• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Could heavy marijuana cause withdrawals?

I have been smoking weed almost daily for 8 years and when I stop smoking I do get slight nausea, some insomnia, heightened irritability, and worst of all is the cold sweats. But nothing like how benzo's alcohol and opiates are physically addictive.

Yeah definately. Causes bad moods, lack of sleep, night sweats, vivid dreams, bouts of anger. Although a small number will swear blind it isn't addictive it is (usually from people who smoke everyday). Anything that causes release of dopamine is addictive.

I think the body and brain are incredibly adaptable. If you eat excessively or insufficiently you adapt. The same is true with psychoactives. If you drink 6 shots of espresso each day your body and brain adapt. If you stop these habits suddenly you could experience unpleasant change.

Of course each physical adaptation has differences. If you're an alcoholic and quit suddenly you could experience delirium tremens and die. Caffeine and marijuana withdraws are much less severe.

Marijuana advocates had made mistakes in saying marijuana is not addictive. Eventually people are going to learn heavy marijuana use causes just that. If we acknowledge this now and implement proper harm reduction we could avoid the future backlash from prohibitionist. If we premeditate this is something we could do.

So, yes smoking .5g of concentrate everyday is to much and you'll be experiencing withdrawals.

It is a drug. Therefore you can get addicted, therefore it can produce withdrawals. The intensity varies in relation to amount of use and such. Just like most other drugs...

Lol I swear people don't like to think weed is a drug.

It definitely is a drug and definitely isn't harmless. :D

Yeah it will def cause WD's. Not nearly as bad as hard drugs like benzos, opiates, and alcohol but noticeable none the less. The worst 2 for me are irritability and insomnia. Trying to sleep without weed is like trying to sleep after drinking a cup of coffe. Not happeneing.

from a technical medical perspective i'd be unsure, but I lean towards yes.

Most definitely will cause withdraws that pan out in physical- like not eating due to lack of appetite. Cold sweats is a physical symptom as well.... so I'd say yes, although moderate when compared to drugs like opiates or benzos or alcohol.

Weed- from a physical standpoint, is one of the few drugs you can quit cold turkey without the worry of shitting yourself, siexzures and possibly dying. The biggest worry is the mental withdraw. Many, IME, do not know how to cope with stress/problems in life without weed after smoking all day every day for years at a time. Personally I can relate. I haven't quit smoking weed but I don't feel the need to smoke all day like I did not all that long ago. It's been a combo of lifestyle changes as well as a steady taper.

Withdrawals have not happened to me but I was never into smoking it daily for years or even months. I only smoked daily for a few days to a few weeks in the summer at the very most, and the rest of the time I would just smoke socially on weekends when I was partying with friends, or was not busy with work or school, and wanted to relax during the evening.

I have met people who did smoke daily for months or years, and they said when they quit they did get withdrawals like night sweats, nightmares/odd dreams, insomnia, and the one person said how they couldn't eat food or were not hungry unless they were stoned.

But it's not like alcohol, benzo, or opiate withdrawal in that those are horrible and two of them can kill you.

Last edited:
how does it compare to cocaine withdrawal? I heard both are very alike

Depends also a lot how its used. Its really a big difference, if somebody starts its day with wake and beak and proceeds so through the day and somebody who will just use a small amount in the evening to get some rest.

Like with benzos THC will stack up in the body. Even if there is no feeling of being stoned or so, the impact is there. It really can take a lot of time till there is no more active THC in the blood - and then things will start to get intense. I really thing there is no physical addiction, but the psychological effects can be so strong that they will manifest physically. Smoking daily for years will take its toll.

how does it compare to cocaine withdrawal?

...It doesn't.

Cannabis withdrawal is unpleasant. That's all there is to it.

Just because the withdrawal symptoms are extremely minor doesn't stop them from being withdrawal symptoms, though. :)

I get cold sweats, irritability and sometimes my depression starts to relapse, but Im not sure if thats a withdrawal symptom or simply my normal depression peaking through without my medicine.

"Withdrawal " ? Hah! Noo. If you smoke every day ofcourse you'll feel different sober, but 'different' is about as far as it goes. No withdrawls

the closest ive had from not smoking and so called "withdrawals? is the simple fact my routine ha changed so...my hunger gets diminshed and my sleep paterns stay fucked for about 3 days....after 3 days (for me) i return back to normal with sleep and normal appetite....the body doesnt like drastic changes defitnaly mine...

i should also note that i am a heavy mary jane smoker.....for years.....so thats proubly why but no withdrawal like alcohol thats a whole nother animal

You can have withdrawls from weed but its unlikely, the longer you smoke the more likely you are to get withdrawls when you stop.

I would say that withdrawals from marijuana are different than from most other drugs, however that does not make them any less real. I guess I would say that if you get severe anxiety from reducing or quitting marijuana smoking then it's more as though you lost all your coping skills on how to deal with anxiety during your time smoking weed rather than a physical withdrawal like you would get from alcohol or opiates. In some ways it can be worse than drugs that have more of a physical component to their withdrawals. As for drugs with a more physical component to their withdrawals, when a person experiences the relief of surviving a physical withdrawal period it helps at least temporarily with the psychological component. As for chronic pot smokers, because there is less of a physical component to withdrawal then they don't experience the relief that users of other drugs do when they've survived physical withdrawals. Not to mention any psychosomatic symptoms brought on by the discontinuation of chronic pot use. Like most drugs, weed does have a physical component (If it didn't you wouldn't get high) and any drug with a physical component can theoretically cause physical withdrawal symptoms. If I don't take my folic acid supplement for a few days, I definitely feel worse. It might not be that I'm experiencing withdrawals though, it may just be that they way I felt before ever taking them feels worse now that I know how it feels to be taking them regularly. The same applies to all mind altering substances. I stopped smoking weed cold turkey probably 4 years ago, I was smoking about an 1/8th of good indoor East Coast weed a day. It really wasn't that bad for me, but everyone's experience is different and I hope that people discontinuing weed have a safe and tolerable experience.

If you stay busy and go on with your day you'll only feel a decreased appetite, vivid dreams and some irritability, for the most part unless you're a HARDCORE stoner. The first 3-4 days are the most unpleasant for me... cravings, no appetite, anhedonia.

After a week or 2 i normally start to forget about smoking, i'd say the cravings, the mild insomnia and the low appetite are the worst part of cannabis WD

THC is only a partial agonist so, unlike some synthetic cannabinoids, cannabis won't produce a noticeable physical WD, it also stays in your fat for long periods of time which makes the WD more mild.

I don't smoke much anymore, but there was a point in my life that I smoked multiple times every day for a couple years. The only symptoms I had when stopping were having trouble eating and sleeping. That was all I noticed but I always thought it was a mentak withdrawal and not a physical one. After reading this thread I am starting to think maybe it was a physical withdrawal. This is interedoes make sense. If you are putting a substance in your body regularly then of course rheres gong to be at least some type of physical response