• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Colon Cleanse / Cleansing your System / Colonic Irrigation

This is jdude3... my login got funky.

Colon cleanses are proven to enhance overall physical health

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! BY WHO ? You people frigging amaze me. Talk about selective perception... did you take the time to click a single link I provided? Dare not upset your reality I suppose....

There is, and I repeat, ***ABSOLUTLY NO PROOF WHATSOEVER*** that colon cleansing has ANY HEALTH BENAFITS AT ALL. It has in fact been determined to be dangerous. Doctors have been FORBIDDEN from performing the procedure in many places. If you can site ONE SINGLE academic study done by legitimate credentialed researchers that back up your claim I will personally send you ten dollars and get a cleanse myself uuuum kay.

Grrrr...

Ok Ok.. calming down.... deep breaths... Sorry to vent, but ignorance pisses me off, and the idea behind this website is harm reduction. Premoting a harmfull procedure is IMO a bad idea.

I know absolutely no one who has been harmed by any type of colon cleansing. I only know people who have EXPERIANCED benefits. There have been a few freak accidents with colonic irrigation, but thats not all we are talking about here. When I am talking about colon cleansing I mean from the INSIDE out, like with added fiber and a healthy diet. I dont see whats so hard for you to understand about the fact that improving your digestion by making your digestive track healthier (through cleansing, probiotics, etc.) will make you feel better overall?

^^^^^ "but thats not all we are talking about here. When I am talking about colon cleansing I mean from the INSIDE out,"

My appologies... :) Fiber.. etc. is a good thing.

I will chill out I promise.

research your way of balancing harm (like drug use side effects)
with appropriate treatments (such as herbs, diet, exercise, meds, ...ect ect)

when you have educated yourself ...listen to your body
then learn what works best
...be kind to your colon

you body is a temple of balance from my side of this fence

There is, and I repeat, ***ABSOLUTLY NO PROOF WHATSOEVER*** that colon cleansing has ANY HEALTH BENAFITS AT ALL.

Well, in just the simple matter of absorption alone, impacted fecal matter that forms plaque over time because of a diet poor in fiber can significantly inhibit the absorption of nutrients. Also, more stagnant fecal matter raises your risk of parasites taking hold. Colon health is a key mechanism in our ability to receive the proper nutrients. . . . . and it's spelled "BENEFITS". 8(

Sorry to vent, but ignorance pisses me off, and the idea behind this website is harm reduction.

Ignorance? I speak only with the knowledge I have learned in college, med school, and the doctors I work with, especially the gastroenterologists. Most people shun away from such an idea like colon cleansing just because of latent issues with sticking anything up their ass and see it as unnecessary and unnatural.

Last edited:
I speak only with the knowledge I have learned in college, med school, and the doctors I work with, especially the gastroenterologists.

Sorry about the spelling.

So no literature to back up these claims? You must have some of those med school books kicking around still.

I would really like to see the sceintific flip side of this coin, as everything I am reading is opposing this view. I am open to learing somthing new here... educate me! :)

Appropriate diet, fiber, etc. are good for health.. I am refering to colonic irrigation.

You're not going to find too much literature on preventative colon care on the web without it being attached to shameless marketing for cleansing products. Your best source of anatomy/physiology/pathology on the digestive system is your local city library. If you have a med school near a univerity in your city, that's probably the best source. For example, here in Chicago, the U of I at Chicago shares a Library Of Health Sciences with Rush, Cook County, and VA hospitals all in the same vicinity. Anyone with a student ID from any college/university can access them. More specifically, JAMA (Journal of the American Medical Association) is the greatest source for topical research studies, especially on nutrition and preventative dietary behaviors. If you're limited to the net, you can go to www.ama-assn.org (AMA's site) and search their current journals and archives with "preventative colon health" or other phrases similar. There are tons of articles and abstracts.

Yes but how many people that take in large amounts of meat really are conscious of their colon health? Very little if any. This is about keeping your bowels moving and clean and that can be done with the appropriate amounts of fiber and probiotics. Not to say that you should eat meat constantly, but eating meat long term with moderation and the appropriate balanced diet is key. It's not the actual "long-term" meat consumption that is really the problem - ask a nutritionist the next time you go to the doctor. Diet is about variety and smart choices, not narrow-minded food biases.

ever since this bit on "jackass" where johnny knoxville gets a colonic, i've been meaning to get one too. i don't have access to one of those clinics, though. the thought of removing all the impurities from my body is really appealing. for now, i just try my best to eat lots of fibre. (i'm british, excuse my spelling.)

I dont know that many people who are concious of their colon health AT ALL, with the exception of you guys on here and other health web sites I go to. Most of my friends in real life would all look at me like I was nuts if I tried to explain doing a fast or a colon cleanse. It seems like a lot of people dont even really understand the importance of fiber in a diet, or even what fiber IS. Its sad really. :\

I have had a few consecutive monthly colonic treatments.

