• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

conciousness expanison

what is collective conciousness eternal images? thanks

The collective unconscious was an idea that originated with Jung. Basically there is a level of emergence from the infinite that is shared by all of humanity and that we can tap into at any time if we know how. It could be argued that it contains some of our most basic human drives, or that it contains the current global, um, vibe of humanity (which is seen as giving rise to the physical, not vice versa). I wonder if this is similar to the dreamtime of the aborigine tribes, and they think that when we die this is the level of emergence our individuality recedes back into.

Don't know about eternal images. Archetypal images I think are also Jungian and are again "basic humanity features" and/or archetypal story figures (creation, eden, flood, messiah, man, woman, etc) that are sometimes perceived on high dose trips or deep in meditation. Whether these represent some even more basic level of reality than the collective unconscious that informs it, are transformers that it acts through to produce the physical world, or are just the firings of a oddly functioning brain strongly steeped in those images by daily media exposure, remains debatable.

Great thread guys...

Last year was an awakening year for me and I experienced what could be refered to as conciousness expansion... After taking LSD numerous times certain inherant revalations of truth were revealed to me, simple, obvious things about the world that continue to help me on a day to day basis in general life.

The thing that baffles me now is (and im sure a few trippers will relate) is that I have not learned anything new...

When I first found bluelight a couple of years ago (different nick back then)I started writting a lot of poetry and prose in the words area... it was an awesome way to get stuff off my mind.

I recently went back to some of those entries and there were poems about the very things i thought i had "found out"...
It was information I had always known deep down...
Simple things...

The truths I had "found out" were not found out at all.... my mind simply readjusted itself to work differently and believe and have conviction in those ideas and ideals that I was clearly aware of all along...

So im not sure if "expansion" is the right word... its more of an unclouding process...

I think every sentient being has this "knowledge" in them.... it is just a society and way of life that is not conductive to good mental health that stops people from reaching these states.

Yeah, its good to get a sense of something more but what is important is to develop that without drugs. To research, experiment, let go, grow, etc. Take control of the experience.

Dont know about this emergence with the infinite. Can you explain it in practical terms cause it could actually mean several things.

Have heard of archytipal images before though

Yeah, its good to get a sense of something more but what is important is to develop that without drugs. To research, experiment, let go, grow, etc. Take control of the experience.

Not sure if you're writing to punktuality or me, but I agree. I probably meditate 20-60 minutes a day, sometimes more if I find myself in a boring seminar. Right now I find I'm making good progress with something I might call constriction awareness meditation, I can actually feel emotional/thoughtform blockages (which tend to match up with the chakra system, whaddya know, the old indian guys actually knew something). Then I work with them both by gradually picking them apart and releasing them into acceptance. It's a tough practice to describe but I would sort of call it an awareness meditation refined to fit my temperment, or even just making the subconscious conscious and working with it. What sort of practices do you find helpful?

I do still get little benefits in figuring out where I am by looking at life from a totally different perspective during perhaps monthly use of pot or occasional infrequent use of more powerful substances. But no work gets done until I'm down, and the more sensitive I get, the more I notice it can take 3-4 days to come back to the point that real progress is possible. I also notice that I'm far more reactive until the unusual energy is out of my body, and that I no longer feel nearly as "expanded" during experiences because there is less identity constriction for the energy to dissolve (which is my personal model of how these drugs generally work). I think the days of psychedelics as a useful tool for me are numbered.

Dont know about this emergence with the infinite. Can you explain it in practical terms cause it could actually mean several things.
\

I guess I could use the word differentiation instead of emergence... if you're a monist who isn't from, say, a Susan Blackmore kind of camp - i.e. we're all atomic creatures and the atoms are all one light, then you may see the physical world as being proceeded and produced by a series of gradually more differentiable or "solid" energies, starting with the physical and going back to the infinite, featureless energy at the ground of being. (How the transition from infinite to finite gets made, well, that's quite a mystery, isn't it? ;) ) Perhaps you could characterize the collective unconscious as a certain moderately well-defined and moderately variable template energy that all humans tap into to some extent that guides structuring of human form and thought during stochastic/random genetic decisionmaking processes. Might work, say, by influencing thoughts through the brain's EM field, or more likely by influencing the color of thoughts that people have by influencing other, coarser energies, which influence the brain's EM field. Or you could buy that it influences the color of thoughts in the mind, which is outside the body, to make them noticably "modern human," and then the mind influences the brain to produce behavior through the brain's EM field. (I'm such a broken record this week, but perhaps Sheldrake's idea of morphic resonance might come into play here too!)

If the template influences individual selves to form, then perhaps after death "we" recede back into this not-quite-infinite-light as our more limited bodies disintegrate. Eventually, of course, the template itself will be phased back into even less coarser energy when the universe no longer is busy peopling.

I'm not saying I buy any of these models wholesale, I'm kind of agnostic in the original sense about everything beyond the fundamental insight (if you could call it that) of monism. I feel that no logical model will capture things exactly, it's just a matter of what is more or less useful just as treating the world as full of solid objects is generally useful in day-to-day life although from QM we know it isn't really true. I have come around to thinking it's perhaps more accurate that my initial orientation as a scientist would have me consider, mostly because of being able to "feel" constrictions in my chakra areas and the metaphysical systems put forward by those who describe the chakras. Interesting stuff to chew over, anyway...

Last edited:
Molybdenum said:
It's a tough practice to describe but I would sort of call it an awareness meditation refined to fit my temperment, or even just making the subconscious conscious and working with it. What sort of practices do you find helpful?

Sorry to say I do not actually meditate reguly. Dont find the time. I have been into lucid dreaming, reiki, and various meditation for obes/astral projection etc. I have not had a lot of experiences, and they usually just happen. Though my main experience came from intent, I just read up in a lot of different traditions how greater awarness or spiritual awakening is brought about and then I put together some things that work for me. the greatest thing though is intent. Just saying if it is possible to happen, I want it to happen soon, then just do whatever you think needs to be done to back up that statement.

Molybdenum said:
I have come around to thinking it's perhaps more accurate that my initial orientation as a scientist would have me consider, mostly because of being able to "feel" constrictions in my chakra areas and the metaphysical systems put forward by those who describe the chakras. Interesting stuff to chew over, anyway...

I must say I have never heard ot this blacmore stuff. Sure, you can percieve the world in different ways, but I dont think it matters which way you chose. You certainly dont get much benefit going from one belief system to another (unless it helps you to accept more), all you need is whatever view helps you in ur current environment and situation. So if you a scientist then think like one, and so on. But of coarse if you could actually shift your perception to view the world in physical terms, then to actually view the energy that makes up that physical structure, then that would be cool.

I have heard of archetyps of energy. Symbols which are a manifestation of certain energy forms, and can be tapped into. This type of stuff appears in a lot of energy orientated meditation.

Chakras are fun. There are a lot of things based around cleaning them out, getting them working, unblocking them. That kind of thing. Though I think its important to find out what your next step should be, in terms of actual tangible experience/insight, and move towards it. Its more important then just redesigning you belief system.

Last edited:
Sorry to say I do not actually meditate reguly. Dont find the time. I have been into lucid dreaming, reiki, and various meditation for obes/astral projection etc. I have not had a lot of experiences, and they usually just happen. Though my main experience came from intent, I just read up in a lot of different traditions how greater awarness or spiritual awakening is brought about and then I put together some things that work for me. the greatest thing though is intent. Just saying if it is possible to happen, I want it to happen soon, then just do whatever you think needs to be done to back up that statement.

Yeah, that's pretty much the only advice I could give anyone looking for a full kensho experience. Have pure intent. If you don't, find where your intent is not yet pure and accept that; that practice will usually result in profound experiences in and of itself.

You certainly dont get much benefit going from one belief system to another (unless it helps you to accept more), all you need is whatever view helps you in ur current environment and situation. So if you a scientist then think like one, and so on. But of coarse if you could actually shift your perception to view the world in physical terms, then to actually view the energy that makes up that physical structure, then that would be cool.

That's true enough, but to me "think like a scientist" means "observe something, build lots of models and then test them to see if they work." I became a scientist because I absolutely love building big, intricate conceptual structures. And that spills over from the lab into metaphysical systems and meditative techniques, while at the same time I am aware that a fixed belief structure will never encompass true reality.

I would say that you are less aware of physical structures and perhaps more aware of more subtle structures in many types of meditative trance and drug experiences. I have gradually found myself able to "see" (not visually, but emotionally) gross emotional blocks in some people as I learn to pay better attention. I think a lot of people who engage in any sort of spiritual practice or have tripped a certain amount relate to being able to "see through" a lot of the surface masks people wear. Better attention to body language? Sure, that's some of it, but I think they may also become more adept at perceiving subtle aspects of being.

Chakras are fun. There are a lot of things based around cleaning them out, getting them working, unblocking them. That kind of thing. Though I think its important to find out what your next step should be, in terms of actual tangible experience/insight, and move towards it. Its more important then just redesigning you belief system.

I don't so much think in terms of individual experiences or big huge steps anymore, I'm more focused on daily mini-experiences to ground that ultimate experience in my life and being second-by-second. To quote some zen guy, "you can't move toward truth, but you can identify untruth and move away from that." So having had the ultimate insight into the nature of reality (yeah, it sounds grandiose, but i know what it was), reworked my brain so I think relatively clearly, and made the appropriate physical and attitudinal changes (and continuing as they come up), I'm left with limited habitual identity constrictions to deconstruct. After a certain amount of release, I got sensitive enough that I started perceiving blockages in chakra areas. When I release some fixed false identity that I have been clinging to, I generally notice a permnent deconstriction in these chakra areas. I find that some of the comments about what is worked with in each chakra to be useful in bringing to light where I am likely to be stuck and moving past that to an even deeper ground of being. I don't do visualization or cleaning meditations or anything you'd probably see advocated in chakra books in the bookstore.

Anyway, everyone's path is going to be different....

Last edited:
yeah, sounds grandiose, care to share your experience?

molybendum, i've been reading up on aesthetic philosophy and how art can reveal archetypes. I am confused about what archetypes are. i seems to me they are unconcious instincts almost, that judge how we percieve the beauty of objects. can you elaborate on what they are? thanks

wheelchair said:
fragbait, aren't egoloss and the change of your ego diffrent things? is the ego not ones perception of self, and if lost one would not percieve itself therefore wouldnt be able to think more clearly about itself, as void stated, because to think about the self is to precieve it?

Egoloss and ego-change are different. However, the ego is NOT one's perception of self. One could believe that it is his self he is perceiving, but he'd be wrong. When you perceive anything, there is a separation between you and that object of perception. You are the subject, and it is the object. Since the ego is something that can be perceived, it is not you. Egolessness is the state of realizing that you are not your ego. The ego still exists, you are only aware of it as what you used to think you were.

We should make a distinction clear: self and self-identity are two different concepts. In the highest state of awareness, self-identity is linked with the self. Elsewhere, self-identity is linked with objects of perception (such as an ego, a psyche, or a set of laws governing your actions) which are necessarily not the self.

Definatley a good thread!
Love the way things move from a collective to individual to collective-it really is analogous with the Ego.

yay to wheelchair for the philosophy/aesthetics thing, thats my key point of interest.

Regarding ego experiences and ways of finding loss, id like to relate two juxtaposing experience both of which happened (or Im aware of) without will.

One i have mentioned on this board before and it was considered to be an out of body experience. Its happened on a few occasions, in public and its where I view my physical sense from beyond, but usully in someone elses form ie: its like Im in some one elses body viewing me and how i must seem to them. they have been quite strong experiences and I have come away slightly shaken but with a recognisable sense of something profound has happened, I also feel pretty good afterwards.
the other Ego experience of which Ive just had recently is of being in silence and listening to my thoughts intently,the sensation is so overpowering I actually loose the sense of physical self. Its like Im literally living out the old Descartes theory. There is what seemed an absolute seperation of body and mind and i really ' felt' (contradiction I know) that my external self was a shell or better still totally distant from the internal 'me'.
I do see both experiences as being healthy and not some kind of schizophrenic order. its just that writings on here seem to associate a form of ego loss via training oneself to this. But im curious as to the absolute opposites of ego of my experiences and that they come out of nowhere?

I dont thing these experiences have given me a greater understanding of what is reality but its has given me a greater sense of self........interesting, baffling .

Well, egodeath is a state where you have no ego. Egoloss/chance is where you realise part of your ego and dispel that part, get rid of it so it doesnt effect your behaviour or sense of self anymore. Throughout your life ego will change as you change and grow, but spiritual traditions are centered around getting rid of ego all together. I think that ego can effect your sense of self, it can also effect how you see the world so it goes much further then just effecting your behaviour patterns and thought cycles. Getting rid of it altogether is not pernament, but it is fantastic.

tally-ho: Yeah, this stuff doesnt really explain the universe, it just kinda shows you what is possible. Perhaps once you know all that is possible, then you can gain some type of explination.

People do have random experiences, that just happen, but overall to get these experiences by willpower and control them, then you need to control ego and finally get rid of it. There are many different ways to do this.

yeah, sounds grandiose, care to share your experience?

Sigh... I knew I was setting myself up for that. Well, words will fall completely short, and I can barely remember what it was like from my everyday mindset but I will try. It was just so alien to what I was used to though... like trying to describe light to someone who's never been outside when you only peeked through the door once years ago.

After casually reading about buddhism and drug experiences since around the end of high school, I had started to get serious and had been pursuing insight for several months and had already had some insights into the fundamental indivisibility of reality and the basis of everything in eternal light, which for a while I thought was as high as it goes. I also had a weak trip during which I really got out of my head and saw how my actions affected the world. It shook the foundations of my clinging to a self-identity as someone who understands things about himself.

Anyway, the night in question, I had smoked a relaxing dose of pot and was sitting around reading a page on other people's enlightenment experiences. This wasn't a "drug" experience, though; I had just smoked 4 or 5 minutes before and the pot was extreme delay pot; it didn't hit until well after. As I was reading suddenly something subtle snapped. Energy started rising through my body and I started thinking, fuck it, I can do this easily any time I really want to, why have I been fucking around with these conceptual views of enlightenment for the last 2 years and telling myself it will take years and years to get there, I bet if I really wanted to I could be enlightened in the next week. I kept thinking this, mostly the first and last part, over and over, almost like a mantra, and there was a huge sense of rising energy/fear and I started playing with a string sitting on my desk, I have no idea why, I was already losing control. All of a sudden *pop*! Everything had exploded, and yet nothing had changed, there was no content to the experience. "I" (and I don't mean I like we usually think of it) had no boundaries and had "always been here" although "always" makes no sense since time was a limited division that I was not subject to and "here" also makes no sense since space is a limited division that I was not subject to. The little I was totally gone. At the same time, this wasn't an "in the light" experience"; I felt far more lucid than I ever had in my life or on any drug or meditation trip. The sensory input from my eyes and ears was still coming in but there was no limited entity experiencing it. I raised my head up and looked at my room. Then I thought "oh" and then realized I was no longer "there," although again there is no there or here, there are only limited perspectives and ego constrictions separating us from experiencing reality in this way. Like most reports of breakthroughs I have seen in spiritual literature, it was very short, probably about a second and certainly no more than 3 seconds.

Afterwards, I sort of slumped in my chair for a few minutes as a lot of the usual self structures started back up. Then I had a giggle fit because I was starting to get stoned and the cosmic joke had turned out to be exactly the opposite of what I expected, which makes sense because expectations of reality are an example of what takes away from our true nature. It was also funny because not understanding something right in front of my face was a very "me" thing to do, and at the same time I understood well why I had never been able to go there before. I understood that there was no staying there because any self that is trying to stay there or get there is by itself undermining its own mission. As soon as there is any effort, there is separation. The only way to proceed is to gradually identify the fixed borders of that self, and when they are clearly seen they will dissolve and one will be the free action of the inifinite. Not that everyone isn't already perfectly that already, which took me a couple of weeks to sort out. If we are already perfectly free as we are, is there any point to self-change or release of constricting identity? Well, there's no good or bad or right or wrong before the absolute, but my personal preferences are to continue to change and so that's what's happening.

Anyway, that's the first time I've typed this up or mentioned it to anyone, because outside of some zen circles you basically come off sounding like a crackpot who thinks they're god and it's hard to convey that everyone else also perfectly contains/is fundamentally god. Also, although this experience had a lot of impact on my future direction it is no more or less important, no more or less pure, from the perspective of the absolute than any other second of anyone else's experience.

Well, I hope I got some of this across. I just tossed a bunch of words around and I feel like all I got out of that is how incommunicable it was.

Molybdenum said:
Well, I hope I got some of this across. I just tossed a bunch of words around and I feel like all I got out of that is how incommunicable it was.

Wow, thats a pretty cool introductory session, I am not sure what the experience touches on though. With the right terminology you might be able to express it better. Was it like out of body experience? You obviously lost your self of self, and allowed your awarness/perception to expand. Too bad it was only for a few seconds. You mentioned an energy rush, how did it come on? Up the spine like kundalini or some other way? Or was it all too fast to really feel it? Was it rapid pulses or just one fast one? Its really great how your energy body gets kick started like that. Did you feel chakars? Were you looking through thirdeye or physical eyes still? Though the marijuana may have actually gotten in the way of the experience or brought you back down. It sounds like you were not grounded very well though.

Last edited:
I've been drinking and also can't sleep, so I'm going to skip the quotes if that's ok.

With the right terminology you might be able to express it better.

I think I will grow better at communicating it, living it as time goes on, but I don't know if different words will help. An old koan: What is buddha? Three pounds of flax. That's as good as all the stuff I tossed around above.

Was it like out of body experience?

Not really. Although I'm not an astral travel veteran, I've been in the light/the place of music creation with no awareness of my body during several phish shows, and while sober at that. But during this no sensory modalities were interfered with, if anything they were heightened. Rather than temporarily wiping out/suppressing both the personality structure and the constrictions that accompany it, only the constrictions were wiped away.

You obviously lost your self of self, and allowed your awarness/perception to expand. Too bad it was only for a few seconds.

I think there was no way I could make that radical of a change permanently all in one go. Although in one sense it was well-tolerated, it was also utterly shattering. People who drop everything permanently all at once often wind up cartwheeling around india crazy or sitting on park benches staring at their hands for 2 years in pure bliss (Eckhart Tolle). Nothing wrong with that, but not my style. Also, by its very nature this was not controllable, which again marks it as different from the rest of my prior experiences. It just *happened* and then stopped happening. (Later experiences, I've started to get past the idea that there is ever really a definable controller, so the issue is moot).

You mentioned an energy rush, how did it come on? Up the spine like kundalini or some other way? Or was it all too fast to really feel it?

At the onset it was vibratory, starting in lower structures, felt like a high grade version of what I can get going almost daily in meditation. But the guy who would keep track of these things was leaving for a holiday just as this was really getting started so I have no idea how this proceeded.

Was it rapid pulses or just one fast one?

Pulses of relative ego death states, which would already put any drug experience I've had to shame, then the single flash.

Its really great how your energy body gets kick started like that. Did you feel chakars?

No, I did have a sense of constriction being vibrated away at the start. It was only after working on gross "body" constriction after the experience that I gradually became aware of the roots of various constrictions in locations corresponding to chakra diagrams. I would guess that some interesting shit was happening in the chakra areas, though.

Were you looking through thirdeye or physical eyes still?

Definitely still getting physical visual input, but also perceiving on modalities I had never processed before. In just a second I had no chance to explore or start modeling so I don't know what I would call these modalities or what I was perceiving. Hopefully I will permanently put "me" there and then I will get a chance. Felt entirely natural to have extra perception levels from this perspective.

Though the marijuana may have actually gotten in the way of the experience or brought you back down.

Yeah, but then maybe I wouldn't have had it at all if I hadn't smoked. I think pot caused a certain relaxing of the guard that was beneficial in getting the thing started. Things happen as they happen and I'm not pissed off that I happened to have smoked before this happened. Really, as soon as one thought started up I wasn't there anymore. No way I would go more than a couple seconds without thinking at the time even if stone cold sober.

It sounds like you were not grounded very well though.

Not sure exactly what you mean by grounded, but I agree with you to a point; I was moderately addicted to weed, depressed, and introverted at the time. On the plus side I had done my reading and was actively looking for the experience, so I didn't totally freak out or try to suppress what I had "seen." If I didn't have that background I don't know if there would have been any impact, really.

Molybdenum said:
I think there was no way I could make that radical of a change permanently all in one go. Although in one sense it was well-tolerated, it was also utterly shattering. People who drop everything permanently all at once often wind up cartwheeling around india crazy or sitting on park benches staring at their hands for 2 years in pure bliss (Eckhart Tolle). Nothing wrong with that, but not my style. Also, by its very nature this was not controllable, which again marks it as different from the rest of my prior experiences. It just *happened* and then stopped happening. (Later experiences, I've started to get past the idea that there is ever really a definable controller, so the issue is moot).

Hm. It may not have been controllable cause of the drugs, but I dunno. I think its more likely that you never got a chance to control it. Since it happened so fast, it sounds that as soon as you were aware of it you slammed on the breaks and shut it down completely. It was never really explored.

Though I didnt mean to go into the state pernamently. Maybe for a few hours or so. I do not think it leads to you sitting down and dribbling down your chin for a few years. It is possible to act in society as you have always done, if not better, although its hard for people to relate to what your experiencing if you decide to try to explain it to them in great detail. Its probably not advisable to rant either, but other then that you can continue ur life in the way you have always done. But of coarse, getting that far where you want a pernament state prolly takes many such experiences, for ever greater lengths of time And there is training you can do to help ya deal, this stuff has been done since like forever so we got documentation to back it up.

Molybdenum said:
Pulses of relative ego death states, which would already put any drug experience I've had to shame, then the single flash.

A flash, like a blinding flash? I didnt experience that myself.

Molybdenum said:
Yeah, but then maybe I wouldn't have had it at all if I hadn't smoked. I think pot caused a certain relaxing of the guard that was beneficial in getting the thing started. Things happen as they happen and I'm not pissed off that I happened to have smoked before this happened. Really, as soon as one thought started up I wasn't there anymore. No way I would go more than a couple seconds without thinking at the time even if stone cold sober.

