• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Consuming for more than Ten years ?

scubajunky

Greenlighter
I'm interested to know what consequences / side effects if any people who have taken ecstasy for over ten years - 500 doses note. Are they short term or long term ?

Thanks in advance.

10 years=120 months=500 doses <=> 4.166666 rolls/month <=> once a week
That's A LOT!
They're definitely long term...

Well I have been consuming for 19 years. In the first year I had one or two weekends off. It was the early 90's and cream was going off every weekend! I abused it for around 4-5 years after that and then have continued to use it now and again for the remaining 14 or so years. I have easily taken over a 1000 pills and am interested to hear from other long termers if and how it has effected them?

Well to be honest I think you just have to respect it. I have had periods in my life where I was sad and perhaps depressed but I could have experienced those moments anyway! I suffered from sleep paralysis for a while and looking back now I can see it was related to E. Personally I don't think it has really effected me badly. I have mild ocd, checking doors, gas, heaters when I leave the house but could I have had that anyway? My spelling is not as good but maybe it's using computers which has done that! there are so many variables! Bottom line I think is if you must respect the drug, you can have amazing times on it but if you abuse it you will suffer. I had about 350mg this weekend and have felt a little low for a few days so I wont be doing it again for two or three months at least. If I have an amazing night I don't get a comedown, if I abuse it and take it when it's not needed i feel like shit for a week after using it. Respect it and dont abuse it (same thing) and you can have a lot of fun with it!

I guess about 22 years of use. Many hundreds of pills consumed.

Sorry what was I talking about?....

...oh yeah I'm not aware of any major long-term problems other than my short term memory. It was never brilliant. I did solvents as a kid and later I smoked a SHED load of weed and did speed and coke for the same period and boozed it up so hard to say what has done what. Drugs did effect me a reasonable amount back in the 90s. I got pretty depressed and messed up life stuff a bit. They caused relationship problems because all I was interested in doing was getting wasted and partying all the time which most women do not wan

Thing is I don't think I'm the best person to know how it's affected me. Who knows how I would have turned out without it or if there are things I just cannot see in myself? One thing I'm not is depressed and if my serotonin is depleted then it would appear that it's not directly linked to depression after all. I am a little worried about my memory though as I move towards old age. I know people suffer loss of short term memory anyway as they age and I've got a bit of a head-start there!

interesting

Like you I caned the weed. I smoked every day for around 7 years and probably took as long to basically give it up! I don't think caning e has affected me that badly either, I'm certainly interested to know what other long termer's think!

Been using for well over ten years and no problems whatsoever.

However thats me.........everyone is different.

Some people seem to be able to use weed quite extensively with no problems while others suffer very severe problems, generally because it has triggerred an underlying problem that may never have surfaced without the use of weed.

While it appears rare, who is to say that mdma cannot do the same.

11 years here. This is the ONLY substance I have used too. First two years: every single weekend. Now: 1-2 times every 1-2 years. The first two years I only lived for the weekends and did not have much motivation during the week. I did manage to successfully hold a job and go to college part time during that time though. The short term side effects included depression and a little bit of anxiety at the end of the two year mark.
I have no health problems now whatsoever. I am able to fully recover in 1-2 days. The one thing I have to say is that my tolerance has not decreased. I still need 3-5 pills per night to make it worth it. The comedowns for me are absolutely horrible and that is the main reason why I wait 1-2 years between times. I pre-load and post-load insane amounts of vitamins. I do not have any memory problems either. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Last edited:
That's weird. My tolerance is back to normal after giving it a long break. I only roll once or twice a year if it happens to crop up and once healthy dose does it just fine. But like you comedowns are a generally terrible, although my last time was pretty good when I took piracetam with it. Having said that, my hangovers are terrible too so might be an age thing.

I never have any problems recovering, no hangover no nothing.
Go to sleep when I have had enough and next day generally spend it watching sport and eating.

I have been rolling for 11 years. There was definitely some abuse in there unfortunately, and that had short term, but still not pleasant side effects. I only do it a few times a year now, and I can still enjoy it. I haven't noticed any long term effects. MDMA was mostly (except the abuse, but there was a powerful lesson there) a very positive experience and I can't imagine ever tiring of indulging occasionally.

I used regularly for about 10 years progressing from moderate calendar quarter usage to extended high doses once a month, I would guess 400+mg over 12 or more hours. Major side effects that led me to eventually quit regular use were feeling like shit all the time, anxiety, depression, sleep paralysis, increasingly longer days of nausea and unpleasant vertigo after using, disrupted sleep patterns, loss of interest in creativity, loss of interest in hobbies, a sense of feeling "dead" inside, minor speech difficulties like stumbling over certain words and especially the ability to formulate and talk about more complex topics that required me to string several thoughts together to make an argument, and I also lost the ability to figure out crossword puzzles which had been an enjoyable pastime of mine. I began to have trouble controlling impulses and had a lot of major mood swings. My sex drive became non-existent.

