• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Misc Could Pseudoephedrine help with Ritalin withdrawal?

Sir.otonin

Bluelighter
I have developed a huge Ritalin addiction in the past few months, currently consuming at least 300-500 mgs a day by plugging, which has the highest bioavailability other than IV. My dosage has increased unbelievably fast and I cannot afford the amount I am taking, it costs more than my salary already, so I've burnt up all my savings already.
I am looking for a substitute to take alongside it so I can take less Ritalin without withdrawal symptoms. Adderall is not found in my country, Vyvanse and modafinil cost the same, I tried Piracetam and it did nothing, would Pseudoephedrine help? I can buy it cheap. Does it have similar effects to Ritalin? For example can I take 100 mgs of Ritalin and whatever mgs of Pseudoephedrine and feel the same as I do with 300 mgs of Ritalin?

Pseudoephedrine does not have similar effects to ritalin. Both will keep you awake, but that is about the only thing they have in common.

The closest (commonly available) drug to ritalin is cocaine, but is even more expensive. Maybe its good you can't afford the 300mg/day of ritalin, since at that dose you will eventually begin to experience stimulant psychosis. I know because its happened to me when abusing methylphenidate daily at very high doses. It takes a while for it to happen but eventually the paranoia starts taking hold and it can seem quite real.

But again to answer your question, no, pseudoephedrine is not a good replacement for ritalin and does not have similar effects.

Probabkly a very bad idea but did you consider meth? If you cannot afford the ritalin any longer and cold turkey is no option for you then meth might be at least a temporary solution (best would be to buy empty capsules, a microgram scale and make yourself meth capsules for oral substitution). Oral is way less fiendish than snorted/plugged, As negrogesic said, pseudoephe won't help, it doesn't substitute for dopaminergic stimulants and might give you a heart attack at the dosage you might need for getting some relief if at all.

Pseudoephedrine will work about as well as Caffeine.
Ephedrine will work better than either.

If you're gonna try I'd maybe take 3 or 4 Pseudoephedrine (assuming they're the standard 60mg) and down a couple cans of Monster or Rockstar with them. It helped me not be comatose after quitting 1-1.5g of amphetamine sulphate a day after about 3 months.

[1-1.5g of actual amphetamine sulphate - ~80% purity, not that shitty street stuff that averages 5-15% purity].

ChemicallyEnhanced: [...]Ephedrine will work better than either.

How much better Ephedrine is? I thought Ephedrine and Pseudoephedrine have the exact same effects on the exact same receptors, only one being natural and the other synthesized.
Do they have different effects? Can you explain the differences.
If Ephedrine can help in my situation, it's great for me, I can buy dried Ephedra very cheap, and I dont think extracting pure Ephedrine from Ephedra woulda be that hard, I have done more difficult extractions/synthesizes.

How much better Ephedrine is? I thought Ephedrine and Pseudoephedrine have the exact same effects on the exact same receptors, only one being natural and the other synthesized.
Do they have different effects? Can you explain the differences.
If Ephedrine can help in my situation, it's great for me, I can buy dried Ephedra very cheap, and I dont think extracting pure Ephedrine from Ephedra woulda be that hard, I have done more difficult extractions/synthesizes.

Ephedrine is around 5 times stronger than Pseudoephedrine as far as I'm aware. Structurally, it is much closer to amphetamine, too.
Again, I'm not a chemist, this is just what I've heard and my experience of the two fits that.

That is a crapton of Ritalin, damn. You'd be better off making the Sudafed into meth because you'll have to take tons of it to help your withdrawal. I'm joking of course, you wouldn't want to just start taking meth, but Sudafed may not help you very much.

An amphetamine I wouldn't imagine would help with withdrawals from a non-amphetamine either way, and I don't know much about Ritalin withdrawals, I take 5mg, 10mg max when I feel like it (usually before work, on off days I don't take any). You'd probably need a few hundred mgs of the Sudafed for it to help but I'd start smaller at like 100mg to see how you feel. What are your withdrawals like?

