• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Could someone help me figure out how to taper Kratom?

Ive never been able to taper where no withdrawals were experienced, there is always some discomfort. Anytime you drop your dosage you will experience some discomfort but it will be minimal if it's a low drop relative to the amount you're taking. And when you finally stop you will still exp withdrawals, they will just be less intense than had you not tapered.

I don't necessarily have to stick to a slow taper if I find I can push myself to get over it more quickly I'm thinking.

The only reason I taper is because cold turkey from high doses is too intense for me. If you feel you can just stop again, then there is no reason to taper. Things will go quicker/be less drawn out. It's like the analogy or ripping off the bandaid: you can do it quickly where the sensation is intense but over with quickly, or you can do it slowly and draw out the pain less intensely but over a longer period of time. Both methods get the bandaid off; just depends on which way youd prefer to experience the inevitable discomfort of removing the bandaid.

Ive never been able to taper where no withdrawals were experienced, there is always some discomfort. Anytime you drop your dosage you will experience some discomfort but it will be minimal if it's a low drop relative to the amount you're taking. And when you finally stop you will still exp withdrawals, they will just be less intense than had you not tapered.

The only reason I taper is because cold turkey from high doses is too intense for me. If you feel you can just stop again, then there is no reason to taper. Things will go quicker/be less drawn out. It's like the analogy or ripping off the bandaid: you can do it quickly where the sensation is intense but over with quickly, or you can do it slowly and draw out the pain less intensely but over a longer period of time. Both methods get the bandaid off; just depends on which way youd prefer to experience the inevitable discomfort of removing the bandaid.

What do you consider "high doses" for you, and how long have you been taking kratom daily, and how many doses a day do you take?

And if you skip your doses, how long will it take you to go into withdrawal?

What kind of withdrawal symptoms do you get?

Cause I don't get RLS or insomnia or some of the others, just really extreme fatigue with lots of sleeping, runny nose and feeling depressed with no energy.

See, I probably take doses that are bigger than yours I bet, but I have only been dependent daily for a little over a month so I bet it's not as bad as yours, cause I am thinking that how long you have been dependent is also a big factor and not just how high your doses are.

My doses are usually between 11.50--12.25 grams, and I have usually been dosing twice a day for the past 4-6 weeks, but somedays only once, and occassionally 3 times in a day, but I don't go into withdrawal for about 24 hours, sometimes even a little over a day.

I can take one dose in the morning, let it wear off and not take another one all day, go to sleep and sleep like 12 hours (I sleep A LOT LOL, especially when taking Kratom) and then wake up the next day and still not usually be in withdrawal when I take my first dose

Also, how long does your withdrawal usually last?

Mine has never lasted me more than 5 days max, and I've never had more than the first 3 be really bad.

I am guessing you experience something worse?

Cause really, I can't see how 3--5 days of any withdrawal that is short of excruciating to be that hard to deal with if you literally don't have anything to do.

If I have those days off work I just sleep for like 3 days pretty much and then it's mostly over after that...at least it has been in the past, so I REALLY hope it won't be worse these days.

Do you think that when one gets more dependent the DURATION OF WITHDRAWAL INCREASES, or just the intensity of symptoms, or both?

I'm mostly into the duration not being that long, so that even if the symptoms are worse I know if it only lasts a few days then I just have to get through it.

You need to experiment and determine for yourself, it is dependent on strain, dosage, frequency of use, and body chemistry. You seem to have same effects I did, extreme lethargy. Start slowly reducing consumption, if you are taking 25 grams a day for example, make the next day 24 grams and observe your body’s reaction.

I would have killed for extreme lethargy as the main withdrawal effect. I couldn't sleep at all and couldn't stop moving my body, the RLS affected all of my limbs and was absolutely maddening, the only reason I ever failed withdrawing was because of the RLS/lack of sleep. Consider yourself lucky if you can sleep through opiate withdrawal.

I would have killed for extreme lethargy as the main withdrawal effect. I couldn't sleep at all and couldn't stop moving my body, the RLS affected all of my limbs and was absolutely maddening, the only reason I ever failed withdrawing was because of the RLS/lack of sleep. Consider yourself lucky if you can sleep through opiate withdrawal.
That was heroin for me, the RLS was nightmarish. Kratom is a walk in the park compared to my heroin and fentanyl symptoms.

That was heroin for me, the RLS was nightmarish. Kratom is a walk in the park compared to my heroin and fentanyl symptoms.

How long does your Kratom WD usually last in duration until it's completely over, or at least until most of the worst physical symptoms are gone for you?

How long does your Kratom WD usually last in duration until it's completely over, or at least until most of the worst physical symptoms are gone for you?
Really depends on how long and how much you were using. I tend to have more prolonged withdrawal than most, 7-14 days if you’ve been using over a few years. Less than that 5 days or less.

Really depends on how long and how much you were using. I tend to have more prolonged withdrawal than most, 7-14 days if you’ve been using over a few years. Less than that 5 days or less.

Yeah, I haven't been using for years. For me it's always been 3-5 days, never more than 3 bad days and 2 light ones. I'm figuring it should hopefully be about the same again this time.

Yes your doses are higher than mine. I usually don't take anymore than 15-20g in a day otherwise I experience too much side effects. But I have some 15ish years of daily opioid/opiate use spread throughout the last 20 years of my life. So when I become dependent again on any opioid like substance, even something like relatively low doses of kratom - even for a short period of time - I still tend to experience pretty harsh withdrawals. It's as if my body is already primed for it and it doesn't care that it's "just" a short run on kratom. So it would be complicated to make comparisons between what each of us experiences. My previous opioid addictions play a big role here.

And yes, both the duration and intensity of withdrawals can increase the longer a person has been using. And each withdrawal can get more and more difficult/intense each time a person goes through it.

But Sounds to me like you should probably just stop, deal with the symptoms you said you get for a few days and get over it. No need to taper if this withdrawal is going to be the same as your previous ones. If you can set aside 3-5 days and feel you can get through it again then that's probably what you should do.

It's not so easy for me, I get all the classic opioid withdrawal symptoms: nausea, vomiting, temp fluctuations, watery eyes/nose, diarrhea, sneezing fits, extreme lethargy yet unable to sleep or get comfortable, rls, feelings of doom, depression, anxiety, etc. lasts like 5-6 days or so then I tend to deal with paws that never really seem to go away fully. I also have an extremely busy life with work, kids, wife, etc so it's hard for me to shut down for a few days so that I can lay around and get through withdrawals. For these reasons I taper, the goal being to make the withdrawals as minimal as possible.

An attempt to address some of your other questions:
When I'm using kratom I tend to take numerous small doses throughout the day - like 2g every three hours or so. I start to experience the onset of interdose withdrawals about 4-5 hours after my last dose but the true full force withdrawals don't start until somewhere between 12-24 hours after my last dose.

Last edited: