen for example. Generic brands are just as effective as most pharmacists will tell you. Sorry I don't have any sources other than professional/personal experience.

This has to be by far one of the most pointless fucking threads I've ever read on this site, and I've been lurking for almost a decade, and a member for about half that time. Why is this posted in OD, it doesn't have any regard for HR and is just somebody bitching about something that literally nobody on this site seems to agree with. I think you're just trying to act hard by having your name brand pills, stop being a pretentious jerk and keep these kind of opinions to yourself. Jesus.

442 bilions $ wasted?

0208indxx1.jpg

In 2012, 84% of prescriptions in the US were filled with generic drugs.

Also a factor is that each and every manufacturer uses different binders and fillers in their drugs, which can affect how an individual reacts to and metabolizes certain substances....

-PA

You are absolutely correct! I work in the Pharmacy industry and I can tell you with incredible accuracy that certain meds ~ psychotropic for example should always be brand name. The difference can be night and day, esp for the Anti- depressant sub-category. I would seriously recommend the patient gets on a different agent if he/she cannot afford brand or it's not yet covered by their insurance company. Generic companies obtain their raw powders from different sources , that powder can be lacking in purity, possess inferior bioavailability and when the compounding takes place, their choice of fillers, binders and ie) time release agents will be inferior as " PerpetualAnhedonic" has exclaimed.
The brain is so sensitive that when you dont get the original formulation duplicated in every aspect patients will not achieve remission from gen duplicate most of the times. Also adverse effects will emerge in contrast to the brand original which hadn't exerted any or only a couple of minor ones and hence compliance was not sustained.
A good example is when the formulation for the Anti- depressant "Nardil" was changed and most patients experienced the above phenomenon.
Meds like benzodiazepines are not needing to be so identical because they are performing a single action and working on a single neurotransmitter type , so that lock and key has more wiggle room.

Other meds for example which don't require tight tolerances are Antibiotics, antifungals,BP meds, thyroid and most other Hormone replacement meds ( testosterone, estrogen, progesterone and insulin) HGH is an exception as it's a very complex structure with a specific 191 or 192 amino acid sequence to manufacture so there is no leeway. There was however a case where "Armour Thyroid" ( desiccated blend of T4+T3) had changed their formulation and patients were experiencing many troublesome adverse effects, such as extreme headaches, depression, agitation and restlessness. The amount of people who were effected was so large that placebo or anticipatory anxiety was not a factor for the most part.

Anti-inflamatory class, chelating agents, bronchodilators and gastric anti-acids and/or proton-pump inhibitors are a few others with plenty of wiggle room.

I'm from Ontario, Canada and in my experience, the generic company Apotex is tremendous and obtains most of their raws from the exact same manufacturers of the brand raws. Occasionally they're not able to get the excipients done perfectly but other than that you're getting high purity and exceptional formulation and sourcing design. Another one is Cobalt so when you see co-oxycodone, this is an excellent ultra generic company that was based in the UK and was recently bought by Teva pharmaceuticals.

That's... actually very interesting. I was all ready to assume any argument about generics being inferior would turn out to be a load of crap, but that was a pretty convincing post. Thank you, I'm gonna do more research.

I would expect that much of it comes down to regulations and enforcement. It's fine to have the regulations but it's not very useful if nobody is actually periodically checking if generics are actually chemically identical to each other.

Why do you think this problem exists? I would assume it's because of poor enforcement by the regulatory bodies responsible.

I did not read the entire thread.

I don't take offense at ignorance, and that's what we have here - a lack of knowledge on part of those who claim differences in generic vs. name brand.

How do I know, I was an analytical chemist working with a formulation development team at a medium sized generic facility. I worked tens of thousands of hours working to ensure the formulations we created were 100% as bioavailable as the innovators product. This included human clinical trials after we got it down in vitro.

The USP or in house analytics published methodology for testing of active pharmaceutical ingredient and the fillers and binders. These methods were FDA approved as well to ensure our testing facilities were up to snuff.

Our QC lab handled all returned products from customer complaints. Back then (90s - early 2000s), not sure about now exactly, If you take a bottle of tablets back to a pharmacy and state that the generic isn't the same as the innovator's drug you used to take, or just claim inefficacy, the tablets were sent back to us for testing.

I very rarely saw these samples come in, as we rarely had complaints, and half the time it was a time release formula that doesn't dissolve in the body and is excreted in the feces. This is by design, still we tested the pill that someone dug out of their turd for remaining active ingredient and compared results to that documented during the clinical trials. If their was too much or too little remaining of the API (active pharnaceutical ingredient) we had to recall the batch. Recalls were extremely rare, very costly and extremely embarassing. Nonetheless, I found my company's executives to be highly ethical and we never burried data. We bit the bullet and issued whatever level of recall the FDA agreed was apprpriate, or whatever they dictated if we disagreed. You can look up recalls on the FDA's website.

