• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Cold Water Extraction (CWE) Mega Thread & FAQ v2.0

CWE Question

I have a quick question about CWE method.

Im a first timer at using CWE and decided to try it out on tylenol 1's. (8mg codeine/300 mg acetaminophen) Anyhow I have read many posts on how the process is done for quite some time now and have finally decided to try it out myself. I crushed 15 tablets up mixed them up in fairly hot water (tap water), cooled them down in the freezer for 25 mins after having them cool to room temp and then filtered them through a double coffee filter that was pre-wet. Anyhow after 10 mins of having the solution filter through I noticed that the solution was hardly moving through the filter at all so I decided to help it out by squeezing the filter. The solution moved through very rapidly and left quite a bit of residue in the filter. I drank the solution and have just started noticing the effects =D but have come across another post saying that you should not squeeze the solution through the filter.

So my question to anyone reading this is:

Do you think that squeezing the solution through the filter allowed tons of acetaminophen to pass through the coffee filter or not? As I said there was quite a bit of residue left and the water in my opinion, as a first timer, was pretty clear in comparison to images of the process that I have seen on the net.

Any info/ideas would be great! Thanks all!

Not any sort of dangerous amount would have come through I do that sometimes too. But alot of times I'll just get a second filter and squeeze the shit from the one into that and just filter the whole solution again, only if I'm doing alot though, if I'm just doing like 10 or 15 hydrocodone 10/650s I don't do it.

if you're really that (visually) concerned about the apap levels in your final solution then take the time to put it through a second filter. maybe don't squeeze it through so hard, or at all, in the future to avoid this problem.

if you've used a large solution of water it's possible that larger amounts of apap will end up in the final solution, especially if the setup if crude and rushed. it's a simple process with low costs so take your time to do it right the first time round:)

merging into CWE mega thread.

I usually squeeze... and I do CWE's on huge amounts of tablets and my liver checked out fine in a blood test last year.

As long as your filter isn't too porous to begin with it will be OK. :)

I did a CWE on 8x 8/500 co-codamol the other day to check I wasn't one of those who were overly sensitive to it. I am confident I did it correctly but I felt very little so 45 minutes after drinking it I had 25 mg diphenhydramine. Then I just felt tired...
How many 8/500 tablets should I extract on my next try? I'm tempted to do the remaining 24 but if it will be pointless doing more than 16 say I'm open to suggestions. I'm opiate-naive (if you can't tell) but would rather next time was worthwhile. Thoughts please?

Last edited:
^ The first time I really felt codeine I used 24 10/500 tablets. I was opioid naive as well.

If you still have the diphenhydramine, I'd say go for the 24. If the histmaine reaction or nausea gets uncomfortable, then pop the diphen and it will reduce it. Works as a nice potentiator, though I prefer doxylamine or promethazine.

Been a while since I visited the forum.

Using X24 packs 15mg Panadiene Extra in CWE.

Tepid water approx 100-125mls, 10-15mins to melt, add 3-4 cubes of ice and into the freezer for 20mins.

Filter through size 4-6cup Harris coffee filter. EDIT the larger Harris filters have a high fail rate by splitting.

I don't filter at room temp, as I suspect the liquid will increase in temp and the APAP may become soluble into the mix again. So, back into the freezer for 5 mins, then the fridge for 20mins.

My extraction is clear, no cloudiness full stop.

^ I got a fairly transparent solution the other day by using a t-shirt instead of a business shirt for the filter. I don't have time for coffee filters.

Even if your water was at 31C though, you would only get 1 gram per 70mls roughly. So room temperature is nothing to be too worried about.

Anyone in the UK notice a product that provides the best results for the best price?

I'm talking codeine or DHC.

I have found the best is the Boots brand "Aspirin with Codeine" is good. 400mg/8mg Aspirin/Codeine. Dirt cheap and they go through a filter very quickly and clearly.
Only downside is the taste! A 100ml solution will still have about 300mg aspirin in it and boy is it HORRIBLE!!!

I have found DHC is a bit of a waste of money, and I can get 30's anyway, but if you must have it then Boots steps up to the plate again (no, I don't work for Boots!) with it's own brand: "Paracetamol and Dihydrocodeine".
Cheaper than Paramol and it doesn't leave that dodgy residue in the final solution either, so you can drink it without feeling so skitz.

Any other suggestions?