Nah, you dont need anything other then to let go. make your ego slip up a bit. Maybe the mull helped, maybe not. You certainly did mentally lead up to that point over time. Though you shouldnt force it. If you try it again dont like set an exact date/time in your mind, just think like in a week, or in a few weeks or next month or something. Set a time frame with no specifics. It is not that hard once you get around to actually trying it.

Molybdenum said:
Not sure exactly what you mean by grounded, but I agree with you to a point; I was moderately addicted to weed, depressed, and introverted at the time. On the plus side I had done my reading and was actively looking for the experience, so I didn't totally freak out or try to suppress what I had "seen." If I didn't have that background I don't know if there would have been any impact, really.

There are certain techniques that are necessary to learn when you begin working with meditation or energy or that kinda stuff. Grounding is one of them, it means that you focus on being here, within you body, from moment to moment constantly in the now. There are different techniques to do this, and it helps in remaining focused and stuff. You can also get rid of excess enough through it, like the grounding cable in an electrical system. Aparently you can kind of burn out if you get too much energy at once, though I dont know how true that is. Dont think it applies to all energy work, just in some extreme cases and prolly not when doing this kinda stuff since we already have inbuilt support mechanisms. But grounding is useful anyway for many reasons.

Though you dont need background info to have an awarness enhancing experience, it just helps. You can get scared if you dont know what is going on. It does help if you have someone there who has been through it, either that or doing some training n stuff. But you can always shut it down. Its never beyond your control like a bad trip on drugs.

I think its more likely that you never got a chance to control it. Since it happened so fast, it sounds that as soon as you were aware of it you slammed on the breaks and shut it down completely. It was never really explored.

I still stand by the fact that there's no real control possible here from the absolute perspective, there's nothing there, no will left to control what is happening. But if the same flash happened to me today, I would probably stay "up" a lot longer. I'm in such a clearer place today that my mindset from about 6 to 20.5 years old seems like a bad dream.

A flash, like a blinding flash? I didnt experience that myself.

No, not blinding. Not anything. There was no transition sequence, there was nothing. But I saw the world and it was the first time I had ever done so, so I have to use some word to convey that my viewpoint was suddenly at 90 degrees to my normal mindset.

Set a time frame with no specifics. It is not that hard once you get around to actually trying it.

That's a very interesting idea. I may try that. At the same time, there was no content really *learned* from the experience and I'm still working from the last one at an ever-increasing pace (I can't fully integrate it until I reach total and permanent ego-death), so I don't know if going there again will accelerate my practice. Although the few times I've tried to go all the way back I have gotten extreme fear there is also the sense underlying the fear that it's not the appropriate thing at this time.

Nah, you dont need anything other then to let go. make your ego slip up a bit.... I do not think it leads to you sitting down and dribbling down your chin for a few years.... But of coarse, getting that far where you want a pernament state prolly takes many such experiences, for ever greater lengths of time And there is training you can do to help ya deal, this stuff has been done since like forever so we got documentation to back it up.

My current practice is a steady but definite and permanent erosion of the ego in daily release processes (which get a lot of the same-feeling energy going). I'm going up and down almost every day, I just don't go to the penultimate peak every day. That's the way to integrate it permanently and without exhausting yourself, and in about a year and a half my everyday, non-focused consciousness has gone from being completely trapped in my thoughts and so constricted the agony was killing me to having my awareness grounded in the basis of material reality (and there are even more expansive and permanent places beyond, though of course at the end there is no place, no solid foundation that can be identified, just pure being). I think that if everything gets stripped at once it's much harder for the remaining personality structure to function properly since it's such a massive change which is why people who dropped all of their constrictions at once, and I do believe they exist, can have a non-functional period while they readjust and rebuild.

Grounding is one of them, it means that you focus on being here, within you body, from moment to moment constantly in the now. There are different techniques to do this, and it helps in remaining focused and stuff.

Yeah, the first thing I did after this was use awareness meditation to get grounded into the present now that I could see past my thoughts and really understand there was a present to ground into. I was probably less grounded than 70-80% of people are at the time.

You can also get rid of excess enough through it, like the grounding cable in an electrical system. Aparently you can kind of burn out if you get too much energy at once, though I dont know how true that is. Dont think it applies to all energy work, just in some extreme cases and prolly not when doing this kinda stuff since we already have inbuilt support mechanisms. But grounding is useful anyway for many reasons.

