• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Coffee Thread (merged)

I don't think I can be friends with anyone who likes African coffees. :D

akoram said:
instant has a significantly lower caffeine content than dripped or perc'd coffees.

Really?!? I was under the impression it was the other way around... Maybe I should e getting into the ol' espresso 8o

I cannot put into words the emotions I feel when tasting an instant "coffee". Its like Artificial Nasty Flavor(tm) with some black dye and a little bit of caffiene.

I'm not too big into stuff that that has vaguely fruity or floral afternotes. I much prefer the types with an earthy taste (sumatran), sometimes vaguely woody (though woody is probaly not the right word). When I first heard about all the tsunami stuff, I was horrified when I heard that it had washed over portions of indonesia.. fearing that it might has destroyed quality coffee (not that I wasn't concerned for the people or anything).

If you've not tried anything from Kona island (Hawaii), you should give it a shot. The soil composition is pretty different from what most coffees are grow in due to all the volcanic rock content. Its good stuff.

Last edited:
I find it hilarious that people who know nothing about coffee or coffee drinks seem to think that french vanilla is the ONLY FLAVOR and that cappucinos are the only style of drink.
thank you 7-11 and other gas stations :)

randycaver said:

I've had some very yummy flavors of coffee from 7-11 or Sheetz and other various gas stations. I'm convinced Sheetz coffee has crack in it though. If I drink coffee from there I'm wired for hours, whereas usually my 3 cups that I drink in the morning don't do much for me other than help me keep my eyes open til I'm really "awake" :p

ITS NOT COFFEE IF ITS FLAVORED

GET THAT THROUGH YOUR HEADS

signed,
an ex-coffee shop employee who took her coffee tastings rather seriously

michelle: african coffees in general are awesome iced. siiiiiggghhhh. i cant wait til the summer, boy oh boy do i love ice coffee. i dont know if you ever had any of the starbucks gazebo blend, but OHMYGAWD it was amazing. apparently that's what they were supposed to supply for the in-store iced coffee (shaken) drinks but after the packets ran out the first time there wasnt really a change... anyway it's probably the brightest of all the coffees i've ever tasted (and ive tasted a lot) ...anyway it was a blend of a bunch of african coffees and i miss it so.

finder: hush you snob.

randycaver said:
I find it hilarious that people who know nothing about coffee or coffee drinks seem to think that french vanilla is the ONLY FLAVOR and that cappucinos are the only style of drink.
i used to love when someone would order a "large french vanilla capuccino" then take a sip and be all surprised... then they'd complain and of course, being starbucks, wed have to make it the way they want it (then make sure to tell them it's a venti 3 pump vanilla 3 pump hazelnut LATTE) and award them a free drunk coupon. grrr. but also funny hehe.

faithfully dangerous said:

It's still coffee to me. It has caffeine, it wakes me up, its hot, I put the COFFEE grinds in my COFFEE maker and it makes COFFEE.

Sorry if you don't find sense in that. Take it up with Folgers cause thats the brand I use. You may want to sue them for false advertising since the container clearly states that its coffee ;)

starlightgemini said:
It's still coffee to me. It has caffeine, it wakes me up, its hot, I put the COFFEE grinds in my COFFEE maker and it makes COFFEE.

Sorry if you don't find sense in that. Take it up with Folgers cause thats the brand I use. You may want to sue them for false advertising since the container clearly states that its coffee ;)

roflmao - um, I was thinking the same thing starlight........;)

FINDER i need you to back me up here.

add all the flavored creams and sugars you want, but if its flavored coffee... its not coffee. its ground up shit!

Out of curiosity then, how do they make flavored coffees? Of the ground and whole bean variety. And what is it then if its not really coffee?

Alright, everyone, FD is right here - that crap you get at the gas station is not coffee. It is a milk and sugar bomb with some brown liquid in it. Now, I know a lot of people like it, but that doesn't make it "real" coffee.

Real coffee also isn't flavored, as the region it is from gives it flavor, from the soil to the drying method, to the roast.

:)

I am a coffee god

Disclaimer: Drink what you want. If you like gas station "coffee", enjoy! I have a thing for shitty diner coffee for some reason. :\

Excerpts taken from CoffeeFAQ.com:
(My comments are in Italics)

Quality of coffee

"Fact: If you are buying "good" coffee, bean quality is the least important of these factors. The best bean will taste bad if any one of these other characteristics is out of place. Not all beans are equal but the other 4 keys to quality will even the field. I will take a lesser coffee that has been freshly roasted and ground any day over coffee that was roasted and ground then left to get stale no matter how good it was when it was fresh."

"Fact: A coffee can in the supermarket often contains large amounts of robusta, low quality Arabica beans and past crop (old) beans. To make things worse there is no way for the major coffee companies that roast and ship all over the country to get you truly fresh coffee." This is my problem with brands like Maxwell House, Folgers, and the like.

"Chances are you will not get truly fresh coffee in a supermarket. This is an absolute fact if it is pre-ground. In a coffee house look for a shop that roasts in-house and ask what was roasted that day."

Flavoring

"Flavorings really should not be needed in good coffee but we all want something a little different every now and again. As a general rule, adding your own flavoring is a better approach to drinking flavored coffee than buying pre-flavored coffee. Commercially-flavored coffee usually uses a low quality bean since most of the flavor will be masked by the chemical flavorings anyway. So be warned - in many cases you are paying a lot for cheap beans that have had a chemical added to them to make them more palatable. (YUCK!) It is my opinion that if you start with a good quality coffee, there is very little need for external flavorings. As in all things coffee, go with your taste. If you like flavored coffee by all means drink it!"

"If you buy flavored coffee wash all your coffee equipment thoroughly after brewing flavored coffee. The flavoring agents used will stick to anything used with them. Do not use the same grinder to grind flavored and unflavored coffee. It will take approximately 20 grinding of coffee to remove all the flavoring agents that stick to the internal part of the grinder."

Simple Ways to Add Flavor

"Chocolate syrup makes a great mocha. This is much better than Italian syrups.

Hot chocolate mix makes for a nice mocha and has sugar already added.

Altoids make a nice peppermint coffee.

Cinnamon is easy: just put it in the bottom of a filter for drip coffee. You can do the same for press coffee but you will have some extra sediment.

For nut coffee: grind roasted nut of the variety you want and put it in with the coffee as it brews. Generally speaking this will not be as strong as chemical flavorings.

Any extract you can buy can be used as a flavoring although I feel many extracts will give coffee a chemical flavor so you may get bad coffee with this method. Try to find extracts that do not use an alcohol base."

yelling at someone in all caps and imo acting like a snob about coffee is the wrong way to get your point across but um, whatever. I agree with Starlight - actually, if there is a coffee snob - I'm it.

Coffee is actually known as a 'sweet' drink but most people don't know that. I mean, if anyone wants a lesson on coffee, the makings of it - the differences in how certain countries process it differently - we could. Finder, thanks for the info and the tactful way you shared your information. Couth is always nice to have. :)

Here's the wiki on coffee. Quite an excellent read, plus there are some good links at the bottom, one of which I used for my previous post. Also, I thought MOS was right on with the "milk and sugar bomb" comment.

This day in coffee history..

1453: Coffee is introduced to Constantinople by Ottoman Turks. The world's first coffee shop, Kiva Han, open there in 1475. Turkish law makes it legal for a woman to divorce her husband if he fail to provide her with her daily quota of coffee.
(dont know if it is true, but it is funny :) ) was doing a little googling

edit, even better...

1668: Coffee replaces beer as New York's City's favorite breakfast drink.

*sigh* how I miss the olden days. :D

My what amazing alchemical feats I can accomplish after I add this dash of cinammon to my coffee. Behold the great DarthMom.

8(

If you are sayign that the crap in some stores isn't real coffee, because it has only some sort of coffe "flavoring" then perhaps you have a point, but simply taking what you said, it is incorrect.

FINDER i need you to back me up here.

add all the flavored creams and sugars you want, but if its flavored coffee... its not coffee. its ground up shit!

Shit coffee is supposed to be really good, though I've never tried it and have no plans to. There is some sort of rare/endangered cat-family animal in one of the poorer coffee producing countries that eats the coffee seed pods. The actual beans pass through undigested for the most part. Then people rummage through the poo and collect the beans that are intact. An enzyme of some sort in the animal's digestive tract alters the flavor of the beans without really digesting them. This stuff is worth something like $300/lb.

And no, I'm not high.. you could probably google for info.