Although most people knock Sudafed, I found it could be incredibly energizing and euphoric, but I guess that may not be the norm. I'm particularly sensitive to amphetamines, I could take an instant release Adderall at 10am and be up all night, which is why ultimately I had to change to ritalin, which made me feel better regardless. Adderall felt like it sapped me of my inner being, and that's a pretty common issue with it for some people. But yeah, amphetamine and ritalin really don't feel the same. I guess there is some stimulatory overlap, it feels more like ritalin than it does adderall, but that's because it's such a mild stimulant.

You're better off just trying to taper the ritalin rather than start abusing another stimulant. I don't know anything about stimulant withdrawal beyond caffeine. Maybe you just don't like the idea because ritalin is what you're addicted to but I can't really see what other options there are. Maybe magnesium could help, it helps with most drug withdrawals (glycinate or L-theronate are best, others are laxatives)

Last edited:
Ephedrine is quite a bit more stimulating than pseudoephedrine. However neither ephedrine nor pseudoephedrine have much dopaminergic activity. Still, ephedrine feels quite a bit more amphetamine-like than pseudoephedrine.

I would strongly recommend against attempting to abuse high doses of ephedrine in an attempt to get high, its a good way to wind-up having a stroke (given it's profound effect of blood pressure, relative to its psychoactive effect).

Though it might be too technical for this thread (should post it in the one I have dedicated to this sort of thing), the following shows that ephedrine is quite a bit more psychoactive than pseudoephedrine.

The 3-methylnorephedrine into which 3-MMC (? afaik) metabolizes has made me to stay far away from anything with the name ephedrine in it. Gave me the worst tachycardia and palpitations I had in my life so far. Remember taking some ephedrine containing 'happy caps' way back in my teens though and remember them as quite euphoric but this was long before I had access to real, dopaminergic stimulants.

300-500 milligrams a day? Of Methylphenidate? That can't be right, that's more than a person can even be prescribed in a single month. Even if it is extended release I couldn't see that. And your plugging? Absolutely no way.

300-500 milligrams a day? Of Methylphenidate? That can't be right, that's more than a person can even be prescribed in a single month. Even if it is extended release I couldn't see that. And your plugging? Absolutely no way.
I wish you were right. But I definitely go through 3 to 5 sheets a day, each sheet consisting of ten 10mg pills. And also I'm pretty sure I know the difference between each end of my digestive tract so I'm sure I'm plugging them, so yea... I've dug myself into a real shit hole and I don't know how to get out of it🤦‍♀️

The usual max dose for methylphenidate is around of 72mg/d if I'm correct. So it would be around 4 days worth of dosage, not for a complete month. It's certainly possible to reach such tolerance levels with extended abuse of stimulants.

Interesting.

Is Bronkaid basically the only OTC way to obtain ephedrine? Do you know of any other decongestant that contains ephedrine (as opposed to pseudoephedrine)? Bronkaid seems just about impossible to find anymore…
I think you can buy dried ephedra from herbal medicine shops in a lot of countries. And ephedrine is water soluble so you can extract it quite easily (it won't be pure ephedrine as there are probably other water soluble stuff in there, but you would get rid of most of the plant material if you boil it and then filter and let it dry)

I’d love to get my hands on some dried ephedra. Thinking about possibly growing it next spring.

I was able to find a few packs of bronkaid at my local Meijer today - noticeably stronger than Pseudoephedrine.
Where do you reside? I might be able to send you some if there are no legal repercussions on your side.
For free ofc. It's really cheap in Iran, I just have to check how much the shipment would cost, and I'll send it if I can afford the shipment

The usual max dose for methylphenidate is around of 72mg/d if I'm correct. So it would be around 4 days worth of dosage, not for a complete month. It's certainly possible to reach such tolerance levels with extended abuse of stimulants.
72 milligrams of extended release, not IR. These dosages aren't possible.

Wat do you mean it's not possible? I am taking this much so apparently it is possible!
If you mean a psychiatrist won't perscribe that dose, you are right, I buy from black market, but I definitely do plug 40 to 50 pills a day

72 milligrams of extended release, not IR. These dosages aren't possible.

It's called tolerance and it's entirely possible. It's why some people can take 400 mg of methadone, 1,300 mg of oxycodone, shoot a gram of heroin or meth in one shot... its definitely possible. Just because you haven't reached the depths of addiction doesn't mean it's not possible. Very subjective opinion.

