⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Consistently GREAT actors/actresses?

silverfucked said:
Kevin Spacey has never made a bad movie..

Tom Hanks has never made a bad movie, even if I didnt like some of them..

Mel Gibson turned out to be a pretty good damn actor as well..
Did you ever see Kevin Spacey in K-Pax.8o Wasn't the worst film I'd seen but was definately a stinker.

Al Pacino
Paul Newman
Harvey Keitel
Marlon Brando
Robert DeNiro
Jack Lemmon
Robert Duvall
Gregory Peck
Sissy Spacek
Martin Sheen
Robert Mitchum
Catherine Deneuve
Barbara Stanwyck
Gene Hackman
Jeff Bridges
Forrest Whittaker
Susan Sarandon
Steve McQueen
Dennis Hopper
Harry Dean Stanton
Steve Buscemi

Guillermo Díaz!!!!!!

The guy has been reduced to being the passenger in that honda civic commercial. You know the one where the driver asks the passenger what they put on your id for hair color if your bald. And the passenger says N/A.
The man was SCARFACE!!!!!!!............in Halfbaked
:D

I always thought he was a good actor

Also how about John Leguizamo! Carlitos ways,Romeo & Juliet,summer of sam, moulin rouge, he made Ice Age as funny as it was,empire,undefeated and oh way his dead on tweeker act in Spun!

When it came to playing a mental defective no one can top John Lequizamo. His portrayal of seymour in "KING OF THE JUNGLE" is just plain EPIC! Far superior to Leo in "Whats eating gilbert grape" and much more real than Sean pean "I am Sam". Taking nothing away from those actors but he could have fooled me into thinkin he was a retard.

Giovanni

hmm my choices are:

ACTORS
Tom Hanks
Mel Gibson
Kevin Spacey
Brad Pitt
Edward Nortin
Harrison Ford
Jim Carey (his comedy movies)
Nicolas Cage
John Travolta

ACTRESSES
Julianne Moore
Sharon Stone
Sigorney Weaver
Nicole Kidman
Michelle Phieffer
Angelina Jolie
Jodie Foster
Sally Field
Julia Roberts

That's all I could think fo right now...

havn't read previous posts but some of my faves are:
Edward Norton
Kevin Spacey
Brad Pitt
Selma Blaire
Edward Furlong

Tom Hanks has never made a bad movie, even if I didnt like some of them..

what about joe vs the volcano....everyone has made a bad movie

Antonio Banderas makes me go weak at the knees and sends my heart a flutter.
He is such a talented, compassionate and giving actor.
antonio8.jpg

While I'm the thirty-third poster in this thread, unbelievably to me, I'm the first one to list among his or her personal pantheon of all-time greats the legendary Dustin Hoffman.

Either I'm even older than I thought I was, or, in my opinion, you guys might want to consider rewatching Hoffman's movies (especially The Graduate, Kramer Versus Kramer, and believe it not, Hook (the latter of which was certainly not a great movie, but contained, in my opinion, one of Hoffman's all-time greatest performances).

IMHO, Hoffman (Dustin, not the Capote guy) is right up there with Olivier, Brando, De Niro, Nicholson, and at his best, Richard Burton, with Spacey and Norton as the front-runners to potentially eventually join that group, and with Freeman, Penn and an up-until-and-including-Carlito's-Way-but-no-later-than-that Pacino heading the second echelon.

Last edited:
^ Yep, agreed about Dustin Hoffman. But I'd also rank Philip Seymour up there as well - he's been brilliant in everything that I've ever seen him in, & there are few more versatile actors in work today.

The name that immediately sprang to mind though when I saw this thread was Gene Hackman. The man is consistently great in everything he's in, & is one of the most watchable actors around, for my money.

There are others, but I'll have to have a little think first...

i like angelina jolie a lot, shes the only 1 who can make me stiff on screen

PinholeStar said:
The name that immediately sprang to mind though when I saw this thread was Gene Hackman. The man is consistently great in everything he's in, & is one of the most watchable actors around, for my money.

This is one of those instances where I *know* that people who know far more about acting than I do just about universally agree on Hackman's greatness (even as I maintain my stance that he's a consistently "very good" actor, though I've hardly
ever been bowled over any of his performances to the point where I exited the movie thinking "This Guy Deserves The Oscar for Best Actor this year!" (with the notable recent exception of The Royal Tenenbaums).