I went with my boyfriend who was chronically constipated from taking Effexor. At least that is what he attributed it to. Looking back, it didn't make me feel any better. Lighter in the wallet. The hydrotherapist wanted me do do a liver flush. I decided not to. I didn't feel I needed to. We stopped going.

We discontinued eating meat and chicken over 3 months ago. My bowel movements are the very best. Removing meat from my diet produced a more noticeable change than colonics.

My boyfriend now takes Citrucel (methylcellulose fiber therapy) daily and he hasn't returned to the state of constipation.

it would be far cheaper and less embarassing to do an enema at home
some careful preparation would be needed or someone to help with the procedure during a run through

paying someone money to do something that invasive is like paying a proctologist to wipe your ass ... or a gynecologist to give a "douche".

notice: you can stick things up your ass at home, cheaply and privately ;)

be gentle and knowledgable when it comes to your colon

each part of our body has a job, the colon eliminates,
our body supposed to work like a machine. balance with assistance ...not interference with natural functionality. unless you understand your body and how it works with you...for your optimal functioning ....you shouldn't interfere with this system of the body without knowing the risks.
"cleansing the colon" can be useful if used appropriately,
and sometimes medically necessary
... as with any treatment there are contraindications.
it is not generally considered recreational, or experimentally beneficial due to potential complications.

there are many colon treatments, used for different indications. ask a pharmacist or your doctor to help you decide a short and long term plan for maintaining a healthy functioning gastrointestinal system.

a minimally invasive temporary colon therapy such as a suppository or sensible and gentle lubrication are the least complicated in theory

digital stimulation/disimpaction are only medically indicated due to invasiveness and complications

a bottled enema or homemade preparation could be used in cases of prolonged constipation or due to circumstances like being on bedrest or dietary limitations. bottled available at any drugstore, read AND the follow the directions. recipes are sketchy unless you know what you're getting into.

oral ingestion/nutrition, or supplementation using medication ...is far less severe than invading your colon. start there.
if the situation dictates the treatment of an enema or similar procedure ...hey ...it has it's place

any drug users/abusers or enthusiasts should be aware that most meds/drugs interfere with normal GI function

coke heads with feces breath ...due to constipation and other imbalances
(totally preventable with proper care and knowledge)

....bleh ...enough ranting ...take care of your WHOLE self

StagnantReaction said:
Uhh.. none if they're eating meat?

There's a huge difference between someone eating nothing but steak and walking around with a distended belly and someone who eats moderate amounts of beef, chicken, pork, or turkey and ALSO eats plenty of vegetables, whole grains, and wider varieties of foods. You can't equate the act of eating meat in and of itself with bad colon health. The dietary context in which you are eating that meat is what counts. It's like when people freak when they hear about pit bulls. It's not the meat or the pit bull that's the issue here, it's the individual and how he or she chooses to handle the situation and items involved. Meat and pit bulls are not bad by nature, however in the hands of ignorant individuals, they make them that way.

DJDannyUhOh said:
There's a huge difference between someone eating nothing but steak and walking around with a distended belly and someone who eats moderate amounts of beef, chicken, pork, or turkey and ALSO eats plenty of vegetables, whole grains, and wider varieties of foods.

That's so weird, because every text I've read has told me that in order to improve my colon health, I should eat more plants. Period. More plants, no matter what they are. Conversely, texts also imply that meat has no fiber, and dietary fiber is the source of good colon health.

Is it not logical to suggest that any increase in the intake of meat will reduce the overall fiber you are consuming, thus decreasing a good flow of feces in your colon, causing backups and, down the line, cancer? It seems that ANYTHING has more fiber than meat.

The evidence is stacking up.. even the alternate source of protein besides meat, legumes, seems to have the highest amount of fiber! 8(

The Top Twenty Fiber Foods
This list can serve as a general guide. For more specific calorie and fiber content of particular foods, to estimate your daily and weekly quotas, refer to the alphabetical chart that follows:
1. Dried beans, peas, and other legumes
This includes baked beans, kidney beans, split peas, dried limas, garbanzos, pinto beans and black beans.
2. Bran cereals
Topping this list are Bran Buds and All-Bran, but 100% Bran, Raisin Bran, Most and Cracklin' Bran are also excellent sources.
3. Fresh or frozen lima beans, both Fordhook and baby limas
4. Fresh or frozen green peas
5. Dried fruit, topped by figs, apricots and dates
6. Raspberries, blackberries and strawberries
7. Sweet corn, whether on the cob or cut off in kernels
8. Whole-wheat and other whole-grain cereal products.
Rye, oats, buckwheat and stone-ground cornmeal are all high in fiber. Bread, pastas, pizzas, pancakes and muffins made with whole-grain flours.
9. Broccoli-very high in fiber!
10. Baked potato with the skin
(The skin when crisp is the best part for fiber.) Mashed and boiled potatoes are good, too-but not french fries, which contain a high percentage of fat.
11. Green snap beans, pole beans, and broad beans
(These are packaged frozen as Italian beans, in Europe they are known as haricot or french beans.)
12. Plums, pears, and apples
The skin is edible, and are all high in pectin.
13. Raisins and prunes
Not as high on the list as other dried fruits (see #5) but very valuable.
14. Greens
Including spinach, beet greens, kale, collards, swiss chard and turnip greens.
15. Nuts
Especially almonds, Brazil nuts, peanuts, and walnuts (Consume these sparingly, because of their high fat content.).
16. Cherries
17. Bananas
18. Carrots
19. Coconut
(dried or fresh-but both are high in fat content).
20. Brussels sprouts

That's so weird, because every text I've read has told me that in order to improve my colon health, I should eat more plants. Period. More plants, no matter what they are. Conversely, texts also imply that meat has no fiber, and dietary fiber is the source of good colon health.