Recovery from MDMA takes a very long time. I'm two years in recovery and still making progress. There was dramatic improvement in mood swings, lessened anxiety, less depression and sleep paralysis between 3 to 6 months. After that there was slow incremental progress with anxiety, moods, depression, and controlling impulses. Disrupted sleep patterns persisted and I had resigned myself that they would never go away, but finally they did after about 1.5 years. It's such a joy to be able to sleep a full night without waking multiple times or feeling like I haven't slept. Somewhere along the way I also regained most of my impaired cognitive abilities. The last and one of the most important things I got back didn't happen for 2 years - regaining my feelings of creativity, being "alive" and feeling like my old self pre-ecstasy. I honestly had sadly resigned myself that was gone forever, so it was both a surprise and an amazing experience to get it back and feel optimistic, happy and connected to life.

So I would say for me after a decade of use it took two full years for me to recover from everything that I felt went wrong because of E abuse. There was dramatic improvement after a couple of months, slow but sustained improvement from 3 to 9 months and then a really long wait for up to two years for some of the worst, lingering side effects to go away and for me to feel healed and like my old self. I had always heard MDMA recovery took a long time, but I didn't realize until personal experience showed me it is on the order of years and not days or months. Also, on a side note I thought I'd never go back to MDMA because I figured the complete loss of magic was permanent, but I tried a single moderate dose of E after a little over two years and was very pleasantly surprised to find that most everything I thought was permanently gone came back: the soaring euphoria, one pill being plenty for a good high, minimal come down and even a nice after glow that I used to only get in the early days when I first started E.

13 years here. At first I did it once a year for a few years, and around 05-09 I went fairly heavy on it, once every 2 weeks at the most. Calmed down in 2010 and now once every 2 months or so, sometimes more sometimes less. Comedowns definitely got bad there in the heavy phases. They arent too bad now. One thing I've always respected is dosage. I rarely have ever gone over 200mg in a night and I never was a re-doser. Something in my mind always told me not to re dose...its like my brain just always said STOP, YOURE DONE....and I was always fine with it.

I over did it though and I feel like I have damage from usage, but thats also attributed to other drugs, too. Foggy thinking, anxiety, depression that was not present before. I think I was fairly careful but not fully. I could of done better. I still totally feel the magic but thats also because the music activities I engage in make me happy no matter what, so I'm always having a quality time anyway.

I have been at it for about 22 years. The early years it was every weekend for about 2 years then a couple of years off. Then I would say around about every two months. There have been a few years off in between. Its only in the last 3-4 years I have got slightly more regular with the introduction of MDMA powder.

I would say its almost every month.

I have noticed recently (Last half a year) that I am twitching when I sleep (for 2-3 days after taking) I will jump a lot during sleep and notice that I am more likely to have "nightmares". I wouldn't say they are scary dreams but may not be particularly nice. Also last time I took I woke up (2 nights later) and my heart was full on racing. That was pretty scary. It wasn't a panic attack as although I rarely have them they are more breathless then heart racing.

My heart was racing all night and I had to get up and walk around to try and calm it. Eventually I feel back to sleep and woke up about an hour later still racing but not so fast. When I woke up in the morning my chest felt tight and a little sore (this was only a week ago). Since then it has gradually got better and my sleep has slowly become less disruptive. Its hard to know if it was directly related to the mdma but I think it most probably is.

I also had a kidney stone a few years back and wondered if that was anything to do with struggling to piss whilst buzzing.

20+ years for me - well over 500 pills (not dicksizing at all just replying to the question).

No long term effects, no 'lasting' short term effects - I would be lying if I said I never had a bad comedown, mid week crash, mood swings after heavy use etc. I have also suffered from the nightmares/night terrors (as mentioned above) but these seem very common amongst MDMA / Amp users.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies so far. I think the main thing is not to be greedy otherwise there will be a price to pay, most long term users seem to agree on this. I'm really interested and intrigued by the nightmares, night terror experiences and get some comfort from them, at the time I thought I was being spiritually/ psychicly attacked or something as I could not explain them and had nobody else to confide in or anyone else who was having the same experiences. I wonder what the mechanism is for creating the experiences. ( Low serotonin I'm assuming)

the pretty interesting thing that i see in a lot of new research comparing heavy current users (and usually previous users who've abstained for over a year) to control groups who've never used is that the brain seems to do a very, very good job of repairing itself. This is always assuming that a "recreational" dose is used, as its not ethically sound to give a "harmful" or ld50 dose to a human.

The recent harvard study is pretty neat to read about. I feel like I'm really not that much different after over a year of semi-regular use, and like bearlove, i would be lying if I said I've never experienced a come down, mid week crash, or other side effects.

Even in friends who use quite more frequently than I, they seem to be very similar to how they've been their whole lives (before and after use, of course little things change like taste in music and career paths, but their general personalities are always on target).

Then again, I don't live in their brains, and also do not partake in their individual stressors, only my own.

I really feel like if the brain is regenerative tissue, and one does not over do it, you'll be fine

Also, the study on SERTs not repairing when primates were givin a near fatal dose is pretty interesting. Its almost as if you "burn the candle and blow it out" via moderation, it will repair itself, however if you go wayyyyyyyy overboard and roast the shit out of said brain candle, it wont come back.

who knows, not enough scientific data to come to a complete conclusion.

I will say this, other drugs that are more common give me a worse long-term negative (cannabis, tobacco, alcohol). Ive since quit smoking cigs regularly, but they were very unhealthy for obvious reasons.

Cannabis use effects my motivation and metabolism

Alcohol gives the worst hangovers of all drugs I've experienced IMO. The addiction potential is insane, and if you've ever known a true alcoholic, they're clinically psychotic. HPPD symptoms times 40.

over 10 years rolling here. the first 3 years i used it very consecutively, almost every weekend, sometimes multiple times per week. this produced short-term problems such as emotional volatility. lost the magic and stopped for over a year then began rolling again, it felt like my first time all over again. then rolled anywhere from once a week every couple of weeks to taking a break for a few months. it was very off and on. i've done ridiculous amounts for days in a row which led to extreme short-term problems, incredibly strong emotions, nightmares, sleep paralysis, unable to sleep more than 3-4 hours per night yet felt perfectly rested and full of energy. this would only last 1 week, 2 weeks tops. i have built up a massive tolerance on numerous occasions and if i take a break for close to 6 months, my tolerance always drops considerably to where it feels amazing again. in other words, i've always been able to regain the magic after a long break.

all the problems i've faced from it have been short-term from overdoing it (there have been some cycles of abuse / overdoing it). i've found that lots of exercise helps considerably with stabilizing mood and getting a more regular sleep pattern when enduring serotonin depletion. serotonin depletion isn't always a negative thing for me, my emotions are heightened to a very strong degree. so whatever emotion i'm feeling is amped up exponentially. if it's a beautiful day and i'm happy, i feel incredibly happy. if a friend is going through a difficult time, i feel strong empathy and feel depressed on their behalf, so depressed that i feel borderline crushed over them feeling down. if i'm stressed at work then my anxiety is through the roof. i find that emergency benzos save my ass but when they're not available i spend tons of time focusing on exercise / protein supplements and that works miracles. 5-htp is a lifesaver too of course but i only opt to take 5-htp when i'm in a down or negative mood. when i'm happy during serotonin depletion i'm incredibly happy and the 5-htp blunts the emotions so i only use it during negative emotions, so i can enjoy the extreme happiness where i feel incredibly alive due to emotions being so strong / raw. i've gotten good at dealing with serotonin depletion to the point where even my wife can't usually tell when i'm enduring it. once those short-term problems pass then i don't feel any long-term negative effects. when i took my first long break away from rolling during the 3rd year, i felt jaded to life in general for several months and this was difficult. i couldn't get too excited or too mad over much of anything. but i think this was due to my mindstate because i was thinking that was perhaps the last solid run with mdma i might ever have. since then i've taken long breaks and not felt like that at all, after serotonin depletion i feel like my normal self again and enjoy deeper bonds with the close few friends that i roll with, a lot of the bonds are built through the great experiences we've had together rolling and also tripping.

the only issue that worries me is how 5-ht releasers and agonists can effect the heart. i've rolled so many times and overdone it so many times, plus being a big fan of psychedelics, that i wonder if i may run into heart valve disease and such. i'd like to slow down my consumption and i know with age i will be forced to, as the hangovers have gotten a little tougher to recover from since a decade ago. but i've chosen quality over quantity as far as life goes. i just need to choose quality over quantity with my drug consumption because in these situations less is more, slow down to once a month or less than that would be a nice goal. but i'm a pushover and am easily convinced to take part, when it comes to rolls and tripping.

some beneficial things have come from rolling in my life. i am a less self-centered person, i am much less materialistic than i used to be and i'm much more content with myself as a person. the tripping helped trigger that as well, i feel rolling and tripping both made an impact as far as that goes. i used to be very materialistic but rolling was definitely responsible for doing away with that. teaching me that experiences with people you love are the most important thing in life, it made materialism seem ridiculous. i still like a nice sized tv cuz i like watching tv but i used to buy things to show off and rolling killed that early on during my first year of rolling actually. i also used to be a heavy drinker when i was young and i eventually stopped drinking alcohol altogether during my first 6 months of rolling. it's a long story as to why, etc, but i haven't drank alcohol since then and have no desire to drink alcohol ever again. i used to smoke weed everyday but stopped that as well. the reason for that was because rolling and tripping so much changed the high i got from weed, made it much less enjoyable. i didn't get relaxed, lazy, chill from it like i used to. the more i rolled/tripped the more the high became more psychedelic in an unenjoyable and confusing way. i'm less egotistical in general and having less focus on me pumping up my own ego has given me energy to focus on other things, reading and learning new things is something that is a repeating cycle in my life now. i feel that's a very healthy thing to make a part of your life, to always pursue new knowledge.

Last edited:
Don'y know if this is strictly fact although friends of mine who are heavily into there MDMA told me that whilst it is maxing out your brains potential for releasing serotonin you can actually damage the brains functioning which makes your general mood go downhill as the brain can't make you happy any more with out the little boost from drugs.

Sounds like it could be realistic to me so hope it helps.