• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Cold Water Extraction (CWE) Mega Thread & FAQ v2.0

Put in bottle use hot(ish) water use coffee filters soaked in warm water after the tablets are dissolved mine always come out crystal clear I don't even bother grinding th m any more the real secret is using the right filter you can also use a T-shirt to get rid of most of the apap then use normal filter for overall quicker results and finally don't forget to squeeze the filters very carefully

thanks. How long should you leave them to dissolve for? They seem to break up completely in about 10 minutes with a little stirring. Is that long enough for the codeine to disolve fully in the water?

whenyou say the right filter, what do you mean?. I got some standard coffee filters from the supermarket

experiment sainsbury's etc oh and dont use a cup and waste codeine put ur tabs in bottle smoother bottle shape the better put in warm water leave for a min to dissolve shake shake shake again filter it normally after doing this so many time I swear water bottles are made for this oh and always get the 'easy to swallow' ones if you can have fun

By the way anyone got any techniques for dealing with codeine nausea also has anyone had a phycidlelic experience on codeine or dhc? I know I have

It's in dispensaries but pricey. Check out Cannabis discussion or this: http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads...-with-cannabis-oil?highlight=rick+simpson+oil

Back to CWE now. It was a good point to wet the filter first, especially with something that holds a lot of liquid like a t-shirt filter.

Yeah...I used to so this often when prescribed opiates and would constantly run short. The codeine solution will "creap" up the filter by capillary action and some will be wasted if the filters are not wet first...obviously just don't wet them to the point that they break....oh and dont put too much of the dissolved gunk into one filter or it will split.

While the first filtering takes a while if you are concerned at all that the solution is too cloudy it doesn't take long to throw and ice cube in the solution and then filter again...the second filtration takes only a few minutes as there isn't all the gunk for the solution to have to pass through (if that makes sense).

I remember what its like when I started years ago now I can confidentiality do a proper hassle free extraction also don't listen to the guys who did the 8/500 cus 256 mg is note to stick us nose up at trust me 120 mg isn't either

Usually yes, just plain cotton fabric or sometimes fabric from a sheet or button up shirt. The benefit being it's stronger when twisting / wringing/ squeezing all of the remaining liquid out.

Usually yes, just plain cotton fabric or sometimes fabric from a sheet or button up shirt. The benefit being it's stronger when twisting / wringing/ squeezing all of the remaining liquid out.

I always used to feel very uncomfortsble using a t-shirt...in case it let too much APAP through. I never saw the point when a pack of 60 coffee filters costs about £1.50 from ANY supermarket and they give a much clearer solution

Likewise. I had a piece of dress shirt / high thread count fabric that was okay but now I just use Whatman Qualitative filter paper as it's always consistent and semi-strong. Not going to waste the money using wet strengthened resin impregnated filter paper, that's for special occasions with more exciting stuff.

Likewise. I had a piece of dress shirt / high thread count fabric that was okay but now I just use Whatman Qualitative filter paper as it's always consistent and semi-strong. Not going to waste the money using wet strengthened resin impregnated filter paper, that's for special occasions with more exciting stuff.

Yeah mate totally. I think a lot of people get very tied up in analysing the process of a CWE when in practice it's so simple....

dump tablets into cold water and stir until they are dissolved....filter through (wet) coffee filter papers places over a glass.....wait a hour or so until the residue in the filter paper looks dry (ish) and the drip into the glass has stopped...look at the solution and if it's fairly clear (it won't be crystal clear due to soluble binders in the tablets)....then drink it.

And that's basically it ...

You can make it more complicated by using warm water first to dissolve the pills and then cool the solution before filtering (not necessary) and you can run a small amount of water through the filter residue to extract a few extra milligrams of codeine (not necessary) etc but the process is so simple .

With practice you should be able to get 90-95% of the codeine out of the pills.....in the UK a pack of 32 8/500 codeine and paracetamol pills costs roughly £2 and for that you should be able to extract around 250mg of codeine liquid. If you have a high tollerence then buy 2 packs (you will have to go to 2 different chemists as most won't sell you 2 packs)...

I understand the concern since if it went totally wrong you would be consuming a toxic level of paracetamol but really it's a very easy process to learn and to master

Agreed. How this made it to 520 posts is a tad bit odd but I suppose it's thorough. The Temp lowering thing only seems to effect APAP and keeping a low volume with Ibuprofen. If you got a pile of damp powder in your filter something worked.