Umm, when did I say meat had fiber in it?

I'm saying that it's possible for people who eat moderate amounts of meat to have excellent colon health provided they mind their diet. Eating a hamburger now and then (I'm not taking about the highest tertile of red meat consumption) isn't going to compromise your colon health provided you eat sufficient amounts of other foods that you should be eating anyway. Having a healthy colon shouldn't be negatively associated with moderate meat consumption.

Last edited:
The physiological differences between carnivores and herbivores in the digestive system

Meat eater
The stomach contains strong hydrochloric acid in the stomach to digest meat (pH of less than or equal to 1 with food in stomach). The intestinal tract is 3 times the body length so that rapidly decaying meat can pass through quickly. It is smooth for easy passage.

Herbivore
The stomach has a pH of 4 to 5 with food in stomach. The intestinal track is 10 - 12 times the body length. It is pocketed to extract maximum nutrients from the fibrous vegetables and fruit.

Human
The stomach has a pH of 4 to 5 with food in stomach. The intestinal track is 12 times the body length. It is pocketed to extract maximum nutrients from the fibrous vegetables and fruit.

I strongly suggest everyone read Walter Willett's studies on Diet and Cancer

Now we step into some deep territory.

The evidence that high consumption of fruits and vegetables can reduce the risk of many cancers is strong, but the constituents of these foods that are responsible for these reduced risks are less clear. These foods contain many biologically active chemicals(ie NOT DEAD), including recognized nutrients and many more nonnutritive constituents, that could potentially reduce cancer incidence [86]. Potentially protective factors include various carotenoids, folic acid, vitamin C, flavonoids, phytoestrogens, isothiocyanates and fiber (discussed below). The identification of the specific protective constituents, or combination of constituents, is a daunting task and may never be completely possible.

In case-control studies, intake of cereal products or fiber from grains has not usually been associated with reduced risks of colon cancer, in contrast to the better support for a protective effect of fruits and vegetables [100, 101]. In some studies, higher consumption of grains has been associated with greater risks of colon cancer [102-105].

So wait!! Fiber doesn't necessarily prevent colon cancer? But fruits and vegetables (in unexplicable ways except noting that they're alive) do indeed protect against this form of cancer? Read on..

Next, take a look at Relation of meat, fat, and fiber intake to the risk of colon cancer in a prospective study among women

His results are as follows:
After adjustment for total energy intake, animal fat was positively associated with the risk of colon cancer (P for trend = 0.01); the relative risk for the highest as compared with the lowest quintile was 1.89 (95 percent confidence interval, 1.13 to 3.15). No association was found for vegetable fat. The relative risk of colon cancer in women who ate beef, pork, or lamb as a main dish every day was 2.49 (95 percent confidence interval, 1.24 to 5.03), as compared with those reporting consumption less than once a month. Processed meats and liver were also significantly associated with increased risk, whereas fish and chicken without skin were related to (only)decreased risk. The ratio of the intake of red meat to the intake of chicken and fish was particularly strongly associated with an increased incidence of colon cancer (P for trend = 0.0005); the relative risk for women in the highest quintile of this ratio as compared with those in the lowest quintile was 2.49 (95 percent confidence interval, 1.50 to 4.13). A low intake of fiber from fruits appeared to contribute to the risk of colon cancer, but this relation was not statistically independent of meat intake.

So it's the animal fat, eh? What's the worst for your colon? Red meat, of course. That would fall under the group of big animals such as cow meat, pig meat, sheep meat.. all of which are more biologically similar to us than, say, a bird like chicken and turkey. Still, turkeys are warm-blooded creatures like us, so of course they'll pose some sort of risk, even if it's decreased. Fish is the best for us, right? And how similar are those low-intellect creatures to us?

Okay, time to back away. I'm crawling down a bitter, dark path of lateral thinking. Ouch! Thank god I'm a veggie. Love those protective plants.

>>We discontinued eating meat and chicken over 3 months ago. My bowel movements are the very best. Removing meat from my diet produced a more noticeable change than colonics.

Yes, and I too am proud to say my poo has no problem ejecting as well.

Last edited:
>>Umm, when did I say meat had fiber in it?

You didn't. You implied that eating some sort of meat in your diet is not detrimental to colonic health, and I followed up by disproving that implication.

At no time did I say that you said meat had fiber in it. Are you a text, because I did note that texts have said that meat has no fiber. Confused?