Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

[Combo Subthread] Psychedelics & Cannabis

TheAppleCore

Bluelighter
Welcome to the Psychedelics & Cannabis Combo Subthread

Relevant threads:

[original post:]

Serotonergic psychedelics seem to powerfully cancel out the effects of marijuana for me.

I have a very naturally low tolerance to cannabis, and I need about one to two small/medium hits of the strain that I'm currently smoking to reach a comfortable high. A couple nights ago, I was tripping on probably 180-190 micrograms of LSD, and over the course of the trip I smoked easily 5 times that amount, and yet still the effect seemed to be pretty diminished in comparison to my usual couple hits. The trip, in other words, wasn't terribly different from what it would have been had I not smoked anything at all.

I know that I've also smoked DMT on buds before, and even after the effects of the DMT had mostly worn off, I didn't feel stoned at all.

Does anyone else notice this phenomenon? If so, is there any speculation as to why this is? I was wondering if psychedelic drugs saturate some of the receptors which cannabinoids usually agonize?

Last edited by a moderator:
^I'm pretty sure cannabis doesn't effect serotonergic systems that LSD does. Thats odd though, I find that weed on a psychedelic utterly blows me away, both drugs become a lot stronger...Weed can get strong to the point of too much so..

Not really I don't think. Maybe the effects of a psychedelic can overpower those of cannabis in some ways, but overall I don't think theu actually diminish the effects, just make them less noticeable.

Personally I find them to be synergistic and make for a mind blowing combo, but some find it to be a bad highly anxiogenic combo. Neither of these positions would be popular were psychedelics to cancel out the cannabis high.

I have found that my weed smoking has become more and more mental effects as I have gone along. Any body load, thought processes and hallucinations that just being stoned might bring out, the LSD already has anyway.
Although sometimes if I go for about 4 hours into a trip without smoking and then have a few big ones, I find it sends things into overdrive.

Personally weed is something that I will take with just about any psychedelic when I'm coming down to bring it back up, and I've heard many people who would back this. So I would say your experience is a bit on the weird side

I've heard people say this about multiple psyches. For me its totally the opposite. Smoking any noids whilst tripping is incredibly amplified especially dependent on tolerance and amounts smoked. I certainly do not have to smoke more when I trip though.

That's weird, usually when I smoke weed it intensifies my trip 100 fold. I still cannot describe to you the shit I have seen from that combination.

Maybe try getting stoned before taking psychs? Or eating thc instead of smoking it, perhaps it will effect you differently.

i love this combo. inspecting my weed is even more fun on LSD. the bud seems to glow with youth and color O_O....smoking just puts me in a better state, but hey i'm a pot-head what can i say?

For me personally, weed has always intensified the psychedelic experience. Has never meshed well with me and psilocybes, but on those LSD expeditions...don't get me started! 8o

Each hit took me further away from reality until I had no reference or memory of what 'sober' reality was even like anymore. Pure fuckin blisssssssssssssss

everyone's biochemical makeup is different. who knows why you experience this.
all i know is one to two bong rips when im trippin with lucy and its goodbye planet earth.

It seems like a large amount of serotonin-based psychotropics seem to not affect me at all unless I smoke weed after I take it. I think the only time I tripped without smoking was with 4-AcO-DMT. Even higher doses of LSD, shrooms, and Molly only give threshold effects until I smoke. In one case, I took some shrooms (4g, liberty caps, if memory serves) and remained almost entirely sober for two hours until smoking – then I took off. Strange things. Perhaps it's because I used to take anti-depressants? Although my friend has taken far more SSRIs than I, and she doesn't have this problem. I've got some ADHD (i.e., stimulants are virtually ineffective, even cocaine, although I've never had any other symptoms [something else, then?]), so maybe it's that? A combination? I'd love to hear about anyone else with this situation.

It seems like a large amount of serotonin-based psychotropics seem to not affect me at all unless I smoke weed after I take it. I think the only time I tripped without smoking was with 4-AcO-DMT. Even higher doses of LSD, shrooms, and Molly only give threshold effects until I smoke. In one case, I took some shrooms (4g, liberty caps, if memory serves) and remained almost entirely sober for two hours until smoking – then I took off. Strange things. Perhaps it's because I used to take anti-depressants? Although my friend has taken far more SSRIs than I, and she doesn't have this problem. I've got some ADHD (i.e., stimulants are virtually ineffective, even cocaine, although I've never had any other symptoms [something else, then?]), so maybe it's that? A combination? I'd love to hear about anyone else with this situation.

I don't take any scripts but I am in pretty much the same boat as you. I almost always smoke when I take a psych or dissociative, exceptions include being somewhere I can't, being out, or being on DMT or a big dose of a dissociative.

My visuals go way up when I get high with weed or synthetic cannabinoids at any time from the peak, but I have noticed that thought processes tend to get a bit less directed + clear and more memory recall problems appear when I use the combo.

for me weed+ ANY other drug= great time. Ive heard of some people not agreeing with this, but it's almost as if when I dont smoke while on various different psychedelics I become anxious and feel much more "strung out" almost. Weed to me is more addicting than any other substance (not physically of course, only habitually and mentally)

I use cannabis to take my trips to new heights. Waves of anxiety sometimes occur, but this is pretty much average for cannabis.

I was tripping on probably 180-190 micrograms of LSD, and over the course of the trip I smoked easily 5 times that amount, and yet still the effect seemed to be pretty diminished in comparison to my usual couple hits.

I know that I've also smoked DMT on buds before, and even after the effects of the DMT had mostly worn off, I didn't feel stoned at all.

Does anyone else notice this phenomenon? If so, is there any speculation as to why this is? I was wondering if psychedelic drugs saturate some of the receptors which cannabinoids usually agonize?

Perhaps you just didn't notice the effect of pot much because you were tripping pretty hard to begin with? I think a lot of times if I am on psychs and I smoke, if the pot doesn't make me hallucinate then I don't get that much additional boost from it... or that I am in your boat in saying the effect is a bit diminished.

Sometimes though if I dosed enough, the pot can bring on hallucinations, which obviously makes you say damn.

Regarding smoking after DMT, I think because DMT is such a strong mental experience in itself that it expends your brain's ability to respond to other drugs in general. This could be true for your LSD experience as well. Another thing you don't mention is the bud quality. Quality most definitely plays a role in all of this, and you could even predict some kinds of pot will be more effective at "working" after using a psychedelic, or better at kicking in those visuals. Each strain is different...

Also I find stimulants dull the mental effect of pot quite a bit for me, predisposing me to wanting to smoke more. I think this is pretty common for a lot of people though. There can be cross-talk between the systems pot activates in the brain with systems that other drugs activate- it doesn't have to be through the same receptor for two drugs to enhance or dull each other, there just has to be a common point of downstream signaling inside the cell.

weed + psychedellics

Perhaps someone here might be able to enlighten me on my confusion.
Why exactly is it that marijuana potentiates psychedellics a great amount where as when I smoke on say stimulants, I don't feel like I'm even getting high in the first place?

Right and that makes sense, but benzos generally kill a trip, however if you smoke weed on benzos they still synthesize together nicely.