Methylphenidate (Ritalin) 20mg tablets X 3 daily for adult average acceptable therapeutic dose range

Biphetamine XR 80mg (Methylphenidate 40% IR / 60% 4 h later) Amazing med btw

Ritalin (Methylphenidate) is 60-80mg adult ….100mg daily is rarely warranted if approved by doc

RC chemicals like 4F-MPH and IPH (Isopropylphenidate) would compare and substitute

DSNRI / Triple Reuptake Inhibitor & Inverse Agonist at DAT …..COCAINE HCL

VERY similar to Ritalin….in fact MPH is nearly double the potency at the DAT although it has f@ck all at the SERT

Hmm. I believe your consumption reports. Why would you lie? Tolerance is a very real thing, and the more you use certain substances over long periods of time, especially if it's an every day thing, then hell yes, you'll develop tolerance others wouldn't think possible.

But that's not the issue here. Your concerns have to do with minimizing the dreaded withdrawal symptoms. I am no stranger to withdrawal and it was my greatest fear for 20 plus years. Opiates, alcohol, benzos...those were the worst for me personally. Of those three only opiate withdrawal isn't life threatening if not managed medically. For nearly 30 years I used downers almost exclusively, and when withdrawal symptoms would start, I tried to cope by just taking more of what was causing the withdrawal. I'm going into this info to make a point though; I'm going to answer your questions as best I can.

It was only 8 years or so ago that I switched from downers to uppers. I'm a drug user and I think I always will be, but experience and age, along with research etc have, it seems, enabled me to live a drug using life (all kinds of drugs) in a manageable way, not in constant fear of withdrawal, and more or less able to get things done. To a non drug user, I'm just a regular guy. But...I use every day, and while it's nowhere near as magical a thing as it once was, decades ago, I still enjoy it well enough.

The trick, it seems to me, is to use a variety of substances you like the effects of, and to not only use CNS depressants or stimulants, but both. I know it's a little late for me to tell you this now, but you might want to try to use only the smallest amount of said drug per session in order to keep your tolerance as low as possible, and to minimize the unpleasant side effects that an enormous habit of almost anything causes. If you can do this, you will keep your system "guessing" as it won't have only one type of substance to defend itself from, which besides keeping your tolerance lower, will mean you get to enjoy a variety of substances along the way. Yeah, right...that would never have worked for me in the early years, wouldn't have helped me in the least for 20 some years, because I was really a bona fide addict. My actions when it came to using weren't choices, they were needs. I was enslaved. Enter the stimulants.

Around 8 years ago, toward the end of what was probably my 12th time in treatment (all but the first were court mandated or similar, and not one stay in treatment "helped" me; I tend to think the only few people who do benefit from it probably weren't real addicts in the first place...but I could be wrong), I was prescribed Adderall in order to help my "treatment resistant depression," which is the medical term for a condition that's diagnosed only after a patient has been prescribed high numbers of antidepressants over many years but with very little success, even when tried for months on end at least as they usually are for therapeutic benefit to become possible. Yes, besides ADD, ADHD, narcolepsy etc. potent stimulants are sometimes (rarely) prescribed for that reason, which was mine. I cant be sure because I have no scientific way of determining what exactly gave rise to the change, but about six months into my Adderall use I tried drinking. An idiotic move, I thought, because my entire using life had been the kind that means one drink leads to more drinks, which leads to full blown alcoholism compete with tonic clonic seizures, until I replaced the alcohol with another potent downer (usually opiates). Benzos factored in to the whole thing as well, which I took by the handful whenever I couldn't drink. However, that afternoon I drank a 24 oz. beer. Slowly. I didn't mean to drink it slowly,it just happened that way. I tried this again a week later with the same result. In short, I could take it or leave it, which had always been been impossible.