To be honest, I personaly feel that while he certainly is a very good dramatic actor, his greatest strength may be in the more-challenging (imo, obviously) realm of high-level comedy.

With my non-idolization of Hackman noted, James Lipton, in as-non-gushing-as-is-possible-for-him manner, shared with Hackman a very impressive statstic during Hackman's episode of Inside The Actors Studio.

A show which, by the way, in my opinion, is SEVERELY underrated - say what you will about Lipton's penchant for overdoing it on the ass-kissing, but in my opinion, for all of the interviewers of celebrities today, he (and his forum) provide for BY FAR the gretatest insight into each of its guests' lives and careers (Charlie Rose is excellent too, but he often wastes his time speaking to irrelevant non-movie stars like presidents of countries and authors of . . . I think the word is "books.").

In any case, I feel that many people are too quick to indict the in-my-opinion-adorable-Lipton, who, for my money performs SIX of the most important interviewing skills extremely well:

(1) The quality of his research is simply unparallelled;

(2) He asks well-thought-out questions whose answers really tell us about what makes the man (or woman) the man (or woman) he (or she) is, as opposed to wasting precious time going on about US Weekly/Oprah-level "news" ;

(3) He frames the interview chronologically, so the viewer can actually see in what specific ways a (usually) now-well-respected-world-famous actor was influenced and how he or she dealt with certain obstacles that would have no doubt, been success-killers for most of us.

(4) After asking each question, he actually shuts the fuck up, and lets his interviewee be the star of his or her show; and most importantly . . .

(5) He actually LISTENS to the answers to his questions, which leads to better follow-up questions, and also, makes his guests feel more at ease, so that they eventually feel sufficiently comfortable to be more candid than they otherwise would have been willing to be;

and although some might not consider this a good thing, I most certainly do:

(6) The man is not a fucking question-asking robot.

He actually has emotions and is not afraid to show them.

Call me a metrosexual, but I actually like him and respect him for that.

And, no - I don't think he's "acting."

I simply perceive this as a case of someone who despite very possibly wanting very badly all throughout his younger years to eventually become a successful actor, he unfortunately (at the time) lacked the combination of looks and perhaps talent to become a superstar actor himself . . .

. . . and is now, as a result, probably pinching himself every day because he now has the oppotunity to particpate in genuine heart-to-heart dialogues with some of the gretaest players in the field he is most passionate about.

I apologize for that War And Peace-length aside about Lipton . . .

. . . and while admittedly, to quote Tarantino's character in the Fourth Room, "I kind of went around the world" on this post, my point in bringing Lipton up is this:

Even though, in my opinion, Hackman is consistently very good, but is rarely upper-echelon-level great, on Hackman'sInside The Actor's Studio episode, Lipton gushingly informed Hackman that of the 100 or so (mostly) well-respected actors who were guests on Lipton's show beforehand, more had named Hackman as an important influence on their respective careers than any other actor ever.

And that's gotta count for something.

^^^

If you haven't seen it, you should definitely check out "The Conversation". Hackman is great in it. One of my favorite movies.

posner said:
^^^

If you haven't seen it, you should definitely check out "The Conversation". Hackman is great in it. One of my favorite movies.

I swear on my life, I predicted that you (or someone) would bring up The Conversation quite soon after I rambled on about Hackman.

And for what it's worth, I agree that it's his best dramatic work (that I've seen).

Plus, you get to see Midas-touch Fredo.

Last edited:
Dan1584(2) said:
hmm my choices are:

ACTORS
Tom Hanks
Mel Gibson
Kevin Spacey
Brad Pitt
Edward Nortin
Harrison Ford
Jim Carey (his comedy movies)
Nicolas Cage
John Travolta

ACTRESSES
Julianne Moore
Sharon Stone
Sigorney Weaver
Nicole Kidman
Michelle Phieffer
Angelina Jolie
Jodie Foster
Sally Field
Julia Roberts

That's all I could think fo right now...

I would like to add Ralph Fiennes, Benicio Del Toro, Kirk Douglas and Donald Sutherland to my second echelon (and also Jodie Foster and Meryl Streep, if we take the "No Girls Allowed" sign down).