Also, anyone know any brand names for promethazine in the UK? I don't want to go into a pharmacy specifically asking for the specific chemical.

Also, I have noticed some stomach discomfort when using aspirin preparations.
It can kind of ruin the buzz imagining your stomach bleeding when high. Ugh.

I'm confident that my CWE is good; the liquid is always crystal clear, I never use more than 150ml of water etc., so the most I am getting is around 600mg of aspirin, right?

I always drink the solution on an empty stomach however, so what ways are there to prevent damage from aspirin? Would an ant-acid or something help? What about yoghurt and ginger root?

Aspirin has two primary ways it damages your stomach when taken in solution (there are others with the pills not dissolving well but we can ignore those). The first is reduction of mucus production so the stomach acid damages the stomach lining. Taking with food will help with this somewhat. The second is interactions with natural(?) bacteria in some people's stomach lining which interacts with the aspirin and causes irritation. Aspirin use might not be the best idea in these people.

If you get DHC you should consider plugging it as unlike codeine it is not a prodrug and people find that rectal administration can greatly increase your buzz.

^^ I have only seen DHC with paracetamol and it's expensive.

I sometimes plug DHC when I get it in the pure tablets. Eat 5 + plug 6 = nice.

You can plug codeine too i hear, but the aspirin would burn your arsehole surely?

I think maybe having a yoghurt or something else to line your stomach before drinking the solution is maybe the way to go.

Plugging codeine is controversial since it is a prodrug and needs to be metabolized to C6G and morphine in the liver so although more gets into the bloodstream it bypasses primary metabolism.

I always thought the only way to take codeine was via the oral route...

Taking it rectally will still have the codeine enter the bloodstream, and the blood will still all pass through the liver which will convert it to mophine and codeine-6-glucuronide and a few other actives.

The problem is it skips the first pass metabolism (where blood goes directly from the digestive tract to the liver) which means not as much active ingredient is converted right off the bat.

SWIM has it down to a very good science, only way SWIM could get it better is with chloroform. Take pills, cover 200 with about a cup and a half of EXTREMELY cold water. Put a clean stainless or silver spoon in and spin it around a bit but take care to not crush. Leave until its moosh and no pills are left undissolved, and check with the spoon. Having the spoon in while its dissolving helps, as does using thick glass that is very very cold before you start. Prepare two funnels, works best if you have a setup with a pole so one drips into the other and then into a flask or pyrex dish. The first funnel has a loosely packed cotton ball in the spout and the other has a basket style coffee filter or better a lab grade filter that has been pre-wet with extremely cold water. Let it go slowly, don't rush it. The final product will be absolutely clear, if its not you fucked up with the stirring and broke the filler molecules apart and it will make you sick as hell because more of the gack will stick to the water and the goods. Its smart to use a airtight container and keep it cool, the second and third pull is nowhere near as potent so be careful if you have a heart condition large amounts of caffeine could hurt. This only works with aspirin, codeine and caffeine pills. Add a little salt to the final mix to not harm your tissue - it also tends to make a bit of caffeine drop out. This is suitable for plugging but don't make a habit of it - it causes massive bile ejections to go up, and because the caffeine is a diuretic it will also tend to cause little funny liver stones and gall bladder blockage. Not to mention hemmhoroids, varicose veins and potentially serious damage to the bottom foot of your colon if you use too much, clench hard or have shit that is going to suck up everything you just used. Its perfectly fine orally but be careful, if your ears have a distant hollow sound or start sounding like you are underwater you fucked up, and the cold water was nowhere near cold enough. It should be right on the virge of freezing and absolutely free of chemical contaminants. City water treatment not only is bad for your insides but it also has factors which cause unpredictable leaching of gack into the final product by changing the fundamental bonds that make a CWE possible. If you intend to store it for a period of time take care to not have any air there - codeine sublimiates very rapidly even when it appears stable, and if its meant to be stored make sure the solution going into the container is the same temperature that it will be stored at, changing the temperature of the water with it completely saturated with codeine will cause some crystallization of the gack and end up with a horrible mess. SWIM has mused to me about the potential of a coldfinger for the x-traction, not really sure about that. If you are really serious about long term use of codeine or using it with a catalyst or whatever, invest your time in getting USP chloroform, not trying to fuck around with things that will eat your liver and leave you with leaky gut syndrome.

Ever hear of paragraphs 'swim'? Nobody reads posts like that.