• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Cops remove license plate in order to obtain probable cause

1) I have a friend from Towson... are all pepole from there geniuses?

2) thats a funny name

3) hey med cab

4) hi ne one!

5) so... what goes on here?

6) what up from Georgia...

n e one here from round here?

i moved down here a year ago and dont know ne one

it sux

HI

oneswtwld, those are the 6 posts you've made so far. If you just want to chat around, hit up the lounge and stop bumping threads that're actual discussions.

And for the record those are unedited - your first 6 posts have been meaningless drivel, the very definition of trolling!

garuda said:
Ah I was the one that misread it as the suspects car then, hmm if it wasn't his car that does make it a little tricky.
I would hope though that police cannot create the probable cause they use, it is too open for abuse.
Agreed. I'm a little ignorant on how 'anonymous tips' work, so hopefully somebody can clarify a little about that, but is it true that a cop basically has free power to do whatever the hell he wants on a hunch, then just say that he got the information from an anonymous informant? That's my understanding, although it may not be thorough enough. If that is the case, the only way that isn't a free pass for cops to harrass whoever they want is if the cops are 100% honorable and can be taken at their word, which we all know the vast majority of people (not just cops) are not.

trolling?... sorry.... ive had things come up

that isnt exactly how you get someone involved in a discussion?

do you make friends?

med cab... hit me up on AIM @ bisco802

peace

i must be trolling

i guess I am

I know that CI's have to be logged and documented. I'm not sure about anonymous tips, but I'd imagine that there needs to be some sort of probable cause behind them. If not, anyone can call in an anonymous tip on anyone else and fuck them over. Or, like you said, Cops could put down anything as an anonymous tip and circumvent our laws.

oneswtwld said:
I have a friend from Towson... are all pepole from there geniuses?

so you have a friend in towson eh?

is he a genius? because i'm not...or was that what you were implying?

im not from towson, its close to where i live

do you plan on contributing anything useful here? if so, get on with it...if you want to be another troll, be my guest. you will just get banned anyways...

oneswtwld, posting contact info anywhere other than your profile is not acceptable, please remove it. I know you don't have access to pms yet, but by making a few more posts you will. And yes, you are trolling, so stop or you WILL be banned, start contibuting something of value or go to the longue

bingalpaws said:
An informant gets called to run a load of dope. Fine. He provides the load vehicle, which is driven away to the stash house by a criminal load driver. Prior to the load driver picking up the car, law enforcement removes the front plate, on purpose, so that marked patrol units, working with narcotics task force, will have PC to stop the car.

It does sound a little suspect, but the informant that was working with the police provided the car. Before the other driver got in it, the front license plate was removed. Seeing as how it was the informant's car, and he knew what the police were going to do, it sounds like he gave them permission to do it basically.

Think about it this way. If an informant tells police that a certain car leaving a certain house at a certain time will be carrying (insert anything illegal here), that tidbit of information right there can be all the PC they need.

I can see the points on both sides of this issue, but I think when it comes down to it, the evidence will be upheld.

Well if a tip from an informant is probable cause then I would say that the plate stealing would probably hold up since they already had PC anyway. Otherwise, im not to sure about it.

The police force supposed to prevent crime? Were they not failing in their duty, if they knew, to stop this guy BEFORE he actually did anything wrong?

mulberryman said:
In Texas, the cops just do whatever they want. The driver consented to the search, so there really isn't anything they can do.

My mdvice to all:
Never consent to a search ever, even if you don't have anything to hide, try to keep your windows rolled up when the stop you. Lock your doors if they ask you to step out.

Of course, they may search anyway, and say that you did give them consent, or they had reason. As the way the law is now, the feds can actually pretty much do anything at all.. They don't need a warrant, they don't have to grant you any rights, can search anything without permission, etc. And I would imagine that as invasive as the law has gotten in the US, in Texas, its probably worse.

I take it you dont live in texas. I guess Ill open your eyes. In texas our officers have to follow all the same laws set down by the government. Nothing different here, your just feeding into stereotypes.

Those aren't really stereotypes. Across the country up in MA I've seen that stuff happen before. Cops pulled my friend over just to see if he was drunk/dui/had drugs, and made up some bullshit excuse - his license plate light was out - despite the fact that it WASN'T!!! And yes, I was at the scene so I know it wasn't out, they pulled him over in our apartment complex (college apartments) on a friday night, they had 2 cruisers sitting beside him with lights flashing, big scene, etc. Just ridiculous abuses of power, this isn't a state specific thing, it happens everywhere.

^
Unfortunately, that's all too common. So is pulling people over for being the wrong race...

zigzag| dta said:
I take it you dont live in texas. I guess Ill open your eyes. In texas our officers have to follow all the same laws set down by the government. Nothing different here, your just feeding into stereotypes.

I've lived in Austin. Me and a friend got stopped by the side of the road 'for walking' it being some crazy hour like 10pm. As soon as we spoke (English accent) their demenor changed entirely. They actually drove us to the burger joint & picked us up and drove us home afterwards.

Call me paranoid, but the reason 'because your walking' sounds a little... err.... suspect as a cause?

This was back in 87-88, dunno what it's like now...

haribo1 said:
I've lived in Austin. Me and a friend got stopped by the side of the road 'for walking' it being some crazy hour like 10pm. As soon as we spoke (English accent) their demenor changed entirely. They actually drove us to the burger joint & picked us up and drove us home afterwards.

Call me paranoid, but the reason 'because your walking' sounds a little... err.... suspect as a cause?

This was back in 87-88, dunno what it's like now...

Happens all the time, and Austin is the least likely city to be hassled in Texas.
Problem is Texas has a giant car culture so it is odd to see people walking anywhere except downtowns, and like it or not cops are human and out of place things attract their attention.

A favorite ploy is to randomly pull up if its night out and ask you for ID, I always say I don't carry it on me. They start blustering that its against the law not to have an ID in the state of Texas and I say no its not, the supreme court has ruled on it many times. Then they back down and start blustering what if I got killed with no ID or some other stuff and I just say I have to hurry and they have never pressed on from that.

This has happened almost exactly like this three times including once with a off-duty cop working security at a hospital at night. Showing ID on demand is a big deal to me so I won't do it, but they always claim its state law when its not.

The story is confusing. If the whole thing was a setup in the first place, the police would have known that the car had drugs in them beforehand, right? Didn't they have the car loaded with drugs in the first place, they watched it beign loaded, or they somehow knew it? There would be no need to steal the plate (fabricate probable cause) since knowing the car had drugs should be PC enough.
So, something must have been wrong with the operation- their information, the informant, something.
therefore, they stole the plate. This says they couldn't have known. Why go to the trouble to do something like this, that is legally questionable and could cost them the case, if they had really known? What they did is like going to the parking lot of a shopping mall and removing everybody's license plates so they will have probable cause to pull them over later.

Last edited:
maybe because if they use license plate as PC then they don't have to use their snitch, and that means their snitch can keep doing what he's doing.

Then I don't think there was any justification for the stop. The police activity was an abuse of power. As somebody said, why not just cut his brake lines and arrest him for running the next stop sign?