So I now have extensive experience with uppers of all sorts. I enjoyed high grade methamphetamine (ice) when I lived in Thailand for a couple of years. I haven't always been able to take Adderall (30 mg IR) depending on where I was living, so I compensated with similar drugs. Sometimes the only one available was methylphenidate, which never did much for me, but that's not the point. Since I was 5, I've been very anxiety prone, diagnosed with all its different types as well as depression, and it's the anxiety that, for me, was the worst part of any extended withdrawal I've ever known. Sure, the rest is all bad too, but anxiety is especially bad for me. Thing is, I haven't really been all that anxious since I started taking uppers. I use dexamphetamine now because I Iive in Belgium where the amphetamine salts (Adderall) isn't available. I use it for focus, interest, creativity, general performance enhancement and I augment its use with weed and the occasional tablet of prescribed clonazepam (which I can also take or leave alone).

Did uppers save my life, "cure" my alcoholism? I don't know. Maybe making it past 40 without dying played a hand in whatever change happened. I don't know. I do know I didn't make any kind of effort to change, however (embrace recovery and all that) in any way. Sometimes I use opiates and enjoy them a lot, but not for extended periods. I've learned that taking more and more of what causes me to feel what I want to feel more of is the worst thing I can do. After a point, the dexamphetamine's "useful" and pleasurable effects aren't increased by taking more of the drug. After that it's all the shit none of us wants to feel: irritability, tension, tachycardia, tweaking on fruitless tasks, etc. Anxiety. For this reason (again I could be wrong; I'm not a physician but I am a lifelong drug user with a lot of experience, and what I say here I do so because it helped me) I don't suggest trying to ease your Ritalin withdrawal with any substance of similar composition or stimulating effects. They will prolong your misery, and since they'd be alternatives to your preference, they'd likely frustrate more than soothe your system. You dont want altered versions of your DOC for the withdrawal period, because they'd be a constant inferior reminder of what you're missing. Sometimes this approach works (as in treating alcohol withdrawals with benzos) but the chemistry is different, as is the medical reality, since the benzos are "fooling" the brain through their very similar mechanism of action to alcohol in order to reduce the fatality rate of delirium tremens. Not the case here.

Therefore, in conclusion, I think your best bet is to use the surest means to limit as much as possible the anxiety that you're going to be contending with. I dont want to scare you, but the anxiety and all its concurrent symptoms are going to be a bitch. You'll feel tense, have trouble concentrating, angry, fearful, impatient, apathetic, all the while having the physical discomforts that always go along with the above. I think methylphenidate withdrawal symptoms usually begin within a few days of the last dose, but in your case, I wouldn't be surprised if you start noticing them within the first day. Try asking a doctor for a script of benzos, maybe the long acting clonazepam to limit the need to re-dose. I'm not going to advise you on how to go about that; you'll hopefully do what works on the first try regardless of how you go about it. If so, you'll be feeling better soon with a clear conscience and, ideally, ongoing medical help should it be necessary. Antipsychotics too, can help in cases like this. Maybe seroquel, for example. I think clonidine has been successful in withdrawal related panic attacks too. Be as honest with your doctor as possible in order to get the best results, but there shouldn't be a need to divulge all the gory details. The most simple but accurate approach is what I'd do. Then rest. The worst part will probably be over within 7-10 days, and after a month or a little more, you'll be over the withdrawal. Finally, dont give too much thought to the possibility of post acute withdrawal syndrome. Stressing that won't benefit you in any way, and anyway, PAWS is not a hard and fast part of the process. Its severity and duration varies from case to case. Just stay in the moment, eat, rest, drink lots of water, and so on. You'll be ok.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I have developed a huge Ritalin addiction in the past few months, currently consuming at least 300-500 mgs a day by plugging, which has the highest bioavailability other than IV. My dosage has increased unbelievably fast and I cannot afford the amount I am taking, it costs more than my salary already, so I've burnt up all my savings already.
I am looking for a substitute to take alongside it so I can take less Ritalin without withdrawal symptoms. Adderall is not found in my country, Vyvanse and modafinil cost the same, I tried Piracetam and it did nothing, would Pseudoephedrine help? I can buy it cheap. Does it have similar effects to Ritalin? For example can I take 100 mgs of Ritalin and whatever mgs of Pseudoephedrine and feel the same as I do with 300 mgs of Ritalin?

You said you don't want to pay for Vyvanse, but that might be one of the best options for you because it's extended release. You can't plug it because it only separates into dex amphetamine, after it comes into contact with chemicals in your blood.

It would be a good way to wean off Ritalin.