• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Coffee Thread (merged)

Miss_Spitfire said:
I agree with Starlight - actually, if there is a coffee snob - I'm it.
if you were a coffee snob you would agree with me.

darth mom: i was saying that buying "irish cream flavored coffee grounds" or "french vanilla flavored coffee grounds" isnt real coffee, so yes, i was correct in saying what i did.

just like finder--- i think you should drink what you like. and if you like your coffee full of chemicals, lacking freshness and the lowest quality ever... then so be it. i enjoy gas station french vanilla capuccinos sometimes, myself--- but i never dub them as 'real coffee' -- because it isnt. :)

Last edited:
faithfully dangerous said:
if you were a coffee snob you would agree with me.

8( 8( 8( Sorry dear, I'm not full of myself - I love coffee and I am a coffee snob - but I'm not so full of myself that I can't drink a cup of jo from a gas station either. People like what they like - and they shouldn't be talked down to b/c someone who's on their high horse thinks they know "better" and far be it from us peons to express an opinion different than yours. Again, I will say, "COUTH" is priceless.

^can you read?

just like finder--- i think you should drink what you like. and if you like your coffee full of chemicals, lacking freshness and the lowest quality ever... then so be it. i enjoy gas station french vanilla capuccinos sometimes, myself--- but i never dub them as 'real coffee' -- because it isnt. :)

The point of being a "snob" of something is that you DONT partake in the stuff that you consider beneath you. That is what a snob is!

A wine snob doesn't drink Arbor Mist

A beer snob doesn't drink bud light

and a coffee snob won't drink 7-11 cappucinos ;)

^can you read?

whatever - you've already shown your true colors. Being a "coffee" snob and being a "snob" in general are two different things -

Let me know when you decide to take up "couth 101" classes dear.

Please keep it civil, people. We are talking about coffee, the nectar of the gods!

Now everyone STFU and lets have a cup. :D

LOL, talk about talking down.. you're doing the same thing, how is that ANY better, seriously? 8(

Once again, fd comes out with her incorrect and misplaced attempts at culinary snobbery. The Turks, Italians and the French all have long traditions of flavoring their coffee.

I can remember, as a wee lad in the restaurants of Old Europe, my parents ordering cappuccino and espresso. Dad's espresso was always served with a lemon zest and Mom's cappuccino was always served with cinnamon. These weren't just for decoration.

(Incidentally, in Europe, espresso is always served with sugar, as well, so get this anti-sweetening snobbery out of your head, too. If you don't like sugar in your coffee, fine. But don't try to claim it's more traditional.)

PS: More mad props to the Vietnamese shizzle. It's off the hizzle.

i dont see how ground up coffee isnt "real" coffee. if it's ground up, it's still from the same thing, correct?

I didn't see anyone stating that merely pre-ground coffee isn't coffee. Read my post on the previous page about pre-ground coffee. :)

But there is some truth to it. Drinking preflavoured coffee is not coffee snobbery, it is cheap paste, cast-off beans that have been treated with a fast chemical adhesive. No one who is a Vodka snob would ever consider drinking Skyy in a Martini even if it tasted wonderful. The same applies for coffee.

However, AF is correct that many 'coffee cultures' have a fine tradition of flavouring their coffees. I knew an Italian roaster in Reggio Calabria that would roast his beens Cacao pods and rose hips. I've met serious Greek men that toasted Caradom and Clove in their mixtures. There is a severe difference between that type of flavouring and the cheap shit that is sold at Supermarkets.

AF - Cheers to you on Vietnamese coffee! Ever try Ethiopian T'Nur? Or Equador's Minerva? Similar acidicy and very robust.

Just like the chocolate industry, American coffee is generally mass produced for the less discerning masses. I keep several cans of Foldgers around my house for a quick morning cup but god forbid ever feeding it to my friends. Good strong Chicory is certainly my favorite morning cup (usually dripping with heavy cream and sugar goodness) but I rarely have the time. Also, if we hit the flavouring side of the issue its best to make your own additives. It is quite simple to buy a high proof vodka and soak your favorite flavour in it.

A quick recipe for a nice additive.

In 1/2 cup of high proof vodka soak
6 dark roast coffee beans
10 Dark chocolate chips
3 cloves

Let this sit for one week. This can be added to any 'green' coffee or even a medium dark espresso as a light 'natural' flavouring.

Oh, and I agree with the vanilla thing. Vanilla is the devil in coffee. But that's just my opinion.

^How do you add your vodka soak mix to coffee? Drain and brew with the six beans? Or is it a liquid you add to an already brewed cup?

randycaver said:
LOL, talk about talking down.. you're doing the same thing, how is that ANY better, seriously? 8(

Not that it's any of your business but I guess you get what you dish out huh? 8(

It's a soak so leave all the ingredients in and pour out into the coffee. Not usually more than a 1/2 teaspoon. Nice thing about it is once you begin to run low just add more vodka and soak. Similar to making your own homemade vanilla extract.

I like Merlo, Lavazza, and Segafredo espresso in a flat white. Sometimes a latte.
Segafredo is probably my fave, they choose only one cafe per area to sell it so it has a certain mystique about it.

Ladies, it's apparent you're in disagreement over this, , and that's fine, but please take it to PM. Any further bickering will be edited out! :) Thanks!

And thank you Finder for posting the coffee FAQ, I think that helped educate those of us who were confused over the "but that's not real coffee!" debate. Although now I am afraid to drink my Folgers knowing that its more chemical than coffee :( I'll get over it.