No friendly chemists with Codeine in the states, these days they have to order CII meds every time and won't keep them in stock, not a good time for pain patients.

Agreed. How this made it to 520 posts is a tad bit odd but I suppose it's thorough. The Temp lowering thing only seems to effect APAP and keeping a low volume with Ibuprofen. If you got a pile of damp powder in your filter something worked.

No friendly chemists with Codeine in the states, these days they have to order CII meds every time and won't keep them in stock, not a good time for pain patients.

The thinking in the UK is that with only 8mg codeine and 500mg of paracetamol in each pill no one would abuse them as to get a satisfactory amount of codeine you woukd kill yourself with the paracetamol. They must know about CWE but just conveniently pretend they don't lol.

about 15 or so years ago you could buy codeine/paracetamol tablets by the 100s at a time from a pharmacist but they brought in a law where all paracetamol products cant be sold in packs greater than 32 to avoid people trying to OD on it...

They obviously conveniently ignored the fact that every town has about 10 pharmacies in it and you just go from one to the other and but a pack feom each......they dont don't do any sort of checks on how much codeine you are buying.

Personally I don't like codeine but back in the day when I was on pain management and would run out early (as most if us have done) they were helpfully in preventing withdrawal. Personally I think loperamide does a better job at that but it has it's own dangers.

In the UK paracetamol is the most common stuff for people to intentionally overdose on. In my job I must have been to thousands of intentional paracetamol overdoses...What annoys me though is when someone takes 2000mg of paracetamol in a so called "suicide attempt" then immediately calls the paramedics (us).....I mean, for fuck sake why bother? Preferably please don't anyone try to end their life as it's too precious but if for what ever reason someone feels that's the only way out for them dont take 4 paracetamol and them immediately call an ambulance ....it wastes our time when we could be responding to people who are actually in real need of us..

***end rant***

I had a classmate from grade school who got depressed and downed 28grams of APAP, she was able to wait long enough for the N-acetyl-p-benzoquinonimine (NAPQI) to proliferate and she died a horrendous slow, yellow skinned death. I'm sure it would have taken a ton of N-acetyl cysteine to compensate for that much, but I guarantee she didn't know what was in store for her.

I can imagine being a paramedic requires some counseling skills to deal with all of the distraught and/or mental issues in patients out there. Like the police and 5150 (danger to themselves & others) cases.

Last edited:
Guys remember to dissolve pills in water bottle to help not lose any precious codeine I'm confident I have at least 240mg a pack after extract I'm gonna try get codeine linctus CU's I actually asked about in some friendly pharmacies and some said they didn't have any in 'at the moment' hmm lol I always get a cold this time of year to so I could use it but I refuse to buy the cough syrup online as I can get 2-3 times as much codeine for same price but now I wonder if I had the confidence to ask for linctus.. Hmm I think we actually have it pretty good here don't we lol

I had a classmate from grade school who got depressed and downed 18grams of APAP, she was able to wait long enough for the N-acetyl-p-benzoquinonimine (NAPQI) to proliferate and she died a horrendous slow, yellow skinned death. I'm sure it would have taken a ton of N-acetyl cysteine to compensate for that much, but I guarantee she didn't know what was in store for her.

I can imagine being a paramedic requires some counseling skills to deal with all of the distraught and/or mental issues out there. Like the police and 5150 (danger to themselves & others) cases.

If people knew that to take enough paracetamol to actually kill themself (the amount varies hugely) then they won't die straight away but have a long lingering terrible death they might not be so quick to do it.

There is councilling available but I don't really need it. The world isn't a nice place and I have always thought if you can accept that and rationionalise it then you won't have too many problems in that regard...that's just my opinion though I'm sure others would argue differently.

Guys remember to dissolve pills in water bottle to help not lose any precious codeine I'm confident I have at least 240mg a pack after extract I'm gonna try get codeine linctus CU's I actually asked about in some friendly pharmacies and some said they didn't have any in 'at the moment' hmm lol I always get a cold this time of year to so I could use it but I refuse to buy the cough syrup online as I can get 2-3 times as much codeine for same price but now I wonder if I had the confidence to ask for linctus.. Hmm I think we actually have it pretty good here don't we lol

You'll have a very hard job getting any chemist to sell you codeine linctus OTC nowadays....those days are largely long gone and it's all that pholcodeine (sp?) stuff now.