I am almost sure you can burn things, early on after grounding and working back to chakra blockages I would try to force energy through blockages by sheer willpower rather than releasing them into the infinite by holding them in awareness as I went up past them. When I did this, there was heat and a ton of pain and uncontrollable body shaking, although there's still a bit of shaking even when everything is going ok. I definitely ripped some stuff up because I could not tell constriction from proper function, but I was lucky that I never got any worse than the energetic equivalent of an ankle sprain - though I was thoroughly wiped out and had to basically lie in bed after coming home from work for days on end to recover. In my experience, you can definitely heal up burns if you let the damage into awareness and accept healing (again, it's a practice that I am finding hard to describe). I don't know whether it's possible to do irrevocable damage.

The more I think about it, the more I think you probably can, especially if you're either willfully self-damaging or using a big energy releaser like big drug doses. It took me almost three months to heal up to quasi-normal after getting skullfucked by AMT (nasty drug), and I still find little dribs and drabs of icky stuff here and there left over. Shrooms and pot stress the system a little but infrequent use isn't much worse energetically than running a couple miles too far and getting some lactic acid burn up. They still aren't exactly good for you, though, and not really beneficial if you've already had insight and can get the energy going directly. They are pretty experiences, and so just like I might run a half-marathon a couple times a year for the experience even though it's a little rough on me I might still use them a couple times a year too.

Though you dont need background info to have an awarness enhancing experience, it just helps. You can get scared if you dont know what is going on. It does help if you have someone there who has been through it, either that or doing some training n stuff. But you can always shut it down. Its never beyond your control like a bad trip on drugs.

Amen to that.

Wheelchair, I realize we've kind of taken over your thread and gone on a very long tangent. Sorry about that.

its no problem, but if you could explain what archetypes are i'd really appreciate it. :)

Well, there's a little paragraph on my second post of the thread. To rephrase and expand a bit:

Speaking in a general sense, archetypes are classic elements of certain characters, places, events and objects that are so deeply embedded in our cultural narrative that they come up over and over again. An example would be the tragic hero, a man without any apparent flaws save one minor detail that wrecks his life and leads to his downfall. Most aspects of this archetype will come up again and again in plays, movies, and books. Another common literary archetype is messiah - savior, pure, innocent, destroyed by a corrupt society that does not accept him.

As would relate to spiritual inquiry, archetypal images were an idea that started with psychologist Carl Jung, who is one of the great names of the first half of the 20th century. Although some of Jung's ideas are kind of kooky, many of them draw on Eastern philosophy and were way beyond their time. I haven't read enough Jung to be sure I'm getting this 100% correct, but Jung would claim that archetypes have caught on as they have because they represent deeply held aspects of the human psyche, not because of pure whim of the literary breezes. If you buy a view of reality where subtle levels of energy are prior to their physical expression, then you could even have a set of archetypes that makes people definably people. Alien races would have different archetypes. If collective consciousness is the vibe of the globe and archetypes define the boundaries of what it means to human, then these energy patterns could interact to inform and direct human experience.

Also, on many drug trips, oobes, astral travel, etc. people often have the feeling of meeting or being one or more archetypal characters or their most famous historical representations; particularly often seen are Jesus, Judas, Cleopatra, Odysseus. This could either mean that their archetypal experiences are the result of a malfunctioning brain tossing out deep subconscious elements, or that they are simply interpreting being at such delicate and ineffable energy states as best as they know how.

There is a lot of latitude to play around with what archetypes could mean for humans and you can find arguments for everything for their being the result of a false pattern detection to their being a deeply insightful approach to reality.

Archetipes are interesting and there are energy based meditation and stuff focused around them. Like reiki where you learn to manipulate energy, only you use archetipes.

So like think of a symbol, or character, and that is the perfect combination -the whole- of what is stands for. So lets say the symbol is one of healing. The theory is that this symbol is not only a whole construct of a certain healing energy, but it is made up of all the things needed for that healing. Think something like a building, or construction, made from energy that once complete is that symbols.

Ok so to explain, there are many traditions that follow certain figures. In one eastern tradition there are many gods, each represent a certain emotion or state of being, and the image of that being is a complete combination of all the things that a specific emotion or state of being is made from. By focusing on it, meditating on it, and worshipping it you can bring into your life the archetept of that being. You develop all the things that archetype stands for. So if you focus on the being of shiva, the destroyer, you connect to that energy and transform (if you got the intent to do this). You destroy all the parts of yourself that are petty illusion, until you come to your core being, thus get enlightened. The same can be said about jesus, if you were to really pray, which is a form of meditation, then you could focus on jesus to such a level that you are transformed. Come closer to what his energy or state of being stands for and tried to teach others. That IMHO makes more sense then nit picking over his teachings and getting into ego battles with others to see who's knowledge is longer.

That is how I look at it, some may disagree. These things are very powerful aspects of human psychology and are cultural phenomina too. Like the corperate symbols that stand for certain businesses, the logo what represents it all. Or a countries Flag ect.

In reiki you get the same thing. Each healing energy has a different symbol, and even though the energy is fluid and stuff, you focus on the symbol during healing. Its not just that the symbol represents the energy, but it is the energy, like how you get various constructions that form atoms.

I guess there are similar things in psychology too, although rather then symbols you use words. So if you say someone is aracnaphobic, it means he is scared of spiders, and if I am mistaken then lets go with it anyway. And so this word means a combination of things, and not just fear when around spiders. It means they may get anxiety, may suffer from physical changes like rapid heart beat, and a variety of things that make up the term aracnaphoic.

So, if you were to meditate on the god of forgiveness, you could develop all the things accosiated with forgiveness. ie all the things you need to truly forgive someone. At least that is my interpritation of this issue.

Molybdenum said:
I think that if everything gets stripped at once it's much harder for the remaining personality structure to function properly since it's such a massive change which is why people who dropped all of their constrictions at once, and I do believe they exist, can have a non-functional period while they readjust and rebuild.

There is no such thing as a non-function period. If someone gets this experience and decided to sit down and look at their hands in total bliss for two years, then that is their choice. They looked at the pros/cons and decided that from their percpetive, it makes sense to to do that. Plus in these experience you no longer have a perception of time, since you are focused on motions -which is all that there is. You either conduct motions and are focused on what your doing as you move through the world, or you sit down motionless and be aware of the ebs and flows of the motions around you. You cant say that about 4.5 seconds have gone past since you stopped talking. It doesnt work that way, since time doesnt exist but is more of a measuring stick to understand how things move. ie things move in time not along time. Looking at hands is understandable, you've seen yours all your life, and so if you suddenly really see them via a perfect view of reality.. it is interesting. But I think the bliss bit is why you would sit down for so long, and your not inactive, your more conscious then ever so who knows what your thinking.

Overall I do not think you were long enough in the experience to even being to understand what was going on. I think you shut it down before it had fully developed. And you are always in full control, more so with this stuff, since your consciousness is free. It has more of an effect.

There is no such thing as a non-function period.
\

Yeah, I know, like I said in a previous post there is no judgment of their choice as good or bad from the perspective of the absolute. I also completely understand why they would make those choices, hell it's fun to play with my hands if I get myself in a non-judgmental enough mindset. However, that style overall does not suit me personally just as joining a formal religious tradition or becoming a renunciate monk doesn't suit me. Gotta be careful how I use my words around you, huh? ;)

Overall I do not think you were long enough in the experience to even being to understand what was going on.

I respectfully disagree. There were no "facts" to understand, but I grokked it and that grok matched everything I've seen in books on zen and buddhism, even metaphorically in the bible (ever take a look back through it? It's very clear in a lot of the less altered passages that mystical experience is being talked about). If there were actual facts that could be understood or translated, any motion that was "going on" beyond the perfect free action of the world, it would have been a lesser experience, of which I have also had many. I did not have time to begin categorizing and exploring a lot of the subtle perceptive modalities that were suddenly available and which strike me as a particular interest of yours, that much is true. I have gradually become open to those in practice.

I think you shut it down before it had fully developed. And you are always in full control, more so with this stuff, since your consciousness is free. It has more of an effect.

There was no where else it could develop to, there were no boundaries and no core left. With the control thing, I think we have again run into a problem of me saying tomato and you saying tomatoe and one of us thinking we are talking about something different, which is the reason I stopped reading alt.zen. If we are referring to the small "I" then that I controlled the duration of the experience. However, from the absolute perspective control is a meaningless concept; all that exists is the free action of the absolute which in this case included the ego structures of the small I reasserting control after a few seconds. I was trying to convey a sense of the inherent paradox using the instance of control.

Plus in these experience you no longer have a perception of time, since you are focused on motions -which is all that there is.

From the absolute perspective there is no such thing as motion; all time perfectly exists as it is. It is also equally valid to say that no things have an inherent existence, as anything which can be delimited is constantly in flux. Two apparently contradictory statements that delineate the limitations of our language in explaining true reality.

I think it's this kind of contradiction that explains why followers who have not had the insights themselves start squabbling and dividing once the original energy of religious founders has left them.

The comment on prayer to Jesus was extremely accurate. Sometimes for a change of pace I do Christian prayer meditations as well. Same energy activation, same progress. Now if only even a small subset of Christians understood how to truly pray... but that's a pipe dream. Nearly all of them are using it as an ego-defending crutch and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Last edited: