• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

cooking fruit

^I havent tried that but I've been dying to, I never thought of cooking avocado until I saw the idea recently and it intrigued me.

Grilling or broiling citrus is supposed to be good too, grapefruit in particular, its supposed to really bring out the sweetness. You do have to be careful about cooking citrus though because if you do it too long it can become bitter, so just enough to bring out some grill marks or just a couple minutes under the broiler (if even that long, I havent actually tried it yet).

Also a warning about the pineapple, cooking it separately and then eating it with something else is fine but you do have to be careful about cooking pineapple with meat because the pineapple can break down the meat and make it almost soggy feeling, so just be sure to cook them separately and then only put them together right before you eat them.

That's what makes pineapple juice such a great marinating ingredient for tough cuts of meat. Anything over 30 mins will break the meat down too much but it should be fine as long as it's less than that. I can see how it would be annoying if you aren't expecting though!

i have this idea of cooking something sweet like a plum, not just to add flavor to something else, but to make the plum soft, sweet, spicy, and delicious. i am also curious about other fruit, such as mango and even grapefruit, and how to use them.

any suggestions about things to watch out for, such as seeds being too bitter in some fruits once they get hot, etc, or any ideas at all are welcome.

You can make butternut squash soup & add cumin, coriander etc to make something akin to a curry.

Also works well as a sauce for pasta etc. :)

Pretty sure plums are used in some chinese recipes as well - sweet & sour maybe?

Try a grilled cheese with this topping:

Slice a sweet Vidalia onion into thin rings, pull apart. Slice granny smith apples (thin, but not too thin) and mushrooms.
Start the onions first, on medium heat in a bit of butter. Add just a touch of brown sugar. 3 minutes later, add the apple slices. A few minutes later, add mushrooms. Cook until onion and apple carmellizes, set aside. Make a grilled cheese on an inside-out baguette. Pull apart once melted, add topping, close, and cook until bread is browned. (The inside out baguette is very important)

Try a grilled cheese with this topping:

Slice a sweet Vidalia onion into thin rings, pull apart. Slice granny smith apples (thin, but not too thin) and mushrooms.
Start the onions first, on medium heat in a bit of butter. Add just a touch of brown sugar. 3 minutes later, add the apple slices. A few minutes later, add mushrooms. Cook until onion and apple carmellizes, set aside. Make a grilled cheese on an inside-out baguette. Pull apart once melted, add topping, close, and cook until bread is browned. (The inside out baguette is very important)

That sounds awesome. I'm going to try that for dinner, without the brown sugar though.

Mmmmmm. Is it just me, or are leftover caramelized onions even tastier than fresh?

Try the bicarb trick instead of adding sugar next time around. I think that you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Wow, I've never even thought about cooking fruit before. Fresh fruit is probably the most delicious thing ever. I think I eat too much fruit already, so I don't think I should be trying to cook them too. But good ideas. :p :)

I definitely will. That sounds delicious. The sugar is still good when it is onions + apples though.

Grilled a mango last night to make mango salsa topping for fish tacos. Tastyness.