We never recalled anything except levothyroxine (T4, synthroid "generic")7 - in quotes b/c there is no true innovator b/c that drug is so old it was grandfathered in when the FDA began to recognize patentened products and generics seperately (thats a simplification but it's accurate).

I digress. We made oral tablets and capsules, if that is of interest to you. We did not make parentals b/c the requirements for cleanliness, sterlity, particle content, stability and most significantly the packaging procedures are on par with that of high end silicone chip production and we simply could't make money doing those formulations. As it was our facility was as clean and well operated as any innovators - most of our development executives came from the innovators, and we paid them a ton to get them to jump ship. They were our biggest human assest. They ensured we did things exactly as they had in the innovation industry.

Unfortunately due to changes in the law Big Pharma has practically killed genuine generics, paying off the truly independent generics to not market their product, in many cases.

There is no in vivo or in vitro difference b/w genrics and the innovators. If their were we never would have been in business.

There was a generic drug "scandal" in the late 1980s. Since then oversight is so tight that you can be assured that there is no difference b/w formulae. In fact often you think you're buying a generic when in fact you're getting the innovators drug pressed in a different die, or the innovator licensed their formulation to a generic company so that the development work I did became unecessary. In that case there is naturally some variation in apperance. But be certain, as licensed, the innovator holds the generic to tighter standards than even the FDA in regards to quality and equivalency.

So I laugh.

10,000 hours minimum I worked at this, I know how many times we had drugs approved and how many we failed on. Let's just say it is often very difficult work, but when we got it right - bam! We had it.

We sent in our aNDA and always got approval, often after a few tweaks most having to do with labeling or additional testing they wanted us to do. We did that. We'd get approved. Then we'd get sued by the innovator for whatever reason they could get a judge to agree to accept as grounds for an 18 month injunction against our selling the compounded product we had sold for maybe a few weeks before the judge issued an injunction. Fuck me that sucked. Delay my bonus again....

I finally left the industry in frustration. But in the end most of my company's products were submitted and approved - some we just couldn't get right and we did fail at times and not submit an aNDA and would move on to a different compound. Once we made it through court and FDA appeals and then we made money. Until the company was bought out by a Big Pharma outfit from Switzerland. Eventually becoming part of Novartis.

So....

There ya are. They are the same. Plesase stop misinforming people.

This applies to the US, EU, and most strictly in Japan.

EDIT: You can search my posts, or those under my former username, speedball_racer, and find very similar posts where I explain this, there is more than one here at BL I've written before in response to this common complaint. It's like the vaccine debate, but even more ludicrous.

Are there occasions where a bad generic gets through the approval processes, yes. About on par with innovated products upon release or formulation change. The FDA posts much of the data on approvals, denials, revocations and recalled products, or you can request it, if needed do a FOIA request for a generic drug and read for yourself. Often someone will have already FOIAd a drugs aNDA and the FDA has the data ready to send. Otherwise it can be costly and take time. You need to have a reason to be requesting a FOUA, so I'm sorta being a wise ass, but my company did this many times to get FDA communications b/w an innovator and FDA if it pertained to complaints about our work.

I'd post approved product data, but it is 1000s of pages and I'd have to sort out the proprietary from the publicly available, so just go to the FDA with concerns.

File an "adverse drug report" (they've been renamed recently, but the process remains in place) if you had a health issue you believe was related to a product, I did once for a batch of generic Suboxone that was definitely high in naloxone, maybe within limits but I'm extremely sensitive to it, I now take generic Subutex. Never had a bad generic 'Tex, and I've had half a dozen or more formulae.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Anyone notice the op didn't even come back and post once? Troll maybe? Also the inactive ingredient thing has been discussed a lot around dilaudid, percocet , norcos, klonopins, xanax, etc. low dosed medications with physical dependency where minor change in dosage or absorption is very noticeable.

I've not "seen" any evidence, but I'm damn sure experienced it! I know for a fact that some generics simply do NOT work as well as the brands. It makes sense, in my mind, at least. Generics must be slightly different, in their chemical arrangement, or they can't legally sell them (it'd be a rip-off of the original formula). Changing that original chemical arrangement will obviously change its BA and effect on different people.

Do you have any evidence to support that? I'm not saying it's wrong, but it sure sounds wrong. The binders and fillers should be biologically inactive and have no impact of any significance.

Obviously I'm not talking about time release mechanisms, that's a different matter.

They make a big difference sometimes. Affecting all sorts of things such as drug stability polymorphism PK and so on. Lots of times things don't even get discovered regarding formulations of pills until way down the line

...as far as evidence just Google pharmacuetical formulation case law and there are plenty of examples

speedballs_over said:
did not read the entire thread.
If you had, you would have read the posts suggesting that the OP simply used the word "generics" when they actually meant "fakes".

There are some really authentic looking presses going around nowadays, that look all the world like the real thing, but are counterfeit pills.
It really is an important for HR to discuss this, as these fake pills can kill people very easily (especially if there is fent or its analogues in them)

This has to be by far one of the most pointless fucking threads I've ever read on this site, and I've been lurking for almost a decade, and a member for about half that time. Why is this posted in OD, it doesn't have any regard for HR and is just somebody bitching about something that literally nobody on this site seems to agree with. I think you're just trying to act hard by having your name brand pills, stop being a pretentious jerk and keep these kind of opinions to yourself. Jesus.

As above - there is a valuable harm reduction discussion here, but it seems to be getting lost in all the hostility about use of the term 'generics'.

This is a good thread. Feel free to state your opinion, but no need for an attitude.

This issue of fake pills and generic drugs, is real important right now.

Test kits and allergy tests are pretty important.
If you take a small dose, you can get an idea of what your dealing with. Test kits should be online.

The focus here is the harm reduction aspect.

I wouldn't be so sure. A lot of people don't know what they're really talking about. And a lot of people imagine all sorts of differences between otherwise identical drugs where chemistry and brand names are concerned.

People are just dumb, and totally ignorant of chemistry. I gave up trying explain shit to most people long ago. I just say nothing and occasionally make some smart ass sarcastic remark when I've let myself suffer in silence so long that I can't help but say something. Otherwise I'll eventually explode like a verbal bomb.

What is it that you wouldn't be so sure about?

Have you read the post by speedball?

I wouldn't be so sure that the original poster meant fakes instead of generics or that they even knew what they meant. And yes I did read it.

I don't doubt that the OP was talking about generics and not fakes, but I also believe that it is a lot of confusion on the subject.

To assume that because a drug is pressed into a pill and has a stamp that it came from a pharmacy is ignoring the growing black market of making counterfeit prescription pills.

There is a ton of regulation and oversight on generic pills, and because they function within the legal and regulated market it is unlikely that drug companies are overtly putting out weaker versions of pills. Even the notion they have made a mistake with the formula and that no one has caught it except the end user, but no recall has been made on the specific pill is assuming a lot.

It's far more likely someone has bought pills on the street that are made to look like they came from a pharmacy when in fact they never left the black market. Speedball has some pretty good insight and first hand experience in this.

Beyond blind speculation, I would be interested to see some proof that generics are somehow inferior. I understand the theories as to why they might be but it wouldn't make sense why a company operating in plain sight would attempt to deceive the medical field and the general population. What they would be risking if it was discovered- and it wouldn't take much for a chemist to test the drugs, is more than what would potentially be gained. These are not companies that popped up overnight.

I wouldn't be so sure that the original poster meant fakes instead of generics or that they even knew what they meant. And yes I did read it.

either way, there are some valuable points being made here, and some important HR stuff.

fake pills are a huge problem, and killing a lot of people - especially fent (which has been found in everything from heroin to painkillers to xanax to coke)
i know someone that was taking street (therefore fake, pressed) "valium" a couple of times a week (in the UK).
he ended up having a really nasty seizure (from benzo WD) - without even knowing he was benzo-dependant. in other words - it probably wasn't diazepam, but one of the monstrous RC benzos with a long half life, and scary tendency to cause seizures even in fairly minor withdrawals.

if the thread helps clear up any confusion between the terms "generic" and "fake" or "counterfeit" (if there are any - who knows?) it's a good thing, so there's no need for people to get flamed about it (not directed at you jess)

You see spacejunk, I think this thread is creating more confusion about what is a generic and what is a counterfeit. In essence thats what this whole thread boils down to (counterfeit vs generic) which can be easily answered. Generics are good, counterfeits are bad. So assuming OP really does mean generics, this is just the old brand v generic debate which we do not allow.

You see spacejunk, I think this thread is creating more confusion about what is a generic and what is a counterfeit. In essence thats what this whole thread boils down to (counterfeit vs generic) which can be easily answered. Generics are good, counterfeits are bad. So assuming OP really does mean generics, this is just the old brand v generic debate which we do not allow.

Wait, are you saying discussing generics vs name brand is against the BLUA? I'd never heard of this before. If it's not too much trouble I'd be curious to see where it's not allowed.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just surprised. I've been a member here a long time now and I don't recall this ever coming up.

^^ you can say for example: Valium/diazepam, Adderall/mixed amphetamine salts, etc.

Trade names may vary by country. When in doubt list the generic name/ trade name.

For everyone else, generic is non brand name.

Examples include: diazepam vs Valium.

Name brand is name brand and fake/bootleg/counterfeit is dangerous pressed pills.

Please try to stay OT. The origional point is in post #1.

Last edited: